Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Discendo Vox posted:

As you should, given that we know his motives. Rall is most likely to promote whatever arguments would align with a Trump win given Trump's comments on Ukraine. Here's Rall's latest on Ukraine.

quote:

Putin faced an impossible situation. He knew that an invasion would bring Western sanctions and international opprobrium. Staying out of Ukraine, however, would weaken Russia’s geopolitical position and his political standing.

...how?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Oh, you know, because.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Did Rall seriously use American imperialism to justify the invasion? You can call out the hypocrisy, but that doesn’t mean just continuing on to do the war.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Someone must have pointed out the obvious that Rall's reasoning also would mean the US is justified in forcing Central America to bend to its will and he's somehow trying to argue that yes this is why the US is bad and this also justifies the invasion.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

[https://www.newspapers.com/image/136567784/]

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Trapezium Dave posted:

Someone must have pointed out the obvious that Rall's reasoning also would mean the US is justified in forcing Central America to bend to its will and he's somehow trying to argue that yes this is why the US is bad and this also justifies the invasion.

I also enjoyed "Ukraine shouldn't provoke Russia because they are smaller and weaker than Russia, also Russia is scared of them and had to invade to keep Russia safe."

Also the often pointed out insanely stupid logic of "Russia couldn't risk having Ukraine join NATO because then they would be bordering a NATO state! So even though (as Rall even admits!) Ukraine probably would have been denied entry into NATO, Russia has to conquer Ukraine just to be safe (and which will cause them to border four times as many NATO states)."

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Twelve by Pies posted:

I also enjoyed "Ukraine shouldn't provoke Russia because they are smaller and weaker than Russia, also Russia is scared of them and had to invade to keep Russia safe."

Also the often pointed out insanely stupid logic of "Russia couldn't risk having Ukraine join NATO because then they would be bordering a NATO state! So even though (as Rall even admits!) Ukraine probably would have been denied entry into NATO, Russia has to conquer Ukraine just to be safe (and which will cause them to border four times as many NATO states)."

I love that the smoking gun that Ukraine was out to get Russia is Zelensky has repeatedly said he wanted to join NATO since coming to office in 2019. Weird that he would want foreign militaries guaranteeing his country sovereignty after Russia invaded and seized large chunks of the nation in 2014, and was at that point still actively attempt to seize more territory through separatist proxies in the east.

Putin keeps comparing himself Peter the Great and talking about restoring the glory of imperialist Russia. Hell, even most republicans have the shame to say they don't support Putin they just don't want to spend the money. Rall is straight up endorsing imperialism and warcrimes.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Nomination: Worst three things happened

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
:britain:

Guardian:

"Martin Rowson on Putin’s year-long offensive in Ukraine – It is a year since Russia launched its land-grab but Kyiv remains free"

Telegraph:

Eat turnips instead of tomatoes during shortages, Therese Coffey suggests

Matt:

Independent:

After Carlo Dolci.

The i paper:

Times:

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

This got a legit chuckle out of me. It's an actual, functioning joke.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

I dont know posted:

Putin keeps comparing himself Peter the Great and talking about restoring the glory of imperialist Russia. Hell, even most republicans have the shame to say they don't support Putin they just don't want to spend the money. Rall is straight up endorsing imperialism and warcrimes.

It has been shown repeatedly through his cartoons and blog posts that Rall loving loves imperialism, it's just only bad when the United States does it.

Korthal
May 26, 2011

Didn't he spend 2 weeks last year in Russia on a "fact finding" mission? That Russia is not suffering at all from the sanctions? He visited St Petersburg and Moscow, he did all the research!

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Korthal posted:

Didn't he spend 2 weeks last year in Russia on a "fact finding" mission? That Russia is not suffering at all from the sanctions? He visited St Petersburg and Moscow, he did all the research!

Not sure if it was "fact finding" or "vacation," but yeah.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Twelve by Pies posted:

Norway: "Am I a joke to you?"

(Founding NATO member, bordering Russia the whole time.)

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

Stultus Maximus posted:

I am really, really looking forward to the Dilbert edits
https://twitter.com/justinbaragona/status/1628842441913540610
Just spotted this article on CNN:
Hundreds of newspapers drop ‘Dilbert’ comic strip after racist tirade from creator Scott Adams

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
Clay Bennett

Jeff Danziger

Lisa Benson

Ann Telnaes

Lee Judge

Mike Smith

Jimmy Margulies

Ed Gamble

David M. Hitch

Darrin Bell

Dave Whamond

Adam Zyglis

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Maybe children should read his comments about Jews controlling every publisher and that's why none of his rabidly antisemitic texts got published, because of the secret media Jews.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

The Republicans are the key to unlocking American history.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Kellies nomination: Most Easily Reinterpreted

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy
Maybe kids should be able to enjoy books instead of having to study the author's bigotry.

You know, at least the books for kids in single digit ages. Is that so much to ask.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel

I don't think this quite rises to the kellies nomination level of the worst 'a thing happened' cartoons, but what an absolutely bland take :effort:. Yeah, no poo poo, politics are involved, what are you even saying here? Whose politics? Are you saying the politics of the disaster are overblown relative to its physical impact? What?

