Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deathslinger
Jul 12, 2022

The weather is terrible outside. Torrential rain and gale-force winds galore.

And here I am, on my day off, treating myself to a lie-in, with a fully-stocked fridge and snack drawer, safe in the knowledge that the hardest decision I will have to make today involves deciding what to watch on Netflix. :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MagpieConcept
Feb 6, 2022

Got a little part time job while I'm in college that has been surprisingly nice and fulfilling. Even when it's insanely busy, it helps me appreciate the downtime more. It's also chill about breaks and eating on the clock when it slows down, which none of my previous jobs have been okay with.

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk
I took part in the DigiPen Colloquium on Accessibility in Gaming yesterday and it was a massive success (in my opinion anyways)

I managed to get through an entire hour of being in the spotlight alongside two blind accessibility advocates, a project audio director at Microsoft and the Microsoft director of accessibility Xbox without making a fool of myself.
They were even super grateful for my participation and input so I count it as a massive win.

I did my part to raise awareness of photo-sensitive epilepsy and I'm really hoping this event has enabled me to secure some high profile contacts at Microsoft so I can spread the word even wider.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
lotta things have been going right.

it's 27°f outside, and thanks to getting blown-in insulation and insulated siding installed, as well as major repairs done to all the window frames while the siding was off, I have my space heater on in my room set to 72 degrees and it's tripped exactly once in the last two hours. before the insulation and siding, it would trip, turn off for 5 minutes or so, and then trip again, rinse and repeat. our heating bills over the last few years have been anywhere from 500-800 dollars a month due to the house being about as heat-retaining as a colander is water-retaining. I am eager to see what the heating bills are for december/january/february. I have a feeling we'll be saving 80% or more per month on heating costs, and I'm sure the electric bill will go down too with not having to power the space heater much anymore. No drafts in my room anymore either, words can't describe this feeling of finally fixing the house I grew up in that was always so drafty and run down.

I'd been having significant anxiety about the midterms. I tried to tune out but got reminded of it from multiple directions, so just tried to temper myself and figure out what would happen if the worst case scenario occurred. instead, these midterms, so far, have been incredibly heartening(except for florida, gently caress you florida) and make me think that maybe the US won't balkanize within the next couple years. Learning that a lot of this was only made possible because Zoomers came out in force and were overwhelmingly democratic(millenials apparently skewed +2 dem currently, while zoomers are +33 dem) gave me a lot more hope for this country than I previously had. It's still a shitshow, but the future doesn't look quite so dark. A bunch of state legislatures flipping to D for the first time in half a century or more is another nice thing. Not everything went well, but it's about as good as I could have imagined since there hasn't been a midterm this good for a standing president's party since GWB in 2002 riding high off of 9/11 patriotism.

work is going decently, and my lovely supervisor who does nothing if she can avoid it is somewhere else or on vacation or some poo poo, replaced by a go-getter who I've had to tell him to calm down a bit and not overwork himself. but he actually responds to my requests instead of ignoring them and keeps the package jams broken so stuff doesn't back up, which has made workflow SO MUCH SMOOTHER. unfortunately he's not the new permanent supervisor, just a standin for now, but he'll be the new lead sup so he'll be wandering around the area anyways. Peak Season looms on the horizon(I work at UPS) and they're adding an additional load to my work area, but I believe they're also giving me a helper to deal with that, and that's a BIG deal. I NEVER get help. they assume since I'm so good at my job that I'll work through even the toughest volume eventually, which sucks to be considered "that good" at your job but it just results in being taken advantage of. but having a helper will take such a load off my shoulders even with the increased holiday volume, I'm not really dreading peak season anymore. well, that's not true, it always sucks. but it will hopefully be a bit less sucky.

my dogs are wonderful and my finances aren't poo poo for the first time in a while and I got all the coins my stepdad left my mom back from the graders, and they almost all came back at seriously good grades(MS, Mint State, one tier below the best possible grade) which means we should be able to put a serious dent in the loan I took out to get the siding done after I'm done selling them.

Barring unforeseen troubles, life is mostly good now, for the first time in a long time. No girlfriend atm and most of my friends are long distance at this point, but I'm working on those. most dating sites seem real worthless ever since OKC got decimated though.

GoodyTwoShoes
Oct 26, 2013
I walked all the way to FedEx and back without getting short-of-breath or going below "stroll" for the first time since COVID-19 started. It's about 2 blocks each way. I even made my photocopies without asking for help.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

e: wrong thread!

