Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Bizness
Jun 19, 2019

Bug Squash posted:

I think there was someone on staff that was trying to make a point in the first game, since Ryan is a hypocrite who became a Government the instant he wasn't winning at being an industrialist. But in the end Rapture didn't fall because of inherent failure of Objectivism, it fell because plasmids made people mad leaving any kind of point to the story kind of irrelevant.

I think the plasmids themselves are a literalized metaphor for objectivism - a really extreme version of selfishness and unrestrained laissez-faire capitalism to be what they imagine as the best version of themselves. Gone horribly wrong, of course. Instead of Rapture just demolishing social safety nets, corporate laws, and generally being rich selfish assholes they also mod themselves to shoot bees out of their hands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Fangz posted:

People give a lot of credit to the first BioShock because honestly, objectivism is an absolutely stupid philosophy, but yeah, as a critique of objectivism it flounders.

At the end of the day, Ryan actually managed to get Rapture built and functional for a while, which is a drastic contrast to how all these billionaire vision projects go in real life. In a lot of ways, the game actually kinda *likes* Ryan, because it gives him an iconic insightful line ("A man chooses, a slave obeys") and dies on his own terms, while his opponent is a bad monster dude who is mind controlling you.

Yeah but they kinda needed a big twist. I agree with you though.

That game was great, the sequel was ehhhhh, and I never played Infinite, HOWEVER I did buy the bundle last time it was on sale because I think it's worth that price for next time I want to play through it (probably never)

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Man, playing through Minish Cap is wild after discovering the European version I played as a kid was apparently a beta build. I though the 60 bomb max was intentional! We did win on not having Ezlo scream at us when loading the game.

Also it's fun to play around with the rewind and RNG. I'm 100% sure the figurine system just rolls a number between 0-99, compares it to your percentage, and rolls a new figurine if it beats it, cause I've changed the figurine gotten going from 49% to 50%.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
The European version also had a bug where one Kinstone fusion would just become unavailable if you didn't get it before a certain plot point.

I think it was one of the goron tunnel ones, too, it was a real dick move and I'm still mad about it.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I will never get Atlas' "*long exhale* NOICE WORK, BOY-O!" out of my head.

"You'll pay for this ANdrew ROYan!"

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

the underwater art deco dystopia is a cool vibe even if uhh the game is stupid

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

Mister Facetious posted:

Someone talk me out of buying the bioshock trilogy for ~$8, besides the reprehensible both sides-ism views the games take.

You should get Stardew Valley instead and save 50 cents.

https://www.nintendo.com/store/products/stardew-valley-switch/

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

The European version also had a bug where one Kinstone fusion would just become unavailable if you didn't get it before a certain plot point.

I think it was one of the goron tunnel ones, too, it was a real dick move and I'm still mad about it.

Yeah it was one of the farmers whose fusion calls a goron to the tunnel. the bug was that if you started a fusion with him but then backed out and left the area the prompt would never come back again. It was especially nasty because it locked you out of an empty bottle and it would be very easy to trigger the glitch if you started a fusion but then saw you didn't have the right kinstone with you.

The light arrows are still missable but that's on purpose and they're more of a novelty than anything

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I just got Diablo 3 in the sale. I haven’t played this game in literally over a decade, should I just start a new game in Season mode?

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Augus posted:

Yeah it was one of the farmers whose fusion calls a goron to the tunnel. the bug was that if you started a fusion with him but then backed out and left the area the prompt would never come back again. It was especially nasty because it locked you out of an empty bottle and it would be very easy to trigger the glitch if you started a fusion but then saw you didn't have the right kinstone with you.

The light arrows are still missable but that's on purpose and they're more of a novelty than anything

Another funny thing about the Gorons is that to get to their cave for the first time you need to use tornados to lift you up, but the European version is missing one!... except you have enough time to get to the other ledge with one. Imagine if the bottle and Goron merchant were impossible to get because of that.

Also that apparently evey shared fusion (ones that can randomly appear on pairs or trios of NPCs) is available at the start of the game, so if you get them all before Western Woods every other fusion will be with 1 character, making them easier to check.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

glassyalabolas posted:

You should get Stardew Valley instead and save 50 cents.

https://www.nintendo.com/store/products/stardew-valley-switch/

It's not anime enough for me, and the anime ones look like butt

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I just got Diablo 3 in the sale. I haven’t played this game in literally over a decade, should I just start a new game in Season mode?

Yeah season just started Friday a lot of us are playing on switch in the D3 thread

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

Fangz posted:

People give a lot of credit to the first BioShock because honestly, objectivism is an absolutely stupid philosophy, but yeah, as a critique of objectivism it flounders.

At the end of the day, Ryan actually managed to get Rapture built and functional for a while, which is a drastic contrast to how all these billionaire vision projects go in real life. In a lot of ways, the game actually kinda *likes* Ryan, because it gives him an iconic insightful line ("A man chooses, a slave obeys") and dies on his own terms, while his opponent is a bad monster dude who is mind controlling you.

