Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

Upsidads posted:

And drat that ride is short
That's just launch coasters in general. On top of that, it's a budget ride using a fairly small launch motor with a very lightweight train so it loses momentum fairly fast. At 900-something meters, The Trons are actually about 50% longer than most other rides of the same model.

For contrast, nearby Hagrid's is an Intamin LSM with the same tracks, trains and launch systems as Cheetah Hunt or Maverick(Taron for Europeans) using a non-standard seating arrangement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Tron is almost 2000ft shorter than Hagrids and doesn’t have the smart pacing of different sections to make it feel like a longer experience like so many rides do these days. It’s a really cool ride that’s just above family coaster but it is short both in length and time and people will undoubtably be disappointed by that fact alone, and that’s fair I think. Then again, no ride is ever going to be worth waiting hours and hours for IMO.

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
Let's not besmirch Cheetah Hunt, the greatest roller coaster in florida

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
How is the capacity on tron? Would be great if it just ate through crowds

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Park hopper seems like such a waste of time to me. The only park we might leave early is AK, and getting from there to anywhere else, by the time we have walked out of the park, driven to the other park, gotten thru security, etc. will be 1 hour or more. I'd rather go back to the resort and swim

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

alg posted:

Park hopper seems like such a waste of time to me. The only park we might leave early is AK, and getting from there to anywhere else, by the time we have walked out of the park, driven to the other park, gotten thru security, etc. will be 1 hour or more. I'd rather go back to the resort and swim

Normal park hopper (without the 2 pm "covid" stuff that did nothing to help them mitigate the disease) is worth it for me because I used to end my trips by running around all four parks re-doing what my favorite things were. 2 pm park hopper is pointless junk.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Yeah the pre-covid version was what had us getting up to get breakfast in one park, hop to another for most of the day, then hop over to Epcot to finish out with dinner, with optional hop back to whatever park had Extra Magic Hours for us that day if we had the energy.

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
When I was younger and less fat I would do 4 parks in one day but now I stick to one and like the other poster said, just do a half day in AK

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Jose Oquendo posted:

It's always a YMMV thing.

I'll agree with this. Some people don't care for them at all. Depends on how you like to visit the parks

Here's why I'm pro park hopper and think they are worth it

Our "touring" style is to take a midday break. We hit the parks hard in the morning, I'm talking early rope drop and then leave the first park sometime between 12 and 2 PM. Head back to the room, nap, swim, lunch, chill, or whatever. We generally head back out around 5 or 6pm to Magic Kingdom and shut the park down for the night. We've done this since our first trip when my kids were 5 and 3 and it works for us.

We avoid the hottest parts of the day, and the busiest park hours with this plan. Lots of people start clearing out of the parks around dinner time, and that's when we're usually headed back refreshed from our siesta.

With the crowd levels being the way they are the last couple of years, you get the most done the first 2 hours of a park being open and the last 2 hours before close. Crowds are just nuts, but this lets you sorta work around it. We do not buy G+ with this method.

We always stay at Bay Lake Tower, so MK being a sub 10 minute walk makes it easy to just pop over there every night and walk back to the room. No dealing with the mass chaos that is transportation at park close. We also visit for 8 or 9 days at a time and usually when park hours are longer than usual.

I will say we did several nights at Hollywood Studios last trip, so not every night was an MK night. (Halloween/Christmas parties really screw with the MK every night plan as well)

If you're going during the "slow" season when park hours are shorter and everything is closed by 8 or 9pm, or you don't like taking mid day breaks, or you prefer to have a more relaxing trip, you can skip the park hoppers. The trip is so expensive though and I don't like being limited in what I can do on vacation, I just pay for them. If I want to go see Fantasmic one night, I don't want to be limited by not having park hoppers. We also take advantage of the jump in line 5 minutes before close method to ride the headline rides without waiting 3 hours during the day for RotR or 7DMT. The park hoppers are key to making that happen.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

I know there's a similar AP version of this, but honestly they should sell a park hopper mid tier that is just "Gets you into Epcot and nowhere else after 2pm" and I'm kinda surprised they don't do that given it's the only park with rotating festivals

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Rope drop one park, lunch break and nap, and close down a later park (at least back when they stayed open till midnight or later) was how we did it on trips too. Felt like you had two days in one and missed the worst crowds/got more done. Without those extra magic hours I don’t know if we would do it that way if we were visiting now.

If you have young kids though, I 100% recommend the midday break.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

I'm 40 and my wife is almost 40 and we love midday breaks lol. We just stick to the same park each day.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

skipdogg posted:

Our "touring" style is to take a midday break. We hit the parks hard in the morning, I'm talking early rope drop and then leave the first park sometime between 12 and 2 PM. Head back to the room, nap, swim, lunch, chill, or whatever. We generally head back out around 5 or 6pm to Magic Kingdom and shut the park down for the night. We've done this since our first trip when my kids were 5 and 3 and it works for us.

