Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

this guy is a right-winger anti-vax conspiracy freak who thinks the pandemic was planned

stop posting this loving bullshit jesus christ. that goes for everyone!!! just stop it

lol at coming to this thread to argue for individual consumption choices as a meaningful solution to anything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Trabisnikof posted:

lol at coming to this thread to argue for individual consumption choices as a meaningful solution to anything

i dont loving care what he consumes, i dont want to be subject to it

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

i dont loving care what he consumes, i dont want to be subject to it

but enough about climate change

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

this guy is a right-winger anti-vax conspiracy freak who thinks the pandemic was planned

stop posting this loving bullshit jesus christ. that goes for everyone!!! just stop it

look the us geological survey said that sea levels will rise ~75m if all glaciers melt. This is enough to make large parts of europe an archipelago and is probably going to happen.
Simultaneously everything in the tropics will be uninhabitable for significant parts of the year. Additional habitable land is not being opened up because of icemelt -- those regions will be barren mud pits for a long time.

This is happening because decisions are based on Money and Number.

The pandemic happened because decisions are based on Money and Number. 9/11 every day is required because Money and Number could be negatively affected.
OH & PA & WV & NY have large ecologically damaged regions because the trains must be allowed to be run dangerously. The trains are required to run even if they could flip over and explode because otherwise Money & Number could be hurt.

This has happened before. The oranges have to burn, etc etc, grapes of wrath.txt
The short terror of the french revolution, the long everyday terror, etc etc
These events and kinds of things are required to occur in order to maintain the system

If these processes are even slightly changed it threatens to displace Money & Number as the #1 most important thing. All aspects of society are built based on this assumption. Money & Number being a more important priority than the ohio and mississippi watersheds -- everyone who lives downstream and downwind of every superfund site getting completely hosed -- these things are required to enable Money & Number to function correctly. You gotta have M&N to make this work. It's more important to allow disaster and then plaster it over with superfund than it is to prevent disaster.

People flow between different parts of the conspiracy sphere and right wing and reactionary bs because they see everything going to poo poo, not even in an abstract way, but in front of their eyes. They need to build some functioning worldview that explains this. The people pulling the levers aren't people. That's a myth, nobody's at the wheel, nobody's pulling the levers, & an enormous number of extremely important decisions have been offloaded to the market, most importantly all responsibility has been offloaded -- the solution is dilution after all.

Everybody knows poo poo's hosed, but don't have the tools to realize exactly how, so they seize on what they can for stability. The conspiracy freak is formed from the conspiracy, arising from it. The conspiracy against humanity is real, but there are no conspirators. The cabal is obsolete.

We know even the most remote glaciers, while they still exist, are accumulating polluted layers. Can anybody have any wonder or surprise if someone gets into believing snow is poison? That medicine is poison? In order for this society to work we must allow people to be destroyed. That's not good. If society itself is arranged good then it will have good results. The results aren't good. But it's not comfortable to see society is wrong. An option: it is not society that is inherently wrong, but a poison pill implanted to make society wrong.

Trabisnikof posted:

new thread title, really

Same poo poo, different day?
It's a different toilet but the same poo poo.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Pouring one out for our lost posting buddy and his loose screws

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin

SniperWoreConverse posted:

the only food that i can imagine that isn't in plastic is some kind of extremely expensive wine that is perfectly produced in the ancienne technique and corked with real cork and they don't use plastic tubing while fermenting or bottling or anything.

Anything with liquid contents in a can is in plastic, the cans are lined with plastic to keep them from corroding.
All bulk goods are in plastic bags. Idk you might be able to get like bulk feed for your cow via wired bales or ginormous burlap sacks? Those sacks and bales would surely be cheaper in plastic...
Anything in a bottle is in plastic -- glass bottles are sealed with metal and plastic.
Anything in a box is in a plastic bag inside the box or sealed with plastic.

Potentially tea? What is a loose leaf tea that's not in plastic? Coffee? Hypothetically coffee might not be directly exposed to plastic in the packaging? You could maybe traverse the silk road to get tea from a remote monastery that's not been in plastic?

Cheese is either in plastic or plasticized aluminum foil... there might be some not exposed?

