Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Yeah I've had an S8+, S10+, and now the S23+ and this reboot thing is the first time I have had an issue

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

i mean i would like a pixel but they're not officially brought into my country

.... i am still considering getting the pixel 7 if only because i haven't been that fond of my s21, mostly because of its less than stellar battery life

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
It restarted by itself again twice last night, one sometime between 10 pm and 2 am (because I fell asleep on my couch) and once between 2:30 and 8 am. So my best guess right now is that it does it when it's been idle for a while because when it happened in front of me yesterday I was busy with work and hadn't touched my phone in a while. Might try leaving my phone on playing a livestream overnight to see if it still reboots for no reason.

Another truly small difference between the S23+ and my old S10+ is that on my old phone, whenever I set or turned on an alarm, a little pop up would come up with like "alarm set to go off in X hours and Y minutes" which I liked as an extra level of assurance even though an alarm never failed to go off but the S23 doesn't do that.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

Centzon Totochtin posted:

It restarted by itself again twice last night, one sometime between 10 pm and 2 am (because I fell asleep on my couch) and once between 2:30 and 8 am. So my best guess right now is that it does it when it's been idle for a while because when it happened in front of me yesterday I was busy with work and hadn't touched my phone in a while. Might try leaving my phone on playing a livestream overnight to see if it still reboots for no reason.

Have you checked to make sure auto optimization is turned off?

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009

fyallm posted:

Have you checked to make sure auto optimization is turned off?

As explained earlier, yes

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I had that happen a few months ago on my Pixel 4a. Seemed to go away after the next monthly update came through, I figured it was failing to update something. :shrug:

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
I've checked several times and there aren't any updates available yet, are day 1/launch updates for phones a thing

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

As explained earlier, yes

Weird, my s23 ultra hasnt restarted yet or glitched at all. Im on verizon and did the Samsung wireless connect to move about 100gigs over.

Wonder if something from previous phone is causing a glitch

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
I used smart switch but there are some people on reddit who did a fresh install and it's still happening, even after a factory reset. I'm on AT&T but got an unlocked phone from Amazon and there's a variety of carriers and locked/unlocked over on reddit so it's kind of all over the place. It's seems common enough that people are gathering online to talk about it but uncommon enough that it's not some huge scandal so it's probably tied to the software or new chip if I had to guess

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
I wonder if resetting and smart switching again or just restoring from backup could help. I've been using my s23u about 24 hours and no random reboots and my wife's about 12 hours with none either. Guess it could be hardware related, but hopefully something software you can fix on your own.

Question about the wireless android auto adapters. Is Motorola the one to get or is one of those random Chinese ones on Amazon good?

Getting sick of fiddling with cables and disconnecting and then replacing cables yearly cause even the best steel braided cable can't stand up to constant unplugging and bending and stuff in my experience.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Is there a way to force a pixel 6 with a broken screen (touch works, no visual) to do a backup to drive? I have a backup, from 6am this morning, but I want any of the texts i've recieved during the day today before i pick up a pixel 7 tomorrow?

Edit: i'm seeing that texts don't seem to be in the drive/cloud as the pixel 5 i fired up as a backup has no texts since i stopped using it?

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Battery manager said something called currents kept crashing and I don't know what that is or use it so I uninstalled it and my phone has stopped rebooting on its own

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Currents was what G+ for G Suites was before it was discontinued. Spaces in Google Chat replaces it.

This is one of the reasons why I setup every phone fresh and don't use any smart switching stuff. So much cruft accumulates over the years.

That said, a user land app shouldn't be causing the phone OS to reboot, so Samsung must have something broken in their stack (SUPRISE!)

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Deviant posted:

Edit: i'm seeing that texts don't seem to be in the drive/cloud as the pixel 5 i fired up as a backup has no texts since i stopped using it?

The text backup only restores during device setup, is not an ongoing cloud sync situation.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

bull3964 posted:

The text backup only restores during device setup, is not an ongoing cloud sync situation.

I guess my most recent backup is only missing 24h, so I'll live. I'm not that popular.

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.