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Adenoid Dan posted:

Maybe kids should be able to enjoy books instead of having to study the author's bigotry.

You know, at least the books for kids in single digit ages. Is that so much to ask.
Regardless of the author's personal beliefs or even intent, isn't it good to move away from teaching children that fat and ugly people are always evil? Children's media is full to the gills of villains being ugly, disfigured, fat, or bearing some other trait that sets them apart as visually evil. Sucks pretty bad for people who have to deal with those things in real life!

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
BBC has the Scott Adams story

quote:

Many US newspapers including the Washington Post have dropped the long-running Dilbert cartoon strip after its creator made racist comments.

In a video on YouTube, Scott Adams, who is white, said black Americans were part of a "hate group" and that white people should "get the hell away" from them.

Mr Adams, 65, later acknowledged that his career was destroyed.

He said most of his income would be gone by next week.

:laugh:

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
His career was "destroyed". By who? We'll never know.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Sinfest Sunday

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
Good to see him getting in on the right-wing nutjob talking point about making cities more pleasant to live in is actually an NWO plot.
So I actually had to look into that one because it seems bizarrely out there. What actually happened is Spain passing a new animal welfare law that clarified some language surrounding sexual abuse of animals. A bunch of European right-wign/fascist groups picked this up as "Those Spanish left-wing degenerates decriminalised bestiality!". Good to see another example of where Tats is getting his news. Was there some actual new development surrounding this story? Or did Tats just feel like kicking gender-non-conforming people some more?

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Bill Gates' two greatest crimes: mass murder through evil spooky vaccines, and Microsoft Windows

Skios posted:

Good to see him getting in on the right-wing nutjob talking point about making cities more pleasant to live in is actually an NWO plot.

I hope he explicitly calls out 15 minute cities, that's my favourite ridiculous bit right now

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Skios posted:

Was there some actual new development surrounding this story? Or did Tats just feel like kicking gender-non-conforming people some more?
Further, why would you pick this scene and these characters?

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
A.F. Branco

Al Goodwyn

John Deering

Marshall Ramsey

Michael Ramirez

Mike Luckovich

Steve Breen

Steve Kelley

Tom Stiglich

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Angepain posted:

Bill Gates' two greatest crimes: mass murder through evil spooky vaccines, and Microsoft Windows

One out of two ain't bad

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Vib Rib posted:

His career was "destroyed". By who? We'll never know.
https://twitter.com/dril/status/873264183281889281?s=20

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Vib Rib posted:

Further, why would you pick this scene and these characters?

Good Will Hunting, Oops I did it Again, and Peewee's Big Adventure

Even more so then usual, Tat's comics this week are just a nonsensical grab bag of pop culture references with no rhyme or reason. That is, no rhyme or reason beyond being 2-3 decades out of date. In this way he does resemble the newspaper published comics he so desperately wants to be.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It's the David Icke shtick of ramming together a bunch of popular media from when 'things were normal', i.e. back before he himself was being asked to care about whatever he is currently being asked to care about which he doesn't understand (which is most things) and then shoving all that through a Belle Époque era grand conspiracy shaped hole.

Scrape away all the references and it's just "current thing bad, I am smart" repeated over and over again, Rhetoric of Reaction style.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

I think this could have been a good bit. A week of Mayor Pete as Pee-Wee/Alfred E Newman being all “everything’s fine!” I mean I wouldn’t have agreed with anything but it’s not a bad idea. Not hateful enough for him I guess.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
My plants?

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!
It's funny but all things aside, the smug nerd hipster energy might be the worst thing about Ishida.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!

Vib Rib posted:

Regardless of the author's personal beliefs or even intent, isn't it good to move away from teaching children that fat and ugly people are always evil? Children's media is full to the gills of villains being ugly, disfigured, fat, or bearing some other trait that sets them apart as visually evil. Sucks pretty bad for people who have to deal with those things in real life!

You're not wrong, but why would we do this by misrepresenting the man's words? There are plenty of other books out there written by less terrible people that we could be putting into school curricula and buying for our kids. Hell, why not get some from authors who are Jewish, women, Black, or even fat or ugly or disfigured? There's probably a fat kid out there who would really love to read a book about how alienating it can be to be fat in school just to see that someone understands. We're never going to run out of books for kids, or authors to write them; if this guy was terrible (and he absolutely was), let's just dump him in the garbage can and move on rather than trying to hang onto some piece of him. I loved his books when I was a kid, but I'd probably have loved other books if I'd read them then, too.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Jarla

"𝒜 𝓅𝑒𝒶𝒸𝑒 𝓅𝓁𝒶𝓃 𝒻𝑜𝓇 𝒰𝓀𝓇𝒶𝒾𝓃𝑒"

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
I'm just counting the days until we find out this was One Weird Trick to get around copyright extension statutes, contract agreements, or other IP ownership shenanigans.

Don't ask me what, of course, I barely understand the US side of things, let alone the UK.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
:britain:

Observer:

"Time is running out for Vladimir Putin – A year after the invasion of Ukraine, the writing is on the wall for Russia’s president"

Sunday Telegraph:

China ‘lacks credibility’ to secure Ukraine ceasefire amid Russia drone fears

Matt:

Sunday Times: