Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Khanstant posted:

Judgement and Lost Judgement are so so good, and I like Yagami but he is no Kiryu or Michigan.

lol autocorrect

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
say what you will about yagami but he's certainly never michigan

Solenna
Jun 5, 2003

I'd say it was your manifest destiny not to.

Mulva posted:

Going back to 7 and man, Ichiban Ka when the credits pop still loving demolishes me.

This inspired me to go look up a translation of the lyrics which makes the song make way more sense in context. Otherwise it is bafflingly upbeat musically considering what happened immediately beforehand.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

worms butthole guy posted:

I never beat 7, I should probably do that. I quit when

nanba did his heel turn after you meet the koreans

Felt like that was extremely out of place and got mad and never played again.

This is absolutely the dumbest section of the game but after it's over its basically never mentioned again so you can kinda pretend it didn't happen

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Wolfsheim posted:

This is absolutely the dumbest section of the game but after it's over its basically never mentioned again so you can kinda pretend it didn't happen

It wouldn’t be a yakuza game without at least one plot beat to describe this way

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

How can you call that the dumbest section of the game when Mirror Face exists

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Dr. Cool Aids posted:

say what you will about yagami but he's certainly never michigan

Oh my god a Yakuza/Isshin game set in USA featuring existing character models recast as American history figures, retelling history through the Yakuza game lens.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Khanstant posted:

Oh my god a Yakuza/Isshin game set in USA featuring existing character models recast as American history figures, retelling history through the Yakuza game lens.

Going off of “number of civil wars during administration” I suppose you have to cast daigo as Lincoln but it doesn’t feel right

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Its a stretch how Zhao and Seung give the most antagonistic entrances possible, and a few hours later youre buddy buddy with them, no hard feeling.

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Wolfsheim posted:

That is really good to know because yeah, it was horrible.

Solenna
Jun 5, 2003

History Comes Inside! posted:

At least Ichiban punching the Adachi who knew more about traffic law was hilarious

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.
the game desperately wants a reason for you to fight your party members, and it will pull out all the stops to do it.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Did anything in 6 matter outside of introducing Joon-gi Han and the Ono Michio guy?

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Pocket Racer lore

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

He’s a trooper card. According to the producer they wanted to put him in but realized that he would never under any circumstances be a cop.
ichiban is #1

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I just realized that apparently troopers are removed from your Trooper List after you fuse them (and just go back to "???????"). That kinda sucks. I was hoping it was the sort of thing where I could complete the "pokedex" of them while still using them to give XP to other characters.

Is there any benefit to holding onto troopers? There's a virtue reward to increase the amount you can hold to 100+, but why would you want to do this?

The Lone Badger posted:

Anyone know where I can get Cloudy Hand Mirrors? I need to make lots of Ivory Swords for Element Seals

Wait, do specific swords have a higher chance of randomly spawning certain seals? I haven't done enough crafting to get a feel for this.

I need to grind up my smithing level later, since once I get it high enough I have the materials to upgrade the Jelly Sword I got from all my gambling, which apparently gives some boost to item drop rates (and also just does significantly more damage). It'll also be a good excuse to use one of my high rank hammers, since there'll be just one upgrade and I think the Jelly Sword I got from gambling was base rarity.

I also got the Golden Gun from gambling, which actually doesn't do quite as much damage as I expected from its listed damage number. It's still good, but doesn't seem that much higher than my previous rapid fire gun with only ~1/4 the damage. The heat bonuses are nice, though (and I'm guessing always apply?).

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

He’s a trooper card. According to the producer they wanted to put him in but realized that he would never under any circumstances be a cop.

They should have replaced the inn girl with Ichiban.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Feb 26, 2023

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

These dang shinsengumi and their tests, can just one of them not test me??

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

"Not everything has to be a test"

Heh, so you say...

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

History Comes Inside! posted:

This is bad but it's at least part of the whole 'unraveling the conspiracy' main plot.

The part with Nanba leaving the party to rescue a brother you never see who the Koreans fake-killed but are actually really nice to and actually he chose to be homeless is not only dumb but such a big mandatory waste of time

Him coming back is a pretty cool scene though

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I enjoyed pushing his poo poo in when he teamed up with the bad guys and I was disappointed I had to let him back into the party.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

I liked that one woman ridiculous explanation for why the Satsuma general guy has an Osakan accent beyond just being played by Goda.