Battery manager said something called currents kept crashing and I don't know what that is or use it so I uninstalled it and my phone has stopped rebooting on its own

Oh interesting. Currents popped up after my migration and said it was having issues do I wanna clear cache and said yea. And I haven't had any issues

Was the battery getting hot or anything? Cause it could lead to the phone rebooting if an app is making some part of it overheat which really isn't a surprise flaw in Samsungs stuff and just a way to stop the phone from killing itself when an app is having issues or too demanding

Resdfru fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Feb 20, 2023

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Didn't mention this but it came out a week or two ago, Anker has released a cheap(ish) 45w charger that actually supports Samsung's Superfast Charge 2.0. This is actually pretty significant as before only their more expensive >100w PPS chargers supported it. That's due to amperage for the 45w charging pushing beyond 3A. Nearly every other 45w charger, even if it's PPS, tops out at 3A@15v to get there (and therefore will only charge the 45w capable Samsung devices at about 27w). This is, to my knowledge, one of the few <100w 3rd party chargers that goes beyond 3A.

It's the Anker Ace 45 and it looks to be about $30. Should work great with charging Pixels at maximum charge (as well as other Samsung devices at 25w and Apple devices at whatever their max wattage is.) Small with folding plugs, would be a good travel charger.

It is important to note though that you do need to pair it with a 100w certified (emarked) USB-C cable to get the 45w due to the whole >3A thing.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009

bull3964 posted:

Didn't mention this but it came out a week or two ago, Anker has released a cheap(ish) 45w charger that actually supports Samsung's Superfast Charge 2.0. This is actually pretty significant as before only their more expensive >100w PPS chargers supported it. That's due to amperage for the 45w charging pushing beyond 3A. Nearly every other 45w charger, even if it's PPS, tops out at 3A@15v to get there (and therefore will only charge the 45w capable Samsung devices at about 27w). This is, to my knowledge, one of the few <100w 3rd party chargers that goes beyond 3A.

It's the Anker Ace 45 and it looks to be about $30. Should work great with charging Pixels at maximum charge (as well as other Samsung devices at 25w and Apple devices at whatever their max wattage is.) Small with folding plugs, would be a good travel charger.

It is important to note though that you do need to pair it with a 100w certified (emarked) USB-C cable to get the 45w due to the whole >3A thing.

I have this charger, and I use it with this cable https://a.co/d/jb2hZcm

It claims to be 5A 100W so it should work with my S23+ but it only charges my phone at 45W (reads at 40w on the meter but close enough) when it's at under 15 percent battery, otherwise it charges at the normal fast charging rate of 15W. Not sure if this is how its supposed to work or not (or if it's a cable issue, I have fast charing enabled in the battery settings) but the phone has great battery life so it's mostly a non-issue and when fast charging 2.0 does kick in, it can get to full in about an hour

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

That's how it's supposed to work. Phones don't charge at a constant rate and the higher end of the quoted charging spec is only when the battery is in a deep state of depletion. That's why most manufacturers only focus on 0-50% charge or percent of charge after 30 minutes. They also vary the charge rate based on the temp of the battery and whether or not you are using the device (many phones cut the charge rate dramatically if you wake the phone for thermal management.)

People bemoaned Pixel charging speeds because they looked at the 0-100% value taking 90 minutes. However, the last 32 minutes or so are going from 90%-100% because it backs off to 5w for that last bit.

Really, if you rarely charge your phone when it's below 50%, you don't need much more than a standard 18w charger because you aren't going to get much of a difference. The only exceptions are the chinese manufacturers that use split batteries and proprietary protocols as that allows them to keep the charge rate higher for longer.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Probably going to pick up a Pixel 7 in a month or two if budget allows. My Galaxy S9 is extremely long in the tooth and the battery is heavily degraded. And after using it for years, I really don't like the Samsung environment. I want to go back to stock Android!

I was considering the 6a, but I would really like the wireless charging and extra RAM. Treat yo' self 2023.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Given what we've seen from SD8 Gen 2 so far, I really really hope Samsung's 3nm process is on par with TSMC's 3nm process as rumored (at last as far as efficiency, I know yields were supposed to be not great yet) and that Tensor G3 is actually using that process. If google manages that and and LTPO 3.0 panel on the Pixel 8, I think it's going to be a magical device.

