Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

docbeard posted:

Trinivale

They also did a one-shot episode on April 23, 2021 in which Jens goes on a quest to find an engagement ring for his new fiancé that I would highly recommend. docbeard's right about the Triplets finding their voice about 3/4 into the actual campaign, but that one shot is where they perfectly fine-tuned it imo. It's absolutely lousy with Friends references and Onyx insanity. Well worth a listen, even if you decide not to listen to the full Trinivale campaign.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

docbeard posted:

"A little bit rough" is probably the best way to describe its start, but It's always pretty fun (and funny). Don't expect (much) high drama the way the main campaigns sometimes deliver, but expect a lot of them goofing around and taking (light-hearted) advantage of Caldwell's very generous nature as a (new) DM. I'd say about 3/4ths of the way in is when the Triplets find their true calling as shithead grifter villains (while trying to get out from under the thumb of an even worse villain)

This has always been my thoughts on it. I think they started Trinyvale as an actual, serious campaign but when they seemed to realize very shortly in that it was more of a goof-off game it really took off. Their living situation, how Emily's character gets her power, Jake's Obsidian voice, it just gets more and more ridiculous and that's where the entertainment comes from for me.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I'm trying to decide on a single thing that summarizes what the triplets' deal is, and if I had to pick just one, I'd pick the fact that they have a teleportation stone but only use it to go to the airport

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

seaborgium posted:

This has always been my thoughts on it. I think they started Trinyvale as an actual, serious campaign but when they seemed to realize very shortly in that it was more of a goof-off game it really took off. Their living situation, how Emily's character gets her power, Jake's Obsidian voice, it just gets more and more ridiculous and that's where the entertainment comes from for me.

I think what I love so much about Trinyvale in the end is that it's so obvious how much fun they're all having with it. Like I don't think they're ever not enjoying themselves, but there's so much sheer joy in the way they play (and DM for) the Triplets.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Well hot boy summer was hilarious so something less serious like that sounds fantastic

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!
Trinyvale's first three episodes being video live streamed probably informed its fuckaround tone too.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Weird Pumpkin posted:

Well hot boy summer was hilarious so something less serious like that sounds fantastic

it's a deeply lighthearted campaign where the players fully become bad guys by the end (but in a fun, always sunny kind of way), it's great, and I think they return to it just infrequently enough that it's a delight every time.

The first few episodes aren't bad really, it just takes a few episodes for the party to find their group dynamic; once they do, it's off to the drat races.

I still think one of my biggest laughs of the cast comes from trinyvale; i forget the specifics, but they've done a favor for some townsfolk, and the innkeeper offers them anything they want as a reward, and emily without missing a beat just says "I'll have...seven beers"

such a petty little shithead thing to do, it was perfect

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Ainsley McTree posted:

I'm trying to decide on a single thing that summarizes what the triplets' deal is, and if I had to pick just one, I'd pick the fact that they have a teleportation stone but only use it to go to the airport

That one is really good, but my favorite is whenever someone, usually Murph, has to clarify that the triplets aren’t cool with killing kids or doing actually evil poo poo over just being rude greedy rear end in a top hat poo poo. Because apparently, not being child murderers is a moral bar that the triplets just barely clears.

Or the fact that they mentally broke Sonic the Hedgehog.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Also my favorite joke and one I constantly come back to is in the sonic two-parter where robotnik has commoner stats and the gimmick of his fight is that he has a bunch of armor and has trapped the triplets in a bubble, only for them all to get out and Nyaack hits him with one attack and brutally murders him. The subsequent scene with the triplets all freaking out that he murdered a man and promptly throwing Nyaack under the bus - “I didn’t mean to kill a commoner! A man of science! A scientist!”, only for Nyaack to immediately summon a jam copy of himself and accuse that jam copy of doing the crime, only for Jens to roll a nat 20 in deception such that literally everyone including the jam copy itself believes it murdered Robotnik.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

I think it was Emily who observed that saying "gently caress this" and teleporting out of the BBEG encounter to stab an unarmed man is extremely the Triplets' vibe

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Go to their instagram if you want to see some skanking

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
I got a good laugh about Jens story about the time irl Murph wasn't allowed into DTLA Library Bar.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

this m&ms mixed bag really makes me wonder what it's like to be murph and be married to emily axford, a person who is insane

An Taoiseach
Mar 23, 2008

World's Strongest Love
The current mini arc made me go back to other Trinyvale content, and don't sleep on the live epispde from Chicago where the triplets enter a dog and pony show, to become the face of dogurt, the yogurt for dogs and ponies

