Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

elpaganoescapa
Aug 13, 2014
I hope we eventually get to Volantis. Maybe in the next saga.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kurona_bright
Mar 21, 2013

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Ana and Elsie have also not aged a day since they met

Ana and Elsie actually grew up together though before the Collapse happened. Ana doesn't remember it obviously, but Elsie does.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

kurona_bright posted:

Ana and Elsie actually grew up together though before the Collapse happened. Ana doesn't remember it obviously, but Elsie does.

Guardian Ana is not the person Elsie grew up with

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
not only that, but Elsie has met like half a dozen different Guardian Anas

life_source
May 11, 2008

i got tired of looking at your edgy baby avatar that a 14-year old would be proud of
Including at least one who murked her if I am recalling the lore correctly.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

I’m catching up on lore atm and just read that bit, ALL the Anas in failed timelines went evil

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
This timeline is very hosed up, but in a good way. The one consistent thing, I think, across every iteration, is that you shouldn't ship the sisters you loving weirdos. This game gets anime enough already.

Anyway, two and a bit days til the new season, I'm pumped. We got spiderstrand happening, whole lot of QoL happening, we have match game removed and a sensible system put in place that people are being dumb freaking out about (classic), seasonal mods are now perks and basically a skill tree, that rules.

Looking forward to when they let us set up seasonal perks in loadouts, that'll be even better. I really hope the enhancing of Adept weapons go well and they roll it out to all weapons. Come on, you're nerfing Veist Stinger, least you could do is double the return on my Funnelweb's Subsistence, heh.

Panderfringe
Sep 12, 2011

yospos

elpaganoescapa posted:

I hope we eventually get to Volantis. Maybe in the next saga.

That is the singular but of lore in beyond light that made me actually annoyed to read about but never experience.

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

abraham linksys posted:

i do sometimes think people underestimate the ability of people to complete objectives when the game is clear enough about them. ff14 has a matchmaking pool of like 60+ instances that all have slightly different stuff going on and everything is role-based and yet i feel like i can count on one hand the number of times ive had to straight up abandon a dungeon because someone wasn't doing their poo poo

that said: destiny dungeons/raids i think could never really be matchmaking friendly because of how necessary voice chat and callouts are; that's not how ff14 instances work outside of endgame. you definitely have to play a role and nail your mechanics but you do not have to do any real communication. i do think experimenting with harder matchmade content is great, though - i convinced a friend to come play the witch queen free weekend and plunk down ten bucks for seraph and he was super impressed at the heist battlegrounds, it's really the missing "heroic" difficulty in a lot of ways

FF14 is a bad example, because people lose their minds all the time if the loving dps or whatever is doing whatever the latest meta rotation is.
If anything, Bungie has eyes on this and is learning and applying lessons.

Lexorin
Jul 5, 2000

They should just add a checkbox to everything and let you decide if you want to solo a strike, co-op a seasonal thing, or raid with 5 randos.

Also, it struck me that the dead exo rasputin sorta looks like jesus when you first walk in the door.

RocketRaygun
Nov 7, 2015

I don't think they could matchmake hard content like dungeons and raids. I was talking to a friend the other day who was dipping his toes back into Destiny, and talked about how he never would have figured out how to blow up the gunk in the Mars battleground after raising the towers if he wasn't shown how to do it. The game didn't explain anything, it just expected him to know. He was in a matchmade heist bg, and they all got stuck there for a bit.

Dungeons and Raids are that on steroids. The developers of this game trust you to figure it out, and if you can't, they trust other players to explain it to you. You have neither of those guaranteed in a matchmade raid or dungeon. You'd get so many people who either get carried or fail out... and a lot of people unhappy with either experience.

Tensokuu
May 21, 2010

Somehow, the boy just isn't very buoyant.
I meant to play a lot more this season than I did. I think I finished the season under rank 10 which sucks because I kinda wanted the armor. Doesn’t help my internet has been out for days now so I’m just kinda screwed. Ah well.

Sounds like I might just hang up my Titan boots in Lightfall because Warlock strand sounds so much better. It sucks because in my brain my Titan is the main character and he looks and sounds perfect — I think last time I took off my warlocks helmet he was a tall ginger dude with glowingly white skin. So that’s never coming off again.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I am excited to punch green alongside punching blue and orange and purple and other blue

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005

Lexorin posted:

They should just add a checkbox to everything and let you decide if you want to solo a strike, co-op a seasonal thing, or raid with 5 randos.

