Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

Omne posted:

What did you decide on instead?

I'm in a futile search for a Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited at MSRP (i.e. no market adjustment / ADM).

Kind of close to giving up and going with something else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anza Borrego
Feb 11, 2005

Ovis canadensis nelsoni

Mandalay posted:

I'm in a futile search for a Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited at MSRP (i.e. no market adjustment / ADM).

Kind of close to giving up and going with something else.

Ugh I want one of these so bad
How stupid are the adjustments?

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
I’ve gotten a broker to offer me an Ioniq 5 SEL at MSRP plus his fee of a few hundred bucks. Personally I’m holding out for a limited (top trim) I’ve gotten a dealer to about 2k above MSRP for a Limited on the lot.

Nice discounts on leasing a BMW i4 e35 came out today. But the kidney grille look is so bad. And a lot of the cars on offer won’t be delivered until March or later.

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

I STOLE A PIE FROM ESTELLE GETTY
https://twitter.com/jennaellisesq/status/1621685430058885124

Why is America so exhaustingly stupid?

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Flew home on a Delta flight LIS -> JFK yesterday and when we landed I found that there was already an email apologizing for the flight experience along with 10,000 bonus miles. This surprised me because I didn’t think there was anything wrong with the flight at all. I was under the impression that they only did this if you asked. What’s up with this?

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.
Proactive service recovery is something that Delta and United are capable of, but it's wildly inconsistent in application. The lead FA likely initiated something and you got the miles even though whatever it was didn't impact you. Bank error in your favor. :shrug:

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Re-qual’d as platinum pro with AA thanks to credit card spend. Pretty sure I’ll drop to platinum next year.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

Cacafuego posted:

Re-qual’d as platinum pro with AA thanks to credit card spend. Pretty sure I’ll drop to platinum next year.

The credit card spend is benefitting me, I think. If I didn't split out my hotel stays onto my Marriott card it would 100% be benefitting me. I believe I'm going to reach exec plat this year but partially on the back of a last minute trip to Germany where I booked premium economy and will end up paying the ~$800 fare difference out of pocket. At this point I'm hoarding AA and Marriott points like Smaug. I'll probably try to do something wild with them that I would never be able to justify doing with cash.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
"Sir, your bag is overweight."

I move it over to the other scale and suddenly it's not. $300 short of hitting diamond, I have a feeling flying is going to suck this year.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Gotta say, I kinda enjoy seeing a family of 10 getting turned away from the centurion lounge because it’s no longer free to drag your entire extended family in with you. Also all the other people getting turned away. There are actually seats available, it’s wonderful!

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
AA sent me an offer to upgrade from Gold to Platinum for $750 or 75k miles. I think I'll be flying a fair amount this year but I don't know how often it will be on American/oneworld. I have no idea if this is worth it or not.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

keevo posted:

AA sent me an offer to upgrade from Gold to Platinum for $750 or 75k miles. I think I'll be flying a fair amount this year but I don't know how often it will be on American/oneworld. I have no idea if this is worth it or not.

It’s probably not worth it? You could use that $750 to cover the difference between economy and domestic first on most flights, and would simulate the extra upgrade you get from going from gold to plat.

taco show
Oct 6, 2011

motherforker

Ehhh maybe it would be worth it if you fly pretty often on AA out of hubs (read: a lot of gold ff) that are often weather/irrops impacted or if you very often go standby. My main hub is ORD and I’m flying to LGA a lot so plat has saved me from being stranded a bunch but I’d still be on the fence for paying for it.

The plat —> plat premium would be worth it just for free same day flight change.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Cacafuego posted:

Gotta say, I kinda enjoy seeing a family of 10 getting turned away from the centurion lounge because it’s no longer free to drag your entire extended family in with you. Also all the other people getting turned away. There are actually seats available, it’s wonderful!