This is basically my plan for our upcoming trip with our 4 and 2 year old (though maybe heading back to the hotel a little earlier at night) and was my reasoning for getting Park Hopper. I don’t want to try to cram MK into a single day at their ages.

Also, I don’t think the kids are going to get a full day out of HS and AK is a toss up, so having the option to go to other parks in the afternoon is really nice.

I have everything but dining booked at this point and am really excited to goooo in early May.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
I’m pro-PH. The fact you can always go back and catch something in another park towards the end, and you hop once and it’s paid itself.

En route to the mouse to run the princess half this weekend - this should be fun.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Anya posted:

I’m pro-PH. The fact you can always go back and catch something in another park towards the end, and you hop once and it’s paid itself.

En route to the mouse to run the princess half this weekend - this should be fun.

have fun running in 93 degrees in February 💀

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

The best advice I can give parents taking young kids is to try to stick to their schedule. If they take naps at 1pm every day, keep them on that schedule. The in park meltdowns, tantrums, etc are all because kids are thrown off their schedules and the parents push the kids way too hard to have a "magical time". I get it, WDW trips are crazy expensive so you want to get your $ worth, but you can't deviate from their schedule very much or it's just bad news bears. It's also very frustrating that the key memory they're going to have is going to be swimming at the pool or something non park related and you're going to come back and go, I just spent how many thousands of dollars for them to just remember swimming in the pool? You can push them a little by waking up a little earlier or staying out a little later, but if they nap, do not mess with the nap.

With kids that small the parks are going to be less about rides, and more about the experiences like character meets, shows, parades, and things like that. Don't miss out on the Rafiki's Planet Watch area at Animal Kingdom. It's a fun little train ride back there and there's usually a meet and greet, an animation demo and some other cool stuff going on. The aquarium in the seas building at epcot is a great time for young kids as well.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

Yeah- I’m 100% planning on making sure they get nap time (or at least enforced room-based chill time). Paying way too much for a hotel room to make sure it’s easily achievable.

I lightly remember going to Disney as a 4 year old and the riverboat and Swiss Family treehouse are what stand out in my memory, so I’m trying not to get caught up in making sure they do popular thing xyz.

Getting emotionally prepared for watching the airport baggage carousel to be their favorite thing tho.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

tomapot posted:

Thanks for your help with the cruise info. I booked the Dream for the 8-Night Mediterranean cruise with Greek Isles Cruise from Civitavecchia Italy. Getting to Rome two days early as an add-on. Figured I might not make it back to Rome ever so might as well take advantage.

Oh hell yeah! You're very welcome, that's amazing, and I'm happy I could help a little. I can't wait to hear a trip report on that one. That's in my top-2 bucket list cruises. You're going to have such an amazing time.

worms butthole guy posted:

Let's not besmirch Cheetah Hunt, the greatest roller coaster in florida

I loving love Cheetah Hunt.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

BadSamaritan posted:

Getting emotionally prepared for watching the airport baggage carousel to be their favorite thing tho.
i did my best to take my kids on a bunch of rides but i think their most treasured attraction was Fence I Kept Telling Them Not To Swing On

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

Fwiw I just asked my kids what their favorite part of the Disney trip was a year and a half ago because I was genuinely curious. My daughter (5 at the time) said "walking through Cinderella's castle and It's A Small World" and my son (3 at the time) said "a pirate's life for me". So there's hope that your kids will remember actual things at the parks.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
My wife's primary memory of her fist visit is her dad wanting to get the parks over with so he could go to the pub, so the gap between that and enjoying a fence or a luggage carousel still gives you lots of room.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Good-Natured Filth posted:

Fwiw I just asked my kids what their favorite part of the Disney trip was a year and a half ago because I was genuinely curious. My daughter (5 at the time) said "walking through Cinderella's castle and It's A Small World" and my son (3 at the time) said "a pirate's life for me". So there's hope that your kids will remember actual things at the parks.

Better than my friends 3 year old: “the train leaving”

She’s a very blunt child.

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

When our son was young it was parks in the morning, pool and/or nap during the peak hot times, park at night.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
I went to the parks a lot as a kid (grandparents lived in Florida) so I'm not sure what is earliest but I remember riding the main street fire engine when I was young. Also having breakfast with the characters on the Empress Lilly.

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler

Anya posted:

Oof good luck. It’s hot as hell. I’m running the springtime challenge again and training has been hard to stick to this year.

We’ve got a toddler in tow now and years of dragging other family’s kids around the park taught me how crucial the mid day break is with small children. No ride is worth the 2PM toddler meltdown.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

I cannot fathom leaving a park I paid over $100 a day for just to go lay down in a bed, which my lazy self can do after said park is closed for the day.