Also, it struck me that the dead exo rasputin sorta looks like jesus when you first walk in the door.

He doesn't look a thing like Jesus, but he talks like a gentleman. Like you imagined when you were a new light.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

He should have never switched off speaking Russian

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

PERMACAV 50 posted:

Drifter is a guardian, he’s just older than classes and he hosed up his ghost so you never see it

Why would he gently caress his ghost? I didn’t see that in the lore.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

RocketRaygun posted:

I don't think they could matchmake hard content like dungeons and raids. I was talking to a friend the other day who was dipping his toes back into Destiny, and talked about how he never would have figured out how to blow up the gunk in the Mars battleground after raising the towers if he wasn't shown how to do it. The game didn't explain anything, it just expected him to know. He was in a matchmade heist bg, and they all got stuck there for a bit.

Dungeons and Raids are that on steroids. The developers of this game trust you to figure it out, and if you can't, they trust other players to explain it to you. You have neither of those guaranteed in a matchmade raid or dungeon. You'd get so many people who either get carried or fail out... and a lot of people unhappy with either experience.

They could just explain the mechanics

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

RBX posted:

They could just explain the mechanics

don't be a baby

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
Played this today for the first time in forever. I immediately jumped into a story mission where Rasputin (who is an Exo now I guess) blows up himself and all the space lasers so it doesn't shoot the Traveler as it tries to leave Earth for some reason, which is bad because some Triangles are coming!

I have no idea what's going on but that mission was really fun (and hard, I probably wasn't supposed to do it alone) and I'm excited to do more.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
I picked up Destiny 2 from the ps+ store a week or so ago?

Man... this game is wiiiildly obscure. I've basically got no loving idea what I'm doing at all times, beyond shooting people and not getting shot.

The gameplay is extremely fun. I am a Halo dude from waaaaay back, and I'm starting to figure out the loot system.

I think I will pick up the new expansion so I can get in on the ground floor of an expansion.

Anyway, is there anything I should know that is important but not immediately obvious about playing the game Destiny 2?

Schneider Inside Her fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Feb 26, 2023

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Schneider Inside Her posted:

Anyway, is there anything I should know that is important but not immediately obvious about playing the game Destiny 2?

NGL but maybe start over with the new expansion. It’s supposed to significantly improve the new player experience.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

A lot of stuff in the game at this point is tribal knowledge and is never directly explained. There's nothing in game that explains the armor mod system for instance, but you don't need to worry about that as it's all changing on Tuesday anyway.

Or Xur showing up in odd places each weekend to sell you random exotics for legendary shards. This weekend he's up in the big tree in Watcher's Grave on Nessus.

Each lost sector needs to be completed once on normal before you get the option to do it on legend/master difficulty, and this is per-character. Only one lost sector is available each day for higher difficulty, and completing it gives you a chance of getting exotic armor for a specific slot. It will prioritize giving you armors you don't have yet.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Basic Poster posted:

Bungie is great at matchmaking. How are we not addressing that Anna Bray and The Stranger are now a couple.

Sounds like some fanfiction dot net stuff to be honest OP.

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.

Bleck posted:

Played this today for the first time in forever. I immediately jumped into a story mission where Rasputin (who is an Exo now I guess) blows up himself and all the space lasers so it doesn't shoot the Traveler as it tries to leave Earth for some reason, which is bad because some Triangles are coming!

I have no idea what's going on but that mission was really fun (and hard, I probably wasn't supposed to do it alone) and I'm excited to do more.

Same, only I did a mission on Mars where I shot myself out of a cannon onto Savathun's ship. I have no idea what's going on, whether this is the prelude to the new expansion or this is old content. However I masterworked my Huckleberry during the mission so :getin:

edit: I quickly skimmed the wikis to get myself up to date since the start of Beyond Light and wtf

Fragrag fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Feb 26, 2023

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I picked up Destiny 2 from the ps+ store a week or so ago?

Man... this game is wiiiildly obscure. I've basically got no loving idea what I'm doing at all times, beyond shooting people and not getting shot.