Denver lounge was noticeably less crazy last Friday. We’ll see how long this lasts.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
I booked competing flights MIA-LAX on AA and B6 and cancelled the jetblue one after I got upgraded on AA a few hours before the flight. Since it just goes back to a travel credit, I’m wondering why I don’t do this more often?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Absolutely gently caress CLT

Anytime I'm going through this god-damned airport it's because of a massive fuckup and headed to god drat nowhere. Waypoint to nowhere. gently caress.

Edit: fuuuuck

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Feb 18, 2023

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
almost missed my flight at IAD because the clear + precheck line was backed up across the terminal. Now waiting at the Lax-it lot. Even with little luxuries like discount domestic J and uber comfort travel still gets old. One more week of consecutive work trips for now..

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

I STOLE A PIE FROM ESTELLE GETTY
IAD is such a transfer shitshow—especially with United's configuration with small commuter planes (going to places such as CANADA) requiring you to go across TWO concourses and take a train.

Lazy Broker
Jul 9, 2013

Whatcha gonna do? When they come for you?
I need suggestions for a one-day trip bag that can fit a suit, shirts, and maybe shoes but is not required. I am trying to avoid checking a bag at all costs and my small travel pro bag is too big for what I need.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Lazy Broker posted:

I need suggestions for a one-day trip bag that can fit a suit, shirts, and maybe shoes but is not required. I am trying to avoid checking a bag at all costs and my small travel pro bag is too big for what I need.

This thread will soon digress into bag chat but before that happens my favorite is my B&R hard side.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

I'll always front the Red Oxx Sky Train. Costs a bit more than I remember at the moment but it's well made:
https://www.redoxx.com/sky-train-91019/p

Lazy Broker
Jul 9, 2013

Whatcha gonna do? When they come for you?
Thank you both!

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
I have three Red Oxx bags I bought in 2009 that still look basically brand new. They are really good quality.

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

My preference is the Red Oxx Air Boss, since I already have a backpack I wear.
https://www.redoxx.com/air-boss-91018/p

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
I like my Briggs & Riley garment roller bag since it reduces the need for any ironing. It’s space inefficient but great for suits and dress shirts.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Mandalay posted:

I like my Briggs & Riley garment roller bag since it reduces the need for any ironing. It’s space inefficient but great for suits and dress shirts.

yeah same this is my go to bag, it's very good but a little bit bulky

Lazy Broker posted:

What size is your small travelpro bag?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Lazy Broker posted:

I have two:

1. A Patagonia “Burrito Bag” that is especially made for traveling with suits/shirts. It holds clothes right on the hangars. It was perfect when I was traveling for interviews.
2. More recently, and perhaps more of a do it all bag, my B&R carryon with a garment compartment.

Honestly, I haven’t found a bag that doesn’t wrinkle clothes at least a little bit. I still end up ironing if I care who I’m meeting.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Residency Evil posted:

I have two:

1. A Patagonia “Burrito Bag” that is especially made for traveling with suits/shirts. It holds clothes right on the hangars. It was perfect when I was traveling for interviews.
2. More recently, and perhaps more of a do it all bag, my B&R carryon with a garment compartment.

Honestly, I haven’t found a bag that doesn’t wrinkle clothes at least a little bit. I still end up ironing if I care who I’m meeting.

The real answer here is to stop caring. Set yourself free, it's liberating.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Riven posted:

I have three Red Oxx bags I bought in 2009 that still look basically brand new. They are really good quality.

I have two Red Oxx bags I had for nine years and there is a small amount of wear showing. One of the monkey fists came apart a bit. The strap for the handles on my CPA bag has torn a little bit after getting into a fight with a moving walkway. And a chunk of one of the straps is gone due to a fight with a baggage handling carousel. A bit of fade to the fabric too. Which considering I've been 75% travel for the majority of those years, and I abuse the poo poo out of them is pretty drat amazing. I can even throw them into the overheads on a CRJ-200 or ERJ-145 and they fit.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
Due to a lucky last minute trip to Germany and an unhealthy amount of credit card spend I officially made it to exec plat yesterday. This is my first time hitting exec plat so I’m actually sort of excited even if it won’t really change anything in the grand scheme of things.

Anza Borrego
Feb 11, 2005

Ovis canadensis nelsoni
I get upgraded WAY more at EP than I did at Plat or Plat Pro. DFW is still a crap shoot because of the concentration of CK there, but even there it’s like 75% of the time

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Was able to use a GUC for SEA-HND... now I need to go through EU for a meeting on the way there.

To double-check... the GUC will just get returned to me, right, since I'm not actually flying that leg?

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

"I hereby retire from Mafia"
Please turbo me if you catch me in a game.

movax posted:

Was able to use a GUC for SEA-HND... now I need to go through EU for a meeting on the way there.

To double-check... the GUC will just get returned to me, right, since I'm not actually flying that leg?

Are they showing as closed or still open? I'd call, everything seems very hosed with GUCs at the moment. I applied one to SEA-SYD which got me into PS+Waitlist and had the GUC show as Closed. Then I had to cancel/rebook my flight and when I called to apply some new GUCs the person seemed confused as to why they were closed and had to fill out a form for a different team to investigate. When she used my other GUCs to upgrade that flight they are still showing as open but I'm confirmed in PS.

Also randomly somewhere in between there Delta dropped another 4 GUCs into my account. :iiam: So now I have 2 closed and 6 open certificates all expiring 1/31/24 so maybe I'm getting double GUCs this year who knows.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Arzakon posted:

Are they showing as closed or still open? I'd call, everything seems very hosed with GUCs at the moment. I applied one to SEA-SYD which got me into PS+Waitlist and had the GUC show as Closed. Then I had to cancel/rebook my flight and when I called to apply some new GUCs the person seemed confused as to why they were closed and had to fill out a form for a different team to investigate. When she used my other GUCs to upgrade that flight they are still showing as open but I'm confirmed in PS.

Also randomly somewhere in between there Delta dropped another 4 GUCs into my account. :iiam: So now I have 2 closed and 6 open certificates all expiring 1/31/24 so maybe I'm getting double GUCs this year who knows.

I uhhhhh, haven't checked yet but now I am very curious. I just called on Saturday to apply it.

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

"I hereby retire from Mafia"
Please turbo me if you catch me in a game.
Anyone found decent deals booking hotels through Delta.com? I got excited when Delta announced Cars/Hotels booked before 3/31 will count for MQDs right as I'm booking a month abroad but everything I found was $50/night over the direct rate.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

How do you communicate your travel plans to your spouse? My wife travels about 10 days a month for work and it's totally random. I think last week she was in florida for two days and headed out to houston on monday for five days (apparently)

Usually she's fine and no issue but with a toddler it's good to know roughly where the gently caress she is and if she'll be home in time for dinner/bedtime or not etc, or if her plane lands at 6 i'll pick her up on the way home from daycare

We're doing a trial with her shared office-admin emailing me her schedule when it gets booked, but I just got like, three blank emails with unsearchable PDFs as attachments. Before you say "just have her email you the details" we tried that and we're at best alternative to a negotiated agreement stage.

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Feb 28, 2023

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
My wife and I set up a shared Google calendar and I copy events over to that calendar from my work calendar. It's trivial and I do it as a slight extra step with flights when I add them to my work calendar.

I don't bother with anything else - she just basically cares about where I will be, when I leave, and when I come home.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
Shared Google Calendar that I maintain. It's my responsibility to make sure it's accurate and timely. Being away is already enough of an imposition, the least I can do is to communicate it well.

ixo
Sep 8, 2004

m'bloaty

Fun Shoe
whiteboard calendar that I scribble on in my home office, since my spouse would never check a google calendar. my travel is usually squared away weeks or months in advance, so it’s no big deal to keep it updated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

movax
Aug 30, 2008

We use KAYAK -- just share each others trips on there and it works pretty well. Primary coordination for us right now is to make sure the floof is taken care of.