The SD8 Gen 2 devices are just battery beasts, improving upon the SD8+ Gen 1 and both of those chips make the Samsung produced SD8 Gen 1 look like absolute garbage.

I still don't necessarily expect that raw benchmarks will catch up, especially on the GPU front, but I don't know if that's a huge loss at this point. When looking at actual tasks that devices do, Tensor G2 actually hangs pretty drat well with the SD8 Gen 2 crowd for intensive processing (stuff like photo editing, video export, audio mixing), it's just let down on performance per watt and the raw GPU performance in games. I think it's fine for the market to split between hardcore gaming phones and more general devices since the mobile gaming scene is kinda sad anyways.

It does seem like 2023 is the most significant push forward on the Android side since 2018 or 2019, hopefully Google brings home the year with the next Pixel.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

I feel like I'm turning into bull3964. Ordered a OnePlus 11 because they have a free ram/storage upgrade and were offering an extra $150 for my old OnePlus 7 Pro which has been strictly a backup/around house device. Going to daily it in lieu of my Pixel 7P for a while and see how it compares. I never really had any glaring issues with OnePlus' software in the past (I actually feel like I've had more minor nuisances with the Pixel)* so it will be interesting how the pros and cons compare. Maybe a lucky goon will get a good discount on one in the store in the near future.

*By minor nuisances, my main gripe is often I'll pick up my P7P and despite the AOD being on, the fingerprint reader will be off and the screen won't wake, resulting in me mashing the fingerprint icon a bunch and it doing nothing until I hit the power button or I just keep tapping all over the display. I also am not very impressed with the audio quality of music playback with my headphones. I really liked the Dolby software tuning baked into my OnePlus and Samsung phones and have noticed its absence on the Pixel.

Not sure if I could comfortably replace a Pixel 7 with a OnePlus device day-to-day, but if the connectivity and battery life impresses... I might be a pariah.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

I'm on an S22 ultra, originally from Verizon but using a Ting SIM. A couple weeks ago I ran a few firmware updates since it was behind and now at least once a day it starts glitching and lagging so bad I have to reboot, often a hard reboot by holding the buttons since even the power/reboot options won't show up once it starts.

Sometimes when it freezes I can get it to respond by pulling the top menu down, usually not. Even a factory reset hasn't helped. I hope it's not a hardware issue because this poo poo is expensive lol

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Mental Hospitality posted:

around house device.

This is one of the wildest things I've ever read on here. Phones are personal, explicitly portable devices. I mean they're also all flimsy garbage so it doesn't hurt to have a backup kicking around, but to be actively using it as a secondary in addition to your main seems crazy.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

codo27 posted:

This is one of the wildest things I've ever read on here. Phones are personal, explicitly portable devices. I mean they're also all flimsy garbage so it doesn't hurt to have a backup kicking around, but to be actively using it as a secondary in addition to your main seems crazy.

Ohhhh buddy. Here we go.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Holy loving poo poo why does every single option while editing photos in photos give haptic feedback now

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

codo27 posted:

Updated Mr. Roger’s Neighborhood where he copies his data to a new phone when he enters the house and then again to his other phone when he leaves at the end of the show.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Obviously I'm an outlier in general, but that question is as broad as asking "Why do you have more than one 'x' when you can't use more than one 'x' at once."

I mean yeah, there's the whole wasteful consumption aspect of it and each has to square that for themselves.

Other than that, is just whatever floats your boat. I use a Fold 4 almost exclusively on the couch without a SIM as it's the only good small Android tablet. Sometimes I put my SIM in it for someone different. I put my SIM in the Flip 4 when I want to disconnect for a bit and still have a smartphone with me since opening it adds just an extra bit of friction that helps me from just wasting time on it. Plus, minimal presence in my pocket.

