Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I presume you mean new car since you did not specify. Unless you have a particular need to buy a new car there is no reason to buy a new car now (or ever, but especially now).

Also, I'm guessing based on the tone of the post that they might be doing this for perceived environmental reasons. Keeping and maintaining their existing car for five years and buying an EV at that point is going to be the most environmentally friendly course of action.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
They're not married to the idea of buying new but they're seeing used prices even higher than new. From the limited amount of industry news I see I get the impression this might not last for long, but again, I'm not very plugged in.

They're replacing their car because maintenance is becoming prohibitively expensive and they're relatively new parents who are paranoid about driving their toddler around in a lovely Jeep that keeps having things break.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

the holy poopacy posted:

They're replacing their car because maintenance is becoming prohibitively expensive and they're relatively new parents who are paranoid about driving their toddler around in a lovely Jeep that keeps having things break.

So now we're going to have to qualify what "prohibitively expensive" means and ask if these are really repairs or just deferred maintenance catching up with them.

And back to the sustainability questions.

You're not going to be able to ask this thread to shop for them on their behalf. Because most people don't have sound reasoning for wanting a new vehicle in the first place, but rather than just saying "because I want one" they try to justify it with a bunch of bullshit and plainly state those are the things that matter to them. And they aren't, they're just excuses that sound more reasonable to them than "because I want one".

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

the holy poopacy posted:

a lovely Jeep that keeps having things break.

you can just write jeep next time

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Motronic posted:

So now we're going to have to qualify what "prohibitively expensive" means and ask if these are really repairs or just deferred maintenance catching up with them.

And back to the sustainability questions.

You're not going to be able to ask this thread to shop for them on their behalf. Because most people don't have sound reasoning for wanting a new vehicle in the first place, but rather than just saying "because I want one" they try to justify it with a bunch of bullshit and plainly state those are the things that matter to them. And they aren't, they're just excuses that sound more reasonable to them than "because I want one".

They're pretty on the ball with maintenance. It could be that they're getting taken for a ride by their mechanic but most of the time they're bringing it in for issues they've noticed themselves.

Ultimately, yeah, I know that they're making the decision mostly for emotional reasons. I'm just looking for any tips to help them make a slightly less bad decision. I've already tried to persuade them to just get a hybrid and drive it into the ground but they're stuck on trading up for an EV when they get a chance, so I'm just focused on their current plans.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

the holy poopacy posted:

they're stuck on trading up for an EV when they get a chance, so I'm just focused on their current plans.

No one here can help you help your friends time the EV market 5 years into the future. Or whatever it is this would be called.

It's completely ridiculous to consider these two transaction as anything other than entirely separate.

This is a potentially reasonable problem statement that can be discussed with more information about current needs and budget: They want to buy a car now that will be reliable enough for new parents for the next 5 years. They think they want to buy an EV after that, but whatever they can figure that poo poo out later.

This is not regardless of what other information they provide as nobody has a crystal ball: They want to buy a car that will retain an unknown amount of value that will also enable them to use it to somehow buy an unknown EV at an unknown price 5 years into the future.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

the holy poopacy posted:

Friend of mine is looking to buy a relatively affordable (as much as is possible in this market) hybrid with a view to moving up to an EV in 5 or so years. Any pointers? I've heard the market is still pretty hosed and we have no plans to get a new car ourselves so I'm kind of out of the loop.

Prius?

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
Yep Prius is the option, here. Not many hybrids worth taking the risk on.

melon cat fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Jan 10, 2024

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Sorry, to be clear I mention their future plans solely for the takeaway that they plan on ditching it in about 5 years, not that I am seriously looking for advice on a hypothetical purchase 5 years from now.

After talking to her a bit more, I can narrow down the question even further: they want relatively modern features but most of the hybrids they're seeing <5 years old are priced almost as much (and occasionally more) than new ones with equivalent features. Her options:

1) Buy used now
2) Buy new now
3) Wait a few months and hope the used market settles down
4) Continue sinking money into her Jeep until it falls apart or the used market actually settles down

Keeping the car is obviously going to be cheaper than buying now even if it costs a couple grand each year in repairs, but with the frequency of things breaking she feels paranoid about continuing to drive it much longer.
So ultimately the question is, if she's committed to the questionable decision to replace her car in the near future with a relatively recent model in a bad market, how much premium (if any) is worth it for 2023 model vs. a 2019 or 20 that costs almost as much, if they both have the features she cares about? She has the cash to burn regardless but I still hate to see her set more on fire than she needs to.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

the holy poopacy posted:

Sorry, to be clear I mention their future plans solely for the takeaway that they plan on ditching it in about 5 years, not that I am seriously looking for advice on a hypothetical purchase 5 years from now.