I'm gonna say if there's anything not exposed to plastic it would be wine / cheese / coffee / tea, but all of those are almost for certain actually exposed even if the final packaging is not plastic. Is sticks of butter in wax paper or in plastic coated "parchment?"

e: eggs. The interior of eggs are not exposed to plastic directly unless it's infusing through the shell somehow

the eggs are plastic

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
the chicken feed is surely plastic, therefore the eggs are plastic

the screws and screwdrivers are plastic

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

look the us geological survey said that sea levels will rise ~75m if all glaciers melt. This is enough to make large parts of europe an archipelago and is probably going to happen.
Simultaneously everything in the tropics will be uninhabitable for significant parts of the year. Additional habitable land is not being opened up because of icemelt -- those regions will be barren mud pits for a long time.

This is happening because decisions are based on Money and Number.

The pandemic happened because decisions are based on Money and Number. 9/11 every day is required because Money and Number could be negatively affected.
OH & PA & WV & NY have large ecologically damaged regions because the trains must be allowed to be run dangerously. The trains are required to run even if they could flip over and explode because otherwise Money & Number could be hurt.

This has happened before. The oranges have to burn, etc etc, grapes of wrath.txt
The short terror of the french revolution, the long everyday terror, etc etc
These events and kinds of things are required to occur in order to maintain the system

If these processes are even slightly changed it threatens to displace Money & Number as the #1 most important thing. All aspects of society are built based on this assumption. Money & Number being a more important priority than the ohio and mississippi watersheds -- everyone who lives downstream and downwind of every superfund site getting completely hosed -- these things are required to enable Money & Number to function correctly. You gotta have M&N to make this work. It's more important to allow disaster and then plaster it over with superfund than it is to prevent disaster.

People flow between different parts of the conspiracy sphere and right wing and reactionary bs because they see everything going to poo poo, not even in an abstract way, but in front of their eyes. They need to build some functioning worldview that explains this. The people pulling the levers aren't people. That's a myth, nobody's at the wheel, nobody's pulling the levers, & an enormous number of extremely important decisions have been offloaded to the market, most importantly all responsibility has been offloaded -- the solution is dilution after all.

Everybody knows poo poo's hosed, but don't have the tools to realize exactly how, so they seize on what they can for stability. The conspiracy freak is formed from the conspiracy, arising from it. The conspiracy against humanity is real, but there are no conspirators. The cabal is obsolete.

We know even the most remote glaciers, while they still exist, are accumulating polluted layers. Can anybody have any wonder or surprise if someone gets into believing snow is poison? That medicine is poison? In order for this society to work we must allow people to be destroyed. That's not good. If society itself is arranged good then it will have good results. The results aren't good. But it's not comfortable to see society is wrong. An option: it is not society that is inherently wrong, but a poison pill implanted to make society wrong.

:nsa:

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
My most recent

moment was realising that rising sea levels will wash even more of our plastic poo poo and other toxic chemical crap out into the ocean as they claim our coastal communities that are built and furnished entirely out of that poo poo

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
yeah it's enough that literally every single costal city will be washed into the sea

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Colin Mockery posted:

Snowballs actually don't drip water if you hold a lighter up to them from below, but I don't know why you'd expect everyone to know that.

If you want to melt a snowball, drop it in warm water and watch it disappear.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0x6vIAtFcI&t=7s

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
my first reaction on the lighter vid was "wait his hand is wet, it must be 50/50 or some poo poo" and "this is dumb, put it on a metal pan over the stove to boil off the water, and if it fumes then you'll know"

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
its literally smog snow on the side of the road

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

GoldStandardConure posted:

glad to see you posting here and living your best life being a friend to nature

hope you are doing well!!
thank you, i'm trying :unsmith: it's great to see you too! welcome

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
Saw a video recently that was talking about geothermal electricity generation. The general jist of it was that it has some high maintenance issues but it's low on emissions, and we could probably viably put it in a lot more places than you might think. The reason we don't though is that it costs a lot of money to pay people while the holes are being drilled, because things often go wrong and they have to be there for months at a time not doing much, and we just couldn't possibly do that. :shrug:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6UGpaKnkS0

starkebn has issued a correction as of 13:59 on Feb 25, 2023

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Pouring one out for our lost posting buddy and his loose screws

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"
meanwhile in LA https://twitter.com/rawsalerts/status/1629248307645059073

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
See you down in Arizona Bay

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Residents near Ohio derailment diagnosed with bronchitis due to chemicals https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/ohio-derailment-chemicals-people-diagnosed-bronchitis-rcna71839

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Trabisnikof posted:

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

starkebn posted:

