Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Wrong Dalk.

Dundalk is a dying sprawl of Baltimore full of pain and heroin. I spent much of my youth there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

bulletsponge13 posted:

Wrong Dalk.

Dundalk is a dying sprawl of Baltimore full of pain and heroin. I spent much of my youth there.

No poo poo, I grew up in Butchers Hill, and we all were glad that we weren't by Dundalk Marine Terminal.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

No poo poo, I grew up in Butchers Hill, and we all were glad that we weren't by Dundalk Marine Terminal.

Ha! I spent my first few years in Baltimore living right by the O'Donnell Heights projects in the city, then bounced around the Dundalk/Essex area.

Turns out, Baghdad felt much safer. Not because of the guns and armor, but because it made sense, where it felt like back home everything was arbitrary pain and fearful neglect.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

bulletsponge13 posted:

Ha! I spent my first few years in Baltimore living right by the O'Donnell Heights projects in the city, then bounced around the Dundalk/Essex area.

Turns out, Baghdad felt much safer. Not because of the guns and armor, but because it made sense, where it felt like back home everything was arbitrary pain and fearful neglect.

Probably much better food and coffee in Baghdad, too.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?

BIG HEADLINE posted:

One of the biggest shocks of my life was someone recommending this bougie little place called Joanna's Cafe in Dundalk. loving great food and coffee, though.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I will forever miss eating random Baghdad Street food. That's where I learned that sketchy means tasty. Plus, it was so abundant- back here, we will have food truck festivals- that is the norm there, just a street of random food vendors.

God drat, just made me nostalgic for the old market that I need to write about.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Baltimore has loving amazing food. Blue Moon, Obrycki's, Bo Brooks, Faidley's. Hausner's is closed now sadly.

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.

bulletsponge13 posted:

I will forever miss eating random Baghdad Street food. That's where I learned that sketchy means tasty. Plus, it was so abundant- back here, we will have food truck festivals- that is the norm there, just a street of random food vendors.

I got into a rabbit hole of youtube videos on Baghdad street food. After being raised on CNN footage of Baghdad in the mid 2000s, it is startling for me to see it as a very normal bustling city. Did deployed soldiers get a lot of chances to experience the local culture? It obviously isn't Okinawa but towards the tail-end of the American military presence, were there less restrictions or did you mainly stay in the compounds unless on patrol?

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Fragrag posted:

I got into a rabbit hole of youtube videos on Baghdad street food. After being raised on CNN footage of Baghdad in the mid 2000s, it is startling for me to see it as a very normal bustling city. Did deployed soldiers get a lot of chances to experience the local culture? It obviously isn't Okinawa but towards the tail-end of the American military presence, were there less restrictions or did you mainly stay in the compounds unless on patrol?
There isn't a solid answer.
Varies widely by unit, time, and place. Some units forbid it, some encouraged it, most just kind of had a hands off approach. My unit policy was it was building rapport, learning the territory, and being human. So long as security was set, and there were no pressing issues, we were allowed to buddy up and go grab a sandwich, or give a local cash to grab us something. The kids did their own version of Uber Eats, coming up, offering, then returning. The early days, when we were closer, it was easier and we had more freedom- we 'patrolled', but it was mostly driving around, being seen, and being around. In the early war, there was a lot of opportunity. As the war progressed, troops encountered less opportunities to experience it in situ, because we bunkered up into bases and rolling pillboxes further from communities. Early days? People would bring us treats. We lived in the neighborhoods we worked. America then made the Soviet mistake of focusing on sustaining an occupying force logistics with an desperate aversion to possible casualties. Instead of countering the enemy, we focused on keeping casualties out of the papers. Then patrolling became the drive from A to B looking to find an IED, so fewer opportunities for troops.

Some bases- most encampments larger than a Company- all would have vetted local vendors normally selling stolen PX poo poo and Bootleg DVDs, but some had local food stands- or so I was told.

I was extremely lucky- I got less than I wanted, but more than I deserved.

I feel gross, but I'll plug it anyway-
Last year, I began writing some of my experiences for the forum. If you aren't familiar, you might enjoy it. Fair warning- it's scans of hand written stories, like a mentally challenged Civil War journal!
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4002076&pagenumber=9&perpage=40

E- Baghdad was wonderful after we stabilized and the 'war' was over, and it began returning to normal. A lovely, low slung city full of vibrant noise and colorful characters. It was always hectic in a controlled casualness. Every neighborhood felt almost like a Kansas small town- the same, but not. I would get angry when people would bash the place- bitching is fine, but how could you hate the place? It was a dirty mess because of us, and the people still seemed to carry themselves with a dignified joy I don't see as much here.

bulletsponge13 fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Feb 23, 2023

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

bulletsponge13 posted:

Fragrag posted:

I felt jealous at the time that 4th ID (the invading force that we relieved for OIF2) was walking around in soft caps, driving to downtown Baqubah and eating street meat, and showing each other their confiscated AKs and other guns.

