Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What do you think of the new international distribution deal?
This poll is closed.
Hate it 12 16.90%
REALLY hate it 16 22.54%
Hello, my name is Bob Chapek 43 60.56%
Total: 71 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

What the hell did they do to Davros' voice?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lyjC11bY8E

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Lord Ludikrous posted:

What the hell did they do to Davros' voice?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lyjC11bY8E

Is there a version in the original German? :allears:

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Astroman posted:

Is there a version in the original German? :allears:

Well theres this clip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VujXTkjxp0c

The Doctor is spot on and Davros is pretty good though lacking any kind of ring modulation. The daleks dont sound great, but thats probably because they sound like they're yelling into a metal trashcan and the BBC didn't provide different audio tracks for the effects.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Lord Ludikrous posted:

The Doctor is spot on

Yeah that's crazy, almost made me wonder if Colin Baker just speaks German and offered to help out or something :allears:

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

jivjov posted:

I think I have a problem

You do if none of them are Torchwood. :colbert:

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Moffat's run has a lot more of the "the Doctor is the most important person ever" than RTD's run did
I feel like RTD's Doctor was implicitly the Most Important Person. Like that was just natural in his stories. Moffat's run actually thought about the Doctor being the most important person ever, which was partially used to undercut the idea, but also made it way more explicit. It was just the narrative structure of the TV show under RTD, but under Moffat it was conscious world building.

Neither approach was good for the character. I can see why either version would stick out as doing it "more" than the other in some ways. RTD was definitely never as explicit about the implications of the Doctor's importance, but I can understand fearing that a return of RTD would bring back huge flashy stories that deify the Doctor obnoxiously.

Either approach is better than Chibnall who brings the idea to its most absurd extreme in the most artless way possible. It wasn't even indulgently fun. It was a terrible idea presented in an uninteresting way.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

jivjov posted:

I think I have a problem

And keep in mind this doesn't count all the stuff that I bought before they offered downloads (The first 100+ Doctor Who main range, the first two 8 & Lucie series, the first two Companion Chronicles series, 2000AD, The Tomorrow People, Sapphire & Steel)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Only 339 for me, but purely because a change in my commute and increased workload ground my listening to a halt and so slowed down my purchasing. Sadly, with their change in regional pricing it'll probably be a long time before I can justify buying any more.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Payndz posted:

"Look, all I ever wanted was to be in charge of writing a science fiction show where I could put a morally compromised man of violence who shoots lots of people at the centre of the action.

And then I ended up as script editor of Doctor Who. WHY DO YOU TAUNT ME, FATE?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzmnPs64K74

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNuHV-iLBRw

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Open Source Idiom posted:

I think the BBC Eigthth Doctor,
What's the BBC Eighth Doctor? I was under the impression that the American TV movie and Big Finish were it until Night of the Doctor and this most recent ep.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

LividLiquid posted:

What's the BBC Eighth Doctor? I was under the impression that the American TV movie and Big Finish were it until Night of the Doctor and this most recent ep.

During the "hiatus" between Survival, The TV Movie and then Rose there were still Doctor Who books being published, primarily with the 7th Doctor until the TV movie, after which they started writing 8th Doctor stories as well. I think they were still going when Big Finish started doing The 8th Doctor Adventures as well?

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Got it. And those were made through the Beeb?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Through Virgin Books, which had the license from the BBC (which frankly didn't really seem to give a poo poo about Doctor Who anymore) to continue to write stories now that there weren't any television episodes to novelize (they purchased Target, which produced the novelizations that were such a huge part of a lot of Doctor Who fans' childhoods).

Edit: Also doing a little more research I had it wrong, Virgin lost the license after the television movie came out, and only wrote the one 8th Doctor story, and shifted to a character called Bernice Summerfield (a precursor to River Song in some ways) while the BBC produced their own 8th Doctor stories. So, yeah, it was the BBC doing the 8th Doctor stuff apparently!

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Feb 26, 2023

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Huh. Neat. Thank you.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Eiba posted:

I feel like RTD's Doctor was implicitly the Most Important Person. Like that was just natural in his stories.
At least for Eccleston, it made sense as the 'only' survivor from an immensely tragic and fruitless war.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

It should be noted that while some writers from the Virgin Books and BBC Books DW ranges (Virgin did mainly the still-current-at-the-time 7th Doctor novels, and BBC Books handled the then-recent 8th Doctor stuff just after the TV Movie aired; both publishers also did "Past Doctors" novels, with 7 joining the ranks of the BBC Books PDA range) often contributed to Big Finish when they got the DW license, others didn't, including Lawrence Miles (sometimes referred to as "Mad Larry" in these threads).

