Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
eeh, Oklahoma is loving horrible. Yes the secondaries are way above average but it is literally the slowest ship in the game (I think) and the shells of its main guns I believe have the worst "krupp-value" in the game, ie shatter on everything. I couldn't even make it work in T5 ranked bronze a few months ago, and if it doesn't work in that format there's little hope.

If you want T5 secondaries, Agincourt blows it out of the water.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Dropped some coal to finish the Oklahoma collection. Got it figuring neat, a Nevada-class, my collection is complete. Did not know it was a secondary monster! 8km secondaries on a tier 5? Bananas!

It does have the worst penetration on its AP shells for its gun size. By a lot.

Its a good port queen.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Tried playing some T9 botes. Five (5) super ships in both games, super CVs in one of them. Also two subs in both games. This game's really going to poo poo.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
Speaking of superships, I'm thinking of picking up the Zorkiy or Dalarna. Can anyone sell me on either?

masterpine
Dec 3, 2014

Every time I see a Zorkiy the person playing it has a 65-70% WR and proceeds to poo poo all over the match from a great height. It's becoming my most feared ship.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

kaesarsosei posted:

Speaking of superships, I'm thinking of picking up the Zorkiy or Dalarna. Can anyone sell me on either?

Zorkiy is a Khabarovsk with burst fire and unnerfed agility. Dalarna is a Halland that has an extra turret but fires slower, so the gun DPM is only slightly better, and it has access to slower higher damage torpedoes. I’d get Zorkiy first any day, because even though the Zorkiy is lower DPM on paper it applies that damage all the time.

Velius fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Mar 1, 2023

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Tell me how to Kitakaze. I played the previous tiers mostly in operations because they're the fastest way to grind T6-T8 botes, and now I'm having some difficulties. I find French DDs a lot easier to play, since the expectation is that you're moving all the time while firing, but with the Kitakaze I'd need to pick a good spot to camp in and then rain fire on my enemies.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
I don’t even know why I play this game. The higher tier matches are so passive and island-humpy. Lower tiers have 6 subs a match.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
I seem to have noticed an increase in sub the last week for some reason. But I spend more than 50% of my game time in ranked so overall they don't bother me greatly.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer
where can i claim this gift, just so the loving news stop flashing, i cant find any "collect your gift" button to click...

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
Sometimes I think WoWs needs one of those "NoContext" banter social media accounts where you can post stuff like this:

https://wows-numbers.com/player/563951013,GameoverWows/

Not only is he incredibly bad over an incredible number of games, but he appears to be getting worse.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

kaesarsosei posted:

Sometimes I think WoWs needs one of those "NoContext" banter social media accounts where you can post stuff like this:

https://wows-numbers.com/player/563951013,GameoverWows/

Not only is he incredibly bad over an incredible number of games, but he appears to be getting worse.

There are so many of those guys on the EU servers. I'm sure many of them are bots, but based on how much raging they do in chat after they get sunk rushing into a blind cap against unspotted DDs and submarines, a lot of them are real humans.

E: incidentally if anyone wants a tech tree T9 to carry with in Ranked, look no further than the Delaware. I went 9-0 with mine in the last sprint, including games where I had to solo win against a couple of enemies. The T8 hybrid BB is kind of rear end because it has bad accuracy and the planes aren't very competitive, but the T9 has accurate guns, good range and great planes. It's also surprisingly tanky if you angle properly, especially from closer ranges where you're not taking plunging AP fire.

Of course Italian BBs will absolutely shred all the hybrids if they remember to shoot SAP. But not too many people are playing those at least on the EU servers.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Apr 6, 2023

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

There are so many of those guys on the EU servers. I'm sure many of them are bots, but based on how much raging they do in chat after they get sunk rushing into a blind cap against unspotted DDs and submarines, a lot of them are real humans.

E: incidentally if anyone wants a tech tree T9 to carry with in Ranked, look no further than the Delaware. I went 9-0 with mine in the last sprint, including games where I had to solo win against a couple of enemies. The T8 hybrid BB is kind of rear end because it has bad accuracy and the planes aren't very competitive, but the T9 has accurate guns, good range and great planes. It's also surprisingly tanky if you angle properly, especially from closer ranges where you're not taking plunging AP fire.

Of course Italian BBs will absolutely shred all the hybrids if they remember to shoot SAP. But not too many people are playing those at least on the EU servers.