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

Big Super Slapstick Hunk

SerthVarnee posted:

I took part in the DigiPen Colloquium on Accessibility in Gaming yesterday and it was a massive success (in my opinion anyways)

I managed to get through an entire hour of being in the spotlight alongside two blind accessibility advocates, a project audio director at Microsoft and the Microsoft director of accessibility Xbox without making a fool of myself.
They were even super grateful for my participation and input so I count it as a massive win.

I did my part to raise awareness of photo-sensitive epilepsy and I'm really hoping this event has enabled me to secure some high profile contacts at Microsoft so I can spread the word even wider.

I have a treat for you guys today.
A video recording of the DigiPen Colloquium on Accessibility in Gaming featuring myself and 4 other very valuable panelists.
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1MUYbqcZHM8pAYNQ4NGDRJYdcgvtVZrPI?usp=sharing

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Found some merch for one of my favorite anime series that didn't require ordering online and it was half off the already clearance price.

Chase Derringer
Jun 19, 2011

Hello! Ma baby
Hello! Ma honey
Hello! Ma *SKREEEEEEEEEEE*
Lipstick Apathy
I’ve discovered I’m not cis in the last year, and I’ve found a name that I’m happy with. Everyone I’ve told so far has been extremely supportive, and I’m excited to exist on my own terms, finally.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Congrats! Live your best life!

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Huzzah on the happy transition!

My awesome is extremely trivial by comparison, but hey.
I live in a pretty old house, and we have a regular problem with the internal door locks having broken springs, which makes the latches not work, so the doors won't stay shut. It just got really cold, and this one door 100% could not be kept shut because there was also a terrible draft. So we took the lock apart, and surprise surprise, not only is the original feather spring/rim lock spring broken, it had at some point been 'replaced' with an old corset spring, which in turn had broken.
The proper springs are quite hard to get, so weird substitutions (like corset springs) are not unexpected - I fixed one lock before with a spring from a hair clip. Anyway, we finally fixed the current broken lock with a nail-file, which was heated and bent into the approximate shape of a feather spring.

Finally the door stays shut!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
The last few days have been the first truly big test of the home repairs and new siding and insulation that I had done on my ancient house. Before, the laundry room was a goddamned heat vampire, you could feel the wind through the walls and eventually we just hung multiple thick blankets in the doorway separating it from the rest of the house to reduce heat loss. It was so bad that we feared the pipes to the washing machine would burst from freezing despite being indoors.

I went in there a little while ago. Just as warm as the rest of the house, which is staying at a steady 74 degrees. It's a good feeling, I'd gotten so used to the rickety old place being about as heat-retaining as a colander, but now there's basically no draft at all(besides from the back door, which needs to be replaced anyways)

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Not today but last night.

The mother of one of the girls I teach after-school English to baked some Castella and so the girl brought some in for the class.

It's a small thing, but these little acts of kindness/appreciation feel loving awesome.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
The growth I was panicking over a few weeks ago is not cancer, just a cherry angioma. The doctor was super nice, everything is healing fine, she even complimented my tattoos when doing the final check yesterday.

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

Big Super Slapstick Hunk
I got the opportunity to help a homeless guy yesterday. Asked me very politely for help paying for his hostel stay and as we walked to an ATM so I could help him out, I asked him about the monthly cost of staying there and whether that included regular meals. Since it wasn't included I ended up handing him enough cash to get by for a little while there plus pay for the whole month of having somewhere warm and dry to sleep.
Spent the rest of the day feeling warm and fuzzy about having the chance to help someone out like that.

For reference its like -10C outside and is expected to stay that way for at least a week. Pretty sure I made that guy's day, I know he certainly made mine.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

This is really Saturday not today but I completed my goal of the year to run a marathon every month. As the year went on I got more and more anxious about catching covid and getting so close to completing the goal but failing at the end due to illness. That didn't happen though and I have now managed to bag what is a pretty decent effort.

I promptly caught covid at an xmas party literally the evening of the day I reached my goal

MagpieConcept
Feb 6, 2022

I realized today I went from being "the introvert who gets adopted by extroverts" to the exact opposite. Hit me that I was dragging a shy friend to an event where we both didn't know anyone and I was the one introducing him, encouraging him to hang out, hanging back to talk to him etc. That was a pretty dope realization considering 5 years ago I was too shy and scared to even eat food in the college cafeteria. :shobon:

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

MagpieConcept posted:

I realized today I went from being "the introvert who gets adopted by extroverts" to the exact opposite. Hit me that I was dragging a shy friend to an event where we both didn't know anyone and I was the one introducing him, encouraging him to hang out, hanging back to talk to him etc. That was a pretty dope realization considering 5 years ago I was too shy and scared to even eat food in the college cafeteria. :shobon:

That's very cool. What changed for you? Was it a conscious effort?

