Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

Haha I know what you mean, I ran into the same dilemmas with Proust. I know I'm not getting the same experience as a native speaker, but these are my favorite books I've ever read, so I don't actually care, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

StrixNebulosa posted:

I can access it, thank you!

There's something truly interesting about reading about translations, speaking of. I only know English but the art of it has drawn me for ages, and I can feel the difference in certain novels - I read a book translated from German once, and it had a different-yet-similar uncanny valley effect while reading, and it was completely different from a Japanese mystery novel I read (damned if I can remember the title or whodunnit, but I remember it was donnit with some kind of speakers or audio trick), and then Dostoyevsky (Crime and Punishment still resonates) and 2666 and onwards.

If the art of translation interests you, you'd really enjoy Le Ton Beau de Marot by Douglas Hofstadter. It's English language, despite the title, and like almost all his books ranges widely but the main theme is about the mystery and beauty of translation, in theory and in practice, set around a framing device of the challenges and solutions to translating a little trifle of a poem from French into English and how he and dozens of his friends and colleagues tackled the issue. I promise it's far more fascinating than my brief summary.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

regulargonzalez posted:

If the art of translation interests you, you'd really enjoy Le Ton Beau de Marot by Douglas Hofstadter. It's English language, despite the title, and like almost all his books ranges widely but the main theme is about the mystery and beauty of translation, in theory and in practice, set around a framing device of the challenges and solutions to translating a little trifle of a poem from French into English and how he and dozens of his friends and colleagues tackled the issue. I promise it's far more fascinating than my brief summary.

Oh I am absolutely picking that up when I can. Thank you!

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Rereading my post and holy hell is that one clunker of a run-on sentence in there. Good thing I read better than I write.

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
https://fitzcarraldoeditions.com/books/this-little-art

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I'm home sick but I have Tenosynovitis so I can't just read. Sucks.

But I have a trial subscription to some audio book thing through Foodora of all places so I guess I need to try that.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I’ve been using GoodReads for years now but as it’s been bought by Amazon and seems to be functionally stagnant I thought I might switch.

Is there is a goon recommendation platform? I really just need to keep track of what I’ve read, want to read, some recommendations. Also obviously a way to import from GoodReads is a must.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
LibraryThing has much less clueless recommendation algorithm than GR.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Red_Fred posted:

I’ve been using GoodReads for years now but as it’s been bought by Amazon and seems to be functionally stagnant I thought I might switch.

Is there is a goon recommendation platform? I really just need to keep track of what I’ve read, want to read, some recommendations. Also obviously a way to import from GoodReads is a must.

thestorygraph is good. it’s easy to import books via ISBN if they’re missing, and the social bit is really downplayed compared to goodreads. you can add a challenge if you’re so inclined (like X
books a year) etc. not sure if the recommendations are better or worse than goodreads because I never use those

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Red_Fred posted:

StoryGraph has really improved over the last few months. Their recommendations get a little off and need to be refreshed, but everything else is streamlined.

edit: You can import GoodReads info, but it ended up being a lot of work to fix details, like which edition I read. That was a year ago, though, so maybe it’s more efficient.

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Feb 13, 2023

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

Pubes dreaded out so hoes call me Chris Barnes. I don't wear a condom at the pig farm.
Could I have a link to the Book Barn discord please? The link posted earlier is dead.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

I think I busted the screen on my kobo. :(

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
I don't find reading ebooks on my phone to be too unbearable, apart from the risk of draining the battery.

samcarsten
Sep 13, 2022

by vyelkin
has anyone ever done a lets read of that horrible tom kratman book, Watch on the Rhine?

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
https://forums.sufficientvelocity.com/threads/lets-read-watch-on-the-rhine-by-tom-kratman.52407/

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

this is pretty good news https://www.nytimes.com/2023/02/21/books/harpercollins-strike-ends.html

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Are there some good books that have the same themes as Frankenstein? Internet suggested Do Androids Dream…, which I’ve read once when I was a teen, but I don’t remember if it really qualifies

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
What themes are you liking?

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Responsibility in creating new life, irresponsible use of new technology, playing God

I know Jurassic Park is a homage but I don’t know if I could get away with using it- I want to give some options for my Senior English class next year

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Island of Dr.Moreau, not creating but fighting against nature using science to try and uplift animals into humanity

The invention of Morel, preserving rather than creating life. A scientist captures a small three day gathering into an endless loop on a deserted island in the Atlantic.

Cat's Cradle man steals the power of God to end itself without valuing that power and destroys itself.