Miles was very bitter indeed about Big Finish starting up, as he felt that people would quit reading the books now that "real" DW (i.e., Doctor Who with the original cast members) was once again available. I don't remember quite how right he was, as I forget how much time transpired between BF starting up and the BBC Books DW range shutting down. Miles was also a very divisive figure even when the books were being published; he wanted to push DW to new extremes now that it was unfettered by the constraints of TV, but often at the expense of what he considered to be the more childish aspects of the original show. Think Karen Traviss, but instead of feuding with another writer over Mandalorians vs. Jedi, he was feuding with every other writer in the range.

Probably the best example was when he decried the remit for a new companion as being like a character from the then-current TV series "This Life" because he absolutely hated that show (which I agree with). On the other hand, he wrote a two-part novel which ended with the Third Doctor being killed off while the Eighth Doctor still lived somehow, which veers on "doing something edgy for its own sake" in my view. Miles could be a bit up his own backside at times to be sure, but he disliked NuWho from the outset and very much disliked Steven Moffat in particular, so he's okay in my book :v:

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Sydney Bottocks posted:

It should be noted that while some writers from the Virgin Books and BBC Books DW ranges (Virgin did mainly the still-current-at-the-time 7th Doctor novels, and BBC Books handled the then-recent 8th Doctor stuff just after the TV Movie aired; both publishers also did "Past Doctors" novels, with 7 joining the ranks of the BBC Books PDA range) often contributed to Big Finish when they got the DW license, others didn't, including Lawrence Miles (sometimes referred to as "Mad Larry" in these threads).

Miles owns. He wasn't wrong about BF spelling doom for the novels, as sales plummeted during rhe Gary Russel BF era (though he did work for BF on several occasions). He's a fractious dude with mental health issues, but his writing is tight and interesting, and is probably still one of the most influential writers from that period, and he got on with a subset of writers within the range -- many ideas from the RTD and Moffat eras came from him originally. (Moffat's acknowledged the influence, I believe, while RTD has not -- but Miles was the actual guy behind the Time War).

I don't think Miles is edgy so much as a scab picker; a lot of his writing was an attempt to critique qnd address the racial / colonial aspects of Doctor Who. YMMV on how successful he was, but he and many of the writers who've worked with him have, unarguably, made the most sustained attempt to critique Who's entanglement in Whiteness. (Ironically, he hated both the PoC companions he wrote for, citing Roz as a fascist -- not wrong -- and Anji as a Tory -- ditto -- and so did his best to avoid them).

But yeah, a lot of the work written by him and inspired by his stuff was an attempt to grapple with cultural hegemony by durectly targeting Doctor Who continuity, on the logic that the series was inherently compromised thanks to the environment in which it was created (again, not wrong). In that sense, he's similar to Alan Moore, in that he had an anarchist's interests in addressing the formal conventions of the series he was so fascinated with, with an aim to reconstruct texts rather than just deconstruct then. For instance, a lot of his works imply that the Timelords adherence to continuity and the unchanging skein of history ("the web of time") is actually just propaganda. It's a way of cementing their colonisation of the universe, and all their bluster about protecting the universe from collapse is total bullshit destined to maintain their powerbase. It's Manifest Destiny on a universal scale.

Killing the Third Doctor in What Happened on Dust wasn't, IMO, edge for the sake of edge, but an attempt to talk about continuity, narrative, shared worlds, and the way societies create and disrupt history, etc. It was meant to spawn a bunch of really cool things -- a fourth Doctor adaptation of Planet of The Spiders based on Planet of the Apes (literally, "Beneath The Planet Of The Spiders").

He was also visionary, in his own way. This Town Will Never Let Us Go is all about how depressing algorithm generated storytelling is, snd his fear that Hollywood was going to become obsessed with fracnhises and remakes, and it came out in 2003.

Cool guy. A difficult person -- beyond also being a "difficult" person -- and a very angry writer, but also a strong leftist with a belief in challenging the system and standing up for what he believed it.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Miles owns. He wasn't wrong about BF spelling doom for the novels, as sales plummeted during rhe Gary Russel BF era (though he did work for BF on several occasions). He's a fractious dude with mental health issues, but his writing is tight and interesting, and is probably still one of the most influential writers from that period, and he got on with a subset of writers within the range -- many ideas from the RTD and Moffat eras came from him originally. (Moffat's acknowledged the influence, I believe, while RTD has not -- but Miles was the actual guy behind the Time War).

