Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfEc9J73BO4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

SeanBeansShako posted:

Still don't smoke.

Cigar?

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Alan_Shore posted:

The bear is just a joke and you're over thinking it
No?

The bear was only a joke when they were introduced, but now they're a mystery and part of a huge cliffhanger.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

still nooooo

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Between Molotov and Warriana I feel someone should make a joke about how Brock apparently has a type, and it's women who are missing one of a pair.

Nilbop posted:

The show has always had a weird spitballing relationship with supervillainy versus regular criminals and which one was actually more dangerous. Especially as it went on it wanted to make the main cast and the League more threatening to add weight to the world they were building, but there were always conflicting moments. Like the moppets, that first season episode with a bunch of like teenage gangsters at a mall, or arguably Wide Whale.

By the way, Scare Bare is the boys' mom.

I think it can and does go either way. Hunter Gathers' whole point with SPHINX (Sphinx!) is that at least supervillains have rules, standards, and a system set up to deal with them, and it's when 'ordinary' criminals and terrorists (and governments) get their hands on super-science that poo poo really starts getting ugly fast. Or particularly farcical, the Frankenstein suicide bombers used to break strikes in South America coming to mind. And in the grand tradition of American fuckery in South America backfiring with Venturestein leading a rebellion of super-science castoffs.

And on the flipside, some of the most dangerous villains are ones who effectively combine supervillainy with more mundane influence both above and below board, like Monstroso and Wide Wale. (Come to think of it, Wide Wale pretty much serves as a replacement for Monstroso role-wise) The trick is that it's part of their archetype, perhaps. You even notice a bit of code-switching with the characters in New York, operating in different ways depending on whether they're being relatively mundane organised crime in silly outfits or being full on supervillains. (and kinda the joke with Wide Wale's gang is that they're operating as both)

Weirdly reminded of the Yakuza games again, which I suppose just kinda goes with the themes of how traditional organised crime functions, at least in pop culture- that if you're not gonna have morals, at least have standards, and operate under both written and unwritten rules of engagement that make things run smoothly and provide for means of conflict resolution and mediation, and taking responsibility if someone fucks up. Which also is a big theme that adventuring, heroism and supervillainy is ultimately a collection of subcultures with their own rules, traditions and conventions, which may be absurd and often dangerous but they give structure to an otherwise chaotic, bizarre and frequently violent existence.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Ghost Leviathan posted:

And on the flipside, some of the most dangerous villains are ones who effectively combine supervillainy with more mundane influence both above and below board, like Monstroso and Wide Wale. (Come to think of it, Wide Wale pretty much serves as a replacement for Monstroso role-wise) The trick is that it's part of their archetype, perhaps. You even notice a bit of code-switching with the characters in New York, operating in different ways depending on whether they're being relatively mundane organised crime in silly outfits or being full on supervillains. (and kinda the joke with Wide Wale's gang is that they're operating as both)

This is true on the protagonist side as well. Look at how insanely successful JJ was with the jPhone and bringing Venture Industries back into the mainstream. It’s implied he had the same success as Apple which is a fuckin 2 trillion dollar company.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

pixaal posted:

still nooooo

Cigar?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Fine I'll have a loving cigar!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

TK-42-1 posted:

This is true on the protagonist side as well. Look at how insanely successful JJ was with the jPhone and bringing Venture Industries back into the mainstream. It’s implied he had the same success as Apple which is a fuckin 2 trillion dollar company.

That JJ immediately went and got a bunch of degrees- that is, actually studying in the modern world and learning how it works and the latest technology- probably helped. Rusty's basically trapped himself in the past with an incomplete degree and hopelessly behind the times without even understanding the basics of modern technology, and the boys have similar problems, with both having been homeschooled with outdated recordings. And they're at least aware to a degree how isolated they've been and how much trouble they have adjusting to everyday life.

Of course, it seems implied a lot that the only reason Jonas Sr actually stayed afloat was because of cushy military contracts and the government willing to throw money at him for absolutely anything that he pitched like it was gonna beat the commies. Rusty gets away with that to a degree as well (see above with Venturestein) and probably explains a lot given Rusty doesn't have any idea of what success looks like besides what his father did.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I just got an email from https://www.titmousestuff.com/ saying they found some Venture Brothers T-Shirts in their warehouse so they're up with limited quantities and sizes until they run out since they're not reprints. Most look to be about $20. There's a variety from different shirt clubs:
https://www.titmousestuff.com/collections/the-venture-bros

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Rexxed posted:

I just got an email from https://www.titmousestuff.com/ saying they found some Venture Brothers T-Shirts in their warehouse so they're up with limited quantities and sizes until they run out since they're not reprints. Most look to be about $20. There's a variety from different shirt clubs:

^^ :argh: Came to post this, good luck goons

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Managed to snag 3 shirts! Thank ya, goons!

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
drat I was really hoping this one was on there

moist turtleneck fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Mar 1, 2023

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Got myself a Tenning, Illumina-tee, Big Villain, and Handy Dandy.

