Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

i say swears online posted:

remember when hans blix was a bigger villain in the media than saddam

He was an agent of Saddam, trying to keep him in power!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

kronix posted:

The US did in 30 days what Russia couldn't do in a year and still failed to maintain control of Iraq which the entire point of my post from GBS.

has it occurred to you that the reason why russia hasnt tried to destroy ukraine the way the united states destroyed iraq isnt because they are incapable of doing so but because they recognize that the long term negatives of such destruction would easily outweigh the short term benefit of ending active combat and the united states getting stuck in an unwinnable quagmire in iraq that killed far more civilians than the ukraine war has would seem to support this interpretation

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Best Friends posted:

the actual us rebuilding effort in Iraq was

1) hand literal stacks of cash to local sheiks / mafia dons in exchange for a pinky swear that they would only murder nonwhites / non occupiers

2) tear down schools and watch truck drivers from America with no construction experience turn the land that school sat on into a hosed up badly built fort for the same $/hr rate paid to haliburton as a heart surgeon (eventually either the Iraqi army or the Iraqi police, whichever the locals hated more, would station a few guys in this hosed up fort to shake down the locals who used to send their kids to school on the lot)

ah but have you considered that slavic countries a get +50% corruption modifier?

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009
I mean they may be close to it, they did model the state upon the us after all

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
joe biden should apologize to hans blix

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Best Friends posted:

the actual us rebuilding effort in Iraq was

1) hand literal stacks of cash to local sheiks / mafia dons in exchange for a pinky swear that they would only murder nonwhites / non occupiers

2) tear down schools and watch truck drivers from America with no construction experience turn the land that school sat on into a hosed up badly built fort for the same $/hr rate paid to haliburton as a heart surgeon (eventually either the Iraqi army or the Iraqi police, whichever the locals hated more, would station a few guys in this hosed up fort to shake down the locals who used to send their kids to school on the lot)

they also auctioned off all remaining state infrastructure and banned labour organising. real rebuilding hours who up

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

USA did a neoliberal shock doctrine on Iraq

they (the USA) are doing the same thing to ukriane atm. so the analogy to the Iraq war is similar in that regard. ukrianes only hope (not a great hope) was allying with Russia .

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

as always for liberals you have to understand their code words. corruption means “government program i do not like”

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

Cerebral Bore posted:

hey, general question here since you're the expert, when you were planning those war crimes was your working thesis that you needed to murder more people quicker to pull of a successful occupation?

I was a math nerd playing with crypto in a lab so they didn’t bring me into those meetings.

Cerebral Bore posted:

this isn't actually the genocide denial subforum, no matter what your peers might have told you

It’s only genocide when it happens to Russian speakers, right? When it’s children who’s parents support the west we don’t really care?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

euphronius posted:

as always for liberals you have to understand their code words. corruption means “government program i do not like”

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

god stemlords are so dumb

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

kronix posted:

I was a math nerd playing with crypto in a lab so they didn’t bring me into those meetings.

It’s only genocide when it happens to Russian speakers, right? When it’s children who’s parents support the west we don’t really care?

i dunno, you're the mercenary war crimes architect here so i guess you would know the weighting by political belief

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

euphronius posted:

as always for liberals you have to understand their code words. corruption means “non-white government"

Ftfy

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

kronix posted:

strange. no matter how hard you scrub, the blood doesn't come off your hands.

perhaps try scrubbing harder.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

yeah. that is a common use.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
I Helped Make Afghanistan Safe For Organized Child-Rape And I'm Here To Tell You About Why Russia Bad, and other lessons i learned from gbs

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
it just seems really unlikely that there's going to be any long term insurgent activity in crimea or the breakaway republics, and I'm skeptical about southeast ukraine generally. Who knows what russia plans to do if they capture the whole donbas, though, if they want ukraine to bear the cost of a buffer region instead of the donbas, things could get tricky.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

bacha bazi ain't goin' away!

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

Some Guy TT posted:

has it occurred to you that the reason why russia hasnt tried to destroy ukraine the way the united states destroyed iraq isnt because they are incapable of doing so but because they recognize that the long term negatives of such destruction would easily outweigh the short term benefit of ending active combat and the united states getting stuck in an unwinnable quagmire in iraq that killed far more civilians than the ukraine war has would seem to support this interpretation

They’re actively bombing civilian infrastructure, lobbing cruise missiles at cities hundreds of miles away from the front so no, it has never occurred to me that Russia is holding back anything.

Russia isn’t competent and it’s military rotted from the inside. Putin’s been spinning his failure internally as “at least we found out how poo poo our military is now instead of when NATO” invaded.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

kronix posted:

Terminal autist posted:

Lmao. You weren't a barista my man you had a security clearance

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

kronix posted:

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

me a simple employee at bae systems:

kronix posted:

They’re actively bombing civilian infrastructure, lobbing cruise missiles at cities hundreds of miles away from the front so no, it has never occurred to me that Russia is holding back anything.

Russia isn’t competent and it’s military rotted from the inside. Putin’s been spinning his failure internally as “at least we found out how poo poo our military is now instead of when NATO” invaded.

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

When did I ever say I had a security clearance? You know there’s a lot of unclassified research right?

Grimnarsson
Sep 4, 2018

V. Illych L. posted:

the russians have strong long-term interests in ukraine. that can make them more brutal, but it also means that leaving the place a straight-up smoking ruin is going to be politically costly.

It might be illustrative how when in the seat of power at Moscow the Bolsheviks, Lenin, etc, were fine with letting the Baltics and Finland go away but not so with Ukraine. Or how before in the Russian Empire Finland had autonomy and the Baltics were ruled by its German aristocracy.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

kronix posted:

maybe you should call putin, give him some pointers on how to do the murdering more efficiently?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I’m loling at the idea of nato invading Russia again

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

euphronius posted:

Everyone is except Putin

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

18 Finnish tanks will envelope St Petersburg

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

kronix posted:

Everyone is except Putin

then why was NATO so keen to encroach upon Russia, triggering this whole mess?

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

The Finnish-Polish deck in Red Dragon is actually stupidly powerful in a bunch of ways.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

Like I made a deck I called baltic-friends that was finnish-polish motorized and it kicked so much rear end.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

euphronius posted:

With what? They left their weapons in Afghanistan.

Grimnarsson
Sep 4, 2018

Minenfeld! posted:

Like I made a deck I called baltic-friends that was finnish-polish motorized and it kicked so much rear end.

:poland: :finland:

The littlest Entente that never was.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
I for one am glad to have the expertise of someone who works in the industry in this thread instead of a bunch of theorists just guessing and posting

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

Regarde Aduck posted:

then why was NATO so keen to encroach upon Russia, triggering this whole mess?

NATO was on its deathbed before the invasion. Nearly every member was spending next to nothing on defense and you had Donald Trump and the Republican Party openly calling for the US to withdraw.

The whole NATO thing is a fig leaf used to justify Russia’s imperial aspirations. To Putin, giving away Ukraine was a historical mistake and it will be undone no matter how many have to die.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

look out he’s imperial now

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

I'm just a sweet and pure lil' math nerd who loves crypto and thinking happy thoughts about how much help my country provides to its imperial victims

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/AP/status/1629945707388870656?s=20

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

kronix posted:

When did I ever say I had a security clearance? You know there’s a lot of unclassified research right?

My goon, you can't even get a entry level cybersecurity position doing basically computer janitor poo poo without TS/SCI clearance, don't try to bullshit me that you worked on comm cryptology meant for the DoD without one.

BadOptics has issued a correction as of 21:51 on Feb 26, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

when a country says they have been harassed by Nato, I think we should believe them.