Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Lemming posted:

I'm not saying melee is the only way to satisfy that urge, but I think when people are asking for melee it's a symptom of feeling like something is missing, and my guess as to what is missing is that physical connection, which is only emphasized in Alyx in a few specific parts. Again, it's all part of why Jeff was the best part of the game by far, because you were doing more of those interesting things and were able to develop a much stronger connection to the environment and game as a result

it's the best part of any VR game maybe, and it there is not melee combat, this is astonishing.
The only reason is because of nostalgia for Half Life, being Gordon, and having the crowbar. That's the reason. The name of a different person is in the title, and they made it clear that melee was not a focus one bit, but that's not enough. Hell it's not even the focus in the half life games it's a loving backup and used infrequently to... bash wooden beams or... break vents open

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I've got some news for you if you sincerely think developers don't heavily reuse their asset libraries for new projects.

:aaaaa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Neddy, you were always one of my favourite SS13 AIs and what you're saying here makes sense.

I think that's all fair, Alyx in many ways set VR back, but we're not getting that killer game/app/whatever that will set things forward.

I don't think that's necessarily true, just because PSVR2 exists and we're suddenly seeing a bunch of new titles pop into existence. Porting flatscreen games is a massive boon to VR, and something that I really hope becomes a larger trend, because they're great stepping-stones for developers to learn how to translate mechanics and just gameplay in general while starting from what they already know. I agree there isn't a killer app right now, but I think we're in a place we might see one come into existence in the next few years through PSVR2.

And, no, you still can't have a space suit, get back to mopping!

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I finally got around to playing Demeo, two of us played together for the first time and holy poo poo that was fun. This is what tabletop simulator anything should be like. I also dig the basement and old school D&D art design.

Already planning a 4 player game with a couple nephews.

Re: Alyx this is maybe not going to sound like much but I really liked the dark, flashlight-lit creeping past/around barnacles spots. That really did feel like I was actually doing the thing it represented, shuffling around with perfect 1:1 tracking, it was highly effective and super creepy to me.

The ending also really succeeded in making me, the player, actually feel super powerful.

The Eyes Have It fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Feb 26, 2023

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I don't think that's necessarily true, just because PSVR2 exists and we're suddenly seeing a bunch of new titles pop into existence. Porting flatscreen games is a massive boon to VR, and something that I really hope becomes a larger trend, because they're great stepping-stones for developers to learn how to translate mechanics and just gameplay in general while starting from what they already know. I agree there isn't a killer app right now, but I think we're in a place we might see one come into existence in the next few years through PSVR2.

And, no, you still can't have a space suit, get back to mopping!

Bro it's 2023 and they made the bow in Horizon entirely aimed by one hand, we are doomed

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

PSVR2 killer app free idea:

The Darkness, aesthetic of the first game but the expanded combat mechanics of the second, without going overboard

But essentially the darkness is all controlled by eye input, so you can be firing at one guy and then look at someone else, bite their head off with the darkness, steal their firearm with the darkness, life them into the air and throw them with the darkness, use them as a human shield with the darkness, etc. They just become your extra set of hands that are actually demonic serpents with shark teeth, and this is how they function. Like two fun gravity guns you control with your eyes

When you are just undercover and meet the eyes of someone they'll ask "can I eat that one" and it will vibrate your head while it's happening, because the PSVR2 can vibrate your head

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I'm Spigot the Bear. Play with my balls

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Oh my god why did I start this again

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

SCheeseman posted:

Oh my god why did I start this again

This post could be made at literally any time for the past 7 years or so

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Does anyone have anything good or bad to say about Operencia? It does have partial VR support. It's an RPG which is a genre I haven't tried on my headset yet.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Morter posted:

Getting back into VR for exercise/fitness sake, and I have Beat Saber and Pistol Whip and they're great. However, since I'm also taking up martial arts, I'd like something that incorporates a bit more footwork and open hand strikes. I do remember seeing, in passing, some boxing or punch-centric VR games. What are the ones that you'd recommend to supplement a workout regimen, especially for a beginner (playing Hard on BS, Normal in Pistol Whip)?

Thrill of the Fight
Virtual Fighting Championship
Crazy Kung Fu

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I played the Raganarock demo. I like hitting the drums with the hammers

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Alyx in many ways set VR back

madness

on one hand, Alyx didn't put in crowbar melee. on the other hand it's one of the few VR titles that's written, designed and polished to a truly AAA standard of quality.

