System Message

Secondary database maintenance is underway. Some features will be briefly unavailable.
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
It used to be super easy to upset people in sto chat by saying star wars was better. Unfortunately after Disney did their thing that's no longer effective.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

DancingShade posted:

It used to be super easy to upset people in sto chat by saying star wars was better. Unfortunately after Disney did their thing that's no longer effective.

Counterpoint: CBS

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Counter counter point: Rise of Skywalker

fullTimeLurker
Nov 10, 2010

and the first episode of Picard Season 3 was...okayish. I mean I know it's going to most likely take a nose dive into dumpsterville.

Is Discovery still a thing? I couldn't handle more than 2 episodes of that before I just was too disappointed to return.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Asimo posted:

Counter counter point: Rise of Skywalker

You say that as if Star Wars hasn't been irrevocably damaged since the 90s

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Cyrano4747 posted:

On the other hand if you've got a few beers in you it's incredibly fun to troll by saying super incendiary and controversial things like "trans rights are human rights" and "Trump lost the 2020 election"

You don't even need to hang out. Just poo poo that stuff out into the wild, watch the fireworks while you run your dailies, then bail for greener pastures.

Yeah, most of the time at EU timezones the area chats in Summer/Winter events are just people doing lazy Gorn puns or joking around about STO or Trek, or heckling the crazy person trying to spout Trump/Russia/etc propaganda.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

fullTimeLurker posted:

and the first episode of Picard Season 3 was...okayish. I mean I know it's going to most likely take a nose dive into dumpsterville.

Is Discovery still a thing? I couldn't handle more than 2 episodes of that before I just was too disappointed to return.

Disco S2 was pretty . . . OK. Better than the bad early TNG seasons, better than the bad TNG movies, worse than, say, a solid-but-not-exceptional mid-run season of Voyager. I dunno, I'd put it probably about on the same level as First Contact just as far as having pretty effects and being a fun adventure story with pew pew action.

The end would have actually been a pretty OK place to just cap the series, although the last episode was kind of neurotic in a lot of ways.

Good: Captain Pike upstaged the entire Disco cast, and it serves as basically a prequel season to Strange New Worlds

Interesting: The big-bad at the end is actually kind of neat, is a problem of the Federation's own making, and they (apparently inadvertently) dropped some bread crumbs that had every single trek fan going "HOLY poo poo does this mean the Federation accidentally created the borg?!?"

Hilariously dumb: The show writers went out of their way, for no reason that I can think of, to give interviews saying "holy poo poo we didn't mean that, but yeah in retrospect we can see how it could be read that way, the Federation absolutely did not create the borg."

I kind of hope a future team of writers ignores that, since it's not like show runner interviews are cannon, because it would be one of the more interesting things Trek has done in a damned long time and open up a lot of neat places for doing Borg stories that don't suck.

Which of course means that it will never happen.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I used to drop a few Gorn movie title puns and that would get zone chat going for a while

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The Federation creating the borg would be silly, not everything has to originate with us.

The borg have been around for at least 700 years, per Voyager, so time travel would have to be involved too.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

fullTimeLurker posted:

I feel like episode 1 of seasons 1 and 2 were also ok for Picard, but in both seasons they seemed to quickly forget they were trying to tell a serial story in 10 episodes. They spin their wheels a lot early and then the last 2 episodes of the season just go totally wacky trying to tie it all together.

Disco IMO has somewhat improved every season. I never went back to season 1, but season 2 is fun but messy (sort of the same way Picard is). Season 3 is similar, but a little less messy and they finally find a romantic interest for Burnham that works well. I liked season 4 as the least messy plot, but others found it a bit boring.

Discovery still hasn’t gotten past the sense that it’s very straightforward themes are super deep and need to be explained too much, or refusing to trust all their ensemble cast to carry an episode without SMG.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Looks like the STO Wiki is moving away from the malicious mess that is fandom, details here.

It looks good, other than some formatting issues that will likely be ironed out.

Hunter Noventa fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Feb 23, 2023

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Hunter Noventa posted:

Looks like the STO Wiki is moving away from the malicious mess that is fandom, details here.

It looks good, other than some formatting issues that will likely be ironed out.

Omg yes

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Fandom's gotten so bad. There's probably space in the market at this point for a fandom competitor that basically replicates their wiki setup without the cancerous level of ads so it can implement a one-click importer that can copy over a wiki wholesale seamlessly.

Of course, it's all hosed up and confused when anyone leaves, because Fandom.com takes over the wiki and forcibly keeps on running it, removes any redirect notices, search engines still have the old wiki high in the rankings, and people tend to get the old one as their first result.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Feb 23, 2023

Veotax
May 16, 2006

fullTimeLurker posted:

Is Discovery still a thing?

I'm pretty sure it's at least getting a fifth season, might have even started shooting, but I'm not sure. Don't think there's been any announcements beyond that yet.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

MikeJF posted:

Of course, it's all hosed up and confused when anyone leaves, because Fandom.com takes over the wiki and forcibly keeps on running it, removes any redirect notices, search engines still have the old wiki high in the rankings, and people tend to get the old one as their first result.

This poo poo pissed me off so much. So many goddamned wasted click going "oh wait no it's the OTHER wiki, the one fifteen search results down."

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I am certain that google had some kind of deal with them.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Tunicate posted:

I am certain that google had some kind of deal with them.

I'm sure they're just SEO'd to hell and back and use the ad money to pay for more SEO gurus.

Hey Google: want me to pay for a product? I'll give you $50/yr for a search that lets me blacklist domains. Like, let me log in and specify that I never, ever want a search result returned from <domain here> ever again.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

I would love to just nuke pintrest from image search results especially.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Eimi posted:

I would love to just nuke pintrest from image search results especially.

Plus all those dumb websites that show up when you google some computer problem.

"How to fix your computer being on fire and full of viruses.

Step one: Download our amazing Computer Fire Extinguisher Antivirus for only $9.99 and use it!

Alternatively, try this dodgy advice on how to do something that won't fix your problem at all which we copy/pasted from some Microsoft help desk forum. You know, the one two results below this glorified advertisement."

God gently caress SEO so hard.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Apparently today's patch fixed Defense of Starbase One so it can't be done AFK anymore, you have to actually kill the waves.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Uuuugh, all of it? gently caress it.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yeah, how many are we talking about? Just the stragglers at the end when they tell you to finish them?

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Cyrano4747 posted:

I'm sure they're just SEO'd to hell and back and use the ad money to pay for more SEO gurus.

Hey Google: want me to pay for a product? I'll give you $50/yr for a search that lets me blacklist domains. Like, let me log in and specify that I never, ever want a search result returned from <domain here> ever again.

They used to let you do that. Now it's Quora and Pinterest as far as the eye can see. God I miss being able to blacklist garbage sites.

E: and those scummy tech answer sites, as somebody mentioned. It's really love to nuke these modern "every sentence is a paragraph" blogs that apparently Google is the best blog format ever.

MisterOblivious fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Feb 23, 2023

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Cyrano4747 posted:

Yeah, how many are we talking about? Just the stragglers at the end when they tell you to finish them?

Well it remains to be seen because right now its bugged so as to be totally unfinishable because no matter how many you kill it won't advance to the next wave.

And the remaining bots are unaware because there are a couple hundred stuck instances of it up.

revtoiletduck
Aug 21, 2006
smart newbie

Hunter Noventa posted:

Apparently today's patch fixed Defense of Starbase One so it can't be done AFK anymore, you have to actually kill the waves.

Hopefully I can still just AFK it in jellyfish mode.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

revtoiletduck posted:

Hopefully I can still just AFK it in jellyfish mode.

Maybe after they fix it but still doubtful given how spread out the ships in it are.

revtoiletduck
Aug 21, 2006
smart newbie

Hunter Noventa posted:

Maybe after they fix it but still doubtful given how spread out the ships in it are.

I usually queue into it normally and then just jellyfish. I don't think anyone realizes I'm afk when I'm killing like 80% of the ships and leaving them to handle the rest.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

I grabbed the Legendary D7 since Klingon stuff is on sale - I don't know if it's better than the Disco D7 but it certainly looks fantastic with the TMP K't'inga skin. Plus you can slot FAW III, Mixed Armament II, and Surgical Strikes III. It is super tiny and incredibly zippy with a bonus battle cloak.

