Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pesterchum
Nov 8, 2009

clown car to hell choo choo

Harrow posted:

Yeah sylvari lore is weird and I think it was originally intended to be slightly unsettling in that "unseelie fae" way. They appear humanoid because the Pale Tree used a human corpse as the blueprint.

They sorta ended up more tame than that in the long run but they're still cool and definitely my favorite race to play

https://web.archive.org/web/20131121023510/http://guildwars2roleplay.wikispaces.com/A+Comprehensive+Guide+to+All+Things+Sylvari

Here's where a lot of the stuff was compiled back in the day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

Harrow posted:

I'm suddenly remembering how a roleplaying forum had a Q&A with one of the writers/lore developers before the game initially launched and one of the questions they had to answer was whether Sylvari could have sex

the answer was yes, they can't reproduce but because they were literally modeled on humans in-universe they can and do have sex recreationally

This is important roleplaying knowledge

something something age laws

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Trip report: I have no idea what I'm doing on Rev but I push a bunch of buttons and things die so that's cool

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Meowywitch posted:

Trip report: I have no idea what I'm doing on Rev but I push a bunch of buttons and things die so that's cool

If you've levelled up enough to unlock elite skills, going for a mace+axe tanky condi build and swapping between the dwarf hammer aura and the demon elite torment aura while using weapon skills 2-4 off cooldown is still pretty boss. Keep a staff as a backup weapon: staff 5 + dwarf chains will destroy pretty much any breakbar

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Finally heat “my story” and Jesus Christ they padded that poo poo wayyyyyy too much. Also the final mission is bad. Now onto the expansions until Tuesday when GW2 gets shelved for a few weeks for Ligjtfall!

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

FlapYoJacks posted:

Finally heat “my story” and Jesus Christ they padded that poo poo wayyyyyy too much. Also the final mission is bad. Now onto the expansions!

The final mission really does suck and that apparently hasn't changed in ten years

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Ever since I beat it at release my first thought was "that was a placeholder until they patch the actual zhaitan fight in right?"

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Ever since I beat it at release my first thought was "that was a placeholder until they patch the actual zhaitan fight in right?"

lmao

yeah it's really bad

this trend continues to HoT

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

And it wasnt really soloable at launch.

So you had to have friends that pitied you and would sit for an hour or whatever it took to do while everyone on Vent was saying how crap this was and how much they hated you.

Which was fine because you ended up doing the same for someone else like a month later...

I like to sit back and think of the first group of people that got to that part of the story and where probably bustling with excitement, first people doing it, man that would ahve been soooo cool. And then they got zhiatan. lol

Hell i remember getting to that part and everyone is like, oh god... please wait a day or two so i can do it again with you and XXXXX so i dont have to do it again for a while.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
Oh god, yeah wasn't the final mission against Zhaitan basically a very, very long strike mission/dungeon that required 5 people until a couple years after the game was out?

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

It was just story mode of Arah, same as story mode of any dungeon so five people. Except much longer and shittier. They patched it so story mode was soloable, that's all. However I don't think it took years, I'm pretty sure it was long before HoT came out? I had never gotten around to running the dungeon so I was excited I could finally beat the story.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
I'd really recommend new players to skip the core game story, nothing important happens in it anyway that can't be summed up in two sentences.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

I think bits of the core story are worth it, depending on your choices of race, starting option, and order it can be fun enough. Destiny's Edge is fun enough through the dungeon story modes as well, imo (pity the dungeons themselves arent great, and good luck finding a group). It just totally shits the bed when it converges for the end.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

Is there a way to choose between Priory/Shadows/Vigil without the personal story? Because there are some really good skins there.

Flytitle
Nov 12, 2012
If you unlock them once on your account, all characters have access to them. However, you still gotta get at least one character to the point of unlocking each.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
The core story is at least good for getting a black lion key really fast if you are into that, and you can get a 2nd key right after choosing one of the factions on a character.