My Nebraska is regularly pulling 130k damage in ranked and I've carried a few games. Accuracy is not that bad given the turret placement.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

Myth: You need to play good ships to win in ranked

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

Harekaze and Orkan are not the best but both are quite good.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

Blindeye posted:

Harekaze and Orkan are not the best but both are quite good.

Not in ranked no. Harekaze has no spotting utility other than hull, actually mediocre dpm because of only 3 aki turrets, and abysmal HP pool. Especially going up against T9s (Black, Gronnigen, etc). Orkan has radar and a heal, but the boat has a top speed of 4 knots and less DPM than a pencil.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I was very successful with my harekaze because you have torpedoes to threaten bigger ships and enough dpm to fight off most tier 8s. The low surface detection is more helpful than you think.

Orkan has radar and it's matched against tier 8s. Tons of utility.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

Blindeye posted:

I was very successful with my harekaze because you have torpedoes to threaten bigger ships and enough dpm to fight off most tier 8s. The low surface detection is more helpful than you think.

Orkan has radar and it's matched against tier 8s. Tons of utility.

Torpedos are the worst weapon in the game hth, you have pitiful dpm for a T9, which is what people who want to play good ships bring

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

If you bring a tier 8 dd there will be a tier 8 bb on the other side. Never fight fair anyway.

Yeah, it's not a tier 9, but comparing it to tier 9s is silly.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

Blindeye posted:

If you bring a tier 8 dd there will be a tier 8 bb on the other side. Never fight fair anyway.

Yeah, it's not a tier 9, but comparing it to tier 9s is silly.

In almost every game there's one or two T9 dds in addition to the T8 counterpart, and I usually end up going after all of them

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Everything a player :airquote: should :airquote: do is predicated upon the other players all, also, doing what they :airquote: should :airquote: do; so the whole game is a clusterfuck and play whatever as long as you have fun.
:shrug:

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Blindeye posted:

My Nebraska is regularly pulling 130k damage in ranked and I've carried a few games. Accuracy is not that bad given the turret placement.

Huh, maybe I just didn't give mine a fair shake then. I played maybe 10 games, and experienced my shells perfectly bracketing my target time and time again and just free XP'd the T9.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't look up my ranked numbers but my random battles are 3-0 averaging 117k damage, and I didn't even free xp the modules. I have also definitely had 14k bomber salvos. The key is knowing how to have hard cover to protect your squishy carrier deck and to be in its gunnery sweet spot (12-16km).

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

so i got bored and booted up my account on this from the closed beta and shortly afterwards. i seem to have one of the most overpowered mid-tier ships in the game (the gulio cesare) which has been making me feel unaccountably good at the game (I tried using the gremy which i gather is similarly overpowered but it turns out that requires actual skill which i do not have)

anyway, I remembered that the cleveland was really fun in the closed beta and part of why i quit was i got bored re-grinding to it. but now, i've got both of the US tier 6 cruisers...and have found out they nerfed the cleveland into the ground ages ago.

anyway, so my basic question is: I have something like 230k free xp. i notice playing with the cruisers I am not really getting the hang of them, perhaps because I'm not very good at this game, nor is it likely I become good at it. but - if I'm playing for a few months, what should I aim for? I can keep using my cesare to play on easymode and two-shot cruisers that make bad life choices (which happens to me when I play with cruisers). but what else would be fun? should I keep grinding US cruisers? should I just dump the XP into getting a carrier (are they any fun?) is the cleveland still a fun thing to go for?

also, is there, like, an idiot's guide to playing this game? battleships seem easy: take AP, ram through cruisers; stay away from destroyers, when there's no cruisers handy duel other battleships. cruisers seem...trickier, since you can die so quickly. destroyers seem trickiest of all what with the smoke laying and torpedoing. and I have no loving idea what carriers do except occasionally poorly drop torpedoes somewhere nearby.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

evilweasel posted:

so i got bored and booted up my account on this from the closed beta and shortly afterwards. i seem to have one of the most overpowered mid-tier ships in the game (the gulio cesare) which has been making me feel unaccountably good at the game (I tried using the gremy which i gather is similarly overpowered but it turns out that requires actual skill which i do not have)

anyway, I remembered that the cleveland was really fun in the closed beta and part of why i quit was i got bored re-grinding to it. but now, i've got both of the US tier 6 cruisers...and have found out they nerfed the cleveland into the ground ages ago.