After talking to her a bit more, I can narrow down the question even further: they want relatively modern features but most of the hybrids they're seeing <5 years old are priced almost as much (and occasionally more) than new ones with equivalent features. Her options:

1) Buy used now
2) Buy new now
3) Wait a few months and hope the used market settles down
4) Continue sinking money into her Jeep until it falls apart or the used market actually settles down

Keeping the car is obviously going to be cheaper than buying now even if it costs a couple grand each year in repairs, but with the frequency of things breaking she feels paranoid about continuing to drive it much longer.
So ultimately the question is, if she's committed to the questionable decision to replace her car in the near future with a relatively recent model in a bad market, how much premium (if any) is worth it for 2023 model vs. a 2019 or 20 that costs almost as much, if they both have the features she cares about? She has the cash to burn regardless but I still hate to see her set more on fire than she needs to.

Ultimately, it probably makes little difference. They should buy the car the like now and worry about the market in five years in five years.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I would also buy new now versus used and I would just find a dealer who will place an order at MSRP for whichever you prefer or the CR-V, RAV4, or Escape hybrids.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
I never looked around the other two but all my local Ford dealers have lots of escape hybrids and even a few phevs on the lot so I don't think you need to order one at msrp

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

So msrp is what to expect? I haven’t bought a car in years, the situation sounds bad. Any advice for going in nowadays? What to ask for, expect, etc

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Professor Shark posted:

So msrp is what to expect? I haven’t bought a car in years, the situation sounds bad. Any advice for going in nowadays? What to ask for, expect, etc

Depends on the car like always. If you're looking for a Nissan Altima or Ram truck or Alfa Romeo then no. If looking for a Prius or Accord or 718 GT4 or full size Range Rover then probably at least MSRP.

Just from looking around in the past bit, there's a few cars that would probably be fine to own with healthy discounts.

- New Nissan Pathfinder - It's a NA V6 with a regular torque converter auto, how bad could it be?
- Mazda CX-9 - turbo engine but haven't heard anything too bad about them, pobably discounted because the drivetrain's getting old (6AT) and making room for the CX-90.
- There are less popular Honda/Acura models as well, I don't think the TLX is doing all that hot.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

Quick Question -

In my searches, I’ve run across precisely two Suzukis within my budget. While I’m not seriously looking at them, what’s the quick and dirty rundown of them as a brand? I literally didn’t know they made cars.

The sedan I saw is AWD and an average 29 mpg, which might be a first.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!
Every time I see a Suzuki Samurai I have the brief urge to buy one, put ridiculously oversized AT tires on it, and make it a little project for bouncing around OHV areas and muddy BLM trails.

Then I remember I lack the skills, experience, and time to do any of that.

That's the beginning and end of my knowledge about Suzuki as a car brand.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Captain Log posted:

Quick Question -

In my searches, I’ve run across precisely two Suzukis within my budget. While I’m not seriously looking at them, what’s the quick and dirty rundown of them as a brand? I literally didn’t know they made cars.

One of the basics of mass market auto manufacturing is that the more you sell the larger your profit per vehicle because of economies of scale, which gives you more resources to reinvest and improve your product and processes, which lowers your cost of manufacturing and improves quality. Every redesign improves your vehicle and your economics. Toyota is the king of this.

Suzuki hasn’t had the cash to drive this cycle since the 80s Japan credit bubble and building small cars for GM in the 90s. The US subsidiary went Chapter 11 in 2012. They’re too small and their production costs are too high. Like many businesses in Japan it probably wouldn’t be around if not for banks and the government keeping them around.

So: old, non competitive 90s era vehicle designs and bad parts availability in the USA.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

incogneato posted:

Every time I see a Suzuki Samurai I have the brief urge to buy one,

In a previous life I drove one around the island of Grenada including the sketchy not-a-road perimeter road, they're plenty capable even in stock form. You should 100% buy one

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

This is the ad that made me go, "What the gently caress? Suzuki makes cars?"