I don't think Miles is edgy so much as a scab picker; a lot of his writing was an attempt to critique qnd address the racial / colonial aspects of Doctor Who. YMMV on how successful he was, but he and many of the writers who've worked with him have, unarguably, made the most sustained attempt to critique Who's entanglement in Whiteness. (Ironically, he hated both the PoC companions he wrote for, citing Roz as a fascist -- not wrong -- and Anji as a Tory -- ditto -- and so did his best to avoid them).

But yeah, a lot of the work written by him and inspired by his stuff was an attempt to grapple with cultural hegemony by durectly targeting Doctor Who continuity, on the logic that the series was inherently compromised thanks to the environment in which it was created (again, not wrong). In that sense, he's similar to Alan Moore, in that he had an anarchist's interests in addressing the formal conventions of the series he was so fascinated with, with an aim to reconstruct texts rather than just deconstruct then. For instance, a lot of his works imply that the Timelords adherence to continuity and the unchanging skein of history ("the web of time") is actually just propaganda. It's a way of cementing their colonisation of the universe, and all their bluster about protecting the universe from collapse is total bullshit destined to maintain their powerbase. It's Manifest Destiny on a universal scale.

Killing the Third Doctor in What Happened on Dust wasn't, IMO, edge for the sake of edge, but an attempt to talk about continuity, narrative, shared worlds, and the way societies create and disrupt history, etc. It was meant to spawn a bunch of really cool things -- a fourth Doctor adaptation of Planet of The Spiders based on Planet of the Apes (literally, "Beneath The Planet Of The Spiders").

He was also visionary, in his own way. This Town Will Never Let Us Go is all about how depressing algorithm generated storytelling is, snd his fear that Hollywood was going to become obsessed with fracnhises and remakes, and it came out in 2003.

Cool guy. A difficult person -- beyond also being a "difficult" person -- and a very angry writer, but also a strong leftist with a belief in challenging the system and standing up for what he believed it.

I will definitely agree with that, I didn't necessarily agree with his approach to DW but I will give him credit for trying to push for something new.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Lord Ludikrous posted:

Well theres this clip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VujXTkjxp0c

The Doctor is spot on and Davros is pretty good though lacking any kind of ring modulation. The daleks dont sound great, but thats probably because they sound like they're yelling into a metal trashcan and the BBC didn't provide different audio tracks for the effects.

Davros ranting in German is :discourse:

I think the case could be made for Miles being a Harlan Ellison figure in DW. Iconoclastic, divisive, but even his haters can't deny his talents and stubborn integrity.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Also the BBC 8th Doctor books basically ran right up until the new series, with the final book, Lance Parkin’s The Gallifrey Chronicles, published in June 2005.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Yeah, the mid to back third of that run is one of Who'a highpoints IMO. Fitz/Anji are the iconic Eighth Doctor TARDIS crew, though I like what some writers did with Sam, and eventually Trix/Tricia.

Liv and Helen have had a pretty good run recently at BF, but the way Helen has historically been treated was very lovely (even ignoring the stuff about her sexuality that leaked).

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
The BBC Eighth Doctor novels are insane.

Luckily Night of the Doctor confirmed Big Finish is the true Eighth Doctor TV canon. :colbert:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

OldMemes posted:

The BBC Eighth Doctor novels are insane.

Luckily Night of the Doctor confirmed Big Finish is the true Eighth Doctor TV canon. :colbert:

The novelisation of Day of the Doctor has Night as a prologue, and mentions Fitz too. That's more canon to me. :colbert:

Sam being temporally engineered to be the perfect companion is a really interesting concept, but yes, Fitz/Anji 4lyfe

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
The Miles/Wood books About Time are an incredible resource on the original run

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

I hated Fitz and Anji. Basically everyone after Sam. Sam was great, especially in the first few books

EdBlackadder
Apr 8, 2009
Lipstick Apathy
I'm slowly working through the EDAs and Fitz is great. I'm actively looking forward to Sam leaving. Speaking of Mad Larry I absolutely adore 'The Book Of The War' which is a delightfully meta take on his version of the EDA Time War.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
Sam feels like a "hello fellow young people" attempt at creating a hip 90s character. The problem with the EDAs is after they abruptly cut off the Faction Paradox stuff, the amnesia stuff dragged on, and on and on, the stories got even more convoluted (the Council of Eight is baffling). It feels like there's large chunks of story that Lance Parkin kept to himself for whatever reason (man is a great writer, but he has a very unique take on the Doctor Who universe).