anyway, so my basic question is: I have something like 230k free xp. i notice playing with the cruisers I am not really getting the hang of them, perhaps because I'm not very good at this game, nor is it likely I become good at it. but - if I'm playing for a few months, what should I aim for? I can keep using my cesare to play on easymode and two-shot cruisers that make bad life choices (which happens to me when I play with cruisers). but what else would be fun? should I keep grinding US cruisers? should I just dump the XP into getting a carrier (are they any fun?) is the cleveland still a fun thing to go for?

also, is there, like, an idiot's guide to playing this game? battleships seem easy: take AP, ram through cruisers; stay away from destroyers, when there's no cruisers handy duel other battleships. cruisers seem...trickier, since you can die so quickly. destroyers seem trickiest of all what with the smoke laying and torpedoing. and I have no loving idea what carriers do except occasionally poorly drop torpedoes somewhere nearby.

So I play this game.. way way more than I probably should, and I'm (along with fellow poster Velius) in a usually very competitive (like top 10-20 or so on the NA server) clan, and I will try to help out a bit here.

I personally feel that all three of the 'traditional' surface classes are more fun and have more varied and dynamic game play loops, and all three can offer plenty of fun things to do and work on. CVs can certainly be very powerful but will always remain a bit contentious because at their core they interrupt what was the central theme of WoWS game play. Mainly that warships is a vision control game that has a naval combat graphic overlay. There is also just less variation in CV game play. Particularly once you get used to dodging the automated flak bursts, pretty much every carrier is ''pick what you need done right now, go do it, and also accidentally ruin someone else's time while you're doing it just because you spotted them". Anyway personal gripes aside unless it really appeals to you right away CV game play will probably be more boring.

The ultimate goals of the three classes are generally:

BBs create map presence by the THREAT of huge alpha strike. Good BB game play is a balance of picking the right place and right time to move yourself, such that your team has the largest possible area of freedom. Ships that do not respect your alpha threat will (with some luck as well) get punished for it, and you can then claim more and more space.

Cruisers create pressure in the spaces they occupy by dealing damage to things that are unable to deal damage back as easily. You can do this by using islands to block vision, smokescreens to block vision, flank to positions that ships are unlikely to want to bring their attention to, or mainly at higher tiers, be tanky in certain positions or situations. Cruiser play is generally seen as the trickiest because so many people do not understand how to figure out where to go to both be safe and be able to shoot. It's a combination of understanding spotting mechanics, understanding game flows (so that you can guess accurately where enemy pushes will be, where you should kite to receive them, and where they will not be pushing), and understanding the general mentality of others - when battleships will focus on something else other than you, when DDs will try to overextend, etc.

DDs provide vision and create space by forcing other ships into positions where they aren't spotted - a DD with someone near them in a good spot creates a wide zone where cruisers and BBs cannot safely be because they will get focused and they have no way of mitigation. Especially at later tiers DDs get a lot more varied in traits from pure gunboats that basically operate like highly mobile cruisers to almost pure torpedo platforms etc.

As far as idiots guides - there's less fresh content like that lately. It's late and I'm on a phone so I can't really pull up specific links right now, but Potato Quality's "Unicum Guide to Aiming" is fantastic for gunnery. A lot of youtube videos from earlier on Flamu's channel are excellent - he is an extremely good player especially in random battles, but as time has gone on he's kind of gotten more and more jaded and farming salt views more than educational content.

https://www.reddit.com/r/WorldOfWar...nt=2&utm_term=1 One link I did want to grab was Dolphin Princesses Uniscum Guide to Russian DDs. While mainly a guide to Russian destroyer play, it goes in depth into some other more general concepts - most importantly about how controlling a cap has nothing to do with hiding a destroyer in a circle for 60 seconds but instead about addressing the presence you find there and picking the right method to kill or drive off the enemy to the point that you can just park a battleship in there and take it.

Also a fantastic way to learn is to division with people who play better, you should join the goon wows discord. If you play evenings on NA I can definitely play some games with you help grind stuff and answer questions.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzsgZTP6SEU

Yuro went and tossed together 3 Super Unicum players, heavy cruiser DPM, American BB heals, and tight teamwork to ruin a bunch of people's days. They burned down one of the new hybrid aviation battleships in <20s because it wandered within range of their guns.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Apr 9, 2023

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
I don't think it was 100% obvious that Illinois was going to be broken, but the fact that it was so unusual meant there was a very large chance it would be unbalanced either way. I'm 500 RB points away from getting it, but its annoyingly difficult to get that many until the next BP season.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

kaesarsosei posted:

I don't think it was 100% obvious that Illinois was going to be broken, but the fact that it was so unusual meant there was a very large chance it would be unbalanced either way. I'm 500 RB points away from getting it, but its annoyingly difficult to get that many until the next BP season.