The gameplay is extremely fun. I am a Halo dude from waaaaay back, and I'm starting to figure out the loot system.

I think I will pick up the new expansion so I can get in on the ground floor of an expansion.

join the Overchill discord and group up for everything

like it says on the tin, goons there are chill, and everything in this game is easier and more fun with extra people

otherwise, don't sweat learning every little thing, just enjoy the shoot and the loot

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
few, flawless king's fall done

what a ball buster that one was, cause it starts with a super long and slow section, but is also jumping (the ships) so there's still a lot of gently caress ups, then easy going until the dickwall which is the run killer, allllll the way near the end. Then sisters and oryx are pretty free, but jeez.

pro tip, you can spam sword swings into the walls and climb up, even with no ammo. This lets you basically skip most of it.

now to see if I can get flawless VoG and VoW done tomorrow

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman

victrix posted:

join the Overchill discord and group up for everything

like it says on the tin, goons there are chill, and everything in this game is easier and more fun with extra people

otherwise, don't sweat learning every little thing, just enjoy the shoot and the loot

Ok I'll do that. Are there many Australian goons?

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
Is there any hope in grabbing one more ascendant alloy to masterwork this osteo striga before WQ becomes not free again? I have plunder and seraph, but don't have the ranks with fynch to do legendary WQ missions or master wellsprings. Are they available in the non-season nightmare containment chests? Heists?

e: already bought rahool's as well obviously

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

acumen posted:

Is there any hope in grabbing one more ascendant alloy to masterwork this osteo striga before WQ becomes not free again? I have plunder and seraph, but don't have the ranks with fynch to do legendary WQ missions or master wellsprings. Are they available in the non-season nightmare containment chests? Heists?

e: already bought rahool's as well obviously

I got one from a legend heist tonight, but I don’t know what the drop rate is.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Be sure to check out DIM - it's a fan-made app that uses an official API to making inventory & vault (bank) management immensely more user-friendly.

Fragrag posted:

Same, only I did a mission on Mars where I shot myself out of a cannon onto Savathun's ship. I have no idea what's going on, whether this is the prelude to the new expansion or this is old content. However I masterworked my Huckleberry during the mission so :getin:

edit: I quickly skimmed the wikis to get myself up to date since the start of Beyond Light and wtf
That would be first mission of Witch Queen - there's basically a free portion of that campaign that acts as a demo/lets players unlock the crafting feature and access to the destination.

The Rasputin thing Bleck mentioned is the prelude to the next expansion.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Collateral Damage posted:

Each lost sector needs to be completed once on normal before you get the option to do it on legend/master difficulty, and this is per-character. Only one lost sector is available each day for higher difficulty, and completing it gives you a chance of getting exotic armor for a specific slot. It will prioritize giving you armors you don't have yet.

I've been getting back into the game (finally finished Beyond Light campaign kinda, it's now telling me to see Variks for post-campaign missions) and this is very new to me. How do I find the daily lost sector for doing this, is there some way of knowing which one on which planet it is? Or is it just whatever lost sector you choose to do on the higher difficulty and that gets locked-in for the day if you complete on the higher difficulty?

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

SUNKOS posted:

I've been getting back into the game (finally finished Beyond Light campaign kinda, it's now telling me to see Variks for post-campaign missions) and this is very new to me. How do I find the daily lost sector for doing this, is there some way of knowing which one on which planet it is? Or is it just whatever lost sector you choose to do on the higher difficulty and that gets locked-in for the day if you complete on the higher difficulty?

Once you do all the lost sectors on normal you'll see it on the planet that it's active's map.

https://www.light.gg/

Or you can use light gg. There is a tab there under Ada-1 that is the daily lost sector and potential rewards. Today, sunday the 26th is Bunker E15. The easiest lost sector in Destiny.

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

focus this time so i don't have to keep telling you idiots what happened
Lipstick Apathy

Go to Xur, at Watcher’s Grave on Nessus. When you load in there’s a giant tree like 200 yards in front of you. Xur is in a branch of that tree. There’s probably a pile of sparrows where you need to start your jump up. There’s probably one or more random player names on the branch, that’s where you’re headed.

