Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Booty Pageant posted:

i can't wait for our future of ai driven chabuduo

my coworker had a student submit a chatgpt essay for a non-graded, take home practice exam

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

GoutPatrol posted:

my coworker had a student submit a chatgpt essay for a non-graded, take home practice exam

I had a student confide in me that he used chatgpt to write a poem for another class, because I'm the AI guy and stuff and, I dunno, he's a dumb teenager who tells his teacher he used chatgpt to write a poem.

So I went to half-narc on him, just to tell the teacher "some of your students are using AI to write their assignments" and I started by saying "hey I heard you had them write poems?" and she told me "oh, no, but one student wrote this really nice poem he wanted to share! I was so proud of him"

And then I just said "ah that's.... that's real cool! Yeah..." and didn't narc on him because I just felt kinda sad about the whole thing.

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005
Hey do you want that motherboard?
Naw, China's response paper is pretty blatantly pro-Russian for the most part. It's oblique but stuff like:
"The security of a region should not be achieved by strengthening or expanding military blocs. ... help forge a balanced, effective and sustainable European security architecture" reads pretty easily as anti-NATO expansion

"Dialogue and negotiation are the only viable solution to the Ukraine crisis. All efforts conducive to the peaceful settlement of the crisis must be encouraged and supported" is a fairly strong push to give Russia concessions and territory to end the war

while "Stopping unilateral sanctions. Unilateral sanctions and maximum pressure cannot solve the issue" is just a blatant call to remove Russian sanctions

and "Promoting post-conflict reconstruction. The international community needs to take measures to support post-conflict reconstruction in conflict zones. " specifically does not request restitution from Russia but from the broader world.

but of course,

"China stands ready to provide assistance and play a constructive role in this endeavor"

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
it signals an end to idiot drunken 3am tweet-style wolf war diplomacy, at least

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

bob dobbs is dead posted:

it signals an end to idiot drunken 3am tweet-style wolf war diplomacy, at least

lavrov boldly volunteers to carry the flame

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
peace with chinese characteristics

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

Herstory Begins Now posted:

lavrov boldly volunteers to carry the flame

Lavrov lights the fire inside, begins cultivating his qi

Zakrello
Feb 17, 2015

missile imbound

that thing, smell like rear end, looks like rear end, even came with fart sound

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk
So I got some serious family drama going on and I'm hoping you can help me with some context.
Long story short:
My older brother is in China at the moment with his wife and their two children.
They are visiting the wife's parents in Yueyang. (Apparently my brother currently only knows for certain that they are 2-3 car drive from Changsha International Airport).
His wife is making his life completely intolerable and is basically maneuvering things to make him look like the villain in order to either make him suffer or to get custody of the children while they are still in China
She has physical control of all the paperwork that allowed them entry to china, including passport, travel visa and airline tickets.
On her insisting, they haven't bothered with getting Chinese cash for the trip, instead relying entirely on visa cards. As well as her ability to draw cash that she had transferred before traveling, plus use of Chinese apps on her phone.
I don't know about their personal finances, but it seems like they have somewhat separate bank accounts.
Their tickets are worded such that each parent is accompanied by on child each.
Their flight home isn't happening until about a month from now.

They traveled on a Chinese airliner and had to show a negative covid test on departure from Denmark. He is unsure if the same is needed upon departure from China, whether those requirements would be based on a national requirement or depending on which airline he chose.
He has no clue about his options to change the tickets and still be able to leave with both children, since they were all made through the process of him transferring money to her, which she then used to setup her ticket with one child attached. Then she set up a ticket for him with the other child attached, which he paid for directly.
He does have some emails from the airline, regarding the order he paid for directly, to prove that this is in fact, his ticket.

He has forwarded copies of the mails he has received from the airline to me, in case you think there is anything of note in there.

So what I need from you, is help figuring out the culturally different pressure points that I'm just not seeing as a European living in an entirely different style of nation.
Can he get by on just a Visa card? How difficult would it be to draw cash from an ATM?
Will he need a money order sent from us back in Scandinavia?
How hosed is he regarding getting the kids out of the country? They are Danish born citizens and have as far as I know only got Danish citizenship, but I don't know how much that counts for when their mother is Chinese, they are in China and she is in control of the papers allowing them to be in the country.

My mom is...not having the best morning and I've promised I'll deal with all this for her until we can get some more people involved (it is 6.09 am on a Saturday here in Denmark and she is not happy to hear that we should give people a chance to wake up if we want them to be at all useful).

