Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"

YggdrasilTM posted:

And how do you hide from lifesense?

Put on something charged with negative energy to help obscure your positive energy?

The rules can't cover every bit of edge case cleverness a PC might come up with, but they suggest a framework to handle it. Its similar to the rules for Assisted Recovery when removing a source of persistent damage. Two of us had been hit by Enervation, we poured Ghost Charge on ourselves to make the recovery check easier after the fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

I'll rephrase: how can you use your hide and stealth skills to hide from lifesense? Because from the examples I'm getting it's like if the only answer to "how do you hide from sight" was "you drink an invisibility potion".

Yeah, I'm sure the wizard or the cleric can cast some "invisible to lifesense" crap on the party, thank you very much.

YggdrasilTM fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Feb 26, 2023

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

you...make things up? I paint myself in ashes and hide a bone under my tongue because I have the Occult skill trained and know this will help me hide, which I roll Stealth to do.

Lifesense is fictional, it is made up, the reason you don't know the real world actions to take to defeat it like you do hearing is it is not real. You have to invent a fictional way to do it.. This is how fiction works.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Walk around in a cardboard box, wrap yourself in zombie guts, etc

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
This entire discussion should be the thread title

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
how do you convince people you have no life? well,

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

YggdrasilTM posted:

And how do you hide from lifesense?
Easy. Lifesense doesn't say it circumvents line of sight so why can't you do what you do normally? The safety precautions come off as you doing it to avoid contact standing out in the middle of open.

MadScientistWorking fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Feb 26, 2023

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

MadScientistWorking posted:

Easy. Lifesense doesn't say it circumvents line of sight so why can't you do what you do normally? The safety precautions come off as you doing it to avoid contact standing out in the middle of open.

Oh, so it's just a fancy darkvision?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

It's a sense. You hide from it the same way you hide from any other sense. Hide from smell? Cover yourself in a different scent. Hide from hearing? Be quiet, etc etc etc.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

Mors Rattus posted:

Lifesense is fictional, it is made up, the reason you don't know the real world actions to take to defeat it like you do hearing is it is not real. You have to invent a fictional way to do it.. This is how fiction works.

I think this depends on whether you see "the player must explain what they do" as being:
a) a way to fill in what would otherwise be an unsatisfying detail in the story, or
b) a checking/balancing factor to prevent the PC taking nonsensical actions.

If b) is the case, allowing "by magic" as an explanation obviously bypasses all those checks and balances. And Pathfinder 2e is not known for being a narrative game.

quote:

It's a sense. You hide from it the same way you hide from any other sense. Hide from smell? Cover yourself in a different scent. Hide from hearing? Be quiet, etc etc etc.

So for lifesense you.. stop living?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

hyphz posted:

Can't imagine a million possible ways to hide your living essence in this fantasy role playing game with like 200 Occult spells

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

hyphz posted:

Cover yourself in nonliving things? Make sure no exposed skin?

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

YggdrasilTM posted:

Oh, so it's just a fancy darkvision?
Sort of. Mechanically unless stated Im pretty sure line of sight rules apply to most vision types. The major times the differences will show up off the top of my head was that Inventor's companion and some familiars aren't alive which circumvents the vision entirely. Either that or Im an entirely generous GM who doesn't want to screw over the players and find that interpretation pretty aggravating.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

The feat that lets you bypass needing to explain what you do literally gives an example of how you defeated lifesense. It literally says it. You soaked in ashes for so long that you automatically do not register as alive if someone with lifesense isn't paying close attention and no longer need to do anything to make that happen.

Logically you could then soak yourself in ashes before starting sneaking to defeat lifesense temporarily in the same manner without the feat. Because it literally says that is how it works. Or, you know, come up with any fiction along the same lines.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Ok, I'll mime to be a zombie then.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

:goonsay:

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Yeah, this should work too.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I'm hiding from lifesense right now by reading this goddamn conversation.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I would kill your character and not invite you back to a game after that entire exchange and your response.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Did I fall into reddit?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Lowtax's Irreversible Escape

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.
A sidebar or section discussing if lifesense was intentionally meant to defeat stealth without the feat or specific magic seems like it would've been good to include. If not, ways for a regular stealth check to avoid it, even if just as prompts for GMs and players would've made sense, given this conversation.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
My brain hurts

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
whistling as I smooth my brain out with an iron

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Settle down now, folks, there's no need to be mean to your fellow posters for maybe disagreeing about exactly how much explanation some obscure game mechanic needs.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Splicer posted:

I'm not sure what point you're trying to make here. If you do a thing badly it will be done badly? Yes! That's why I'm pointing out examples of it done well vs examples of it done poorly. Siivola's original statement was that 4E's keyword system would be a bad fit for modern day audiences because they make it difficult to parse what things do at a glance. I said no, they gave an example of PF2E's keywords causing the problem they were describing, a few people then showed actual examples of 4E keywords, and Silvona realised that the brutal technical incompetence of Paizo's design team had driven out the memories of how smooth an actually well implemented keyword system is.

A bad workman will do a bad job with good tools but that doesn't mean there's no such thing as good tools.

Conversation has moved on from here but I'd just as soon pretend it hasn't, so...

My point is about the specific considerations that go into writing a good keyword-based system, and that to write an RPG with a good keyword system you need someone who is coordinating keywords.

I haven't played 4E in a long time, but let's take a quick look at how they organized keywords for powers:

Source Keywords: Arcane, Divine, Martial, Psionic; 4E registers the source of powers for PCs. I haven't played for a long time but these keywords don't seem very helpful when, say, Cleric powers all have the Divine keyword. I suppose they matter for multiclassing, but I don't think these keywords came up in play much, so they may not be needed.

Focus Keywords: Implement, Weapon. Tells you what kind of item you use to focus the power. This matters, but listing the keyword is more convenience than anything else, because IIRC all weapon-focused powers dealt damage based on the weapon and all implement powers listed a damage die type for the power independent of the implement. Useful for whoever is coding the digital character sheet, no doubt. And very useful for monster powers.

Element Keywords: Acid, Cold, Fire, etc. Logical, though powers with these keywords always deal damage of that type, so you could just use the damage listing instead of consulting a keyword here. I can't determine whether an acid-immune monster is immune to all effects from a power with the Acid keyword or just ignores the damage, mainly because I don't own the DMG/MM and MM3 doesn't explain immunities. 4E avoids the "different weapons do different damage types" problem by having weapon-based powers do either untyped damage or adding an element and that damage type.

Type Keywords: Charm, Conjuration, Fear, Healing, Illusion, Sleep, Teleportation, Zone. Provide important information classifying the power. I'm a little dubious about "Sleep" as a type simply because it comes up so rarely, but OK. The others all clearly matter at least some of the time.

Type keywords are necessary for gameplay. I'd argue that Element and Focus keywords are a matter of convenience, because they repeat information that a power gives you elsewhere in its writeup. Source keywords almost certainly exist as metadata more than anything else, as otherwise you could just define all "racial" powers as unsourced, and all other powers as sourced based on their classes, because this comes up hardly ever in play. But I don't know if WotC ever released a 4E class that had a mixture of arcane and martial powers, in which case you would want these keywords for everyone.

Note that each category is distinct, and few categories have a lot of keywords. Element keywords are the most extensive, but you don't need to know any information beyond the keyword: there's no need to look up "Force" in the glossary to figure out what that means. Some of the type keywords work the same way: you shouldn't need to look up Charm, Fear, or Healing. Conjuration, Illusion, and Zone are a bit more complex, although Zone at least is also built into the power description in other ways.

If you add keywords in the future to some categories, that doesn't really change the complexity of the system: adding Psionic to Source keywords doesn't matter much. Adding half a dozen more Damage keywords is undesirable because existing monsters can't be vulnerable/resistant/immune to them. Adding a half dozen more Type keywords probably makes the game much more complicated: for example, if you suddenly want to differentiate between an illusion and a phantasm, you're increasing the system complexity.

But you also need someone supervising new keywords. Suppose the PHB 3 comes out adding psionics to the system, only the designers decide psionic classes should have the Source keyword "Psychic" and not "Psionic"? Suddenly you have a duplicate keyword! The longer a system exists and the more the designers rotate responsibilities, the more vital it is to have a master document that controls keywords and a lead designer who watches new keywords closely to keep things as simple as possible. Even 4E, which handled keywords as well as any system I've encountered, may have had more keywords than it absolutely needed.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

some of yall haven't read that viral Tumblr post about a d&D group of 9 year Olds sneaking by a zombie Warren by singing "sleeeeep.... zooom-bies sleeep" and it shows

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

YggdrasilTM posted:

I'll rephrase: how can you use your hide and stealth skills to hide from lifesense? Because from the examples I'm getting it's like if the only answer to "how do you hide from sight" was "you drink an invisibility potion".

Yeah, I'm sure the wizard or the cleric can cast some "invisible to lifesense" crap on the party, thank you very much.

Truly not trying to beat a dead horse. I'm bringing it up more for my own education than anything.