Saw a video recently that was talking about geothermal electricity generation. The general jist of it was that it has some high maintenance issues but it's low on emissions, and we could probably viably put it in a lot more places than you might think. The reason we don't though is that it costs a lot of money to pay people while the holes are being drilled, because things often go wrong and they have to be there for months at a time not doing much, and we just couldn't possibly do that. :shrug:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6UGpaKnkS0

these youtube nerd channels for 'explaining' alternative energy poo poo are a like long-tail version of jon stewart vs the iraq war, meaningles self soothing infotainment

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

My rock climbing spouse was trying to talk me into considering moving to somewhere better for rock climbing, like las vegas or salt like city. Lol. On one hand, those places have more mountaineering nearby. On the other hand, arsenic death clouds and no water. Many sides, many sides

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

CDC - Assessment of Emergency Responders After a Vinyl Chloride Release from a Train Derailment — New Jersey, 2012

:hmmyes:

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

a strange fowl posted:

something is using my wicker hollows :siren: not for nesting, but tiny mammals and birds have been using them as resting places to enjoy a fruit in peace

It's so cool when you can get glimpses into the comings and goings of the little creatures. I feel guilty sometimes about having dogs but their noses are like flashlights on the forest floor opening up a whole nother world. Shrews especially seem to navigate through some Drunkard's Walk mechanism.

I do teach my dogs "Leave It" so they won't chase wildlife. Unless of course the wildlife has breached the garden fence, when the "Kill", "Maim", and "Eviscerate" commands are used.

I talk big but my wife would point out that the voles (local hamster analogue) who have tunnelled under the herb spiral, are slowly collapsing it, and keep killing the rosemary by eating its roots remain unmolested.

All bulk goods are in plastic bags. Idk you might be able to get like bulk feed for your cow via wired bales or ginormous burlap sacks? Those sacks and bales would surely be cheaper in plastic...

Yep. Plastic lined feed sacks protect the contents against water damage better than paper so you won't find pure paper sacks anymore. If you're an artisinal potato grower you can still buy burlap sacks but they're not cheap. Next step up are the bulk 1000 kg bags with sewn in slings made of woven plastic. Large industrial farms are piping bulk feed out of a truck through equipment and into bins that might or might not be plastic.

They still sell metal hay baling wire but I haven't seen any wired bales for a very long time. Even the 150 lb. monsters use three strands of plastic string. Maybe the huge round bales?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1nDPCv-bD4

If you want to buy natural jute or sisal twine Koch Industries will sell it to you. :psyboom:

Plasticulture - it's all plastic, all the way down. Between this and the Haber-Bosch Process we've really painted ourselves into a corner.

What? I thought he was just trolling because no one could be that stupid...
Ah, I see the flaw in my thinking.

So, if natural gas is feedstock for making plastic what do you get when you condense a butane flame against ice, or is that just the smell of butane and a directed imagination?

biceps crimes posted:

My rock climbing spouse was trying to talk me into considering moving to somewhere better for rock climbing, like las vegas or salt like city. Lol. On one hand, those places have more mountaineering nearby. On the other hand, arsenic death clouds and no water. Many sides, many sides

PNW. Lots of opportunities for even more bare rock opening up once the flames die down.

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Hexigrammus posted:

PNW. Lots of opportunities for even more bare rock opening up once the flames die down.

yeah but PNW is either really expensive and/or near nazi militias

and tbf las vegas is really good for roadside crags and just so much stuff to do within a really close distance

too bad we're all going to die

biceps crimes has issued a correction as of 20:38 on Feb 25, 2023

OIL PANIC
Dec 22, 2022

CAUTIONS
4. ... (If the battery is exhausted, the display of the liquid crystal will become vague and difficult to look at.)
7. Do not use volatile oils such as thinner or benzine and alcohol for wiping.

mdemone posted:

thread challenge read Stephen Markley's The Deluge and post which character you are, GO

fake edit: and now I'm on yet another list
im noted The Wall Street Journal columnist John Taylor Jr.'s article of 7/19/17 titled 'Warmed-Over Bunk'

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
lmao this seems good. the sierra nevadas have lost 30% of their trees in a decade

quote:

One-third of the southern Sierra Nevada Forest is already dead

The Sierra Nevada mountains of California comprise 27 million acres that include such internationally renown destinations as Lake Tahoe and Yosemite National Park. The Sierra Nevada forest is home to dozens of conifer species; including, the world’s tallest trees, the world’s widest trees, and the world’s longest-living trees.