QAPLA

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe
^^ Disco D7 has the better trait, but the legendary D7 is probably the best SS platform in the game.

revtoiletduck posted:

I usually queue into it normally and then just jellyfish. I don't think anyone realizes I'm afk when I'm killing like 80% of the ships and leaving them to handle the rest.
Now I'm curious if any of the bot accounts actually grabbed the jellyfish from the event. Because I bet 5 players in jellyfish could spread out and AFK-kill everything in the TFO.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Cyrano4747 posted:

Update: It's still pretty easy to semi-AFK. All you have to do is poke your head in once every five minutes or so to blow up the end of the wave when the objective changes to "kill remaining klingons."

not as brain dead as a true AFK, but still pretty bare bones effort.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Honestly I just watch DVDs on the tv on the far corner of my desk while I vaguely pay attention and sometimes hammer spacebar.

Teron D Amun
Oct 9, 2010

Cyrano4747 posted:

Update: It's still pretty easy to semi-AFK. All you have to do is poke your head in once every five minutes or so to blow up the end of the wave when the objective changes to "kill remaining klingons."

not as brain dead as a true AFK, but still pretty bare bones effort.

the TFO will complete automatically after an hour if you have the patience :v:

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

My experience is that "to Hell with Honor" runs faster as it doesn't have time-gated objectives. Although it does require one to actually play the event.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Der Kyhe posted:

My experience is that "to Hell with Honor" runs faster as it doesn't have time-gated objectives. Although it does require one to actually play the event.

It has a wider variance since it depends on how competent your group is, I had a fantastically fast one this morning.

revtoiletduck
Aug 21, 2006
smart newbie

g0del posted:

Now I'm curious if any of the bot accounts actually grabbed the jellyfish from the event. Because I bet 5 players in jellyfish could spread out and AFK-kill everything in the TFO.

I'm pretty sure 2 would be enough to cover the entire arena. Or, at least, the 4 escaping ships.

fullTimeLurker
Nov 10, 2010

OH man, I just finished playing up through the Iconian War on my Temporal Recruit; and drat, why is it so much better than anything they've released since? Not only is the entire storyline fun and engaging; but all the previous Episodes all tie in to it as well, while still having their own satisfying conclusions. I wish they would do another well-written multi-episode ark like that again.
So much more enjoyable than an any of the Terran storylines or the super boring Discovery stuff. (except for the Solanae Dyson sphere crap where they force you to pilot lovely ships that take 20 minutes to kill the enemies they throw against you...)

Although I haven't gotten to it, I'll be curious to play through Yesterday's War/Future Proof again, because I remember disliking those though I don't remember why.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

fullTimeLurker posted:

OH man, I just finished playing up through the Iconian War on my Temporal Recruit; and drat, why is it so much better than anything they've released since? Not only is the entire storyline fun and engaging; but all the previous Episodes all tie in to it as well, while still having their own satisfying conclusions. I wish they would do another well-written multi-episode ark like that again.
So much more enjoyable than an any of the Terran storylines or the super boring Discovery stuff. (except for the Solanae Dyson sphere crap where they force you to pilot lovely ships that take 20 minutes to kill the enemies they throw against you...)

Although I haven't gotten to it, I'll be curious to play through Yesterday's War/Future Proof again, because I remember disliking those though I don't remember why.

I remember playing through the Iconian war and it referencing poo poo from content that I played like ten years ago and saying to myself, "drat I need to replay those episodes... drat I never thought I'd say that". They were pretty great and had my intrigued. Felt like I was actually watching a decent Star Trek show plot unfolding.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

They get a bit tiresome because the Delta Quadrant storyline takes forever, and it is still padded with those billion patrol missions. Especially if you happened to jump in when all special recruit campaigns were done in near rotation to each other so you have to play through that stuff four times until you are done with them to claim all account bonuses.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

fullTimeLurker posted:

The time war stuff is pretty hit or miss but the arc after that (Victory is Life) is hands-down the strongest in the game.

Still working up to play the new stuff I’ve missed over the last couple of years on console. It’s kind of refreshing not having access to my hanger of war crime starships. I can just be a simple campaign flying a simple starship - at least until this year’s anniversary event rolls around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Coq au Nandos posted:

at least until this year’s anniversary event rolls around.

You just missed it, alas.