VR needs more Alyxes

forest spirit posted:

Like yes all of those are possible, but that's so much more loving game design, holy poo poo, it's like I'm taking crazy pills and "Good VR melee game mechanics" is just something you can tick on in Unity now

I agree with your posts for the record

AndrewP fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Feb 26, 2023

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

EbolaIvory posted:

Thrill of the Fight
Virtual Fighting Championship
Crazy Kung Fu

I have the Creed boxing game, and it's solid. It certainly has open hand strikes and kicks-my-rear end cardio workouts.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Just to shift topics a bit, looking at that Meta Studios logo when Tales from Galaxy's Edge loads up on PSVR2 made me realize something;

If Meta's willing to put this in PSVR2, why the gently caress didn't they port at least Lone Echo 1&2, if not Echo VR rather than close it?

Utter dumbasses.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Just to shift topics a bit, looking at that Meta Studios logo when Tales from Galaxy's Edge loads up on PSVR2 made me realize something;

If Meta's willing to put this in PSVR2, why the gently caress didn't they port at least Lone Echo 1&2, if not Echo VR rather than close it?

Utter dumbasses.

You don't have to look for a 'minor' title like Tales from Galaxy Edge, they are also released Beat Saber, which is one of the biggest VR games.

It's my hope Lone Echo 1&2 will come to Quest 3, in a reduced form, maybe then they will release them too in PSVR2.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Feb 26, 2023

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Node posted:

Does anyone have anything good or bad to say about Operencia? It does have partial VR support. It's an RPG which is a genre I haven't tried on my headset yet.

Only tried it in flatscreen; it was kind of blah. A very serviceable example of the genre, but not very engaging. I can't really imagine VR adding that much compared to a dedicated VR game in the genre like The Mage's Tale.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Turin Turambar posted:

You don't have to look for a 'minor' title like Tales from Galaxy Edge, they are also released Beat Saber, which is one of the biggest VR games.

It's my hope Lone Echo 1&2 will come to Quest 3, in a reduced form, maybe then they will release them too in PSVR2.

Beat Saber was a given though. It's the closest thing to a VR game with mainstream awareness, and starting out multiplatform means it'd cost Meta more than benefit them to lock it in their walled garden after the fact. Plus the first thing literally everyone would ask is "Where's Beat Saber?" If it didn't have a PS5 port.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

The single hand shooting for all weapons in Alyx is weird to me since I've played other games that have better gun use, but I cannot imagine any kind of melee improving that game at all. I use a crowbar in the HL games but it's not like I'm going around beating enemies to death with it past the very beginning of the game. It's just not that big of a deal to me to not have a crowbar I guess. If I want melee in VR I kind of just want it to be melee, maybe with a bow or crossbow if it's a medieval setting. Biggest issue for me in Alyx was how loving slow you move with stick control, with no sprint option. I don't really care that it isn't as advanced as other titles because it's a full game I can play from beginning to end in VR, designed for VR originally, without having a flatscreen projection to show cutscenes or whatever and feels really fun to play. RE4VR is the only thing that comes close for me for that type of experience and that's a port of a flatscreen game.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

EbolaIvory posted:

Crazy Kung Fu

Hey, this has Wing Chun! That happens to be what i'm studying. I'll check out that and Thrill of the Fight, since one of the guides looks informative and interesting. Don't let the title throw you off, i read through most of it and learned a bit about boxing basics, enough to wanna get me to try the game.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

I'm curious: what's the technological hurdle preventing true full periphery FOV? Is it the lens, the screen?

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Combination of those and money, probably. There are physical limits to what you can do to refocus light, and you can only do so much with a stack of lenses and screens. Pimax does the higher fov stuff which is cool, but has a lot of tradeoffs, including being harder to render (larger screens), it's bulkier, heavier, and I think they ship with knives in the headset because after about an hour of use it felt like my eyeballs were being stabbed (I assume some kind of lens issue caused me extreme eye strain)

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

I'd like to see where VR games go with the writing. Looking forward to the future when VR games have some interesting stories to tell, instead of the typical 16 bit era subjects we have now.

The medium is quite a bit behind flatscreen games, way behind movies, and even further behind novels. There's going to be a lot more older and jaded games in the future. And when developers start hitting a plateau with graphics, and gameplay, they're going to have to turn to writing to jazz up the gaming experiences.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

ChocNitty posted:

I'd like to see where VR games go with the writing. Looking forward to the future when VR games have some interesting stories to tell, instead of the typical 16 bit era subjects we have now.

The medium is quite a bit behind flatscreen games, way behind movies, and even further behind novels. There's going to be a lot more older and jaded games in the future. And when developers start hitting a plateau with graphics, and gameplay, they're going to have to turn to writing to jazz up the gaming experiences.

I'd like games to focus on gameplay.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

ChocNitty posted:

Video games in general have always struggled with linearity to a degree with storytelling, because the point of games is that the player has agency in ways they don't in other kinds of art (books, movies, etc). It's not like you can't do it obviously, but there's always a tension, and games have to decide how far on that spectrum between locking players into a very narrow way of playing and giving them more freedom, but then the story can struggle to adapt

I think VR is way, way, way more intense in terms of giving players agency, because not only are they in control, but they have so much more direct control that used to have to be abstracted into buttons. By and large I think linear games tend to feel way more limiting than even in flat screen games, and I think the games that fit the medium best are ones that lean into that agency and give players a lot more latitude in decision making, which is pretty at odds with telling specific stories. I think social multiplayer games are where it shines the most, and I don't think we've seen too many attempts at making those kinds of games (not counting the "metaverse" nonsense that's just attempts by corporations to own the next internet). It's not like you can't focus on writing in those kinds of games, but I don't think the premade stories will be the focus

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Yea I've always found video games' interactive nature to be a detriment to their ability to tell stories. I'd say VR absolutely needs to focus on gameplay and games worth playing, because an OK game with a good story will just watched on Twitch or where ever instead.

Lord Bob
Jun 1, 2000
I want more "barely interactive theatre" games. I thought The Invisible Hours was fascinating, the way it was this non-interactive play that just ran on its own timer and your only interaction with the world was to "self direct" your own movie version of the play, walking around as an invisible ghost as everyone else runs on their own script, discovering secrets and hidden things by just choosing who to follow - with everyone acting simultaneously meaning you have to replay sections and choose who to follow to unravel the mysteries of a weird scifi Agatha Christie novel.

Give me A Knives Out VR mystery where I'm just a weird fart following benoit blanc around as he just does things.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Lord Bob posted:

Give me A Knives Out VR mystery where I'm just a weird fart following benoit blanc around as he just does things.

This put the idea in my head of a Ghost Trick-esque ghost detective game in VR where you're able to float around and solve a mystery and have limited ability to manipulate the world and characters. You can toss poo poo around if you want, or uncover clues and place them where they'll be spotted by NPCs, but otherwise the game just kinda goes on without you and you have to try and make sure the mystery is solved and justice is served with what ghost abilities you have.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
The strength of video games in general, and VR games in particular, lies in environmental storytelling rather than traditional linear narratives. If we must compare them to traditional artistic mediums, they have more in common with installation art than with books and movies. A lot of immersive art installations are basically real-life video games.

I think games should focus on finding ways to tell stories and communicate ideas through environmental details and interactions.

Essobie
Jan 31, 2003

WHAT? THIS IS MY REGULAR SPEAKING VOICE.
Is this better?

Morter posted:

Getting back into VR for exercise/fitness sake, and I have Beat Saber and Pistol Whip and they're great. However, since I'm also taking up martial arts, I'd like something that incorporates a bit more footwork and open hand strikes. I do remember seeing, in passing, some boxing or punch-centric VR games. What are the ones that you'd recommend to supplement a workout regimen, especially for a beginner (playing Hard on BS, Normal in Pistol Whip)?

I did Thrill of the Fight almost every day for a few weeks when I got it. Great cardio for sure. Unlock customization on a fighter and up the fights to 12 rounds and see if you can win every round and TKO/knock them out in the 12th round and it's ~45 minutes of sweating your balls off.

My new game to sweat to is Blaston. Seems like since they went free to play you can get plenty of duels in the evenings and on weekends. You have to be willing to actually move around significantly to dodge incoming projectiles to do well.

Consequently I'm sore in places I didn't know I had.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I'm kinda surprised no one has made a version of manhunt. It's pretty much the perfect game to update for vr since the entire point of the game is people watching you shank people. Instead of a security camera, they'd tune in via casting with glasses or some poo poo so they can really experience it from their own pov.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

I'm kinda surprised no one has made a version of manhunt. It's pretty much the perfect game to update for vr since the entire point of the game is people watching you shank people. Instead of a security camera, they'd tune in via casting with glasses or some poo poo so they can really experience it from their own pov.

I think anyone who played either Manhunt games is aware of the reason that series died (it was bad).

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Lord Bob posted:

I want more "barely interactive theatre" games. I thought The Invisible Hours was fascinating, the way it was this non-interactive play that just ran on its own timer and your only interaction with the world was to "self direct" your own movie version of the play, walking around as an invisible ghost as everyone else runs on their own script, discovering secrets and hidden things by just choosing who to follow - with everyone acting simultaneously meaning you have to replay sections and choose who to follow to unravel the mysteries of a weird scifi Agatha Christie novel.

Oh my god someone tell Will Arnett to make Murderville VR!

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Reading a bit on Thrill of the Fight, it looks like there are some issues via SteamVR? Someone on the Steam forums was having an issue with the game which was apparently resolved by getting the native version. Would this be a reason for me to avoid getting it for Steam?

Edit: On that note, I tried the Crazy Kung Fu demo and I'm kind of conflicted! I kind of get it and it has a fun premise, but I can't tell why my blocks are being seen as not-blocks, or why my seemingly on-point punches are registering as inaccurate! It's hard to tell if it's because of SteamVR lag (as opposed to native), or if the demo itself is janky and not as maintained as the main game? I spotted 2-3 typos reading the text it gave me.

Actually, it looks like there's a demo on the Oculus store for it, so I'll try that out and see if it's any better...

Morter fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Feb 27, 2023

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

I also wanna know if anyone has put any time into the new NMS update, even at the highest settings it still looked like pudding past 20 meters

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Morter posted:

Edit: On that note, I tried the Crazy Kung Fu demo and I'm kind of conflicted! I kind of get it and it has a fun premise, but I can't tell why my blocks are being seen as not-blocks, or why my seemingly on-point punches are registering as inaccurate! It's hard to tell if it's because of SteamVR lag (as opposed to native), or if the demo itself is janky and not as maintained as the main game? I spotted 2-3 typos reading the text it gave me.

Its like one dude doing everything. I only recommended it because the guy really is trying to teach people some basic martial arts and its a really solid application for that.

With that said, I'd join his discord if you wanted to get some feedback/bug updates.

as far as thrill, i've had no issues PCVR/SteamVR. at least that ive noticed?

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

EbolaIvory posted:

Its like one dude doing everything. I only recommended it because the guy really is trying to teach people some basic martial arts and its a really solid application for that.

I did try the Oculus demo and i'm hot poo poo at that too. Something isn't connecting with me and where hit detection is...and i'm usually not that terrible at it, in other games.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Morter posted:

I did try the Oculus demo and i'm hot poo poo at that too. Something isn't connecting with me and where hit detection is...and i'm usually not that terrible at it, in other games.

Form is apparently really critical. I'd seriously join the discord and read whatever dude has posted these days. I know when I first tested it for them I definitely had some "ok wtf why" moments.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.

forest spirit posted:

I also wanna know if anyone has put any time into the new NMS update, even at the highest settings it still looked like pudding past 20 meters

I just bought the game and put in about 3 hours over the weekend. I'm on a 3080ti on ultra settings, and that seems accurate so far. I wish it were more awe-inspiring to stand on top of a mountain and look around in VR, but everything on the terrestrial level seems muddy and plain. It could be a procedural generation thing, because I'm getting vibes of how bland Oblivion's dungeons and caves were.

On top of the visuals not being so great, I'm also a little disappointed that the actual gameplay so far is just resource gathering and basebuilding that was all the rage in the mid-2010s before battle royales took over. I have a friend who wants to co-op, so maybe that will redeem the game for me. But I'm not feeling it so far.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Morter posted:

Play Dragon Fist VR instead. Steam | Quest

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

forest spirit posted:

I tried it on PSVR 2 and it's still pudding past 20 meters.