It's called a Kizashi. Whatever that means.

https://kpr.craigslist.org/ctd/d/portland-2010-suzuki-kizashi-se-awd/7593719708.html

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

Hadlock posted:

In a previous life I drove one around the island of Grenada including the sketchy not-a-road perimeter road, they're plenty capable even in stock form. You should 100% buy one

Oh yeah, I know they're super capable and fun off road. I also know that I shouldn't buy any such thing, but I do appreciate you helping me to justify future poor decisions.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

The Kizashi was a perfectly fine car for the time and reviewed well, but I wouldn't buy one in 2023 since I'm very skeptical about parts support.

The SX4 was also an option and was a decent seller in my corner of rural mountainous snowland because it was the cheapest way to get a decent AWD system

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

Captain Log posted:

Quick Question -

I used to have a 2000 Suzuki Esteem and I pretty thoroughly destroyed it over a decade. It was okay at getting from point A to point B, but plastic was its biggest weakness. Door handles, the mating piece from the blinker stock to the actual switch, even part of the hood release broke due to plastic issues. I had to keep a special screwdriver in the car so I could poke through the grill and actually release the hood. For the last few years I had to go without an air filter because nobody could find a compatible one.

I'm sure they made some changes for the better between that car and the Kizashi you're looking at, but I'm also going to note that I see some pieces that look identical.

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

It’s the car that Saul Goodman drives. S’all good, man.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

incogneato posted:

I also know that I shouldn't buy any such thing, but I do appreciate you helping me to justify future poor decisions.

You should come join us in the Nautical Insanity thread! :hf:

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Corolla is a good choice, but you could get cheaper if you aren't driving that much. You linked an automatic car but I presume since you are in NI that you can drive a manual transmission.

Sounds like you will want at min a C segment car based on the requirement for space for people and gear. A baby MPV like the Ford C-Max or VW Touran would work, or a C segment wagon (Golf Variant, Megane Grand Tour, Skoda Octavia etc). You could also look in to a bigger MPV like the Galaxy, Sharan, Alhambra, Espace etc. If you're not driving that much there's little penalty to a bigger less fuel efficient car, except for taxes and the ability to park it.
thank you for this excellent advice, which i ignored and bought a corolla estate anyway. lol

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

jesus WEP posted:

thank you for this excellent advice, which i ignored and bought a corolla estate anyway. lol

hell, as long as you're happy and can afford it, it's a win!

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

in a well actually posted:

One of the basics of mass market auto manufacturing is that the more you sell the larger your profit per vehicle because of economies of scale, which gives you more resources to reinvest and improve your product and processes, which lowers your cost of manufacturing and improves quality. Every redesign improves your vehicle and your economics. Toyota is the king of this.

Suzuki hasn’t had the cash to drive this cycle since the 80s Japan credit bubble and building small cars for GM in the 90s. The US subsidiary went Chapter 11 in 2012. They’re too small and their production costs are too high. Like many businesses in Japan it probably wouldn’t be around if not for banks and the government keeping them around.

So: old, non competitive 90s era vehicle designs and bad parts availability in the USA.

Unless it's a different Suzuki company, it's probably still around because of selling motorcycles, ATVs outboard motors and a gang of poo poo that's not road legal vehicles.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

The Kizashi was a perfectly fine car for the time and reviewed well, but I wouldn't buy one in 2023 since I'm very skeptical about parts support.

The SX4 was also an option and was a decent seller in my corner of rural mountainous snowland because it was the cheapest way to get a decent AWD system

My mother in law in Chicagoland has a SX4. It fits old person check boxes pretty well - easy to get in and out of (she has awful mobility and can barely go up a stair step, so this is important)., large windows to see easily out of, and minimal maintenance since she drives to work like once a week.

Despite the phenomena of seeing one car and noticing them everywhere, I've never ever seen another Suzuki. I'm not even sure how she bought it.

Also she doesn't know how to draw the S which is just shameful. Half the kids in middle school had 75cc bikes and were constantly drawing it

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Feb 28, 2023

Pretty rad dad pad
Oct 13, 2003

People who try to pretend they're superior make it so much harder for those of us who really are. Philistines!