There's a lot of more direct doctor creates man stories but a more unorthodox angle to contrast against seems more useful to me.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
A few classic sci-fi recommendations.

Blood Music by Greg Bear is about intelligent nanotech. It’s a better short story than novel, where the ending is a bit too kind and happy, but it’s the kind of flaw that could make for good discussion.

City by Clifford Simak is a series of short stories that slowly fit your theme. Mankind gives intelligence to a couple species, almost accidentally. And then leaves.

Startide Rising by David Brin is about a universe that is filled with aliens uplifting species to intelligence in exchange for a millions years of slavery.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Professor Shark posted:

Responsibility in creating new life, irresponsible use of new technology, playing God

I know Jurassic Park is a homage but I don’t know if I could get away with using it- I want to give some options for my Senior English class next year

Microcosmic God by . . . Clifford D. Simak? Maybe? Is the story you're looking for.

Edit : it's by Theodore Sturgeon

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

UwUnabomber posted:

Could I have a link to the Book Barn discord please? The link posted earlier is dead.

https://discord.gg/6E6qkgPJ

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Microcosmic God by . . . Clifford D. Simak? Maybe? Is the story you're looking for.

Edit : it's by Theodore Sturgeon
And another short story along the same lines: Crystal Nights by Greg Egan

https://www.gregegan.net/MISC/CRYSTAL/Crystal.html

zone
Dec 6, 2016
Excuse me, but is it alright to post about recommending historical fiction in the history books thread?

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Professor Shark posted:

Are there some good books that have the same themes as Frankenstein? Internet suggested Do Androids Dream…, which I’ve read once when I was a teen, but I don’t remember if it really qualifies

you could try Frankenstein in Baghdad

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Flying an entire class to another country just to read a novel seems like a very poor use of school funds.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I've grown to appreciate the fact that there are only three* publishers who put out about 100% of all English-language books. It means they're mostly one of about half a dozen "standard" sizes, and this goes back some decades. This makes them very easy to shelve, as long as you keep them separate.

*) Is that correct? I think that's correct.

rollick
Mar 20, 2009
I was transporting some books from my old office to my house, and I put them in a suitcase.

I don't know how much a suitcase full of books weighs, but it surprised me with how heavy it was.

I feel like you could probably get a full body workout just by squatting, lifting and pressing bags full of books instead of kettlebells or w/e

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

rollick posted:

I was transporting some books from my old office to my house, and I put them in a suitcase.

I don't know how much a suitcase full of books weighs, but it surprised me with how heavy it was.

I feel like you could probably get a full body workout just by squatting, lifting and pressing bags full of books instead of kettlebells or w/e

When I moved the second time I did it alone, carrying boxes full of books two at a time from the seventh floor to the van, and then up to (another) seventh floor. My last move, twenty years later, not only myself but all of the others who helped me move were wheezing and complaining because I'd filled up entire boxes with books - and everything was on the ground floor. Moral of the story: don't get old, also hire movers. (Also, seventh-floor apartments used to be cheaper for some reason?)

e: When I say box, I mean these:

ee: You don't carry them like in the photo, that would be dangerous!
eee: ...and you wouldn't fit through doorways.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

how many books can you bench, bro

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Enfys posted:

how many books can you bench, bro

*flexes massively thicc ears* "Audiobooks, brah."

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

I only ever fill the boxes half with books, then top them off with random poo poo that doesn't weigh a ton.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Carthag Tuek posted:

I only ever fill the boxes half with books, then top them off with random poo poo that doesn't weigh a ton.

"Where do you want all these boxes labelled, uhh... 'BOOKS AND BAD DRAGONS AND ANIME AND SILLY PATTERNED SOCKS AND BEANIE BABYS'?"

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

p much yea

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
Just buy smaller boxes. The last time I moved I had like a hundred of the small box size from Home Depot, and only a few larger ones.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
Somewhat book related, I spent the weekend making this while my sick kids played games and watched movies and had an absolute joy to the point where I immediately ordered six more. At only ~$45 a piece, the detail inside is mindblowing, and they give a fun illusion of a hollow book as you walk by my shelves.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

lifg posted:

Just buy smaller boxes. The last time I moved I had like a hundred of the small box size from Home Depot, and only a few larger ones.

Sure but using the boxes we've had in the family for five decades is free

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
i'm both impressed and irrationally consternated that the telescope isn't pointed out of the diorama into the room

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

SniperWoreConverse posted:

i'm both impressed and irrationally consternated that the telescope isn't pointed out of the diorama into the room

lol I wanted to do exactly that but the wooden pieces only have paint on one side of them, so if you turn things too much it breaks the "illusion" of the diorama.