I'm up dealing with this poo poo at "wtf time is it even" after having recovered from a seizure just last evening, so if we could skip the shitposting stage and go straight to the "serious effort post" or "only continue this in PM with this particular poster", I'd really appreciate it.

Edit:
Update: He is NOT in Yueyang, beyond that he still only knows they are 2-3 hours car drive from Changsha International Airport.
They are in his wife's parents' apartment (which he has paid for, its the first time he has ever seen the place), but beyond that, he has no loving clue where he is, which is...a bit worrisome.

SerthVarnee fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Feb 25, 2023

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

SerthVarnee posted:

So I got some serious family drama going on and I'm hoping you can help me with some context.
Long story short:
My older brother is in China at the moment with his wife and their two children.
They are visiting the wife's parents in Yueyang. (Apparently my brother currently only knows for certain that they are 2-3 car drive from Changsha International Airport).
His wife is making his life completely intolerable and is basically maneuvering things to make him look like the villain in order to either make him suffer or to get custody of the children while they are still in China
She has physical control of all the paperwork that allowed them entry to china, including passport, travel visa and airline tickets.
On her insisting, they haven't bothered with getting Chinese cash for the trip, instead relying entirely on visa cards. As well as her ability to draw cash that she had transferred before traveling, plus use of Chinese apps on her phone.
I don't know about their personal finances, but it seems like they have somewhat separate bank accounts.
Their tickets are worded such that each parent is accompanied by on child each.
Their flight home isn't happening until about a month from now.

They traveled on a Chinese airliner and had to show a negative covid test on departure from Denmark. He is unsure if the same is needed upon departure from China, whether those requirements would be based on a national requirement or depending on which airline he chose.
He has no clue about his options to change the tickets and still be able to leave with both children, since they were all made through the process of him transferring money to her, which she then used to setup her ticket with one child attached. Then she set up a ticket for him with the other child attached, which he paid for directly.
He does have some emails from the airline, regarding the order he paid for directly, to prove that this is in fact, his ticket.

He has forwarded copies of the mails he has received from the airline to me, in case you think there is anything of note in there.

So what I need from you, is help figuring out the culturally different pressure points that I'm just not seeing as a European living in an entirely different style of nation.
Can he get by on just a Visa card? How difficult would it be to draw cash from an ATM?
Will he need a money order sent from us back in Scandinavia?
How hosed is he regarding getting the kids out of the country? They are Danish born citizens and have as far as I know only got Danish citizenship, but I don't know how much that counts for when their mother is Chinese, they are in China and she is in control of the papers allowing them to be in the country.

My mom is...not having the best morning and I've promised I'll deal with all this for her until we can get some more people involved (it is 6.09 am on a Saturday here in Denmark and she is not happy to hear that we should give people a chance to wake up if we want them to be at all useful).

I'm up dealing with this poo poo at "wtf time is it even" after having recovered from a seizure just last evening, so if we could skip the shitposting stage and go straight to the "serious effort post" or "only continue this in PM with this particular poster", I'd really appreciate it.

Edit:
Update: He is NOT in Yueyang, beyond that he still only knows they are 2-3 hours car drive from Changsha International Airport.
They are in his wife's parents' apartment (which he has paid for, its the first time he has ever seen the place), but beyond that, he has no loving clue where he is, which is...a bit worrisome.

gently caress me.

Does he not have a map app on his phone? Or a VPN? Even the crappy free ones seem to be working ok now. He'll need to set up WeChat as well...

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

Seriousposting, if things are dire and he really needs to GTFO then priority number one is to somehow find and get physical control of his and the kids' passports.

Aside from that, I believe it is possible to set up a Wechat wallet and/or Alipay with a foreign number and link them to a foreign credit card for a method of payment, but I've never done it with a non-Chinese number. That would give him the ability to use rideshare apps such as Didi (which has an English interface) to book his own transportation. The Trip.com app (formerly Ctrip) is also all-English and lets you book trains + domestic/international flights and pay with an overseas card.

However, he will definitely need at least his own passport to check into any hotel in China, and definitely his + the kids' passports to travel on domestic/international flights. I don't believe there are any COVID test requirements to fly out of China any more, and on the other end would depend on where they are going to. (It looks like the EU decided to stop requiring tests on travelers from China at the end of Feb, but I have no idea what individual countries are doing in the meantime.)

If things are as dire as it seems then it may be easier to just let go of the tickets that were purchased and buy new ones. If nothing else Hong Kong has no test requirements at all that I'm aware of and would at least be out of China, and also probably has a lot more flights to the EU at this point than China. Looks like there's no direct flights from Changsha unfortunately.

This is all going to be a much bigger can of worms though if the kids have Chinese citizenship and/or entered on a Chinese passport.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Porfiriato posted:

Seriousposting, if things are dire and he really needs to GTFO then priority number one is to somehow find and get physical control of his and the kids' passports.

Yeah this times 1000

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

Big Super Slapstick Hunk
The oldest child is born in China, the youngest is born in Denmark. They are 8 and 6 years old and I'll need to ask him about their citizenships and which passports they entered the country with.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I’d put a lot of money on all of them having Chinese passports and welp…

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme

SerthVarnee posted:

How hosed is he regarding getting the kids out of the country?

The ATMs in China work just like everywhere else. You put in your card and select how much you want to take out.

The kid that was born in Denmark can leave with just a passport, the other one needs the Entry and Exit Permit along with a passport (assuming they also have a Danish passport and not Chinese).

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

Big Super Slapstick Hunk
Thank you all for the replies, I really appreciate all the help and info I can get at this stage.

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

Big Super Slapstick Hunk
Will he be able to put both children on his own airline ticket? They had to attach one child to each adult ticket and buy each adult ticket separately in order to be in compliance with Visa transaction limits.
But that sounds more like a banking issue than a Chinese rules issue, since I'm assuming he meant Visa card and not Tourist Visa paperwork.

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme

SerthVarnee posted:

Will he be able to put both children on his own airline ticket? They had to attach one child to each adult ticket and buy each adult ticket separately in order to be in compliance with Visa transaction limits.

Does your brother not realize you can change your credit card transaction limits to whatever yourself?

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

There should be zero problem from the airline/government with him making a reservation for one adult + 2 child tickets. If he's running into some sort of limit on a single transaction with Visa then calling the card issuer and explaining the situation might be able to get around that.

e: or if he can change the limit himself then I dunno why this is a problem, unless somehow his total line of credit is too low to afford all 3 tickets.

Porfiriato fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Feb 25, 2023

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

Big Super Slapstick Hunk
I got no clue why he has things set up the way he does.
All I got is the somewhat limited info he sent me in a chain of emails.
They've been there for 16 days and she has made his life a living hell from day 1.
The simpler we can make this for him the better, cause I have never, ever, experienced him telling me that he is too mentally stressed to look up rules himself.
He lives for rules.

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme

SerthVarnee posted:

He lives for rules.

This is like that person who went to Korea to sober up someone mentioned in one of the earlier China threads

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Darkest Auer posted:

The ATMs in China work just like everywhere else. You put in your card and select how much you want to take out.

I've had a bunch that don't work with my foreign card, but it's random and I just hit up a few banks and randomly one will work. I got 3 banks on my block and one of them works.

I'm just thinking that might be a big east china city thing vs a middle of nowhere China thing, or maybe cuz my bank in America is a smaller credit union, but just mentioning in case he goes to one bank it doesn't work and gives up all hope.

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

Big Super Slapstick Hunk
Got an update on where he is:

My brother is telling me that he is near:
Guo Songtao memorial

Foelgende er med stavefejl
Bydel eller forstad til changsha ved navn
Dje mien far yuan

translates to:
the following is with typos
city-part or suburb of Changsha with the name:
Dje mien far yuan

Any help narrowing this down to a confirmed area of the map would be appreciated.

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

Maybe this place which is north of Changsha, but like, does he not have any phone with any map app whatsoever?

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle
https://www.google.com/maps/place/D...Fg%2F11h6qyc63f

Maybe?

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

Big Super Slapstick Hunk

Porfiriato posted:

but like, does he not have any phone with any map app whatsoever?

He claims that such a feature does not work in China (I know my brother, this means that he can't figure it out, therefore it cannot exist. If it can exist, then it cannot be taught to him by me, specifically, because I'm his younger brother by 9 years and thus cannot know better than him. I've learned to work around this obstacle instead of trying to brute force my way through that).

Baddog
May 12, 2001
I can sympathize, I don't do well when I'm in changsha for a month either, hah! But I think maybe he needs to make up with the wife and come to grips on being dependent on her for a month, instead of attempting to flee the country with the children. At least if he can't even locate himself on a map....

Baby steps. He's gotta figure some things out there, and I think he's just completely lost and confused and done with it. That gets you frustrated and angry.

Rabelais D
Dec 11, 2012

ts'u nnu k'u k'o t'khye:
A demon doth defecate at thy door
If you can't use WeChat or alipay because you don't have a Chinese address or sim card or whatever it can be a massive pain to do anything in China.

The world only functions through those apps and foreigners who can't use them exist in some sort of nether realm unable to do many basic things.

If you add that to being illiterate and disoriented and stuck with your in laws who might hate you in a soulless suburb, well it sounds like a living hell.

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

Baddog posted:

Baby steps. He's gotta figure some things out there, and I think he's just completely lost and confused and done with it. That gets you frustrated and angry.

I'm coming around to this point of view as well. I'm guessing this is maybe the first time he's ever been to China and he's maybe never met the in-laws before? And doesn't speak Chinese, and has been relying on his wife to do all of the logistics? And this is his first time meeting all the extended famliy and being thrust into the middle of Chinese family dynamics and power relations?

At the very least if he can't even figure out a way to determine exactly where he is, it does not bode well for his ability to get himself and a couple kids to a major city hours away and onto an international flight on his own. If it's only a few more weeks the easiest thing might be to just grin and bear it through whatever difficulties he's having until he can get his family out of the country.

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

Big Super Slapstick Hunk
This is of course just his side of the story that I'm getting, but she is dumping all the pent up frustration from having lived in Denmark for 11 years, not coping well with the change, feeling cut off from China, raising two children, hearing about her father going to the hospital for regular surgery over a period of...6 months, being unable to go see her parents due to COVID and finally coming to see them just as her mother has to go into two surgeries in a row for something related to her eyes.
So there is a lot of pent up frustration coming out now that she is on home turf and my brother got completely blindsided.

The frustration has been unleashed on him for 16 days straight so far and he is mentioning that she is making his life absolute hell, taking pains to do so only in English so the parents and kids don't realize its happening. She is sabotaging his internet to gently caress with his ability to work remotely, trying to throw his wallet and keys out of the apartment and is wandering around occasionally saying things like: "why is he still here? I want him gone when I wake up".

Now to be charitable to my brother, he absolutely does his utmost to make this work in any way he can.
To be a bit more blunt, my brother's ability to handle...uh...anything...regarding emotions is limited to put it mildly.

I can't make any clear judgement on what is right or wrong or what they should do.
All I can do is help him figure out where he actually is and what travel options are available to him.

He has been to China 2 or 3 times before, he is learning Chinese but is not at all near any level of useful beyond asking where the bathroom is.
His idea of emotional commitment is usually to be deadpan and materially focused, which means that his wife is having more stimulating emotional conversations with a dead fish.
Dude is emotionally stunted and I could have told him this trip would be a mistake, but older brother obviously knows best.
If someone can point out a step by step approach to getting these things setup, I'd really appreciate it.

SerthVarnee fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Feb 25, 2023

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

Big Super Slapstick Hunk
I'd also just like to sincerely thank you for the map coordinates.
I've passed them on to him asking him if that looks about right.

He and I don't see eye to eye on a lot things, but he is still my brother and I need him back in Denmark so we can keep calling each other childish names and frustrating my mom with our rivalry.

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

Big Super Slapstick Hunk
I'm sorry if I start to sound defensive or argumentative here.
I had an epileptic seizure just before going to bed (small seizure at least, but still hosed me up), got 5 hours of very bad sleep and got woken up at 5am by my mom having some serious anxiety over the latest depressing update from my brother.
Since then I've been doing amateur detective work for 6 hours with my hanging over my shoulder asking for updates or spinning up theories ever 5-10 seconds.

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

SerthVarnee posted:

I'd also just like to sincerely thank you for the map coordinates.
I've passed them on to him asking him if that looks about right.

He and I don't see eye to eye on a lot things, but he is still my brother and I need him back in Denmark so we can keep calling each other childish names and frustrating my mom with our rivalry.

