Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer

caspergers posted:

Reclamation thing I guess, there's a stigma to being country and so they double down on how they identify with it. Not too dissimilar to what big bang theory did for nerds.

For the mintally handicapped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

My favorite country subgenre is songs from the perspective of the truck, and not the truck driver.

https://youtu.be/QJ9qoALYhl4
https://youtu.be/NPcT28IIP30

Lol wtf

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Holy poo poo, thought it was an art installation before I saw the second pic.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

davidspackage posted:

Holy poo poo, thought it was an art installation before I saw the second pic.

That kid is going to be in therapy some day because he associates death and loss with

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

What's even more interesting to me is the fact that the 'm' symbol is covered by candies probably due to copyright/trademark stuff.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

I didn't know that Eminem died.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.

McGavin posted:

I didn't know that Eminem died.

Close! Her name was Mary Ester Stocks Martin Gailey

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
Tucker Carlson won’t like this one bit

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
The blue m&m has a corpse in it.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Karate Bastard posted:

The blue m&m has a corpse in it.

Mmm chewy center

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

My favorite country subgenre is songs from the perspective of the truck, and not the truck driver.

https://youtu.be/QJ9qoALYhl4
https://youtu.be/NPcT28IIP30

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwdvbREwwDc

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

Close! Her name was Mary Ester Stocks Martin Gailey

The actual story is quite sweet (no pun intended)

https://metro.co.uk/2023/02/23/gran-was-so-obsessed-with-mms-she-was-buried-in-a-giant-sweet-18332848/amp/

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Why is the big M&M rubbing smaller M&Ms over its crotch

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

steinrokkan posted:

Why is the big M&M rubbing smaller M&Ms over its crotch

The spawn cycle of the m&m is poorly understood. Like turtles, seahorses, guppies?

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
And why can't I see its feet :argh:

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/zezOskI.mp4

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/yfl8xUz.gifv

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
:stonk: drat nature, you SCARY

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

That's loving disgusting.

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

Brb, gonna go submerge my own rear end in a top hat for a few minutes

Homocow
Apr 24, 2007

Extremely bad poster!
DO NOT QUOTE!

Pillbug

TotalLossBrain posted:

:stonk: drat nature, you SCARY

Hirayuki posted:

loving disgusting
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YB6O7jS_VBM&t=144s

Queen Gnome
Jul 30, 2006

Her Lawnliness

Noooooooooo :stonk:

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

I only know🧠 one1️⃣ thing🪨: I😡 want😤 to 🔪kill☠️… 😈Chaos😱… I need🥵 to. [TIME⏰ TO DIE☠️]
:same:
The Wikipedia article on these worms paints a pretty horrific picture. The Mantis ingests them as larvae, and they grow inside until...

"When it is mature, the worm secretes proteins that take over the host's nervous system, which directs the mantis to a body of water and causes it to jump in so that the worm can be excreted, at which point it breaks free to reproduce leaving a half empty mantis husk."

LEAVING A HALF EMPTY MANTIS HUSK

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

This kind of stuff--all the "mind"-controlling insects and fungus--is endlessly fascinating and deeply disturbing to me, in equal measure. I'll read about it forever and be so thoroughly horrified the entire time, but I can't tear myself away. A true curse.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Buddy, they won't even let me control it

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

I only know🧠 one1️⃣ thing🪨: I😡 want😤 to 🔪kill☠️… 😈Chaos😱… I need🥵 to. [TIME⏰ TO DIE☠️]
:same:

Decrepus posted:

Buddy, they won't even let me control it gently caress the worm hole

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Waste of Breath posted:

The Wikipedia article on these worms paints a pretty horrific picture. The Mantis ingests them as larvae, and they grow inside until...

"When it is mature, the worm secretes proteins that take over the host's nervous system, which directs the mantis to a body of water and causes it to jump in so that the worm can be excreted, at which point it breaks free to reproduce leaving a half empty mantis husk."

LEAVING A HALF EMPTY MANTIS HUSK

Hirayuki posted:

This kind of stuff--all the "mind"-controlling insects and fungus--is endlessly fascinating and deeply disturbing to me, in equal measure. I'll read about it forever and be so thoroughly horrified the entire time, but I can't tear myself away. A true curse.

According to my advanced scholarly research watching youtube and reading wiki pages, these kinda parasites exploit what's basically a bug in the bug metabolism, they don't infiltrate the brain itself, but excrete metabolites that then enter the brain and modify behavior -- the proteins that say "man ur thirsty jump in the river," or the ones that make ants really want to find humidity that's optimal for sporulation. These mechanisms don't exist in mammals and wouldn't work.

So far nothing as extreme as what afflicts bugs has been discovered that affects mammals. So far.

But there's toxoplasmosis, toxo modifies mammals to be less afraid of predators. More bold. Dumber decisions. Toxo needs cats to complete its life cycle though, but it still modifies behavior. Mice aren't as scared of cats. Wolves infected with toxo take more risks and are more likely to leave their packs and start new ones, even though they aren't that likely to get eaten by lynxes or cougars or jaguars or whatever. There's evidence that maybe even 1/3 of humans could be chronically infected. There's even a gangtag for it!