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

The teeth cereal from this week's short rest was viscerally upsetting.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

kidcoelacanth posted:

this m&ms mixed bag really makes me wonder what it's like to be murph and be married to emily axford, a person who is insane

I wonder how many things he's privately thought "I just need to plough right past this and not stop and examine it", because it defintiely seems like a thing he's used to doing even if just in his comedy career with Emily.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

It’s weird because he’s deeply and obviously madly in love with his insane wife, like for a professional grump like him it’s maybe the one time he’s openly and without reservation happy on-camera is when Emily does something that’s really reflective of her personality ( I’m reminded of the times on Dimension 20 when Emily does something that is only accessible to her own internal logic - Fig had a bunch of those, like Hilda Hilda or that hospital drama she accidentally became a part of). It very clearly makes him happy when she does insane poo poo like that, like you can see him visibly relaxing and just admiring her. It’s very sweet. I also don’t think it’s a coincidence that when he and Emily are playing characters as opposed to one dming the other, he often plays characters who end up directly supporting her as one of their priorities (I’m thinking about how Riz immediately went with her on her hospital drama adventure and silently ensured she didn’t die, or how Riz goes with Fig to hell in season 2, and a lot has been made about the sexy rat fiasco but what’s most notable is how he immediately decides to play a literal rat in the very next season of dimension 20) and she in turn will often do her weirdest poo poo whenever his character(s) are threatened, like “I disguise myself as him”. I don’t want to be some weird internet psychoanalyst, but it’s very sweet how a lot of their dynamic and actual relationship as people married to each other can be seen when they’re both roleplaying together, especially in an on-camera environment like dimension 20.

Anyways here’s a bunch of videos I have to prove my point or for reference in case you don’t watch D20 (which you definitely should if you’re a fan of what Murph and Emily do on naddpod). Take special note of how Murph reacts whenever Emily does something insane. He loves his crazy wife.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BXGIOCqjTs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFMdwpGdY64

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8beyFGjh79c

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDap5gIPHZw

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Their vibe is interesting because he's both clearly in love with her crazy energy and also calls her out/ teases her about it.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
if you havent watched Hot Date the tv show you should

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

NieR Occomata posted:

He loves his crazy wife.

Oh he definitely does, but it seems like he's used to situations professionally where Emily says something buckwild and he just has to tell the room "listen, I know that sounds like something that begs for examination but we're on a schedule here and we cannot afford that, because it'll just suck us all into a weird time sink that'll eat up the day so please, for all our sakes, just let it go and let's just keep doing what we set out to do". I'm sure he's had some loving fascinating times when they're at home doing something mundane and she's said that kind of wild poo poo where they can afford to drill down into the silliness of the connections her mind has made, but he appears to be used to it and know "no, this isn't worth it; we cannot afford this" in a professional capacity, where it seems like Jake and Caldwell would be willing to jump after whatever she's dangling and get thrown completely off plan because of it.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

NieR Occomata posted:

It’s weird because he’s deeply and obviously madly in love with his insane wife, like for a professional grump like him it’s maybe the one time he’s openly and without reservation happy on-camera is when Emily does something that’s really reflective of her personality ( I’m reminded of the times on Dimension 20 when Emily does something that is only accessible to her own internal logic - Fig had a bunch of those, like Hilda Hilda or that hospital drama she accidentally became a part of). It very clearly makes him happy when she does insane poo poo like that, like you can see him visibly relaxing and just admiring her. It’s very sweet. I also don’t think it’s a coincidence that when he and Emily are playing characters as opposed to one dming the other, he often plays characters who end up directly supporting her as one of their priorities (I’m thinking about how Riz immediately went with her on her hospital drama adventure and silently ensured she didn’t die, or how Riz goes with Fig to hell in season 2, and a lot has been made about the sexy rat fiasco but what’s most notable is how he immediately decides to play a literal rat in the very next season of dimension 20) and she in turn will often do her weirdest poo poo whenever his character(s) are threatened, like “I disguise myself as him”. I don’t want to be some weird internet psychoanalyst, but it’s very sweet how a lot of their dynamic and actual relationship as people married to each other can be seen when they’re both roleplaying together, especially in an on-camera environment like dimension 20.