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005

FlapYoJacks posted:

Finally heat “my story” and Jesus Christ they padded that poo poo wayyyyyy too much. Also the final mission is bad. Now onto the expansions until Tuesday when GW2 gets shelved for a few weeks for Ligjtfall!

The thing is, it was handled differently at launch. You weren't able to access the next chapter of your personal story until you hit certain level caps. So you'd make a brand new Asura, gently caress around Metrica for an hour, then get mail from Zojja about a quest. You'd then do your personal story instance for a bit, get some cool new items, etc, then head out to Brisban Wildlands to kill bandits and sylvari. Then around iirc level 20? You got your next personal story thing, and so on.

It annoyed people because the personal story poo poo didnt always exactly align with your level. So the instanced mobs could be slightly higher or tougher and you'd just wipe to inquest goons until you went back to killing skritt or whatever.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
I mean, that's still the case more or less? Your personal story quests still unlock at specific levels. In between it'll point you towards whatever the nearest experience-giving thing is. Now there's that cheevo-based character advancement thing so aside from getting keys you can just follow that to victory and ignore the personal story altogether past the first chapter, but when I do my (completely non-boosted, non-optimized) key characters it's still start->dick around->intro quest chain->dick around->key quest chain.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

AmbientParadox posted:

The thing is, it was handled differently at launch. You weren't able to access the next chapter of your personal story until you hit certain level caps. So you'd make a brand new Asura, gently caress around Metrica for an hour, then get mail from Zojja about a quest. You'd then do your personal story instance for a bit, get some cool new items, etc, then head out to Brisban Wildlands to kill bandits and sylvari. Then around iirc level 20? You got your next personal story thing, and so on.

It annoyed people because the personal story poo poo didnt always exactly align with your level. So the instanced mobs could be slightly higher or tougher and you'd just wipe to inquest goons until you went back to killing skritt or whatever.

maybe i'm remembering it wrong, i thought that you got full access to the story but whether you were correctly leveled or not was the player's problem? so i could go start the level 50 quest at level 40 and get my rear end kicked

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

where the red fern gropes posted:

maybe i'm remembering it wrong, i thought that you got full access to the story but whether you were correctly leveled or not was the player's problem? so i could go start the level 50 quest at level 40 and get my rear end kicked

That is correct. The split into every 10 levels thing happened down the line.

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005
oh dear sorry. i got the brain worms please understand.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Meeko posted:

You still need to be kind of selective with what you wear of course since some textures don't downscale very well to Asura size, but the dumbass bare toes thing stopped being a issue mercifully.

Meanwhile, Charr unfortunately remain poo poo out of luck to this day, having very few footwear or outfit options that don't entirely chop the shoes off like Tauren boots in WoW, and even fewer if we discount footwear that just shoves them into humanoid-shaped boots.

I tried, hard, to make a charr last night. I needed a rev and didn't want to play human, big human, or green human. After a lot of work I got one that looked relatively reasonable. Then they put the Rev headband on and it's just kind of draped over the long neck in a way that would flop off the second you moved. The armor set in the preview (what is that armor set?) was at least reasonable, using a neck strap to hold the blindfold, but the actual armor... nope. Combined with claws-through-the-boots and the long neck in general I just couldn't.

TL;DR - So I rolled another Asura.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

Mailer posted:

I tried, hard, to make a charr last night. I needed a rev and didn't want to play human, big human, or green human. After a lot of work I got one that looked relatively reasonable. Then they put the Rev headband on and it's just kind of draped over the long neck in a way that would flop off the second you moved. The armor set in the preview (what is that armor set?) was at least reasonable, using a neck strap to hold the blindfold, but the actual armor... nope. Combined with claws-through-the-boots and the long neck in general I just couldn't.

