Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

Halloween Jack posted:

If you think she might benefit from some flat perches, they're cheap and easy to make. I'm in the middle of a very busy day but I could post some pictures later.

Her tubby butt already has them. She likes them during the day, but weirdly won’t sleep on them.

When I wake her in the morning, Yellow is still perched just fine, even one legged.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
Look at her, pretending to be nice for about five minutes. :derptiel:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gX0IjDq1WR4

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?
I love their little expectant faces when they are awaiting pats and scritches. It's like, cmon, what are you waiting for human? :derptiel:

Tux is showing signs of starting to sing:

https://youtube.com/shorts/VuIMIG-BjuU?feature=share

Once he nails "if you're happy and you know it" I wanna teach him how to do the YumYum dibby-do.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Glad to see the return of the mighty borb.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

So after a few weeks of Chick being gentle, sweet and caring, she decided to wake up super horny today. I'm back to fearing for the big peck when she's sat on my shoulder angrily squawking at my face. I've been told not to allow them to sit on my shoulder as this can promote hormonal behaviour but how on earth could I live life without having my goofball chilling right beside me.

The horniness directly correlates to the gifting of a shreddable toy. So I'm not sure what to do going forwards. I like buying them toys but the ones they're always mainly interested in are the ones they can shred to pieces. The jangly and pretty ones don't really interest them. But if getting them shreddable stuff gets them all broody then I just think I'll avoid it in the future.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
What really letting parrots on the shoulder promotes horny???

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
Depends on the bird but definitely!

Qubee
May 31, 2013

SuperKlaus posted:

What really letting parrots on the shoulder promotes horny???

Someone told me that if a bird is bonded to their owner and is allowed to sit on the shoulder, it can promote hormonal behaviour just due to the close proximity and the shoulder being a relatively warm and safe spot beside the ear. Which is really frustrating. I love giving Chick beak kisses when she's sat next to my face, and she'll do this thing where I can bop my nose up against her beak and hold it there and just make robot noises and she'll get hypnotized. I find it rather cute. She also loves to just come and pop a squat on my shoulder and chill, I find it very calming for my anxiety (except when she's in murder mode), especially when she shows so much trust by tucking her head into her wing and sleeping, or closing the eye facing me and keeping the one towards the room open. It just melts my heart.

I'll see how territorial she becomes, if it gets to be too much I'll lessen our time together to stop throwing her outta whack.

MagpieConcept
Feb 6, 2022

Well that was fast. Dunno if the egg is fertile or not, but going to have to do the fake egg thing sooner than expected. Cupid (the one nesting) let me pet her while she's nesting though, I was kind of surprised how tolerant they are about that as someone who has had chickens, lol.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

https://i.imgur.com/QPEfWZd.mp4

EmbryoSteve
Dec 18, 2004

Taste~The~Rainbow

My blood sugar is gon' be like

~^^^^*WHOA*^^^^~

Hi all! We recently (3 days ago) rescued a green cheeked conure. I have a large beard and generally use beard oil as part of the care routine. I havent used it since we brought Whidbey home due to not being sure if it is bird safe. I have been chosen apparently as the favorite person (so far) and she loves to get under my big beard and preens it while on my shirt so she would definitely be exposed to beard products. Quick googling doesnt help much. any thoughts or resources if beard oil and/or balm is safe or unsafe for pet birds??

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

I'd just check the ingredients in your oil against a list of unsafe foods for birds.

Otherwise you're fine. If your new friend gets greasy, give them a shower or spray bath. Birds naturally produce oils and apply it to their feathers so it's not going to be bad as a topical.

I guess I'd keep an eye out for signs of irritation on the cere and around the eyes and feet, but I think you're probably good.

As always, if you're still unsure, call your vet.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

https://i.imgur.com/bOBMO28.mp4

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

More importantly, EmbryoSteve, post pics of bird

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop

Dijon is a cutie!!

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Anybody here in Pet Island play Spirit Island?

I instantly understood this card's concept thanks to living with Sinbad.

When he sees someone he doesn't know outside and does his characteristic triple scream, he is simply trying to prevent us Dahans inside the apartment from being destroyed! Or he's trying to push us...not sure.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

EmbryoSteve posted:

Hi all! We recently (3 days ago) rescued a green cheeked conure. I have a large beard and generally use beard oil as part of the care routine. I havent used it since we brought Whidbey home due to not being sure if it is bird safe. I have been chosen apparently as the favorite person (so far) and she loves to get under my big beard and preens it while on my shirt so she would definitely be exposed to beard products. Quick googling doesnt help much. any thoughts or resources if beard oil and/or balm is safe or unsafe for pet birds??

As another very, very long beard haver, the pro tip here is get your bird to start grooming your beard, then they'll use their bird oils to keep your beard snazzy! On a realistic note, I opt for deep conditioners as opposed to oils which works out, but that's how I've always done my routing.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

SuperKlaus posted:

Anybody here in Pet Island play Spirit Island?

I instantly understood this card's concept thanks to living with Sinbad.

When he sees someone he doesn't know outside and does his characteristic triple scream, he is simply trying to prevent us Dahans inside the apartment from being destroyed! Or he's trying to push us...not sure.

It's quite fun pushing colonizers into the ocean :cheersbird:

EmbryoSteve
Dec 18, 2004

Taste~The~Rainbow

My blood sugar is gon' be like

~^^^^*WHOA*^^^^~

Rotten Cookies posted:

More importantly, EmbryoSteve, post pics of bird

Here is Whidbey. Whidbey island is a fun day trip for my fam so we went with the name. We rescued her from some people in Silverdale who were moving cross country. reportedly only 9 months old and was purchased from Petsmart. Our first bird but my wife raised parrots as a teen. Rescuing fit our values better than buying but we were considering buying to try and avoid behaivor issues and bird trauma. She Has had 0 issues transitioning to our home and appears very tame. I think she picked me because I was the one who drove from the seattle area to pick her up and ran my mouth at her during the 1.5 hour drive home. Or maybe she just likes beards lol.

she is hard to photo as she is always in motion. also pictured my planted community aquarium which confounds her lol. What are fish?

EmbryoSteve fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Mar 10, 2023

MagpieConcept
Feb 6, 2022

Whidbey is SO CUTE! :3:

Also my pigeons have learned how to ask to be let out, which involves some :krad: bird parkour

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

Do they like hanging out outside the cage? :o

MagpieConcept
Feb 6, 2022

They do! Pigeons seem to enjoy exploring a lot but after an hour or two they'll go right back to their cage since it's their "safe zone". Which makes cleaning their cage way easier; they get to explore while I clean.

They're not very affectionate yet, but still easy to handle and herd around.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

I mean, prior to them becoming an endemic urban species they were originally pets anyway yeah? Makes sense they'd take to it well.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

Kitfox88 posted:

I mean, prior to them becoming an endemic urban species they were originally pets anyway yeah? Makes sense they'd take to it well.

Oh yeah, I know pigeons love their outie time. I was more wondering how Magpie's little buds liked it at this point!

I'm currently thinking about pigeons with a smile

MagpieConcept
Feb 6, 2022

I learned apparently if they were to get loose at this point they'd start flying back to New Mexico - where the breeder's from, because even show pigeons have a strong homing instinct. It takes about 6 months for them to recognize a new place as Current Home Location.

But on the original question yeah, these guys are still pretty hand-shy but enjoy being let out. I'm hoping they just desensitize more and more as time goes on.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

Got dang I was worried about you and your pet fruits

I mean... not worried-worried but you know. Whatever! ...b-baka

Plant MONSTER. posted:

Anyone know how mediaphage and their birds, Alex and Grace are doing?

Also, I love Zenith

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

:kimchi:

Last weekend we took the nephew and niece to reptiland and I was thrilled to discover they have a small parakeet hut too. Might go back alone to just vibe in there with a dozen seed sticks they sell and get covered in budgies and cockatiels

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

Líme and (blue) limòn

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?
Who's a good birb who always eats his greens?

This boi
:parrot:

EKDS5k
Feb 22, 2012

THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU LET YOUR BEER FREEZE, DAMNIT
Alright so I didn't like the cage that came with my birds. It was technically big enough I guess, but one of those types where it looks nicer at the expense of actually being bird friendly: taller than it is wide, half the bars are vertical, and the roof is stepped so they spent all their time sitting in the narrowest section up top. Add a few perches and toys, and the "flight" cage gets so crowded that even for budgies it didn't seem like a lot of room. So I started shopping and man, what the gently caress why are there so many lovely cages for sale? Even King's Cages, which I saw recommended all over, look nice and sturdy and well made but they almost all have vertical bars which are terrible for climbing. Also they start at $430USD for like a 28" x 28" x 18", and go up into the thousands. I love my budgies but I got them thinking their small size would mean they wouldn't be so hard on my wallet.

So gently caress it I'll build my own. I'm not great at design and woodworking but I am dumb enough to not let that stop me.

~$200CAD at Home Depot for lumber, screws and whatnot, and another 200 for a big sheet of stainless steel mesh I could cut into pieces the size I needed. I even thought that was pricy, but cheaper options would have been galvanized steel which is toxic, or plastic which would have looked like poo poo while also being possibly toxic. I used an angle grinder to put a groove in the wood and then fit the ends of the mesh into it. Stained it all a nice red mahogany colour and bam! For two budgies it's a ridiculously extravagant mansion, with tons of room to fly around inside. The whole thing is about 40x40x18 (not including the legs and poop tray), and the door is 12x12, big enough for them to fly right in and out.

The whole front opens up, making it easy to clean or rearrange perches and toys.

It took some coaxing to get them into the new place, but I think they're much happier now. They can actually use all their space and have lots of room to move around while still being at the top.

EKDS5k
Feb 22, 2012

Doublepost but edit is making my browser crash for some reason. just wanted to add that these are some good looking birbs! :love::lovebird:

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

Hi bird thread! I'm building some bird cameras for my mom, and I remembered seeing someone had set up a bird song station that had openly shared software to go along with it. The station would record and timestamp each noise, ascertain with a probability chart what bird the noise came from, and upload the mp3 and location data to a green looking website. Does this ring a bell for anyone? I believe it was free software but I'd pay for something similar

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wd4XnkKaXsI

mediaphage fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Mar 21, 2023

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

:cry:

EKDS5k
Feb 22, 2012

I added a patio! They're way more comfortable in their new place now. Here they are throwing their supper as far as they can.

imHitchens
Oct 24, 2012

harlequin macaw

Love it!

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Hello, fellow homebuilt cage buddy.
I built a cage for my two cockatiels several years ago (I forget if I finished it 2016 or 2017), maybe you can still find pictures of it in this thread too.
Mine is roughly similar design, but larger, and stands directly on the floor. I also built it with two doors due to the size, and did not make a mesh floor. I also used cheap outdoor aviary mesh, galvanized rather than stainless, and that part is probably the weakest link. It's uneven and can't carry much weight from perches/other accessories at all.

The peg board you used for the back wall, what kind of material is that? Solid wood, plywood, particle board, or something else? I would be worried for the birds' health with particle board or plywood with holes everywhere for them to gnaw into. My own solution for mounting things on the back wall is blocks of solid wood I screw into the back wall, and then a hole with screw threads cut into it for fastening the perches/toys to the block.
I also made one of the side walls mostly solid, to offer some corner space, and mounted a large shelf on that solid wall too.

My cage is built from regular construction lumber (pine), not stained or painted. The birds have chipped some material off most edges they've been able to reach, but they're still far from breaking any parts. Even then, seeing your build makes me want to renovate mine, perhaps replace all the mesh with something safer and more solid.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
An Update on Blue and Yellow -

Yellow's leg had basically gone lame. However, it hasn't slowed her down any. She was already a bit of a potato, but still gets around the cage and does her thing. Which mostly consists of being a grump in a constant love/hate relationship with the always loving and/or vomiting into her face Blue.

They finally had their vet checkup about a week ago. There is a new Avian certified vet who works at the same location, so it was his first time seeing them.

Blue - Healthy as a horse with one exception. When he gets "grabbed" for a talon trim, we thought he would have a seizure. Not the case. Doctor says it's almost certainly a cardiovascular deficiency stemming from an infection from when he was very young. He says his "seizure" is actually him purposely shutting down to regulate his heartbeat. Doctor says this isn't a big deal and very common in "Bin or Budgies" birds, and with him living in captivity he will never get strained by constant flight to the point where it would be an issue.

Otherwise and after appropriate tests, he says Blue is a shining example of a healthy parakeet. Doesn't at all look his age of about six.

Yellow...has some problems. She has a fatty tumor that has developed under her breast. But it is soft, so he doesn't believe it to be malignant. She has also developed a fibrous tumor on her preen gland which could be malignant, but is very small all things considered and not yet a full blown problem.

But her poops show signs of messed up uric crystals, basically a form of "painless" bird gout. Doc says her leg is basically asleep, and it's something to do with her kidneys they cannot diagnose. Probably more tumors.

While we know her to be about six years old and some change, doctor bets she is over eight.

Here is the wild thing - Doctor says she could still live for a while for exactly one reason - Blue. He told me they are such an incredibly bonded pair, even in the short time he observed them, that he believes Blue is keeping her alive and healthy. He said that without Blue, Yellow wouldn't have made it more than a couple years into her life. He dotes on her, keeps her full of vomits, and makes her active.

With ALL that said, they are going on medicated water for Yellow's sake. Yellow will be brought in as needed, if she has any symptoms get worse, and I'll bring in some of her poops to check and see if medication improves thing.

tldr - We should all strive to find a Blue to be our mate, because constant vomit is love. :derptiel:

OH poo poo, she sees me!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

Captain Log posted:

OH poo poo, she sees me!

:3: