Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Shodai?
Shodai
SHODAI
View Results

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Next basho starts the same day as daylight savings time :(

Top divisions going til 5am is tough. I hope natto has posts up or at least they stay up long enough for me to watch them every morning during breakfast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Nativity In Black posted:

At first I was kinda confused by this. Like, it can't be that hard to cut 10 minute videos. But if one considers the fact that he was filming all divisions, each day, then sifting through that content for the 10 minutes and putting together a narrative, yeah I can see that being a lot.

Figure, six bashos a year is ~13 weeks of sumo with half of that being spent out of town in hotels. I'm pretty sure he posted somewhere about how that was a lot of fun to do for a year but it's not sustainable with the other things he needs/wants to do with his time.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Yeah that's a lot of dumb hoops to jump through for dumb reasons and those hoops are only able to be jumped through for people who are already established. If they want to continue with that poo poo then they're begging for piracy.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Chris isn't even providing the same service as Kinta/Jason/Natto.

He's trying to be bootleg Sumo Prime Time and tell sumo stories while showing a basho clips to support his narrative rather than guy that uploads basho clips for easy viewing, so for his purposes all that poo poo makes sense. Like for what he's doing, he doesn't NEED a second of JSA/NHK footage. Short of turfing him from the arena, there's nothing they can really do to him. Though I am surprised they let him record the basho for semi-peo use. Try doing that poo poo in NA and he'd be toast so maybe they do cut him some slack.

He wants access to do his thing which obviously requires some sort of relationship with the JSA. Not sure how it would work in Japan, but in NA he'd probably need to work through some flunkie in the press/public relations office to get credentialed as a reporter. With the JSA, that flunkie might be an ex-Ozeki working his way up the ranks though.

There's no doubt dude works his rear end off and I'll watch his stuff for outside the basho coverage that we don't really get anywhere else,

Sir Mat of Dickie
Jul 19, 2012

"There is no solitude greater than that of the samurai unless it be that of a tiger in the jungle... perhaps..."
NHK world's site is decent for watching ongoing tournaments, though that's only makuuchi. They also don't keep the videos up once the next tournament starts, which is also a big bummer. I remember a post from Kintamayama where he said that some rikishi (active or maybe retired by then) said he watched his channel to see his own past matches, which is a real indictment.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

MyChemicalImbalance posted:

Super weird vibes from that post, his solution seems to be "be Chris sumo" or "if you aren't Chris sumo, simp as hard as I did and hope for the best".

I'm still bummed over kinta and Jason, but I'll stick to not watching Chris. Here's hoping Giro's channel keeps improving.

Yeah it really feels like that and I guess it's the way to go. I guess if you're with a big media company like the BBC, ESPN or Sky Sports then you'd have a hell of an easier time than then people like Jason and Natto. It's a real shame because they're the ones exposing people to sumo and getting interest overseas. If there's nothing like that out there then my own personal interest will probably wane. As Ice Phisherman says, they're asking for piracy.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

I just skimmed the thread to get caught up so sorry if this got posted, but lots of kinta's stuff is here and seems to work. (I seem to have to clink a link twice to get it to start playing but that might be on my end)

https://archive.org/details/kintamayama

Threw on a 2011 basho, gently caress I forgot how much I loved Takanoyama. Gagamaru is a close second.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Welp, never say the bear isn’t up for some hard work…

https://twitter.com/nishonosekibeya/status/1627946729919356928

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Takayasu may want to reconsider that tradition of never washing one's practice mawashi.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I'm pretty sure Takayasu has a reputation for giving a lot of effort during practice.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

I wonder where Nishonoseki would line up on the banzuke these days? He still looks like he can go and he's probably healthier than he's been in god knows how long. At 36, he's not ridiculously old though still probably past his prime. Could he still walk into that sanyaku mess?

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Was his injury ever properly fixed or is he still going to have a super weak left side?

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Shiroc posted:

Was his injury ever properly fixed or is he still going to have a super weak left side?

Good question...I guess I just assumed he would have gotten it fixed at some point but if it's something that won't affect being a normal person and just prevents him from taking part in elite athletics I could see deciding not to get surgery for little benefit.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

I have to imagine major abdominal surgery is fairly risky for a huge dude like Nishonoseki so I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't get surgery once he retired.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

with these dudes having had time to heal up but still training it would be really interesting to see what would happen if you threw hakuho, kakuryu, goeido and kisenosato into the next basho

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
If it was Hakuho suddenly busting onto the dohyo for a single bout, I'm picking him immediately over anyone except Takakeisho and Terunofuji (once he's back, assuming he comes back healthy).