Unfortunately, in the last decade of extreme drought across the West, combined with many of the state’s largest wildfires, Sierra conifers have been dying off at unprecedented rates. Specific evidence of this die-off was provided by a recent University of California study that found nearly a third (30%) of southern Sierra conifer forests (between Lake Tahoe and Kern County) have died in the last decade. The authors of the report, titled “Mega-disturbances cause rapid decline of mature conifer forest habitat in California” summarized their research as follows:

By using spatially comprehensive forest structure estimates, wildfire perimeter data, and the eDaRT forest disturbance tracking algorithm, the researchers studied declines in conifer forest cover in the southern Sierra Nevada of California between 2011–2020.

They found that the combination of wildfires, drought, and drought-associated beetle epidemics, resulted in the loss of 30% of the region’s conifer forest, while 50% of mature forest habitat and 85% of high density mature forests either transitioned to lower density forest or non-forest vegetation types.

As mentioned, healthy forests provide carbon storage in our fight against global warming, but they also support critical biodiversity and are necessary for water storage. Thus, the loss of the forest’s trees is far more damaging than merely the loss of trees.

Regarding trees, as the reader no doubt has by now deduced, we are stuck in a catch-22 dilemma. We need them to combat global warming, and yet global warming is killing off our trees. To make matters worse, wildfires not only destroy forests that are essential carbon sinks, but they also spew massive amounts of greenhouse gases into the atmosphere thereby contributing to increased global warming. With each revolution of this vicious cycle, we can expect the effects to keep getting worse and worse.

Another way that trees assist us in combating global warming is by increasing urban adaptability. In many cities throughout the country, hotter temperatures have prompted city leaders to increase the number of trees in order to provide needed shade. On the other hand, as we are witnessing in my corner of the globe, the severe heat, drought, and heavy rains attributed to global warming are making it more difficult to keep older trees alive and grow young ones to maturity. Though trees have evolved to be resilient to weather and wind, global warming has already created conditions that surpass the capacity to survive for many tree species.

Over the past years, many of us in the fight to mitigate global warming correctly chastised ex-President of Brazil Jair Bolsonaro. While in office, Bolsonaro allowed the decimation of the Amazonian rainforest that is one of the largest land-based carbon sinks in the world. If we are willing to stand by as our own trees and forests die off in unprecedented numbers, we become hypocrites and lose the moral soapbox upon which to criticize and take action against the misdeeds of others.

At this point, the global warming train has left the station. We have no choice but to adapt to and mitigate its effects. The only partial solution to this crisis is to heed the recommendations of the IPCC and limit greenhouse gas emissions so global warming is held to 1.5c. However, so far, we are not coming anywhere close to doing that. Humans are emitting increasing amounts of greenhouse gases into our atmosphere and failing to enact substantial mandates to stop doing so. For one example, in the United States, the recent Inflation Reduction Act (IRA) has been heralded as a substantial step in the right direction, but it isn’t; rather, it is way too little and way too late.

https://medium.com/politically-speaking/the-trees-are-dropping-like-flies-a75e6f88ceae

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
a corpse of trees

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

you hippies go around saying all copse are bad but then cry about this?

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

mdemone posted:

thread challenge read Stephen Markley's The Deluge and post which character you are, GO

fake edit: and now I'm on yet another list

I started reading this tonight after reading Amazon/Goodreads reviews about it.

err has issued a correction as of 08:01 on Feb 26, 2023

kyojin
Jun 15, 2005

I MASHED THE KEYS AND LOOK WHAT I MADE

Unless posted:

from the University of Tasmania hosting the first conference a couple years back, I think the French are shooting for their own Toby

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZaOk80HDsQ

I went and watched this series and it's pretty good

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

kyojin posted:

the french Wikipedia article on Collapsology is pretty good

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.
SUPER PIG
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2023/feb/20/us-threat-canada-super-pig-boar

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

kyojin posted:

dude, this show is like eight episodes of children of men

awesome

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHCeqvQBNIM

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Add it to the thread Required Watching list

kater
Nov 16, 2010

going shopping and seeing rows and rows of $3 plastic bleach bottles hurts I close my eyes and dream of sleeping on them all as they float in the ocean

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Microplastics posted:

Add it to the thread Required Watching list

thankfully by posting in this thread, we've all been added to the Required Watching list

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Lol

OIL PANIC
Dec 22, 2022

CAUTIONS
4. ... (If the battery is exhausted, the display of the liquid crystal will become vague and difficult to look at.)
7. Do not use volatile oils such as thinner or benzine and alcohol for wiping.
im the idiot out here trying to lifestyle brand my way to better consumption during an extinction event

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

biceps crimes posted:

move to north idaho and you have mountains on either side plus the palouse has plenty of water
also fart asparagus aka camas