Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Lots of good options in there, even the obvious ones. Only folks I'd prefer not to cover are GDT (just tired of him) and Cronenberg (20 movies too many movies)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Nah this is year for gdt, just had one of his best films.

But gimme that sataoshi kon also.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Have they released the full bracket anywhere? I quick skim of the website, twitter and reddit didn't find anything, but I'm famously blond and dumb.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

March first voting starts so probably then

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Verily, the whip is ghost riding.

I've never seen The Beach but imma watch Men in Black again with the two friends and Ben tonight.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

They should do Wong or Varda so I can finally make myself finish those Criterion sets

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012
I would love a Leone series. So much context, and would lay the necessary groundwork for an eventual Clint Eastwood series.

But also.... Peter Weir. Oceans are now battlefields.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Leone just seems like it would lack variety. 5 of his films are westerns, though many great ones. But would be a shorter series at least

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Coheed and Camembert posted:

I would love a Leone series. So much context, and would lay the necessary groundwork for an eventual Clint Eastwood series.

But also.... Peter Weir. Oceans are now battlefields.

On the one hand, I would loving love a Peter Weir series. (A Weiries, if you will.)

However this is also one of the few times we have a shot at getting a director whose works aren't all primarily in English.

Sam Sanskrit
Mar 18, 2007

There are a lot of people they should just do who are on the bracket. Weir is like suspect no. 1 for why is this dude here they will definitely cover him. But also they should just do weir. I wish they would do a lot more classic and foreign films in general.

Groundskeeper Silly
Sep 1, 2005

My philosophy...
The first rule is:
You look good.
Varda too, they both (but especially David) seem to have a lot of love for her. I don't think she'll win a bracket, and it seems inevitable they'll cover her on their own.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Here's the full bracket https://twitter.com/blankcheckpod/status/1629915956771266565

Peter Weir would be a fun miniseries

Red_Museum
Apr 17, 2011

Shredded Hen
I guess I thought each continent would get its own part of the bracket, which I realise now thinking about it makes no sense.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

So we're gonna vote as a block just for Lars von Trier, right? Not because we want to, but just to make them have to spend multiple hours of their lives talking about Manderley and Dogville.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Sadly Lars is up against Kon who is one of my favorites. I like Jackson and Del toro, just they feel like example blank check directors as they had big Hollywood films and got to make their passion projects. So I would assume they would be covered naturally though its been like 7 years now.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

checkplease posted:

Sadly Lars is up against Kon who is one of my favorites. I like Jackson and Del toro, just they feel like example blank check directors as they had big Hollywood films and got to make their passion projects. So I would assume they would be covered naturally though its been like 7 years now.

O god, I wouldn't want to actually listen to a couple hours of them talking about super hosed up sex and racism stuff. Even in the space of a joke I wasn't meaning to imply that.

In terms of serious voting strategy, I'm campaigning hard for the intersection between "film-makers who never worked in English" and "film-makers who they're unlikely to ever consider again". Like I loving love Bong Joon-Ho, been a fan since The Host, but they've made noises in the past about covering him so he's gonna lose my vote if it comes to it.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Not doing Kon eventually would be a crime, he's only got four movies. I would doubt he'd win though. Lean would be interesting, I've only Sean Lawrence and Brief Encounter, but there's gotta be something to a dude who can make two classics that are that fundamentally different.

Sam Sanskrit
Mar 18, 2007

Xiahou Dun posted:

Like I loving love Bong Joon-Ho, been a fan since The Host, but they've made noises in the past about covering him so he's gonna lose my vote if it comes to it.

Yeah, this is true for me as well but also I loving love Abbas Kiarostami and just wanna hear smart people talk about him and honestly that is kind of weirdly hard to find.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Sam Sanskrit posted:

Yeah, this is true for me as well but also I loving love Abbas Kiarostami and just wanna hear smart people talk about him and honestly that is kind of weirdly hard to find.

I think FilmSpotting did a Kiarostami marathon if you haven’t already heard it

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Peter Weir would be great but they boys would probably drive me mad talking about The Australian Pschye and Gallipoli. But there are so many interesting films!