There was some weird twitter thing a while back where someone was running a tournament of fictional wife guys, and somehow Murph kept winning even though he's not fictional. Just kept getting voted as coolest wife guy somehow. Don't remember if he won or not, but it was pretty funny at the time.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

seaborgium posted:

There was some weird twitter thing a while back where someone was running a tournament of fictional wife guys, and somehow Murph kept winning even though he's not fictional. Just kept getting voted as coolest wife guy somehow. Don't remember if he won or not, but it was pretty funny at the time.

He won

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Who was actually in the poll, out of interest? I wonder if Murph ever used winning that for brownie points?

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

i don't think the guy who has talked about not using twitter for at least two years cares about a weird poll, no

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Life, it's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.
Pillbug
Just went to the Perth live show and it was a donkey kong survivor one shot. Really good poo poo but makes me sad thinking of all the good live show content that hasn't been released.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Abongination posted:

Just went to the Perth live show and it was a donkey kong survivor one shot. Really good poo poo but makes me sad thinking of all the good live show content that hasn't been released.

I did just subscribe to the $10 tier and a bunch of live shows are in there as mixed bags, though surely not all of them. They've all been very loose and fun, well worth listening to.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

They did donkey Kong survivor again? That’s a real bummer to be honest.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

Abongination posted:

Last I saw there's usually bootleg in the discord for each live show, though obviously when they release it on the Patreon it's way better quality.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

NieR Occomata posted:

They did donkey Kong survivor again? That’s a real bummer to be honest.

Is it? I suppose in a way I can see how it's like realizing as a teen that the vast majority of (successful) stand up comics tell a lot of the same jokes night to night across a given tour, refining them as they progress and only record them near the end of the tour but at the same time when some of the scenarios that they game are so interesting I know I'd want to run some of them multiple times to see what happens if Moonshine saves X character instead of killing them, or Bev actually makes Y prank work at the start instead of failing due to lovely roles or what have you. It'd be disappointing if it was scripted and played out identically, but if it's just the same situation and they improv new material inside that restriction then I don't think it's disappointing personally.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I think it's fine imo. I feel like they hit a lot of cities on this tour, so going back to the same well for a few of them seems fair enough, especially since the improvised nature means it'll never be the same show twice, just the same loose premise.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Yeah I mean if they put it up I’ll listen and be happy, but imagine like…I dunno, a donkey Kong hunger games or running man. Donkey Kong Squid Game. I feel like there’s just such a rich well for Funky Kong being a libertarian shithead who fucks up the band of boobs in some way.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

NieR Occomata posted:

Yeah I mean if they put it up I’ll listen and be happy, but imagine like…I dunno, a donkey Kong hunger games or running man. Donkey Kong Squid Game. I feel like there’s just such a rich well for Funky Kong being a libertarian shithead who fucks up the band of boobs in some way.

I do like the idea of every single one of them being flavored as a different Battle Royale round-by-round elimination game but other than the name Murph does not once touch his notes between shows

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

timp posted:

I do like the idea of every single one of them being flavored as a different Battle Royale round-by-round elimination game but other than the name Murph does not once touch his notes between shows

I imagine there's some functional reason they've struck on Survivor as the game show go to, be it that they can assume more people are familiar with it than others, that the rules are simple to explain and not too convoluted to play through while improving around them in fun ways or what have you.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

tsob posted:

I imagine there's some functional reason they've struck on Survivor as the game show go to, be it that they can assume more people are familiar with it than others, that the rules are simple to explain and not too convoluted to play through while improving around them in fun ways or what have you.

survivor’s structure is:

social encounter
game encounter
vote off
repeat

so its exceptionally well-suited to reskinning to d&d compared to other reality shows

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Consider though, what if it was a chopped episode

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

Gaius Marius posted:

Consider though, what if it was a chopped episode

Didn't they do that at one point? I remember an episode where they had to cook to beat some enemy.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

seaborgium posted:

Didn't they do that at one point? I remember an episode where they had to cook to beat some enemy.

I think there was a cooking challenge of some sort at some point in trinyvale (the phrase "cooking maw maw" is leaping to the front of my brain but I can't remember if they called it that)

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Life, it's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.
Pillbug
They def didn't frame it as the first time they'd done it. Said this was like season 4 and a good vs evil team thing where it turned out the boobs were evil for dismantling kong society.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

If it makes the thread feel any better I saw them the night before the Perth show (in Adelaide) and the Triplets were trying to get a license of destiny so they could drive to the Friends Festival. Very funny stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

good ep today

was a bit worried about leaning too hard into campaign 1 but i think this works really well, plus given the timing and locations of the players right now it makes a lot of sense and doesn't feel like it was pulled out of nowhere. also poor murph cannot catch a break.