But I am also completely insane and ridiculously abusive to my useless flesh sack so I probably have a much different outlook than most of y'all. I just can't imagine spending Disney entrance money then peacing out because I get a little bit tired around 2 pm. I gotta maximize my bullshit so I can barely move when I wake up the next morning.

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

Zombina says "si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes!"
Stay near epcot to make park hoppers a no brainer. You always have the option to have dinner/a few extra rides before you walk to your hotel for the night.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

I cannot fathom leaving a park I paid over $100 a day for just to go lay down in a bed, which my lazy self can do after said park is closed for the day.

But I am also completely insane and ridiculously abusive to my useless flesh sack so I probably have a much different outlook than most of y'all. I just can't imagine spending Disney entrance money then peacing out because I get a little bit tired around 2 pm. I gotta maximize my bullshit so I can barely move when I wake up the next morning.
Exactly! Then you load up on caffeine and paracetamol before heading back into the park.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
The catch is always how much time you have. Last time I went to universal I made sure to have an extra day because I knew it would rain at some point and I’d just want to gently caress off back to the hotel for the rest of the day.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."

Bottom Liner posted:

have fun running in 93 degrees in February 💀

3 of my previous 4 half’s were November ones which mean I trained in 80-90s in august / sept. This weather feels glorious right now here at the parks.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

I can do this on short trips. Like 3 days at Disneyland and we’re open to close go go go. Our WDW trips are 9 days though, and it’s just too much to go open to close no break for 9 days. The parks are also insane between 2-5 and with the crowds and heat I rather not be at the park at that time. It also helps that the price difference between a 5 day park hopper and 9 day park hopper is like 90 bucks, those extra days don’t cost very much ticket wise.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, for someone on vacation, I very much feel like a mid day break of 2-3 hours is extremely beneficial, provided you:

1. Get there at rope drop and maximize the first few hours
2. Plan to return to stay until closing including getting in line for something right before park close.

You are taking advantage of the less crowded and less hot hours of the day this way. Sometimes you might not even be aware of how much the heat and crowds are affecting your mood until you sit in some quiet A/C for a little bit.

The first hour and last hour of the park's operating hours are crucial and you must be ready to rush from attraction to attraction during them. Save the slower pace for the busier parts of the day. For all of the highest-wait attractions, if you don't' ride with Genie+ then the absolute best time to queue up is literally right before park close. I do this all the time for Seven Dwarfs Mine Train, Flight of Passage, Rise of the Resistance, etc, and you end up waiting 20-30 minutes tops. I have even walked on to Flight of Passage this way.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
Please note that this does not hold true at Universal as the crowd tends to skew older and therefore stay later in the day.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

The first hour and last hour of the park's operating hours are crucial and you must be ready to rush from attraction to attraction during them. Save the slower pace for the busier parts of the day. For all of the highest-wait attractions, if you don't' ride with Genie+ then the absolute best time to queue up is literally right before park close. I do this all the time for Seven Dwarfs Mine Train, Flight of Passage, Rise of the Resistance, etc, and you end up waiting 20-30 minutes tops. I have even walked on to Flight of Passage this way.
I got two walk-ons in a row for Seven Dwarfs Mine Train on my last trip because it rained for five minutes at about 9PM and the park just emptied. Could have gone around again if we wanted to hustle back into the queue I bet.

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
I haven't stayed on property in a while; are there busses that go from the Epcot Resort loop to like Pop Century?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Hotels on the Skyliner have no busses to Epcot and DHS, except when it’s down.

So you’d have to take the Skyliner from the international gateway entrance to Pop Century. Or bus to AK (closer than MK) then to Pop Century.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Feb 26, 2023

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
Does the skylines run all night?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It runs for 60-90 minutes after park closing. The exact time depends on time of year, crowds, after hours events etc. so there's no hard published time.

The Disney Springs busses run until 2am though so if the Skyliner is closed I guess they're an option.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
4:38am and it’s 60 some degrees and I’m looking at the amount of people wearing serious costumes to run 13.1mi and while I support their madness, I’m just going to be barely Ariel bounding and trying to not die on the roads of WDW this morning.

Edit - success - didn’t die, great race, weather was perfect. Maybe I should put actual effort into training for the next one instead of literally showing up having only walked a couple 5Ks.

Anya fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Feb 26, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

So I’m trying to decide where to eat that we haven’t been to yet for my June trip. We have done all of the character meals and the only one we might do again is Tusker. But, my son is 15 now, and loves a lot of foods he didn’t like 4 years ago when we last went.

We are staying at Boardwalk, anything can’t miss in that area? Never stayed in that area of the kingdom.

I want to do Brown Derby this year, definitely going to try and get an Oga’s reservation and maybe Le Cellier. My wife really wants to eat at the place at the Riviera too.

We don’t like being tied down to too many dining reservations so trying to hold it to maybe 4 for the trip.