Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gresh
Jan 12, 2019

people watched it they they just forgot about it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
I watched the first episode. I didn't even think it was bad, just kind of boring.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
A real-world retelling of Lord of The Rings, set in 1995 Minnesota.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Iron Crowned posted:

Directed by the Coen Bros. Balrog played by Brad Pitt just like Burn After Reading.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Iron Crowned posted:

They already made that, it was called Jingle All the Way

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Asterite34 posted:

They already made that, it was called Jingle All the Way

I don't remember Frodo flying around on a jet pack

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

The eagles were busy, so they had to go with something else.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
pretty sure Ohio is the Shire

or Mordor idk

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

loving lol that of all things to remake you pick Lord of the Rings, movies that caught lightning in a bottle and turned out incredible against all odds.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Alan Smithee posted:

pretty sure Ohio is the Shire

or Mordor idk

Ohio is Mordor

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

Cooked Auto posted:

The eagles were busy, so they had to go with something else.

Good, last thing I want to hear about is why Don Henley couldn't have carried Frodo on his back

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Iron Crowned posted:

So, that was Boromir on the floor in there. And I guess that was your accomplice in the wood chipper. And those three people in Rivendell. And for what? For a little bit of jewelry? There's more to life than a little jewelry, you know. Don'tcha know that? And here ya are, and it's a beautiful day. Well. I just don't understand it.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Depending on what they have the rights to, I could see them taking Tolkien's unfinished sequel, The New Shadow, and making some sequels based on that. Especially if they play a bit fast & loose with the chronology and have guys like Gimli and Legolas stick around long enough to make cameo appearances for nostalgia bait.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

The boat came back

"Turns out in the Undying Lands, there's no one to kill!" Gimli and Legolas draw weapons and leap at the Neo-Orcs

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008
I re-watched the Lord of the Rings again recently and they really are a breath of fresh air in their earnestness compared to today's Marvel-filled world. Not a hint of irony about them. It's nice.

Also, Viggo Mortensen is the coolest guy in the world

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Robot Style posted:

Depending on what they have the rights to, I could see them taking Tolkien's unfinished sequel, The New Shadow, and making some sequels based on that. Especially if they play a bit fast & loose with the chronology and have guys like Gimli and Legolas stick around long enough to make cameo appearances for nostalgia bait.

IIRC Tolkien literally got like only one chapter into writing it before realizing that it was going to suck hard and stopped. Real respect.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Someone gonna put that first chapter into ChatGPT and make a movie out of the result.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Midjourney: "What if the New Shadow were directed by David Lynch?"

Sourdough Sam
May 2, 2010

:dukedog:

Zero_Grade posted:

loving lol that of all things to remake you pick Lord of the Rings, movies that caught lightning in a bottle and turned out incredible against all odds.

Megacorp with a single creative braincell divided across a board room of people see lightning in a bottle and assume they must make the same bottle over and over again.

If they were to make it animated, however, I would be all over that poo poo so hard. Also it has to have a 70s progressive rock score and it has to change art styles every 20 minutes.

Maybe I should just watch the Ralph Bakshi one again.

Sourdough Sam fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Feb 25, 2023

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

make it all hosed up looking like bakshi

Alan Smithee fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Feb 25, 2023

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1629307107018145795?s=20

drat must have been bad if it got to this point

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Zero_Grade posted:

And is pretty much the template for 21st century movie franchises. They've already been trying to recapture that lightning with varying degrees of success.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

I haven't gotten around to watching Better Caul Saul yet so I had no idea how Mando just straight up looks like Vaas.

Gresh
Jan 12, 2019

https://twitter.com/scottlynch78/status/1629076276383256576

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
Wasn't there an entity called The Tolkien Estate that kind of took care not to let poo poo like this happen. Did WB bury them under a mountain of cash?

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Grendels Dad posted:

Wasn't there an entity called The Tolkien Estate that kind of took care not to let poo poo like this happen. Did WB bury them under a mountain of cash?

Christopher Tolkien finally died

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Asterite34 posted:

gently caress that's depressing

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
There might be some hope, WB made the deal with Embracer but there was a lot of doubt when Embracer bought the LotR rights as to if they bought the rights to LotR movies or just the rights the movies already made.

Sourdough Sam
May 2, 2010

:dukedog:
lol. culture is literally real estate.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

When Amazon bought the limited rights to the Tolkien stuff they had to deal with some restrictions, but I don't know if the contract they signed with what is now WBD is more broad

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

AceOfFlames posted:

I haven't gotten around to watching Better Caul Saul yet so I had no idea how Mando just straight up looks like Vaas.

Honestly he's so under utilised in BCS despite being an incredibly charismatic presence that him being a pain to work with would explain a lot.

Plus he's never come back as Scorpion.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Asterite34 posted:

Chris Tolkien also hated the Jackson movies, so it's not like he wanted them to be the one true cinematic adaptation even when he was alive.

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

PriorMarcus posted:

Honestly he's so under utilised in BCS despite being an incredibly charismatic presence that him being a pain to work with would explain a lot.

Plus he's never come back as Scorpion.

I can fix him

But yeh, I'm surprised he hasn't been landing more, and more prominent, roles

Cool Kids Club Soda fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Feb 25, 2023

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

FlamingLiberal posted:

When Amazon bought the limited rights to the Tolkien stuff they had to deal with some restrictions, but I don't know if the contract they signed with what is now WBD is more broad

It's weird, the company that held the LotR rights for multimedia that licensed the original movies Zaents LLC only had the rights for The Hobbit and LotR for stage plays, movies and games. There was a specific exemption for TV shows lasting more than 8 episodes and the Tolkein Estate retained those rights and that's who Amazon negotiated with for The Rings of Power.

WB owns the rights to the movies but in the lead up to the sale Zaents was arguing that the rights reverted because WB wasn't actively pursuing anything with the property.

Embracer now owns the rights to make movies about The Hobbit and LotR but the rights for The Silmarilion and expanded works still lives with Harper Collins and The Tolkein Estate. They'll have the same restrictions that New Line had with making movies.

What they do have Matching Rights, which means if any company comes to Harper Collins and offers to license their rights Embracer has the opportunity to match any offer.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Cool Kids Club Soda posted:

I can fix him

But yeh, I'm surprised he hasn't been landing more, and more prominent, roles

I still always immediately think of him as the rear end in a top hat boyfriend from the first season of Orphan Black.

Actually given his name and the fact that he’s already been in a Marvel movie, Disney should put him in The Mandalorian.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

He can play mando

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

CelticPredator posted:

He can play mando

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

idk I feel like lotr is at least a little bit about how you can destroy Satan and then usher in a golden age

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Nah, the fundamental theme of the story is that no matter how the story ends, some things will be lost forever and the world will be poorer because of it and you have to deal with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Alhazred posted:

Nah, the fundamental theme of the story is that no matter how the story ends, some things will be lost forever and the world will be poorer because of it and you have to deal with it.

Yeah , the "Long Defeat" as Tolkien put it