12 American 203mm cruiser guns on a BB platform that can't be overmatched by Yamato, with a Des Moines fire rate, get 3 of them and it's 36x 203mm barrels, you can literally drown someone in HE and they can do precisely gently caress all in retaliation before they die. A TTK of <20s means a targeted BB gets one volley off before it's turned into a crispy critter. It's absolutely a disgusting ship for a coordinated division and it's so good.

Also, the immense pushing power of Illinois in a group lines up well with Dolphin Princess' UniSCUM guide, win the fight and you win the cap, break your enemy with overwhelming force and make them flee the engagement, and then farm them for damage and you will win every time. The Illinois gives you enough power in a division to do this, even if your entire team is potatoes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oo9buo9Mtos&t=15s

orange juche fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Apr 9, 2023

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

orange juche posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzsgZTP6SEU

Yuro went and tossed together 3 Super Unicum players, heavy cruiser DPM, American BB heals, and tight teamwork to ruin a bunch of people's days. They burned down one of the new hybrid aviation battleships in <20s because it wandered within range of their guns.

Ah, the classic WoWS Balancing of "we just really hope nobody does the obviously broken combo with this thing".

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

toadee posted:

So I play this game.. way way more than I probably should, and I'm (along with fellow poster Velius) in a usually very competitive (like top 10-20 or so on the NA server) clan, and I will try to help out a bit here.

I personally feel that all three of the 'traditional' surface classes are more fun and have more varied and dynamic game play loops, and all three can offer plenty of fun things to do and work on. CVs can certainly be very powerful but will always remain a bit contentious because at their core they interrupt what was the central theme of WoWS game play. Mainly that warships is a vision control game that has a naval combat graphic overlay. There is also just less variation in CV game play. Particularly once you get used to dodging the automated flak bursts, pretty much every carrier is ''pick what you need done right now, go do it, and also accidentally ruin someone else's time while you're doing it just because you spotted them". Anyway personal gripes aside unless it really appeals to you right away CV game play will probably be more boring.

The ultimate goals of the three classes are generally:

BBs create map presence by the THREAT of huge alpha strike. Good BB game play is a balance of picking the right place and right time to move yourself, such that your team has the largest possible area of freedom. Ships that do not respect your alpha threat will (with some luck as well) get punished for it, and you can then claim more and more space.

Cruisers create pressure in the spaces they occupy by dealing damage to things that are unable to deal damage back as easily. You can do this by using islands to block vision, smokescreens to block vision, flank to positions that ships are unlikely to want to bring their attention to, or mainly at higher tiers, be tanky in certain positions or situations. Cruiser play is generally seen as the trickiest because so many people do not understand how to figure out where to go to both be safe and be able to shoot. It's a combination of understanding spotting mechanics, understanding game flows (so that you can guess accurately where enemy pushes will be, where you should kite to receive them, and where they will not be pushing), and understanding the general mentality of others - when battleships will focus on something else other than you, when DDs will try to overextend, etc.

DDs provide vision and create space by forcing other ships into positions where they aren't spotted - a DD with someone near them in a good spot creates a wide zone where cruisers and BBs cannot safely be because they will get focused and they have no way of mitigation. Especially at later tiers DDs get a lot more varied in traits from pure gunboats that basically operate like highly mobile cruisers to almost pure torpedo platforms etc.

As far as idiots guides - there's less fresh content like that lately. It's late and I'm on a phone so I can't really pull up specific links right now, but Potato Quality's "Unicum Guide to Aiming" is fantastic for gunnery. A lot of youtube videos from earlier on Flamu's channel are excellent - he is an extremely good player especially in random battles, but as time has gone on he's kind of gotten more and more jaded and farming salt views more than educational content.

https://www.reddit.com/r/WorldOfWar...nt=2&utm_term=1 One link I did want to grab was Dolphin Princesses Uniscum Guide to Russian DDs. While mainly a guide to Russian destroyer play, it goes in depth into some other more general concepts - most importantly about how controlling a cap has nothing to do with hiding a destroyer in a circle for 60 seconds but instead about addressing the presence you find there and picking the right method to kill or drive off the enemy to the point that you can just park a battleship in there and take it.

Also a fantastic way to learn is to division with people who play better, you should join the goon wows discord. If you play evenings on NA I can definitely play some games with you help grind stuff and answer questions.

Thanks - this is all super helpful. Also probably explains why I get relentlessly owned in cruisers, as what you are describing is, uh, considerably more cautious and nuanced than I've been playing them. I suppose I'll keep specializing in battleships and race up the USN tree there.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
So what I am finally seeing almost a year (or maybe its more, I can't remember) after the economic rework are the chickens coming home to roost. I am having to play most matches with grey economic boosters now because I don't have any/many greens or blues. I actually have a ton, almost 900 green, blue and red ship XP bonuses which i don't use since I hardly grind any tech trees anymore but no CXP or FXP ones. I don't even care about the credits one.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

I'm dipping my toes back into this after not having played for a few years, and I realize I still cannot get used to playing cruisers. Battleships and destroyers I got no trouble with, I enjoy both of them and usually do reasonably well. But as a cruiser it seems like I only get to exist on the forbearance of enemy battleships. The moment even one of them decides to target me I can't really do much except run away (assuming I don't just die in a couple of salvos), since I don't have the maneuverability to really evade fire nor the resilience to take those hits. I notice it the other way around when I'm in a BB as well: As soon as a cruiser ends up within range it's a borderline free kill if I decide to prioritize it. It seems like the only way to proactively ensure your survival is by constantly camping islands or staying behind your own BBs, at which point you're just kinda wasting everybody's time because you're not doing your job of warding off enemy DDs.

Fake edit: Lmao I just played against submarines for the first time, who in the world thought that was a good idea. :psyduck:

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Subs killed my interest in this game dead.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
I don't feel like this dockyard is particularly enthusing. It's an IJN battlecruiser with a lot of torps, except its purpose is to snipe from max range using a special spotter plane?

I already have the Musashi, thank you.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012

wdarkk posted:

I already have the Musashi, thank you.

Musashi is probably still the best BB tier-for-tier in the game, so yeah I wouldn't bother with the Daisen if I were you. I'm going to get it because buying the Premium BP for 3 stages, and paying for 2 more with dubs seems like a decent deal to me considering all the other stuff in the dockyard phases and BP. But I got burned by the Hizen, that thing is a piece of poo poo. It's probably worse than a Kearsarge with no planes.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Anybody else have an issue where like the entire EU server side of the game doesn't seem to work? It started with me not being able to see the armory ingame, then the game launcher wouldn't start up anymore because it can't reach the update server, and as it turns out all their websites are slow as gently caress and time out when I try to reach them through a regular browser. At first I figured it was just a regular server outage, but it has lasted for like a week by now. I can't even reinstall because the site where I'd download the launcher from doesn't load.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
I love getting the occasional video recommendation for this game because I get to see what new terrible bullshit they’ve added.

Superships seem real fun.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Perestroika posted:

Anybody else have an issue where like the entire EU server side of the game doesn't seem to work? It started with me not being able to see the armory ingame, then the game launcher wouldn't start up anymore because it can't reach the update server, and as it turns out all their websites are slow as gently caress and time out when I try to reach them through a regular browser. At first I figured it was just a regular server outage, but it has lasted for like a week by now. I can't even reinstall because the site where I'd download the launcher from doesn't load.

Could it be related to this / this?

https://www.reddit.com/r/WorldOfWarships/comments/12xgwhq/psa_if_the_webbased_services_armory_dockyard/

Or if you want to skip that, just go here directly:

https://forum.worldofwarships.eu/topic/169285-update-123-bug-reports/?page=2&tab=comments#comment-4379418

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Oh dang, that did the trick. Thanks so much!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Perestroika posted:

Oh dang, that did the trick. Thanks so much!

Glad it helped and reading Reddit produced something positive for once.

E:

Anyone have opinions on the Tromp or F. Sherman? I'm trying to decide on my next coal ship, and until recently I was convinced I'd get the Napoli but now I'm not sure. I also don't have the Alvaro de Bazan if that makes any difference. I already have the Marceau, Yoshino, Kearsarge as well as the former tech tree ships.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Apr 25, 2023