MagpieConcept
Feb 6, 2022

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

That's very cool. What changed for you? Was it a conscious effort?

I think a mix - partially a conscious effort (going to therapy, exposing myself to crowds which I was phobic of for a long time) as well as just doing more and more things on my own. I used to only leave my house if I absolutely needed to, but I guess at some point I found socializing and traveling to be genuinely enjoyable instead of just having a lot of vague anxiety over it. Like now instead of going "Oh there's an art store near here, cool" I'll just get up and go to it.

I think the biggest thing is just breaking my own routine. It's easy to just do the same thing over and over forever, so actually taking the effort to get out there really helps even if it's just to do something small.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

That’s honestly super great and I’m happy for you!

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Live your best life and helps others do the same! Mad props for the personal growth!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I had a heart CT scan because I figured after having a heart incident at work a couple years back, my stepdad dying of a sudden heart attack, my family having a history of high blood pressure on one side and low blood pressure on the other, and my uncle dying of massive heart failure at 55, I might as well just have some tests done to see if there's anything wrong with my heart, arteries, all that jazz, just in case. so I requested a CT scan of my heart(and rest of the torso since it gets that in the process I guess).

Heart, perfect. no abnormalities, no polyps, no enlargement, no fluttering, no malformations, a completely standard heart. arteries, nothing. no plaque, no calcification, completely clear, nothing perceptible showed up on the scans, perfectly healthy.

this brings me a huge amount of relief. Plus, as it was a torso scan, the doctor in charge also included the note that I have a hiatal hernia, where the stomach pushes through the diaphragm. This could be what has caused me such serious acid reflux and stomach acid going up my esophagus and/or into my windpipe over the years, and I never knew because I've never had a scan of any sort done before. So now I might be able to solve some long-term problems I've had, that are unrelated to the initial goals of the test. Very good!

It might be worth talking to a doctor about getting stuff scanned if you can and have never had anything done. The peace of mind from finding out everything is normal with my heart, as well as the knowledge that there's something going with my stomach being places it shouldn't, is incredibly valuable to me and was well worth the $150 cost to have it done. And it took more time to actually pay that than it did to have the drat scan done because they just changed the payment processing system at the hospital.

Captain Invictus has a new favorite as of 12:17 on Dec 18, 2022

Cat Ass Trophy
Jul 24, 2007
I can do twice the work in half the time
I know some people would post this in the lovely day thread, but our flight was cancelled Friday night and there are no flights available on any airline until Sunday night. So no 3 day Xmas trip to go somewhere I really don't want to go and see people I am not in the mood to see. We simply showed up at the airport, saw the cancellation notice come up on the app, and left to get ice cream.

Added bonus: Got $1500 refund from the airline for the unused flights.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I think everyone secretly daydreams about that around Christmas to one degree or another, even if you do want to go. Hell yeah good for you :cool:

GoodyTwoShoes
Oct 26, 2013
Got my duck's skin nicely crispy (stuffed with apples and plums). Bourbon sweet potatos. Acorn squash. StoveTop stuffing cuz I'm too lazy to make scratch stuffing for one whole person. Pumpkin muffin from a restaurant, cuz I'm allergic to both pumpkin and cinnamon so I definitely don't want a whole pie to myself. AND I got the green glass dish I've been wanting for my bathroom. Later, I'm going to watch a crazily violent movie. Not being on speaking terms with your relatives makes for a great Xmas Day. :D

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

I was recently diagnosed with celiac disease. I am also vegan by choice. The local Walmart actually has a pretty decent gluten free section, and a lot of it is also vegan.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Finally told my mother that my stepdad is a gross abusive idiot and seeing us and the kids requires no him. It feels so loving liberating. Best holiday.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

I work two jobs, 30 hours at one and 16 to 20 at the other. I have one day off a week and I spend six hours of that running a D&D campaign. I'm at the end of four days off from both jobs and DMing duties. Caught up on my reading, played some video games, ate like a trash panda, and most importantly, slept in. Feeling relaxed and refreshed.

-Zydeco-
Nov 12, 2007

After a series of pet adoptions that didn't pan out due to me being unable to provide good enough care I finally got two kittens and everything is perfect.

They follow me around the house, sleep snuggled up to me every night in bed, and I've spoiled them rotten.