But why isn't Foil Senses a viable option in this case? You can take it as a general or skill feat as long as you are a master in stealth, which if you're a stealth character seems like an inevitability. I feel like I must be missing something.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Narsham posted:

Source Keywords: Arcane, Divine, Martial, Psionic; 4E registers the source of powers for PCs. I haven't played for a long time but these keywords don't seem very helpful when, say, Cleric powers all have the Divine keyword. I suppose they matter for multiclassing, but I don't think these keywords came up in play much, so they may not be needed.

I don't know how much it was supported by the rules but I always thought that these gave something of a sub-role. Divine powers are all somewhat leader-ish, Martial powers give you a striker tone, all the Arcane powers have some controller-like elements and so on.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

YggdrasilTM posted:

I don't know how much it was supported by the rules but I always thought that these gave something of a sub-role. Divine powers are all somewhat leader-ish, Martial powers give you a striker tone, all the Arcane powers have some controller-like elements and so on.

To a degree, yeah. It wasn't always consistent but there definitely was a general theme they were going for that tied in fluff and mechanics.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Source Keywords: Arcane, Divine, Martial, Psionic; 4E registers the source of powers for PCs. I haven't played for a long time but these keywords don't seem very helpful when, say, Cleric powers all have the Divine keyword. I suppose they matter for multiclassing, but I don't think these keywords came up in play much, so they may not be needed.[/quote]

Metadata/design notes and could be dropped.

quote:

Focus Keywords: Implement, Weapon. Tells you what kind of item you use to focus the power. This matters, but listing the keyword is more convenience than anything else, because IIRC all weapon-focused powers dealt damage based on the weapon and all implement powers listed a damage die type for the power independent of the implement. Useful for whoever is coding the digital character sheet, no doubt. And very useful for monster powers.

There were some powers that only did static data - and weapons had proficiency bonuses but implements didn't.

But, cutting the rest, there were some actually functional keywords. The only three that come to mind are Reliable (this power not expended on a miss - almost always martial daily powers), Invigorating (gains a few THP) and Rattling (If you have Intimidate trained inflicts an attack debuff until EonT). This category was from memory martial only, and I think rattling was rogue exclusive and in one of the Martial Powers. It never really caught on much for good reason (while PF2 of course has gone all in).

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Rattling would be a major disadvantage for a rogue, everyone could hear you when you tried to sneak around.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Arcane/divine/etc came up usually in multiclassing and paragon archetypes. Where you'd get bonuses that only applied to arcane attacks or whatever. And implement vs weapon matters because as mentioned it determines where the bonuses come from and if you get weapon proficiency bonus to the attack roll.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

Finster Dexter posted:

But why isn't Foil Senses a viable option in this case? You can take it as a general or skill feat as long as you are a master in stealth, which if you're a stealth character seems like an inevitability. I feel like I must be missing something.

It depends on your interpretation of the statement that “you have to describe the precautions you take to avoid special senses.”

If you take the narrative approach, that you can just make up anything you like that sounds good, that works.

If you take the OSR approach, that coming up with the description is a necessary part of the challenge to ensure that the action makes sense, then it doesn’t work because the description of lifesense is too vague to identify what would make sense and there is no real world standard to compare to.

If you assume that Foil Senses removes the need for a description then it works.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

hyphz posted:

there is no real world standard to compare to.

There are literally thousands of years of real world magical bullshit to compare to and all of it is at least as sensical as D&D.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

NinjaDebugger posted:

There are literally thousands of years of real world magical bullshit to compare to and all of it is at least as sensical as D&D.

Lifesense was like blindsight in pathfinder 1e, for what is worth.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

NinjaDebugger posted:

What are some examples from the real world, for how to hide from the undead who can sense you (without eyes or wearing a mummy mask or w/e) purely because you're alive?

Like I'm not a mythology expert but I'm wondering if we have any in the house who can give some interesting examples. That could actually give me some fun ideas to put into a game.

e. I feel like "cover yourself in ashes" is a Predator reference but that was mud I think and obviously the Predator alien wasn't an undead monster, so maybe that's a reach.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

If you want real world references, typically to avoid being noticed by supernatural beings you carry protective charms or amulets, say certain prayers and/or wear specific substances or have clothes with certain patterns worked into them. The specifics will vary wildly by where you are and what specific entity you’re trying to avoid, of course.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
To evade {vampires} carry a {holy symbol} and wear a {necklace of garlic}. Simple as.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Mors Rattus posted:

If you want real world references, typically to avoid being noticed by supernatural beings you carry protective charms or amulets, say certain prayers and/or wear specific substances or have clothes with certain patterns worked into them. The specifics will vary wildly by where you are and what specific entity you’re trying to avoid, of course.

the classic example on video from most of our childhoods: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDWR5RkWRTY