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I'd also pick one-year-and-change removed Hakuho over most top tier rikishi. You just know that guy still goes all out.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Goeido is an interesting one because he only quit because he didn't want to drop from ozeki. I could see him still being in the top division today if he had wanted to keep going. Probably would float between Tochinoshin and Takayasu as far as former ozeki.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Goeido promised himself he'd retire if he fell from ozeki and already had elder stock in hand, so he was fully prepared to step down.

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

If you're gonna have roads, you're gonna have roadkill.
Banzuke is out Monday.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Goeido can only come back if he wears his glasses and a business suit to the ring

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.
Banzuke up!

https://www.sumo.or.jp/EnHonbashoBanzuke/index/

Y/O looks the same, S/K still stacked as gently caress.

Juryo news:

Asanoyama J1E
Tochinoshin J2W
Ichinojo J3E

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Juryo is going to be amazing.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

Kuros posted:

Banzuke up!

https://www.sumo.or.jp/EnHonbashoBanzuke/index/

Y/O looks the same, S/K still stacked as gently caress.

Juryo news:

Asanoyama J1E
Tochinoshin J2W
Ichinojo J3E

Yeah! Hokuseiho up in Makuuchi!

Time to pick my dudes for Haru.

I'm gonna watch sumo with my new baby. She's coming halfway through Haru!

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Twitch replays will be the only way to watch then?

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Or hit up Natto's discord/find whatever youtube channel he uses this time around. He's never broken his stride when he's been DMCA'd

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

I'll admit I'm feeling sorta glum this basho with the mass striking of all of the classic channels. I'll probably end up using Natto, I'm just bummed out.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Is Midnight Sumo not gonna work or were they somehow delayed? I recall they had a big ABEMA sticker on their feed which I thought was an alternate provider, even if it's just basically the C-SPAN hard cameras in the dohyo or something.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Midnight Sumo is still good to go with Abema IIRC.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Kenning posted:

I'll admit I'm feeling sorta glum this basho with the mass striking of all of the classic channels. I'll probably end up using Natto, I'm just bummed out.

Between that and Tochi getting punted to Juryo, I'm bummed as well.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

I'm kinda more likely to try and catch some of Juryo through Midnight Sumo this basho whereas normally I've just watched Makuuchi and weirdly I think some of that is having wrestlers that I'm familiar with like Tochinoshin dropping down.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Liquid Communism posted:

Between that and Tochi getting punted to Juryo, I'm bummed as well.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Beeswax posted:

Or hit up Natto's discord/find whatever youtube channel he uses this time around. He's never broken his stride when he's been DMCA'd

Do you have a link or code to the discord?

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
Any word on Terunofuji yet? Does his inclusion in the banzuke mean he’s definitely in, or could he still announce he’s sitting out again?

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

Frankly, I hope he's still out. There's no way he's ready to compete yet after a surgery like that.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Ben Nerevarine posted:

Any word on Terunofuji yet? Does his inclusion in the banzuke mean he’s definitely in, or could he still announce he’s sitting out again?

Everyone is always on the banzuke. Coming off the banzuke is a permanent thing and the only way out is retirement. He could have had his leg amputated and still be on the banzuke until he officially retired.

Actually technically you can be injured for so long that you fall off the bottom and have to restart, but that doesn't really apply here.

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

If you're gonna have roads, you're gonna have roadkill.
If Teru is still out I'd have pretty high expectations for the hamster to promote.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

https://twitter.com/SumoFollower/status/1630152192194748418

Hakuko kinda checked Hokuseiho a bit.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

I was looking for news on Tobizaru being back in sanyaku and came across this fascinating collection of photos of rikishi from 2002 and 2003: https://www.charlesfreger.com/portfolio/rikishi/
I know I spotted a young Hokutofuji and an even younger Tobizaru (:eyepop:)--maybe you folks who've been following the sport for longer can ID more.

This one guy, though...I feel like I know who he is, but I can't place him.

You'd think with that brow and hairline, he'd be easy to find. Google Lens most unhelpfully put big man-tits together with blue mawashi and said "This must be Akua!" :dumb:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

:unsmith:
Is that Akiseyama? I didn't think I'd recognize Tobizaru but I got him straight away lmao great find, some real good shots in there.