Mahi

Rava

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
Back in September of this year I bought this painting because it creeped me out.

No real signature, but in the lower right there's this "logo"

Last night, I get recommended this on YouTube, which has one of the greatest album covers I have ever seen, and I dig the music, too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-Uio61GGwM

So I look up the band, find their Facebook page, and they have the original art for the album cover in a post.

This morning, I wake up, look across the room at the painting above and it clicks. poo poo, that's the same artist for both. They had his name on the post, Adam Burke. Start looking, find his Instagram & Facebook with samples of his other work, same logo on a bunch of them. Guy has done a few album covers for metal bands and a bunch of other creepy poo poo. So now I have an actual name to go with the painting. Doesn't mean it's worth anything, but I love weird coincidences like this.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Local fresh produce shop had nearly everything i needed and then some, and in huge quantities per bag, on their 'about to go bad only $1' shelf so i got a shitton of food to prep for the freezer for only a few dollars 😌

take that, galen weston jr

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

My nearly 80-year old Da ( who looks about 65ish) had to go in for an MRI because on the last scan he had, they saw something weird on one of his kidneys.
Turns out to be basically a freckle that they will have another look at in 6 months but there is no real fear that it'll be anything terrible.
Dude still has most of his hair and it's still at least 50% black. He had a little prostate cancer a few years ago, but it was the kind that could be treated very lightly with none of the horrible side effects of chemo. He had some radiotherapy and a bit of medication, and that was it.

Dude had a lung aneurysm a couple of years ago that manifested as a bit of a pain in his chest, he was hospitalized while they treated it with medication to dissolve it. They kept him in for a week, and when he came home, the advice was that he keep to very gentle exercise for 6 months. The day he came home, I met him coming up to the house on his bike after having a little tour around the town. He was 100% back to normal after he came home from hospital. They are still trying to work out where the clots are coming from, hence the scans.

Quite possibly, the source of the clots is his left leg, that got absolutely spaghettied in a motorcycle accident in 2013, when he had to have the whole leg reassembled with a lot of bolts and plates after a major motorcycle accident. He was advised to stay off his leg as much as possible for at least 6 months. One month later, he was climbing up the 2 flights of stairs in our house and literally bending the bolts holding his leg together.
As it happened, the bent bolts made his leg heal better than they would have done otherwise, but even so, my Da is a goddam idiot.
He's a crazy lucky idiot, but still an goddamn idiot.

I am glad he is a stupid lucky idiot, even though it drives me nuts that he is so drat dumb.

Pookah has a new favorite as of 22:04 on Jan 7, 2023

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret
I am proud to say that my boss was fired today. Out of a cannon. Because she is a clown.

2022 was an awful year and I could not be any happier.

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

Big Super Slapstick Hunk
Whoop whoop! My epilepsy blog just got officially added to the Microsoft accessibility links collection!
https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/gaming/accessibility/developer-resources
Under the "blogs" section, which they apparently added specifically to fit my site in.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

I hadn't heard back from a local museum I had donated some historical artifacts to a while back, so I emailed their exhibits coordinator to ask if he had put them on display, and he wrote back to let me know that the museum now has hardware from mission control in Houston that was used during the Apollo program during the moon landings in a display case with my name on it.

I'm also now a VIP at the museum and can just wander in at any time for free. I'm primarily focused on finding a job now, but I know I can't talk about something like this and not share pictures, so I'll get some next time I'm there

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
Both of those are particularly awesome!

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
My friend told me she was going out on a date for Vietnamese food with this guy.

I told her I hope she has pho-n.

Jokes to yourself own even if nobody else notices. Gonna be laughing myself to sleep tonight.

It's pronounced "fun." :lol:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
My blood pressure is down to a reasonable level, at one point I was sometimes hitting 150 over 95 which is definitely no good, but after starting amlodipine I'm hitting 125-140 over 75-85 consistently. much better. I've also lost six pounds and I'm not sure why, maybe it's related. no side effects from the amlodipine either. with the blood pressure lowering and the previous post about how my cardiologist did a CT scan and found zero abnormalities, plaque, buildup, anything in my heart and arteries, I'm feeling much less stressed about my health.

Pomme de Terror
Sep 30, 2021

Well, one of us must have killed him!
Was afraid partner's car was dead and would have to be replaced, but she is alive and well! :woop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Pomme de Terror posted:

Was afraid partner's car was dead and would have to be replaced, but she is alive and well! :woop:

So happy to hear that!

I HAVE MY COLLEGE DEGREE

I CAN FINALLY SAY I HAVE A DEGREE