Captain Log posted:

Quick Question -

Actual Suzukis are basic but essentially good cars for the most part. Their big (car) business is in India, EU, Asia so they're really more known for making small, cheap things that have more personality than they should than anything that really fits the NA market as a whole. They were relatively well known from the 80s onwards for mini jeep type things (Samurai, tiny but very serious offroader, & Vitara/Escudo/Sidekick/a bunch of other names and brands, more car-like compact SUV) and the Swift/Geo Metro, small cars which were alternately made fun of or highly desirable depending on what fuel prices were doing. If it were 2005 rather than 2023 you'd probably be shopping for one.

Most of the cars sold in the US with a Suzuki badge after the mid-00s however, due to a tie-up with General Motors, were not really Suzukis but rebadged Daewoos (the 'other' South Korean carmaker, later bought out by GM completely and AFAIK recently killed off for good to noone's particular regret - except yours, maybe, since you seem to want a Spark and that's the origin story for that too) and in common with most cars Daewoo ever made were grim, depressing piles of poo poo that weren't any good when they were new and mostly corroded, melted or just fell to bits after a few years.

The Kizashi is in most respects a pretty decent car that just didn't sell all that well at the time, but the auto ones (so, most of them in NA) iirc all have the lovely JATCO CVT as seen on a billion broken Nissans etc with an engine that's juuust powerful enough to cause JATCO CVT problems, and are probably best avoided unless you want to budget for a transmission replacement in your near future. The SX4 has been mentioned (fine, not a huge seller either but nothing inherently wrong with them, may actually make sense for you re the legs since it's more of an 'upright' car physically), its predecessor the Aerio was similarly bland but functional (but are now all getting old, so don't) and they kept selling Vitaras (and XL-7s, basically a stretched version) right until they pulled out of North America which were again kinda spartan but more or less bulletproof mechanically. If you're looking at a Suzuki and it isn't one of those, don't even think about it.

Old Samurais and early Vitaras are IME still around in considerable numbers but mostly out in the bush, being used by elderly rednecks to haul bits of deer around, and are mostly not in a state that a normal person would want any more :v:

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007
Bringing back memories. In the early 90s my dad bought a Mitsubishi Montero and his best friend got a Sidekick to start their 4wheeling hobby. Spent a lot of time in both. Surprisingly capable but I’m pretty sure my dad went through 3 engines before upgrading to an ‘85 4Runner. Our mechanic got so much business they invited us to their daughter’s wedding.

I’d totally buy a sidekick if I found the right one though.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Pretty rad dad pad posted:

Actual Suzukis are basic but essentially good cars for the most part. Their big (car) business is in India, EU, Asia so they're really more known for making small, cheap things that have more personality than they should than anything that really fits the NA market as a whole. They were relatively well known from the 80s onwards for mini jeep type things (Samurai, tiny but very serious offroader, & Vitara/Escudo/Sidekick/a bunch of other names and brands, more car-like compact SUV) and the Swift/Geo Metro, small cars which were alternately made fun of or highly desirable depending on what fuel prices were doing. If it were 2005 rather than 2023 you'd probably be shopping for one.

Most of the cars sold in the US with a Suzuki badge after the mid-00s however, due to a tie-up with General Motors, were not really Suzukis but rebadged Daewoos (the 'other' South Korean carmaker, later bought out by GM completely and AFAIK recently killed off for good to noone's particular regret - except yours, maybe, since you seem to want a Spark and that's the origin story for that too) and in common with most cars Daewoo ever made were grim, depressing piles of poo poo that weren't any good when they were new and mostly corroded, melted or just fell to bits after a few years.

The Kizashi is in most respects a pretty decent car that just didn't sell all that well at the time, but the auto ones (so, most of them in NA) iirc all have the lovely JATCO CVT as seen on a billion broken Nissans etc with an engine that's juuust powerful enough to cause JATCO CVT problems, and are probably best avoided unless you want to budget for a transmission replacement in your near future. The SX4 has been mentioned (fine, not a huge seller either but nothing inherently wrong with them, may actually make sense for you re the legs since it's more of an 'upright' car physically), its predecessor the Aerio was similarly bland but functional (but are now all getting old, so don't) and they kept selling Vitaras (and XL-7s, basically a stretched version) right until they pulled out of North America which were again kinda spartan but more or less bulletproof mechanically. If you're looking at a Suzuki and it isn't one of those, don't even think about it.