The Big Finish stuff benefited from not only having McGann there to perform and shape the character, but having clearly structured arcs and stories. I mean, there's missteps like C'Rizz,

The EDAs are basically impossible to reconcile with TV and Big Finish canon, and reflect a very different version of the Doctor Who universe. I really should track down the two I'm missing, so I finally have a finished set. I spent a lot of time in second hand book shops back in the day looking for them.

They also end really anti-climatically, with several plot points unresolved.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
It doesn't really bother me that whatever doesn't fit into canon, I mean, it's Doctor Who. It happened one way and then it happened a different way during one of the half-dozen times the entire universe got rebooted.

My impression of the EDA so far is that there's a bunch of great individual stories and absolutely no cohesiveness between them, which does feel rather appropriate for the Eighth Doctor. Lawrence Miles' books so far have been chock full of amazing concepts... but they're only in his books. Every writer's Eight feels like a different character (and even when you have the Big Finish stuff with McGann playing a consistent Eight, it's an Eight that's inconsistent with every previous version of the character). Lord, what a mess, I love it.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Izzy from the DWM comic is the best non-BF companion for Eight.

(Lucie Miller is the best Eighth Doctor Companion)

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

OldMemes posted:

Sam feels like a "hello fellow young people" attempt at creating a hip 90s character.

Sam owns -- a lot of writers struggled with her, but the ones that got the character (Jim Mortimore, OrmanBlum, Paul Leonard, Lawrence Miles and a handful of others) managed to make her really compelling. A lot of her drama came from her being an activist with a surfeit of idealism, and the stories that push her through that steep learning curve where she has to reconcile her ideals with the world are really strong. I particularly love her arc in Dreamstone Moon / Seeing I, where she travels around the galaxy on her own for a bit

OldMemes posted:

They also end really anti-climatically, with several plot points unresolved.

They don't? There's a plot point that's resolved off page, after the final book is over, but that's just structural trickery. I wouldn't say it's unresolved.

(Which two books are you missing, btw?)

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

OldMemes posted:

The Big Finish stuff benefited from not only having McGann there to perform and shape the character, but having clearly structured arcs and stories. I mean, there's missteps like C'Rizz,

as well as all the goddamn amnesia stuff in the early Eight audios, there was a lot of that

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Had a dream last night where I was playing Joseph Smith in a DW story about him being inspired by aliens and feeling very aggrieved that I had to actually learn lines to be an actor, so if this comes up in the near future I'm a prophet

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
This isn’t Doctor Whose Line Is It Anyway, it’s a scripted show.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Edward Mass posted:

And now, it’s the whole team with the end of show Whodown.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Edward Mass posted:

Narsham posted:

And now, it’s the whole team with the end of show Whodown.

Christ, don't give RTD any more ideas, the one episode he did based off of contemporary UK gameshows was bad enough :argh:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Edward Mass posted:

Little known fact, An Unearthly Child was supposed to have William Hartnell in like 2 scenes playing the custodian of the scrapyard, with only a passing familiarity with Susan who had actually built a little hideout to live there because she was effectively homeless. It was going to be a gritty drama about socio-economic issues in 1960s London, but then Hartnell started wildly improvising and they couldn't afford to stop, recast and refilm so they just went with it. The rest is history.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Christ, don't give RTD any more ideas, the one episode he did based off of contemporary UK gameshows was bad enough :argh:

"Let's end this show, it's rotten and it's bollocks..."

"Even so, it's still better than the Daleks!"

Chorus: "Better than the Daleks!"

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I listed to UNIT: Dominion today and even though I knew the twist going it, that was still a great series. Epic in a way that Big Finish often tries for and fails to pull off. I think it helps that while there is a twist, the story doesn't rely on it and instead keeps telling you and the characters that something is seriously wrong with the situation so the story is more about what are they going to do about it instead of trying to misdirect listeners.

McGann
May 19, 2003

Get up you son of a bitch! 'Cause Mickey loves you!

Random Stranger posted:

I listed to UNIT: Dominion today and even though I knew the twist going it, that was still a great series. Epic in a way that Big Finish often tries for and fails to pull off. I think it helps that while there is a twist, the story doesn't rely on it and instead keeps telling you and the characters that something is seriously wrong with the situation so the story is more about what are they going to do about it instead of trying to misdirect listeners.

Absolutely yes, I will never miss an opportunity to shout this story's fun from the rooftops. It's a regular re-listen for me, because as you said even after the plot is spoiled, it's still a blast and sounds like everyone is having fun recording it.

To me, that's peak Big Finish along with Chimes, Spare Parts, Jubilee, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Really glad to see big finish putting out a download version of Excelis -- the list of things they don't offer as downloads is getting smaller