It's an industry wide issue, writing just isn't very good in video games. It's baffling because as a species we have had good writing for millennia

How many games have an interesting and unique setup and simply fail to deliver anything meaningful? Pretty much all of them, so I just focus on the shooting and blasting instead

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
there were games with good writing which existed before Bioshock

the funniest answer to the whole "are games art" poo poo that happened around that time were people whose answer was apparently "games were not art until Bioshock was released, then they became art after that"

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Well those people are idiots because video games have clearly been art since day zero. Still I wish writing was a bit tighter in my favorite video games

In my opinion the only ones that approximate good (not great) writing are basically books with a video game interface layered on top aka visual novels

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

KingSlime posted:

Well those people are idiots because video games have clearly been art since day zero. Still I wish writing was a bit tighter in my favorite video games

In my opinion the only ones that approximate good (not great) writing are basically books with a video game interface layered on top aka visual novels

Those Sam Barlow FMV games have pretty good storytelling, especially Immortality, but those are basically movies rather than books

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
you can play disco elysium on the nintendo switch if you're so inclined

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Looking at screenshots that looks like a lot of tiny dense text. Nah gonna read a book instead

Jk it's on my wishlist but I do have bad eyes so I'm thinking handheld is a bad route for me. I'll get around to it at some point though.

Does DE have text size options?

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
You know what would be cool Switch thread? A Resident Evil collection of the original versions of RE1, RE2 & RE3. Maybe throw in Dino Crisis and DC2 while they're at it.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

you can play disco elysium on the nintendo switch if you're so inclined

Not an empty-quote.

Do this. Not only is the writing great, but it also has the best voice-acting I've ever seen in a game and is definitely among the top 5 for voice-acting in general which is a tall order considering the depth of the profession, but this game is no joke.

KingSlime posted:

Looking at screenshots that looks like a lot of tiny dense text. Nah gonna read a book instead

Jk it's on my wishlist but I do have bad eyes so I'm thinking handheld is a bad route for me. I'll get around to it at some point though.

Does DE have text size options?

PERFECT. Every line is pretty much read out loud anyway and you won't want to skip it they are so good. Like I'm super critical about voice-acting in games and generally hate it, but Disco Elysium proves just how good it should always be. It's so nuanced and good.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Oh dope I didn't realize it was voice acted, that's really good to hear!

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
It's got three options for text sizes and a very special companion that understands the heartache of growing up with poor eyesight

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Lmao with savestates/rewinds you can turn 10 rupees into 999 with the chest minigame. Money is meaningless, and by extension seashells even if 30 for 200 rupees is a fraud.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

Lmao with savestates/rewinds you can turn 10 rupees into 999 with the chest minigame. Money is meaningless, and by extension seashells even if 30 for 200 rupees is a fraud.

Ok

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Takes for goddamn ever to grind though

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

I generally try to play games in thier intended form, except nes ones those are for 8 year olds with too much time on thier hand

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

External Organs posted:

Yeah season just started Friday a lot of us are playing on switch in the D3 thread

Cool!

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

mandatory lesbian posted:

I generally try to play games in thier intended form, except nes ones those are for 8 year olds with too much time on thier hand

I beat this game like 5 times as a kid, I'm just gonna enjoy my nostalgia.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I just steal the bow and shovel

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

THIEF posted:

I could never deal with the consequences of that.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

hatty posted:

:shopkeeper:

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
ezlo is so cute, i never understood the complaints about him

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
the way he stomps on link's head while casting the shrinking magic :3:

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
Just played through that on the Switch and Ezlo was far and away the best part of the game. I hope TotK brings back the Minish.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Yates posted:

Just got a Switch Lite. All I have now is Hades because I needed something to play and always wanted to play it. It's fun but a little small on the screen. I have a PS5 and PC so I can play most games I want, what Nintendo things should I be playing with my Switch? Is BotW good on a Switch Lite?

Nintendo things: Metroid Dread

Other things if you don't have on PS5/PC already: Transistor, Streets of Rage 4

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

External Organs posted:

How well does it run, though. Maybe being portable and/or potent would make it a fun side game.

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"

widespread posted:

How well does it run, though. Maybe being portable and/or potent would make it a fun side game.

similar question, how is d2 resurrected. thinking about getting one or the other

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

KingSlime posted:

Oh dope I didn't realize it was voice acted, that's really good to hear!

Oh yeah, if you do get it, you'll be in for a treat. It's hard to believe the cast were amateurs, especially the main characters.

I tend to turn off voices when playing or put them in languages I don't understand and skip them anyway as I read the text far faster, but I would seriously just listen to the lines being played out in Disco Elysium. I think Hades is probably the next best thing I've heard, as are most Supergiant productions, and those are still a far second. I would not hesitate to put DE up there with the best animated works.

There's an interview with the main voice actor who does the narration and all the psyche's that's really fascinating because it feels so amateur but they nailed it. There's some minor spoiler's in it, but nothing terribly shocking.

Just considering how much he spoke and how he was supposed to represent all these facets of the protagonists, it's incredible that each one comes off with its own personality. Obviously, the writing is incredibly important in managing this but you hear him doing very subtle differences that gives each psyche its own feel and there's 24 of them not counting the narrator itself. I never understood why James McAvoy ever got any credit for hamming it up in Split, to be the different personalities, DE does it so much more subtly and it's incredibly effective and so much better. It's similar to how the cast in Everything, Everywhere, All at Once) pulled off being their parallel universe selves with subtlety and nuance remaining both the same and yet distinct characters.