That's the Mistward Armor, it's the armor that Rytlock uses. So it's basically designed to look acceptable on a charr, and it's not too difficult to pick up.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Speaking of Rev while I do like it so far (i'm only level 25), I will say by its nature this class is the one that suffers the most from not being just boosted to 80 from the off

but hey, game's chill so w/e

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Mailer posted:

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

The Rev preview armor is still Mistward, right?
It's a special collection armor set that I absolutely hate because having a thousand spikes all over your armor is a good way to shishkebab yourself the first time you trip.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Inzombiac posted:

The Rev preview armor is still Mistward, right?
It's a special collection armor set that I absolutely hate because having a thousand spikes all over your armor is a good way to shishkebab yourself the first time you trip.

It's the Blood Legion way.

Orv
May 4, 2011
You know, I never set out seeking to make a new supervillain fit in GW2 but I always seem to end up there by the time I'm happy with a characters look. Maybe I should just lean into that weird skill.

Isn't that right, M. Bison done by Dark Horse?

Silynt
Sep 21, 2009

Orv posted:

You know, I never set out seeking to make a new supervillain fit in GW2 but I always seem to end up there by the time I'm happy with a characters look. Maybe I should just lean into that weird skill.

Isn't that right, M. Bison done by Dark Horse?

I’m pretty sure this is Galactus.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Silynt posted:

I’m pretty sure this is Galactus.

Y’ain’t wrong.

Meeko
Sep 15, 2017

That's right! I'm the counting sheep, Meeko. And I'm a proper sheep youkai!

Mailer posted:

Yeah, Charr are pretty much...only playable because of fan demand. All the issues they have are kinda living proof why player models in MMOs don't tend to scale very far from a humanoid base.

It's absolutely comical how large certain assets get because of Charr model scaling.

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?
Rama would be so jealous.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Meowywitch posted:

Speaking of Rev while I do like it so far (i'm only level 25), I will say by its nature this class is the one that suffers the most from not being just boosted to 80 from the off

They all do. You build a character by first progressing 1-80 as a completely different character, then do a whirlwind tour of EoD to get the points for the character you're actually going to play, then (if it's your first one) grind the cash (and/or HoT) to get proper gear for your character... and then you can start playing the game.

I haven't really looked at Elementalist/Warrior/Ranger/Thief but from what I've seen so far the booster gear is most useful to Engineer and Guardian for splashing into healing in strikes/fractals.

Mailer fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Feb 27, 2023

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Most of the time, level-appropriate gear is like a few silver while leveling up, and you'll level up loving Quick. When you're 80 you need like 15 gold to get all berserker exotics.

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

jokes posted:

Most of the time, level-appropriate gear is like a few silver while leveling up, and you'll level up loving Quick. When you're 80 you need like 15 gold to get all berserker exotics.

sub 6 gold for named armor and ruby orichalcum right side

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
One of the best parts of the personal story in the present day is that there are the missions where you go to Lion's Arch and the missions take place in the Good Lion's Arch and then you get thrown back into the current, lovely Lion's Arch.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
One of the small changes I'd really want to see is to make elite specs available when leveling. The scaling is all in place anyway, no reason you shouldn't be able to play them straight after the intro.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Mr. Neutron posted:

One of the small changes I'd really want to see is to make elite specs available when leveling. The scaling is all in place anyway, no reason you shouldn't be able to play them straight after the intro.

Change all hero points to be treasure chests that reset weekly, and give you all specs available as you level.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Ok, so someone from frog guild threw me a raid invite.

We had 0 problems wings 1-3. Wiped repeatedly (like 6 or 7 times) on wing 4. But ended up doing it. (like i think some HoT HP's are harder than wing 2 and 3)

They arent really that hard :/ (when youre being carried, lol). So i guess now i need to find at least a wing 1-3 (maybe 4) so i can get onto the leggy armour from there.

So need a group doing it about 8ish est (australian time) ><

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

The most important thing about hitting level 80 asap is that your armour isn't going to keep changing and so you can finally use your transmutation charges on it and pick out your outfit

E: most helmets look bloody stupid on Charr. Teeny tiny hats perched on the head, with nothing covering that long neck.

I'd really like to see that get patched with new assets. But that's not really very likely given that ordinary human stuff looks fine on the other races.

Hyperlynx fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Feb 28, 2023