Old Samurais and early Vitaras are IME still around in considerable numbers but mostly out in the bush, being used by elderly rednecks to haul bits of deer around, and are mostly not in a state that a normal person would want any more :v:

Y'all are the best. :respek:

morothar
Dec 21, 2005

]]]]/

morothar
Dec 21, 2005

So ///]]yeah /

morothar
Dec 21, 2005

Edit: nevermind

morothar fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Mar 1, 2023

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
I still see Kizashi's somewhat regularly in rural Missouri. Can't remember the last time I saw an SX4.

abuse culture.
Sep 8, 2004
(located in Toronto, Canada)

Proposed Budget: 10,000 + as little as possible (see description, lol)
New or Used: don't care
Body Style: sedan or coupe, ideally not suv
How will you be using the car?: commuting to work (30min), occasionally hauling music gear
Do you prefer a luxury vehicle with all the gizmos? - i'll take what i can get
What aspects are most important to you? reliability, mileage, reliability, cost of ownership, reliability

Late last year, my 2012 Mazda 3 had some serious suspension problems. It was quoted at around 4k to fix. Rather than fix it, my partner's parents (who just purchased a new car) offered me their 2010 Hyundai Elantra with 100,000km on it. They also offered to pay for any issues. I jumped at the offer, and sold my Mazda. No issues on the mandatory safety inspection. Now after about a month (and like 1000km) of the "new" car, the brakes suddenly shat the bed. I drove home from work, no issues, and two hours later when going out I immediately noticed the pedal was hosed and the brake light was on. Thinking it was a lack of brake fluid/brake leak, I got it towed to my mechanic (who is also my cousin). He quoted about 4k to fix it (again), saying rust ate through basically everything - all the brake lines were leaking, I'd need new rotors, the calipers were seized, etc.

Naturally, my partner told her parents about it, and rather than pay the 4k to repair a 12 year old car, they offered her 10k to help with purchasing another car. My question here is how to stretch that 10k into purchasing something that will not give me panic attacks when I'm quoted enormous repair bills. I'm sick and tired of driving a shitbox. I know 10k is basically nothing these days, but is it all feasible/advisable to buy something on the cheaper side of new? I noticed a Kia dealership near me has Rios in stock for approx 20k new. The monthly payments work out to 300 a month for 36 months, which is about the limit of doable for us.

I know it’s stupid and wait times are insane across the board but ideally I would want something I can drive ASAP. My commute has ballooned from 30 minutes one way to 2 hours using transit. I can’t waste a full eighth of my loving day on the lovely unreliable TTC.

abuse culture. fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Mar 1, 2023

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Prius, plus start budgeting for more frequent underbody washes / preventative rust maintenance.

abuse culture.
Sep 8, 2004
Priuses seem insanely expensive. Here are the lowest prices for a used 2010+ Prius on AutoTrader - which of these are approaching a decent deal? I know the climate is nuts right now but it's so foreign to me that 13k+ for a 10 year old car with a ton of mileage on it is the best I can do.

abuse culture. fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Mar 1, 2023

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

For future reference, fixing the suspension on your Mazda3 would almost certainly have been the right call. Suspension components wear out over time and winter urban environments are particularly hard on suspension.

10k CAD is kind of snug in terms of buying a car. I’m not convinced you’ll do much better than a 10 year old Elantra and the new used car will have a very uncertain history and you’ll probably end up with another big repair because 10/100 is a common time frame for some pretty substantial work.

The next good decision you can make is fixing your Elantra. Don’t buy a new car or a new used car. And budget for maintenance and repairs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Used cars are very expensive now, and still, paradoxically, depreciate fast. Like $5k pear year easy fast, if you are trading in to a dealer. It sucks out there and I’m starting to doubt if the industry situation will get better near term. At least the silver lining, as we’ve been saying for 5+ or so years, general product quality seems to be at an all time high as well as pricing.

e: I would avoid private sellers as your search seems to be doing. God what a ride that can be. Tho I acknowledge it is the only workable option in some situations. Yes dealers suck and just get broken cars from auction etc. but at least they are a business LLC at least. And their pricing is usually not completely insane for the market because otherwise they wouldn’t survive.

I recommend cars.com if you haven’t given it a whirl in a while, no affiliation but it’s hq’d where I live :-)

Inner Light fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Mar 1, 2023