Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

Dangerous Person posted:

What is the most straight up offensive James Bond? Live and Let Die is pretty bad but I hand it to You Only Live Twice for trying to turn Sean Connery into an Asian man

Yeah I think its You Only Live Twice by far lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

the Timothy Dalton movies are so laser locked-in on the zeitgeist of the 80s that they're fuckin' wild to watch now. the living daylights starts as a normal cold war defection espionage story and then hard pivots in the 3rd act into being about how cool the Mujahideen are and license to kill is entirely about the war on drugs

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Dangerous Person posted:

What is the most straight up offensive James Bond? Live and Let Die is pretty bad but I hand it to You Only Live Twice for trying to turn Sean Connery into an Asian man

YOLT by miles.

Alaois posted:

the Timothy Dalton movies are so laser locked-in on the zeitgeist of the 80s that they're fuckin' wild to watch now. the living daylights starts as a normal cold war defection espionage story and then hard pivots in the 3rd act into being about how cool the Mujahideen are and license to kill is entirely about the war on drugs

The dalton films own so much.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Quantum of Phallus posted:

The dalton films own so much.

they genuinely do, when cary-hiroyuki tagawa shows up in license to kill as a member of the Hong Kong DEA Ninja Task Force is just chefs kiss

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

dalton is so great. his little role in hot fuzz was hilarious

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
I loved the Daltons, especially License to Kill. They feel like proto Craig movies. Still a degree of goofy but with more edge to it. License gets bonus points for featuring young Benicio del Toro

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Dangerous Person posted:

I loved the Daltons, especially License to Kill. They feel like proto Craig movies. Still a degree of goofy but with more edge to it. License gets bonus points for featuring young Benicio del Toro

double bonus points for having young Benicio del Toro getting kicked into a concrete grinder

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
True, that death was brutal as gently caress

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

the guard getting thrown into the maggot drawer hosed small child WEP up back in the day haha

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

i got this today:

it's loving enormous.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

i like the guy whos head explodes from the pressure thing. forgot which one that's in. license to kill probably

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

yeah it's that one. in a decompression chamber. sick

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

yea ok posted:

i like the guy whos head explodes from the pressure thing. forgot which one that's in. license to kill probably

yeah that's license to kill

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Dangerous Person posted:

They're more a proto Goldeneye imo. Dalton even has DK Mode enabled at one point

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

JUNGLE BOY posted:

Awesome, I had no idea this existed and I'm going to check it out

the BFI also have a really good book about From Russia With Love, it's fairly short but it has lots of good research done on the production.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

never seen those films.

Cavauro fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Feb 25, 2023

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
Dalton was my first Bond, love his movies. The Living Daylights is probably better but License to Kill will always be in my Top 5. But that plane fight! In Living Daylights! Burned onto my brain.

Die Another Day also seems pretty offensive with the North Koreans turning into white dudes, but yeah I think YOLT takes the cake.

I love that there are so many Bonds that you can rank so many categories. Best gadget, theme song, Felix Lieter, etc.

i got this today:

it's loving enormous.

Sick.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

Cavauro posted:

never seen those films.

i liked it what i saw but had nothing to add.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

yea ok posted:

i liked it what i saw but had nothing to add.

Sounds good

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

fair enough

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

i watched the poo poo out of golden eye. i also remember one where bond was dressed as a clown.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

That DICK! posted:

i watched the poo poo out of golden eye. i also remember one where bond was dressed as a clown.

that one is Octopussy, wherein Q picks up bitches in a hot air balloon

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

That DICK! posted:

i also remember one where bond was dressed as a clown.

hope you got royalties

Penguin Patrol
Mar 3, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

hope you got royalties

:drat:

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

hope you got royalties

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

When I was a kid my favorite Dalton was License to Kill, but I've come around to The Living Daylights being the better of the two, it's just wonderful. I'm sad he didn't get to make more, but also Brosnan in Goldeneye loving ruled, and Tomorrow Never Dies was pretty good too. The World Is Not Enough wasn't very good, but has one of the most amazingly awful final lines of any Bond film in history, and it also looks like a masterpiece in comparison to Die Another Day.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

i was too young to watch the daltons in the cinema but watched the poo poo out of them on vhs. goldeneye was great. the other brosnans kinda mush together for me, saw them all in the cinema and then never bothered rewatching. one of them had definitely not rupert murdoch as a villain and i legit can’t remember what the other two were about.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

brosnan was the only bond as a kid but the daltons are definitely my favorite. honestly they mostly all fuckin stink but there's still a lot of fun to be had

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

i model my posts after bond films, in that regard

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Connery, Dalton, Craig the bests.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

jesus WEP posted:

one of them had definitely not rupert murdoch as a villain and i legit can’t remember what the other two were about.

Goldeneye was Bond vs. a former 00 turned terrorist mastermind. It loving ruled.
Tomorrow Never Dies was Bond vs. Rupert Murdoch. It was very good.
The World Is Not Enough was Bond vs. a Russian terrorist who lost the ability to feel pain, and Bond's girlfriend, who was actually the villain's girlfriend and boss! Denise Richards played a nuclear physicist called Christmas. It was okay.
Die Another Day was some batshit insane feverdream about a secret Korean cosplaying as Roger Moore and weaponizing the sun that the studio was CONVINCED was going to create a parallel franchise with Halle Berry's character.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

to be fair she was very very hot

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

you ever seen The Batman.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
Yeah I like The Batman

The Stroker Ace
Feb 7, 2007

I seent all the Batmans.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xle8xr16p4c

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
never was a Bond villain named Bames Jond. Missed opportunity imho

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

I know i’m not a smart person on any level but having completed death stranding twice now I have no idea what happens in the game, like not a clue. Any good youtubes explaining it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

can you throw the baby capsule off a cliff like the penguins in mario 64?