Meanwhile, 1ID came in and said PROFESSIONAL PROFESSIONAL PROFESSIONAL to everything, with full armor and Kevlar everywhere from day one, then we shot 4th ID's beer delivery guy while he was in line at the front gate for FOB Warhorse, and basically bunkered up while the insurgency caught fire and IEDs started going off everywhere.

Probably a little bit of cause and effect there, but I can't be too mad because

a) they actually fought the war to get to that patch of land, so I figure 4ID deserved some shamtime
b) we were a foreign invading force in a war with a made-up pretext, so I can't blame the Iraqis for wanting to blow us up
c) I was perfectly ok being a fobbit gently caress who went back a year later with way fewer stories than a warzone should give you, but also with all of my digits and relatively intact sleep patterns.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

GD_American posted:

I felt jealous at the time that 4th ID (the invading force that we relieved for OIF2) was walking around in soft caps, driving to downtown Baqubah and eating street meat, and showing each other their confiscated AKs and other guns.

Meanwhile, 1ID came in and said PROFESSIONAL PROFESSIONAL PROFESSIONAL to everything, with full armor and Kevlar everywhere from day one, then we shot 4th ID's beer delivery guy while he was in line at the front gate for FOB Warhorse, and basically bunkered up while the insurgency caught fire and IEDs started going off everywhere.

Probably a little bit of cause and effect there, but I can't be too mad because

a) they actually fought the war to get to that patch of land, so I figure 4ID deserved some shamtime
b) we were a foreign invading force in a war with a made-up pretext, so I can't blame the Iraqis for wanting to blow us up
c) I was perfectly ok being a fobbit gently caress who went back a year later with way fewer stories than a warzone should give you, but also with all of my digits and relatively intact sleep patterns.

There was a weird dichotomy between the guys who arrived during our first tour (feb 03/feb 04) and after. The guys who came in after our return were all motards, hyped up on Bush bullshit and Toby Keith. They would get offended at the idea that the locals wanted to kill us, and then would get indignant as allowed when we pointed out that we would be insurgents if the shoes were switched. They learned, but they had an attitude about the locals that needed correction and guidance. They could never quite grasp that the war was their Red Dawn, even when explained in those elementary terms.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
For all the poo poo that happened in Desert Storm, at least I never felt like I was an invader.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

bulletsponge13 posted:

There was a weird dichotomy between the guys who arrived during our first tour (feb 03/feb 04) and after. The guys who came in after our return were all motards, hyped up on Bush bullshit and Toby Keith. They would get offended at the idea that the locals wanted to kill us, and then would get indignant as allowed when we pointed out that we would be insurgents if the shoes were switched. They learned, but they had an attitude about the locals that needed correction and guidance. They could never quite grasp that the war was their Red Dawn, even when explained in those elementary terms.

I think the worst thing to happen to the military in the region at the time, besides Paul Bremer lodging his head firmly between his own asscheeks, was that 1ID had a major case of invasion blueballs. We pre-staged most of 1ID's equipment in Turkey during the buildup to the invasion, and were going to deploy as part of the invading force as a northern front. Turkey's Parliament voted it down, and we had to go gather up all our equipment and ship it back to Germany.

So by the time we hit the ground for OIF2, our division leadership had been stroking a warboner for 10 months and decided to show the rest of the Army how to soldier.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
lmao I know the military is scrambling for recruitment and making all kinds of concessions to let in all kinds of people, but I just got a Marine officer recruitment flyer. I'm 99% sure I am aged out of absolutely everything Marines-related, and have been for several years. Or did the Marines gut their standards too?

Or maybe the gubmint just has no idea how old I am, which is entirely possible too.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Dick Burglar posted:

lmao I know the military is scrambling for recruitment and making all kinds of concessions to let in all kinds of people, but I just got a Marine officer recruitment flyer. I'm 99% sure I am aged out of absolutely everything Marines-related, and have been for several years. Or did the Marines gut their standards too?

Or maybe the gubmint just has no idea how old I am, which is entirely possible too.

Or else they think you're old enough to have an 18-year-old kid by now.

Lord Awkward
Feb 16, 2012

Dick Burglar posted:

the perfect moment to pass on this youtube ad I was shown:

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

McGavin posted:

Or else they think you're old enough to have an 18-year-old kid by now.

Can't argue with that logic!

Lord Awkward posted:

:piss:

Jimmy Smuts
Aug 8, 2000

We had a 59 year old E-6 in my NCO Academy class. He was a Hawaiian Air National Guard Technician, so they had a lot of weird rules and standards since technicians are both military & government civilian at the same time or someshit, I'm guessing that's why he was still in. Guy could barely pass the PT test, I felt sorry for him.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Jimmy Smuts posted:

We had a 59 year old E-6 in my NCO Academy class. He was a Hawaiian Air National Guard Technician, so they had a lot of weird rules and standards since technicians are both military & government civilian at the same time or someshit, I'm guessing that's why he was still in. Guy could barely pass the PT test, I felt sorry for him.

does the USAF stop the age brackets at 41 or do they keep going?

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

https://twitter.com/thebiggestyee/status/1628472789521821699

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

GD_American posted:

does the USAF stop the age brackets at 41 or do they keep going?
I believe there’s been brackets over 50 as long as I’ve been in, but now they’re in 5 year increments unlike the 10 it used to be. Or the 17-29 one that was kind of a doozy.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Lord Awkward posted:

wheelchAIR ASSAULT!

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

Wrr posted:

M14: Delusions of Grarandeur

I'm stealing this for future use.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Wrr posted:

M14: Delusions of Grarandeur

Works poorly if you pronounce “Garand” like the man’s name.

Itchy_Grundle
Feb 22, 2003

Dick Burglar posted:

I'm positive it's a fuckup. My brother once received an Army recruiting pamphlet in the mail--addressed to his Cadet mailbox at USMA.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
That actually ties into the wrinkle I didn't mention: I'm old, but I'm also technically a university student. So I'm guessing it's just a blanket mailing to all university students.

Pretty funny that military academies would be included, but hey it's easier to just hit the Check All option and call it good.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
I kept getting mailings for nuclear submarine officer specifically when I was in grad school for physics.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I kept getting mailings for nuclear submarine officer specifically when I was in grad school for physics.

I got those too, the irony being that 1. I didn't graduate and 2. I had already served in the USAF and was in no way interested in being on a Navy ship for 6-8 months.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf
I had an Army recruiter chase me back to my car, after I went to my city's joint recruiting office and couldn't find the Navy guy.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I had a Marine Reserve recruiter call and not want to take no for an answer despite me telling him I was already in the ANG for two years at that point.I can get you out of that bro!”, then something that sounded like “You’ll make so little you’ll qualify for welfare!”

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Do you want cancer? Because this is how you get cancer.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CpImX3dsKd4/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

bulletsponge13 posted:

My former neighbor was a tanker in the 90s and told stories about idiots melting/burning their gear trying to get it dry this way. This seems the logical evolution.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Chipped tank paint mixed with exhaust-cooked bacon?

:vomarine:

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

I'm sure that NBC enamel bullshit they use is super cool for ingestion, too.

Wrong Theory
Aug 27, 2005

Satellite from days of old, lead me to your access code
A bunch of us took parts of the metal wiring off of a hesco and used it to hold food over our trash fire. Then our medic yelled at us for probably ingesting heavy metals, but that made us want to do it more :black101:

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Somebody come up with a new acronym for CARC that implies “tasty”.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Crispy, aromatic, rich, carcinogenic.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

bulletsponge13 posted:

In principle, turbine exhaust can be pretty clean, when compared to grilling on an open flame, but I would not want to ingest things coming out of that turbine when fed JP‑8 with all its additives.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
Posting just to remind myself of Pookbear's A bed pisser tries to get me to go die in Somalia thread that started here then moved to another subforumI think and the insane(ly long) pastebin that is the heart of the thread for bonus idiots content.

My favorite:

line 291-299 posted:

Mr Blue
Sounds like a good deal. Nice to hear specifics starting to be hashed out.
Mr White
Understood.
State law
But glad they fixed that before I left.
COMPANY UPDATE.
Sensei (dead serious) is currently producing the Basic Guard Orders and Manual to be distributed to all personnel.
We're working very hard on this. It's not all happening overnight, but it's getting closer, like a Sakura beginning to bloom, we can see a small hint of what is to come.