Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Played a bit of Ctrl Alt Ego during the weekend. I saw some people claim it was the best immersive sim in years, which I guess just means that immersive sims are a starved genre. It's...fine. The controls are floaty and the physics janky, and the "approach any way you want" gameplay seems to only give one or two options most of the time. Hacking and taking over enemy robots requires you to spend your most precious resource, which means that straight up combat is the most economic way to get through things, especially if you get the upgrade that turns scrap into ammo. Stealth is bad, mostly because of the aforementioned bad physics. I can't count the number of times I've teleported into a camera or something, and then got an alert an enemy attacked my main robot, because the robot continued sliding across the floor after I teleported out of it.

It's still an OK experience, but I'd suggest getting it on sale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

ymgve posted:

Played a bit of Ctrl Alt Ego during the weekend. I saw some people claim it was the best immersive sim in years, which I guess just means that immersive sims are a starved genre. It's...fine.

That was my experience too.

And yeah, it probably IS still the best one in years but only because there haven't been any others.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Whats the Wizard gameplay like in Gedonia? How doe sspell casting work? Most people I've seen talk about it seem to go for rogues or warrior types.

I wanna be a Wizard or a Witch, whatever wears a cool pointy hat, brimmed hat.

I would guess it's very powerful, at least the one follower I had briefly was wreaking havoc everywhere with his spells.

Read about mage builds primarily using lightning as main and then fire + take the magic overload skill from Arcane tree to the max and use it 3 times for maximum carnage (I had that one as well on my Dark Knight build). Look into joining the mage's guild as soon as you can for some epic relics (if it's anything like the warriors' guild).

However respeccing is so easy you can try different things out. 3 points in alchemy can craft the Oblivion potion and it only costs 1600 gold to buy anyway. Really maybe one thing I would've liked would be crafting skills be separate from the traditional skill points you gather and have progress in them some other way. Now I basically just specced into crafting to see what I need, then craft it and re-spec back.

Lakbay posted:

Thank you Gedonia posters for making me look up the game, I bought it and I've put about 6 hours into it and I'm having way more fun than I was expecting

Really at this point with so many people posting the exact same experience the tagline for the game should be "Gedonia - way more fun than you expected"

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Feb 26, 2023

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Gooses and Geeses posted:

... oh dear

My group (5 of us) saw her, and did the most human thing possible: ran over to her and beat her to death with the starter axes.

She showed no aggression and just pathed sideways from us. Now we know why.

Jesus Christ lol, why

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Ciaphas posted:

something humans something real monsters something

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Beating your nonhostile AI companion to death for having the wrong number of limbs

Strong cop energy

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

its like every time people mention that the cannibals in the original arent hostile by default and tons of folks are like "whaaaaaaat but i hit them with my axe on reflex"

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Gamers are monsters.
What else is new.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I once killed a nonhostile NPC in Outcast, but in my defense I had just gotten mauled by a bear trap, so when I saw the fucker who was setting traps in the distance I just started blasting.

Dr. Video Games 0069
Jan 1, 2006

nice dolphin, nigga
Perhaps the real monsters were the friends we made along the way.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

its like every time people mention that the cannibals in the original arent hostile by default and tons of folks are like "whaaaaaaat but i hit them with my axe on reflex"

I think they get mad if they see you cutting down trees though, which you kind of have to do if you want to build anything

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

Dr. Video Games 0069 posted:

Perhaps the real monsters were the friends we made along the way.

If only we made the effort to speak to them...

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

I think they get mad if they see you cutting down trees though, which you kind of have to do if you want to build anything

you have an opportunity to back off and apologise, then go back to cutting things down elsewhere

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

you have an opportunity to back off and apologise, then go back to cutting things down elsewhere

Makes sense, considering the game's setting. :canada:

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

ymgve posted:

Played a bit of Ctrl Alt Ego during the weekend. I saw some people claim it was the best immersive sim in years, which I guess just means that immersive sims are a starved genre. It's...fine. The controls are floaty and the physics janky, and the "approach any way you want" gameplay seems to only give one or two options most of the time. Hacking and taking over enemy robots requires you to spend your most precious resource, which means that straight up combat is the most economic way to get through things, especially if you get the upgrade that turns scrap into ammo. Stealth is bad, mostly because of the aforementioned bad physics. I can't count the number of times I've teleported into a camera or something, and then got an alert an enemy attacked my main robot, because the robot continued sliding across the floor after I teleported out of it.

I just finished Ctrl Alt Ego last night and this tracks with my experience. That said, I feel like I have to rate it a little more highly because it was made by literally two guys. It's got issues, but for that size dev team it's a goddamned achievement.

Also it was actually funny at times, though admittedly it is mostly Programmer Humor which is not going to be everyone's cup of tea.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Serephina posted:

I once killed a nonhostile NPC in Outcast, but in my defense I had just gotten mauled by a bear trap, so when I saw the fucker who was setting traps in the distance I just started blasting.