Rapid 99
Jan 30, 2015

Hero will never give up,
never hide,
never be defeated,
never accept evil.
Thanks! Picked up OSI, Big Villain, and Morpho. I never was able to commit to a shirt club so this is stellar.

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
How the hell did they have season 3 shirts sitting around for 15 years.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat

Omnomnomnivore posted:

Please don’t tell anyone how I live.

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
Dammit. The first two I wanted, by the time I pressed add to cart, we’re out, but so got a Guild Tenning one.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Omnomnomnivore posted:

You've clearly never worked at a place with a large warehouse. Especially one with age, even new stuff that should always be scanned and instantly updated in the system gets placed on random shelves and lost. Someone rams a fork lift into a wall so everyone goes to check it out and see if help is needed and puts their box on an incorrect shelf there's now 50 misplaced boxes with no tracking.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

I wanted another Shallow Gravy and Spanakopita! but they are sold out. poo poo went fast.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Well crap, looks like all the dude shirts are small or extra small. I’m dad bodding it up these days so that’s a no go. Oh well, maybe I’ll get a crack at a movie shirt if they make one.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
Was hoping to replace my ILLUMINA-TEE.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

drat, none of these fit. Would have been a great gift for the boy.

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

Well, nothing left for me that’ll fit except the Dr. Z and I’m not too hot on it. On the plus side I had no idea they were doing Lower Decks shirts.

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

deong posted:

Was hoping to replace my ILLUMINA-TEE.

SAMMEEEEE

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Hope they're doing one last shirt for the movie when it comes out.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
An actual HankCo work shirt and/or a formal Speed Suit for a ludicrous amount of money would be :discourse:.

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer
Really hope they manage to snag a limited theatrical release or something

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Rexxed posted:

Goddamn. Everything is gone. :(

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

mutantIke posted:

Really hope they manage to snag a limited theatrical release or something

Season 5 had one in a few theaters across the country, hopefully they could do the same with this. Somebody cosplayed as Brickfrog there, it was great. I still have the poster they gave out for it, dug it out a few weeks ago

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Alamo has done premiere parties for season openers in the past, but those aren't super widespread.

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
Doc and Jackson are answering questions on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/p/CpTy5riuFRY/?utm_source=ig_web_button_share_sheet

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Wow, ig is dogshit for AMAs

E: oh they're not answering them in the comments

theflyingexecutive fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Mar 3, 2023

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I don't think it's an AMA, they are just asking for questions that they will answer at a different time.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Could be for a DVD/blu-ray special feature on the movie

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Started rewatching this after finishing Harley Quinn and telling my fiancee every episode "This show is so Venture Bros." I fell off after Season 4 so looking forward to getting to the "new" stuff as well!

Thoughts through 1.5 seasons are that the show's writing and wit are still incredibly sharp. I think it's remarkable this came out before even the MCU normalized "super heroes being quippy", while Venture Bros obviously goes beyond that, I think a new viewer may not realize how fresh the show's whole approach is. It really hits its stride toward the end of S1, and S2 has been nearly non-stop bangers.

As lots of folks have noted many jokes haven't aged well, tons of pejoratives that really don't need to be tossed around. The trans jokes are really uncomfortable, it helps that Dr. Girlfriend isn't quite the butt of the jokes but they're still unnecessary and I wish they weren't there. And I'm not looking forward to Sgt Hatred or future Hunter Gathers appearances.

tl;dr: Go Team Venture!

Tender Bender fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Mar 6, 2023

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

Tender Bender posted:

Started rewatching this after finishing Harley Quinn and telling my fiancee every episode "This show is so Venture Bros." I fell off after Season 4 so looking forward to getting to the "new" stuff as well!

Thoughts through 1.5 seasons are that the show's writing and wit are still incredibly sharp. I think it's remarkable this came out before even the MCU normalized "super heroes being quippy", while Venture Bros obviously goes beyond that, I think a new viewer may not realize how fresh the show's whole approach is. It really hits its stride toward the end of S1, and S2 has been nearly non-stop bangers.

As lots of folks have noted many jokes haven't aged well, tons of pejoratives that really don't need to be tossed around. The trans jokes are really uncomfortable, it helps that Dr. Girlfriend isn't quite the butt of the jokes but they're still unnecessary and I wish they weren't there. And I'm not looking forward to Sgt Hatred or future Hunter Gathers appearances.

I feel like the offhand quippiness thing predates Whedon and the MCU, as much as it usually gets attributed to them. Batman & Robin was definitely doing that in 97 ("I want a car! Chicks dig the car." "This is why Superman works alone.") The Brendan Frasier Mummy movies, Bond movies, and Indiana Jones had that vibe to an extent. I don't know anything about adventure serials or radio dramas but I wouldn't be surprised if it really started around then.

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

I love Batman & Robin but acknowledging it as quippy feels like giving it way too much credit

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

Tender Bender posted:

And I'm not looking forward to Sgt Hatred or future Hunter Gathers appearances.

Can't wait for you to change your mind on this.

Just saw the Harley Quinn valentine episode and Etrigan as basically a sex shop worker is the funniest loving thing I've ever seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

They're not quips, they're one liners. The predecessor of quips.

"What killed the dinosaurs? The ice age!"