And ofc rabies makes you avoid drinking water and drool out a lot of virons and get bitey. And gruesomely die.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins

SniperWoreConverse posted:

And ofc rabies makes you avoid drinking water and drool out a lot of virons and get bitey. And gruesomely die.

Rabies is really the stuff of nightmares. Make a movie about rabies going airborne, it'd be the scariest disaster/slasher movie ever.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
There is an extremely small chance you can develop some level of immunity from a bite. Like 5 known cases.

80% you get rage mode, 20% you get paralytic. Paralytic rabies usually doesn't make you afraid of water at least!

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins
Ok, good, that leaves 5 survivors at the end of the movie then.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

SniperWoreConverse posted:

So far nothing as extreme as what afflicts bugs has been discovered that affects mammals. So far.

But there's toxoplasmosis

And ofc rabies
I'm not sure my interest/revulsion stems so much from a fear that it's coming to get us next, necessarily, but in the (seemingly) calculating horribleness of the controlling parties, as it were. It's awful and amazing that poo poo evolved to be able to control other creatures even through multiple hosts to get to where it needs to be evolutionarily. Even the way Ebola and other hemorrhagic fevers make their victims bleed out in a spectacular fashion because it spreads so well through blood (similar to rabies drool/biteyness). That stuff always fascinated/repelled me in the same way: that these tiny, sometimes even microscopic entities--some of which aren't technically alive--"know" how to do nasty, nasty poo poo in the name of furthering their kind. :shudder:

Also, it's just gross to see these worms emerging from a mantis or cricket rear end.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Nigmaetcetera posted:

Rabies is really the stuff of nightmares. Make a movie about rabies going airborne, it'd be the scariest disaster/slasher movie ever.

"Quarantine" had the premise of some kind of super-rabies. It wasn't airborne though. It was one of those movies that gave away the ending in the trailer, so it could have been better. Maybe the "Rec" series it was based on expanded it, but I haven't seen them.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Hirayuki posted:

I'm not sure my interest/revulsion stems so much from a fear that it's coming to get us next, necessarily, but in the (seemingly) calculating horribleness of the controlling parties, as it were. It's awful and amazing that poo poo evolved to be able to control other creatures even through multiple hosts to get to where it needs to be evolutionarily. Even the way Ebola and other hemorrhagic fevers make their victims bleed out in a spectacular fashion because it spreads so well through blood (similar to rabies drool/biteyness). That stuff always fascinated/repelled me in the same way: that these tiny, sometimes even microscopic entities--some of which aren't technically alive--"know" how to do nasty, nasty poo poo in the name of furthering their kind. :shudder:

Also, it's just gross to see these worms emerging from a mantis or cricket rear end.

It's 99% throwing poo poo at the wall to see what sticks. Hundreds of millions of years of selection pressures on something whose lifecycle might be as short as a few days means you have uncountable opportunities for transcription errors and sheer dumb luck to end up with something whose confluence of symptoms and spread mechanisms looks almost like someone designed it that way.

It's like the entire reason flu-like-symptoms are a thing is because they're an amazing way for a virus with an airborne component to be able to spread itself. If some random virus develops a protein coat that causes hay fever, it's way more likely to win the evolution powerball and make 10^20 copies of itself.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

Hirayuki posted:

Mutations that increase survival/propagation spread like wildfire, assuming they're able to get a foothold. I'm sure mutations that did plenty of other kinds of horrifying poo poo died on the vine because the organisms that developed them didn't survive to reproduce in sufficient quantities to become widespread.

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

It's 99% throwing poo poo at the wall to see what sticks. Hundreds of millions of years of selection pressures on something whose lifecycle might be as short as a few days means you have uncountable opportunities for transcription errors and sheer dumb luck to end up with something whose confluence of symptoms and spread mechanisms looks almost like someone designed it that way.

It's like the entire reason flu-like-symptoms are a thing is because they're an amazing way for a virus with an airborne component to be able to spread itself. If some random virus develops a protein coat that causes hay fever, it's way more likely to win the evolution powerball and make 10^20 copies of itself.

Also this.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Takes No Damage posted:

Here's what I got so far ^^^
Ooo... sorry, but thanks for playing!

1. I'm so Lonesome I Could Cry
2. Stand By Your Man
3. Ring of Fire
4. Act Naturally
5. Harper Valley PTA
6. The Night the Lights Went Out in Georgia
7. Take This Job and Shove It

And
A. Coal Miners Daughter
B. Okie From Muscogee
C. Luckenbach, Texas
D. In America

All pre 1980, some pre 70.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

https://i.imgur.com/8UGhbhY.mp4

Mushroom isn't poisonous, just bitter.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

Waffle! posted:

"Quarantine" had the premise of some kind of super-rabies. It wasn't airborne though. It was one of those movies that gave away the ending in the trailer, so it could have been better. Maybe the "Rec" series it was based on expanded it, but I haven't seen them.

"Rec" gave away the ending on the front of the DVD cover.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Admiral Joeslop posted:

https://i.imgur.com/8UGhbhY.mp4

Mushroom isn't poisonous, just bitter.

Maybe the spider crawling up his face at the end was the part that he was regretting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Proof there is a God.