If his map app (probably google) doesn't work in china it still won't work even if he has coordinates, and even if he has a VPN to make it work it will still be offset by a couple of hundred meters because knowing exactly where you are is a state secret and the unnamed countries war plans will fail utterly because they rely on google to call in artillery strikes.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Porfiriato posted:

I'm coming around to this point of view as well. I'm guessing this is maybe the first time he's ever been to China and he's maybe never met the in-laws before? And doesn't speak Chinese, and has been relying on his wife to do all of the logistics? And this is his first time meeting all the extended famliy and being thrust into the middle of Chinese family dynamics and power relations?

At the very least if he can't even figure out a way to determine exactly where he is, it does not bode well for his ability to get himself and a couple kids to a major city hours away and onto an international flight on his own. If it's only a few more weeks the easiest thing might be to just grin and bear it through whatever difficulties he's having until he can get his family out of the country.

It's completely disorienting and he's probably not used to being dependent and treated like a child, yep. And it's causing all this marital strife, he's having a meltdown. Not being able to understand what's going on. I mean, try to figure out if he's actually being abused.... But man, doesn't sound like it. He just was not ready at all, hah!

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

Big Super Slapstick Hunk
He has responded by saying the map location you picked out seems correct, he now vaguely remembers having seen a sign saying dongmao road.
He also mentioned he thinks he has heard the name yuhar before.
I'm not sure if he is mentioning a new detail I need to search for or confirming with additional knowledge that the suggested location is correct.

regarding the entry papers, he says
Both children have entered China on Chinese entry permits. The youngest, who was born in Denmark, has NOT entered on Visa in Danish Passport.
I got no clue what the gently caress that sentence is supposed to mean.

He seems to be of the opinion that there is hope for their relationship once she has had a chance to properly decompress after a whole decade of feeling stifled.
Thanks again for your help. I really appreciate it.

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

SerthVarnee posted:

I'm sorry if I start to sound defensive or argumentative here.
I had an epileptic seizure just before going to bed (small seizure at least, but still hosed me up), got 5 hours of very bad sleep and got woken up at 5am by my mom having some serious anxiety over the latest depressing update from my brother.
Since then I've been doing amateur detective work for 6 hours with my hanging over my shoulder asking for updates or spinning up theories ever 5-10 seconds.

Nah, you're doing fine being thrust into the middle of a lovely situation trying to figure out what's going on from half a world away.

I still think if it's a matter of sucking it up and dealing with it for a couple more weeks that might be the best option. Step zero in any case should be figuring out where (and ideally securing) their passports, even if they're staying. And if he wants to leave nothing is going to be happening without them.

One other thing to consider is if he tries to leave with the kids and his wife goes scorched-earth and calls the police and accuses him of kidnapping them. I don't know their family dynamics so I don't know how likely that is, but that would be a bad, bad situation to be in, especially when it's the word of a Chinese national vs a foreigner. He's in what appears to be a county town hours away from a provincial capital, if he decides to leave it's going to take a while to get out of the country.

e: and this goes doubly so if the kids are there on Chinese passports vs foreign ones, which it sounds like might be the case.

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

Big Super Slapstick Hunk

Baddog posted:

It's completely disorienting and he's probably not used to being dependent and treated like a child, yep. And it's causing all this marital strife, he's having a meltdown. Not being able to understand what's going on. I mean, try to figure out if he's actually being abused.... But man, doesn't sound like it. He just was not ready at all, hah!

he is used to being given the full bore of her emotions, or whatever constitutes full bore when she is half a planet away from her safe zone. He was not expecting this level of poo poo thrown at him.
And yeah, he is used to being in control, knowing the rules, abiding all the rules and planning with the expectation of the rules being set in stone.
He does not deal well with feeling helpless and she is most likely giving him a taste of the poo poo she has been through for a decade. Can't say I blame her, really.
I just want to make sure they don't do anything stupid that gets them in actual danger.

Rabelais D
Dec 11, 2012

ts'u nnu k'u k'o t'khye:
A demon doth defecate at thy door
If he's in China now it means his wife got him a family visit visa, an important detail might be whether she got him a single entry or a multiple entry visa. If it's multiple entry there's nothing stopping him going and coming back at some point (usually they are valid for one or two years), if it's single entry there's no way he can actually leave and get back into China without applying for another one (which will require an invitation letter from the wife or in laws).

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

Big Super Slapstick Hunk
Good point, I'll pass that along.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme
I'm trying not to shitpost, but if your brother cannot figure out how to open up a loving a map application and/or type in baidu.com on his phone then there's absolutely nothing you can do to save him from what increasingly appears to be a normal Chinese family gathering.