Jackson I would love but I love those LOTR films too much I probably wouldn't handle any criticism of them.

Bong and Takovsky would be my pick just for variety's sake.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Sam Sanskrit posted:

Hey, I'd vote for that.

It's not gonna be my top vote, but that has nothing to do with film quality and everything to do with his filmography being very long and about half documentaries.

Sam Sanskrit
Mar 18, 2007

WeaponX posted:

I think FilmSpotting did a Kiarostami marathon if you haven’t already heard it

Thank you for this. Filmspotting has never been my favorite but I end up dipping into their stuff for things like this every once and a while and it is better then nothing.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Sam Sanskrit posted:

Thank you for this. Filmspotting has never been my favorite but I end up dipping into their stuff for things like this every once and a while and it is better then nothing.

Yeah it can be a very dry, public radio sorta vibe but I feel like they a really do a fine job breaking down filmmakers with their marathons

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Wong Kar-Wai is a 1 seed for a reason.

And then they also need to review This perfect short as well.

:piss:

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
I want a Lynne Ramsay series real bad

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

It'd be cool if Kon could win but also I get the impression that whenever they decide to do an anime director again he'll be the one they pick so I won't be too sad of his eventual loss.

Pretty happy with the lineup overall, trying to think of what my worst possible outcome would be. Maybe Peter Jackson? And even then it's not that I'd hate it but rather that I'd prefer most of the other directors on the bracket over him.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
I adore his movies but Cronenberg might be the worst outcome. Tons of movies, all in English, with a lot of pretty similar themes.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

TychoCelchuuu posted:

I adore his movies but Cronenberg might be the worst outcome. Tons of movies, all in English, with a lot of pretty similar themes.

You’re not wrong I guess but I want to hear them talk about goop so I want him to win

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Drunkboxer posted:

You’re not wrong I guess but I want to hear them talk about goop so I want him to win

I think Cronenberg could be a good series, but making it the international pick would be pretty messed up.

The entire globe and all the worlds cultures are available, if they go with another older white dude but this time from the other big mostly English-speaking country in North America... it's just not cool.

Now if you wanted to make them do an entire separate parallel podcast but they only cover horror movies, that I'll get behind.

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

the important thing is that if youre on their patreon, you vote for the godzilla millennium series

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Pretty much all the patreon options are good this time, I was dreading some of the franchises in past years

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
I’ve given up on trying to watch along with the Patreon, Crocodile Dundee II was where I drew the line.

I’m fine with any of the main feed options, almost all of them have major blind spots for me.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Del Toro and Jackson are gonna be favorites (and I’d be thrilled with either) but I feel like that might work against them.

My dark horse favorites are Park Chan-Wook and Stephen Chow. Chow would be so much fun.

Edit:

WeaponX fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Mar 1, 2023

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
They should do Lucio Fulci’s entire filmography

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Drunkboxer posted:

They should do Lucio Fulci’s entire filmography

Yes.

And Ben has a squishy-gross sound effects for whenever they talk about eyes.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Listening to this 28 days later episode, the guest is kind of a downer so far. Complaining about the Shaun of the dead being mean? What. The genre of zombies always involves the struggle of fighting them. Also movie ends with them learning to live with some zombies…

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
Yeah that was a pretty lukewarm take and I also don’t agree with David’s issue with the tonal shift in SotD, but it also sounds like it’s a personal hang up that he can’t get past the dissonance of violence with a sort of winking tone. Him trying to compare it to Guy Ritchie movies is incredibly wrong though.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Shame is basically "Horny Jail: The Movie" lmao.

McQueen would be interesting in terms of a black English voice. I am confused as to where they get 9 films for him unless they mean 4 features plus 5 Small Axe films.

Also I'm spiritually an old man so I liked Davey Rees.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Yeah they’ve said they’d treat each of the Small Axe movies as their own podcast

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Finally watched the Killing, what a great film.

Time to boot up Millions and see what the fuss is about.