Buy the Nezarec’s Sin and Lucky Pants. It doesn’t matter if you don’t have a hunter or warlock, or ever plan to play them.

It takes maybe 46 legendary shards to buy these 2 things, which you get 3 of from dismantling a piece of purple gear. If I was new and had not a lot of good gear I would grind activities (whatever you’re fast at and enjoy, crucible quick play, vanguard ops, lost sectors, whatever) and dismantle all my purple gear to afford these two armor pieces. Lock them, throw them in the vault. Your future self will thank you.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
on one hand, that's good advice. otoh, i think it's very funny when most people are like "hey i'm new to destiny what should i be doing" and they still don't even have certain kinds of guns and are just getting big number up and everyones like "ok first off, theres a god roll you can buy from banshee today, second you gotta go to xur and get this exotic armor and then build your whole subclass around it, have you stacked to tier 9 resilience yet??"

i've got a couple friends who i've been last minute season of the seraph stuff with who haven't played since d2 launch (they are gonna get lightfall and figured they'd plunk down $20 for the witch queen deluxe when it was on sale last week and try to see some season stuff before it goes away) and it's like... yeah just don't worry about these red borders right now, or this focusing system, just have fun doing the content. i think one of my friends still just dismantles every gun he "doesn't like the look of" without looking to see if it's a god roll or anything, which both terrifies me and owns (i mean the alternative is my vault full of poo poo i'm going to be running the destiny recipes vault cleaner on since god knows whether any of it's good)

i will say anyone coming in who is coming in fresh should do the riskrunner quest (https://www.sportskeeda.com/esports/destiny-2-spark-hope-guide-how-get-riskrunner-exotic-smg) since it gives you something specific to do and results in a really great gun that is, like, very iconic b/c it's like the one exotic you'd get from the base d2 campaign

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

SUNKOS posted:

It's a rotating list of lost sectors (and not all of them is in the list every season) that changes daily. You can either click around on the Director until you find it, which is made difficult because it won't show unless you have access to it (Bungieeee! :argh:). Or you can look at a site like todayindestiny.com or bray.tech under the Weeklies heading.

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
I mean I can see both sides. My general advice in this very thread for cramming at the end of a season is “don’t, just shoot guns and enjoy the game for a bit.” However, speaking for myself knowing what I know now about exotic rolls I’d want someone to have told me how to get those two and it’s not even much of a reach to farm up like 15 purple gear pieces to set yourself up for a nice devour build and general neutral hand cannon thing with the bonus of a sweet resilience stat on hunter. You’ll eventually get these two armor pieces just from weekly xur, but if you are ever wanting to make armor sets I’d rather have some spike-statted ones.

Both sides are valid imo, just pointing out a time-limited thing to work on for the next 24 hours.

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

SUNKOS posted:

In 9 minutes it switches to Sepulcher (Florescent Canals, Throne World), and that’s the last one until the season changes.

The website below gives dates. You have to read it as “after daily reset on DATE, the lost sector will be _____” not “when it changes to DATE…”

https://www.shacknews.com/article/121629/legend-master-lost-sector-schedule-and-rotation-destiny-2

neutral milf hotel
Oct 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
fwiw I'm a lame casual player of the game who doesn't dig too deep into the best weapons or min-maxing gameplay

but for new players this article has a good list of external game resources
https://www.forbes.com/sites/paultassi/2022/10/11/the-destiny-2-third-party-tools-that-will-make-the-game-a-million-times-better/

I follow the article author, Paul Tassi, on twitter since he has some good takes on the state of the game, and sometimes shittalks the dumb stuff

I also like watching Mactics' youtube videos since he has great builds with an incredible knowledge of game mechanics. he usually links to DIM buildouts of his builds that you can download and test out

RocketRaygun
Nov 7, 2015

Ok I'll do that. Are there many Australian goons?

we have quite a few! one of our mods is Australian!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Bleck posted:

Actually, missions with the Legendary modifier scale up and become harder when you add more guardians. Although Bungie is tweaking that to be less punishing in Lightfall.

If you enjoyed that level of difficulty, the Lightfall legendary campaign will probably tickle your fancy when it comes out.

Yeah like another poster said, they'll be adding Guardian Ranks when the new expansion comes out next Tuesday which will make the new player experience much less obfuscating, hopefully.