I mean that's just irresponsible hunting so I see no issue here

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

ymgve posted:

yeah its massively overrated jank/junk.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Gedonia is a weird combo of early 3D action rpgs like Dungeon Lords or Ultima 9 and Everquest. I like it since sometimes I just wanna play around with builds and get XP and not bother with a story. The graphics look worse on the store page than they do when you are playing.

On the deck it runs alright and the gamepad controls are a little wonky but acceptable. The one issue is that load times are kinda long but the dev said they are looking into it.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Unlocking characters in Octopath Traveler 2 and one of the scenarios starts off as Count of Monte Cristo but Edmond Dantès knows magic. Hell yeah, game continues to own.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Ragequit posted:

Edmond Dantès knows magic.

:hmmyes:

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!
I started Gedonia with a controller but I suspect I'm actually supposed to be using mkb.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS

No... No, it can't be....

:smith:

That friendly hexalimb lady sounds cool as beans.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I miss Burnout and NFS: Most Wanted.
It's crazy that there haven't been another game like that in 11 years.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Jack Trades posted:

EA is sat on some of the racing genre's most prestigious IP and a couple of years ago acquired the industry's leading racing game focused studio.

I hoped that would lead to more than we've seen so far. We've got to be close to an announcement on this years rally game (EA can use the WRC license they acquired with Codies from this year) but even then I guess we'll see if that's actually a good thing vs what could have been a theoretical Dirt Rally 3.0.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I played the Wo Long demo and I can say that whatever journo outlets were comparing it to Nioh were full of poo poo.

Nioh had a whole bunch of interesting and mechanics to learn which were extremely satisfying to use and Nioh 2 tripled down on that with even more cool mechanics. Nioh 2's combat was so extremely customizable and varied you could have a bajillion different playstyles.

Meanwhile Wo Long has you press 3 buttons.
You mash some X until the bar goes up then you mash some Y and watch the bar go down. Then when you feel like you're in trouble you press B.
I guess you also have up to 4 magic moves, which in the demo were all practically the same, and up to 4 weapon moves, which were all superfluous in the demo.

Holy poo poo what a disappointment.
If I wanted to watch a bar fill up and deplete, I'd play a souls game.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Nioh's garbage compared to souls games

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Gort posted:

Uh-huh. Circle strafing with your shield up until you can get a backstab sure is peak gaming.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Last Command. This game is great! Shooter game which is about navigating your snake around to pick up power ups during crazy boss fights. The core gameplay design here is so solid and the bosses have a ton of different mechanics, would love to see more games like this. Not ultra hard though the harder difficulties can be tough. If anyone knows anything else like this would be interested.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Jack Trades posted:

Uh-huh. Circle strafing with your shield up until you can get a backstab sure is peak gaming.
I like Nioh and am playing Nioh 2 right now but you're really diving headfirst into the poo poo with this one brother

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I don’t think circle strafing has really worked as a consistent strategy since the first dark souls.

Hell it’s probably more effective in Nioh

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Gort posted:

Eh, I think they're an interesting offshoot. I can take or leave the Diablo-style loot (I like ARPGs so I'm used to aggresively filtering stuff, so that helps) but the weapon/moveset variety and the addition of onmyo/ninjutsu/spirit guardians/soul cores on top give you A LOT of room to experiment and levers to pull. Souls games do exploration better but Nioh empowers the player much, much more in terms of combat mechanics.

Also co-op is 100% hassle-free and painless in Nioh and that's a big point in its favor.

Edit: FWIW I love every single FromSoft Souls title so it's not even a preference thing - Dark Souls 3, Nioh 2 and Bloodborne are some of my favorite games ever.

Azran fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Feb 27, 2023

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

CharlestheHammer posted:

I don’t think circle strafing has really worked as a consistent strategy since the first dark souls.

Hell it’s probably more effective in Nioh

I don't know what you're smoking.
It worked perfectly fine in Dark Sous 2 and what little of 3 I could stomach playing, and Nioh doesn't even let you backstab in combat.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Why would you need to backstab? That wasn’t how you used circle strafing in actual combat, hell most bosses can’t even be backstabbed

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

*Sees the most obvious Dark Souls vs Nioh bait on the planet.*

*Bites anyway*

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
we got Nioh and then Nioh 2, which was Nioh but Moreso. I can’t blame the devs for wanting to change up the formula a bit more even if they still won’t back off from the loot vomit

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Let's all just ignore the obvious Jack Trades troll bait intended to belittle those who have different tastes from them

chird
Sep 26, 2004

Jack Trades posted:

What's the most modern of these arcadey racers that's still considered good to play with controller today?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

chird posted:

What's the most modern of these arcadey racers that's still considered good to play with controller today?

The newest Need For Speed (NFS: Unbound) is actually very good and very much worth playing. Feels a lot like a newer Burnout Paradise with a dash of Most Wanted.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Yeah, poor extremely neglected souls fans. Whomst've gonna defend them from mean 'ol grandpa Jack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
you're like the guy sitting in the corner spraying cheez whiz into his mouth telling everyone the immaculate gouda served up on a plate is poo poo