Other than that, it's mostly device curiosity and just using something different for awhile to mix it up. It's a hobby like any other. I like checking out the different camera capabilities of some of the better devices on the market. A lot of it is just gaming trade ins.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

codo27 posted:

I guess it is kind of weird. My old Oneplus 7p lives on wifi just for watching videos and playing games and it's still a really nice experience since the display has no holepunch or notch for a camera. It actually hasn't been used with cell service for probably 2 years. Plus if I knock it off the bathroom counter or something and it breaks, it's really no big deal in the end.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

codo27 posted:

One of my relatives has taken to playing music or video most of the time at home and doesn't pay much attention to the battery. Having the second phone for the house helps ensure that they don't quickly run out of power when they go out.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I use my other phones for different purposes. Like having a phone that can serve as the one I put the limited of IoT stuff I have allowed in my house, or to keep certain apps on that I don't want to have to install on my primary phone.

It does have service, just very cheap since I rarely use it.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

bull3964 posted:

Given what we've seen from SD8 Gen 2 so far, I really really hope Samsung's 3nm process is on par with TSMC's 3nm process as rumored (at last as far as efficiency, I know yields were supposed to be not great yet) and that Tensor G3 is actually using that process. If google manages that and and LTPO 3.0 panel on the Pixel 8, I think it's going to be a magical device.

The SD8 Gen 2 devices are just battery beasts, improving upon the SD8+ Gen 1 and both of those chips make the Samsung produced SD8 Gen 1 look like absolute garbage.

I still don't necessarily expect that raw benchmarks will catch up, especially on the GPU front, but I don't know if that's a huge loss at this point. When looking at actual tasks that devices do, Tensor G2 actually hangs pretty drat well with the SD8 Gen 2 crowd for intensive processing (stuff like photo editing, video export, audio mixing), it's just let down on performance per watt and the raw GPU performance in games. I think it's fine for the market to split between hardcore gaming phones and more general devices since the mobile gaming scene is kinda sad anyways.

It does seem like 2023 is the most significant push forward on the Android side since 2018 or 2019, hopefully Google brings home the year with the next Pixel.

I really do hope the Pixel 8 has significantly better battery life than the 6 and 7. The Pixel 5 was a battery beauty, the 6 and 7 for me have been really disappointing. What are the Pro models like compared to the regular?

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I have some hopes for the 7a, given I really liked the form factor of the 6a I got for my dad. My 6 and the Motorola One 5G Ace that preceded it are right on the line of what I would consider "too big," and the 6a really felt good in my hand. If my 6 didn't have a better camera I would have been tempted to replace it with the 6a.

I know those hopes are slim given that the phablet design seems to have won out, but if the 7a has a camera with similar capabilities to my 6 while being around the size of the 6a then I might go to it. Otherwise I might wait for the 8a.

The telescopic lenses are the only thing that continue to make consider the Pro line, but they are so loving big and I would rather not have to try to adjust to a curved screen.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The pro is broadly supposed to have better battery life than the non-pro, but it's really hard to quantify battery performance in general.

I don't have battery issues with the 7 Pro, but on particularly long and heavy days I have seen the battery dip to the point where I could start having battery anxiety if I was worried about being able to charge it.

The OnePlus 10t I had with the SD8+ Gen 1. You could just hammer that thing pretty much all day and probably be north of 40% by the end of the day and it's looking like the SD8 Gen 2 stuff is even better. To be clear though, you are basically going from an "all day phone" with the Pixel 7 Pro to a "all day and half the next" phone with the S23 Ultra or OnePlus 11. It is notably better, but the actual utility of that extra life depends on an individual's use case.

I was down in Universal Studios last week and I was initially worried that going from early morning to evening while snapping pictures, using the park's mobile app, killing time in line, and going in and out of marginal coverage areas due to the structures would have me wish i put a battery pack in my pocket by the end of the day, but it was a non-issue and I was usually only around 45-50% by the time I was back in my hotel room in the evening. That is a stark contrast to where I was with the Pixel 6 Pro the prior year when I went to Disney. Those were slightly longer
days, but even then I was getting to the point where I was dropping it on a battery pack by dinner. I attribute the better modem for that.

The display is where Google really needs to improve. The one in the 7 series draws a lot of power and also doesn't scale framerate nearly enough. That's not to say that there won't be big battery improvements from chip on a better manufacturing process, because there absolutely will be. I'm just saying that the screen is probably the least modern and most inefficient part of these devices right now.