Who among us hasn’t faked a Kansai accent because of everyone expecting too much of us

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Nanba leaving the party is good because Ichiban talks about how in Dragon Quest when a party member leaves and comes back they usually have a cool new ability and Nanba is like "yeah ok check this out"

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

I liked that one woman ridiculous explanation for why the Satsuma general guy has an Osakan accent beyond just being played by Goda.

Who among us hasn’t faked a Kansai accent because of everyone expecting too much of us

I would've liked to have heard him try to put on a Kagoshima/Satsuma accent lol

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Feeling betrayed by (Ishin chapter 5, or 6 maybe, forget) Zhao doing a murder.

I like how Kiryu actually acknowledges the correct reasoning of the deserter guy ("Yeah I used connections and just thought it'd make me popular with the ladies, but I didn't want to be a loving murderer"). He might be a loser, but Kiryu recognizes that "a loser who doesn't want to do murders" is better than "a cool guy who does murders."

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

By god this game is triggering my brain worms something terrible

I’m still at the beginning of chapter 4 and I’m over 60% done with the diligence list :getin:

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

This game has harvest moon and every NPC ever has a social link you can raise, help me

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Ytlaya posted:

Feeling betrayed by (Ishin chapter 5, or 6 maybe, forget) Zhao doing a murder.

I like how Kiryu actually acknowledges the correct reasoning of the deserter guy ("Yeah I used connections and just thought it'd make me popular with the ladies, but I didn't want to be a loving murderer"). He might be a loser, but Kiryu recognizes that "a loser who doesn't want to do murders" is better than "a cool guy who does murders."

Not too far past that but it does a really loving good job of raising the stakes and making you understand that these guys suck and everyone hates them for a reason and if they find out Kiryus a spy/traitor which given how stories work they definitely will make you understand just how deep poo poo he’s in. Every sentence since then I’m analyzing for them figuring out who kiryu is and what their motives are. Its really good.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN
This cat gave me shunga. Does it actually do anything? You can "Use" it but it doesn't seem to raise your heat or heal you or whatever.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

man nurse posted:

By god this game is triggering my brain worms something terrible

I’m still at the beginning of chapter 4 and I’m over 60% done with the diligence list :getin:

im at chapter 5 and almost completed the second house fully with all the upgrades

protip: spending a shitload of money at once gives you a shitload of virtue

Solenna
Jun 5, 2003

Well that's the (Y:LAD) Final Millennium Tower done. The Orbital Laser is much less fun when it's being used against you.

Time for the very last set of fights! even more Mahjong.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Just found out that I can get the hat already, so I'm gonna do that soon and start sidequesting and oh dear the shinsengumi are nuts

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
i like Ishin alot so far, (on chapter 2) the only issue i have is that apperently Sakamoto Ryōma has batman levels of "they totaly arnt dead even though i use a sword and gun". ;like in the other games it works because of who the characters are and the weird insane poo poo, plust modern times etc. but with this its just weird.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I have removed their entire bloodstream and replaced it with poison. We saw this being done in detail. Now they're going to apologise and walk off.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Read that as replacing their entire bloodstream with prison and nodded.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Honestly don’t think there’s a significant difference between shooting a dude a bunch but he’s totally not dead in 1860 and throwing a dude off a building which makes him stop being suicidal in 2010.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i like Ishin alot so far, (on chapter 2) the only issue i have is that apperently Sakamoto Ryōma has batman levels of "they totaly arnt dead even though i use a sword and gun". ;like in the other games it works because of who the characters are and the weird insane poo poo, plust modern times etc. but with this its just weird.
one thing i appreciate about yakuza like a dragon is how it ignores that poo poo.
like, yeah, the combat just finished with a freeze-frame of ryoma literally plunging his sword hilt-deep into the chest of a man while yelling, but the next scene is all of my opponents sitting on the ground grumbling and dropping a colour-coded item and i, as a player, intuitively understand that this combat is not part of the story but part of the game that i am playing and prefer that there is no overly-laboured diegetic answer as to how ryoma is constantly using the flat of his sword or whatever.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Guns and swords aren't that dangerous, see?
https://twitter.com/morningmoonmeme/status/1630000031301263360

the kick in the balls is what did this dude in

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Swords are only dangerous in cutscenes everyone knows this

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

This is why hes number 1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
They shoulda just put Ichiban in a substory as a senbei merchant.