Both the S23 Ultra and the OnePlus 11 challenge the iPhone 14 Pro Max on battery life which has been unheard of in the android space so far. That's also probably the single biggest reason to upgrade over the S22 Ultra because battery life on that thing was about on par with the Pixel 6 Pro. The SD8 Gen 1 was a real turd people. By all accounts Samsung's 4nm process was worse than Samsung's 5nm process that the Tensor G1 and G2 are on and the Pixels are pretty optimized to get the most out of the SoC arrangement.

Rumors are right now that Apple bought out nearly ALL of TSMC's 3nm capacity for the next year with Qualcomm getting scraps. It will be interesting to see how that impacts late 2023 and 2024 SoCs.

M. Propagandalf
Aug 9, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Sorry if this doesn't belong here, but outside of the Android Apps thread, I wasn't sure where else to ask this.

I'm on an extended trip out of country, and while my SIM card remains active, I lent it to a family member back home since it has no capabilities where I'm currently working. A few days ago, I left my ZTE Axon 7 in my rain jacket pocket during a downpour, and it is now bricked. For work purposes, I needed a phone quickly and picked up a OnePlus Nord CE 2 Lite, but when I get back home I plan to bring the Axon back to a repair shop to resuscitate the phone, if not salvage the data, if possible.

I want to install Signal and WhatsApp on my new phone, but neither app had their profiles backed up to any type of cloud and I’m concerned that the chat history starts from scratch if I proceed with installation. However, I used both programs in their desktop form and they are accessible to me at this moment, inclusive of my chat history.

Signal allows restoration from backup (not an option from what I can tell) and transfer from my old Android device, as long as I can access it. I still have the bricked phone on hand, and would be willing to just use the desktop version of Signal until I get back home for phone repairs if it offers the possibility of keeping my chat history continuous once I re-sync it.

For WhatsApp, my entire chat history is currently accessible on the web browser version, and I’m continuing conversations on these channels. Given that I can access and respond to them right now on my laptop, is there something that would allow me to backup this history and port it over to my new phone?

I realize both apps should require an SMS verification based off my home phone SIM, which should still be possible as I can coordinate with my family member to relay the code when it gets sent.

TL;DR: Is it possible to export my chat history from Signal/WhatsApp from a bricked phone if the history is retained on the desktop/web browser version of those apps?

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
I'm 99% sure you can't export signal from the desktop version. It should continue to work even if the phone is off but if you go clicking near the link to a phone option and it removes your old phone you're gonna be stuck without it.

Not sure about whatsapp

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!
Is burn in a concern on current flagships? I'm using a Pixel 6 Pro specifically.

I use my phone as my bedside clock, but the ambient display (even in dim night mode) is brighter than I prefer. I have begun using a simple clock app so that I can make it red and extra dim. The app has a premium feature to move the text to prevent burn in. Is this a valid concern with current screen technology for my use case?

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
I've been reasonably satisfied with the P7 battery life :shrug:

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Ive been using a S21 ultra for the past few years, it had a big bulky wallet style case so I could put the spen in it. drat does it feel good to use the s23 with a slim spigen case.

Really impressed with the phone. No weird software issues yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Ive been using a S21 ultra for the past few years, it had a big bulky wallet style case so I could put the spen in it. drat does it feel good to use the s23 with a slim spigen case.

Really impressed with the phone. No weird software issues yet

Same except I left my spen at home. But love having it with me all the time now. 21u to 23u seemed like a pointless upgrade but the subtle differences like battery life and performance is nice.

My 21u had a bunch of micro scratches so I got a tpu film protector from samsung thinking it would be better than some no name off Amazon but it seems it has the same issues tpu had a decade ago last time I used it. Annoying bubbles, probably gonna remove it. Wish they had tempered glass ones like I use on all my other devices.

Has anyone used one of those really thin pop socket alikes? Snap or oh snap or whatever it's called? I like having a pop socket for holding the phone one handed but I can't stand being unable to lay it flat.

Alternatively has anyone used a good magsafe case for the s23u (or other android phone)?