Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

Famethrowa posted:

what fighting game should I get into? ive never played any

Guilty Gear Strive is a good game, as mentioned. Melty Blood Type Lumina is also beginner friendly, sorta, cuz it has an auto-combo system. Street Fighter 6 is coming out in a few months and has a really incredible modern control scheme that lets new/beginner players still do cool combos, and it looks like it'll have a bunch of solo content - including mini games to help teach you motion controls and stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
idk, xrd had its "stylish" control scheme in 2014 which was pretty much the same thing as sf6's "modern" , and the blazblue series had it since continuum shift in 2009
it kinda sucked for learning the game as a new player
"mash 1 button and something cool happens" mode is neat if you just wanna fool around on the couch with your equally noob buddies but if your goal is to learn how to play it doesn't help much

the autocombos in mbtl, dbfz, bbtag are a lot better as an accessibility option since they're actually integrated into "the real game" instead of being a toggle you pick at character select that disables the ability to ever play normally

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Played Chapter 4 of Xenoblade 2 yesterday and feeling blushy crushy about it, but will still start chapter 5 today. I wish merc missions continued while the switch was asleep.

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

Dr Kool-AIDS posted:

Played Chapter 4 of Xenoblade 2 yesterday and feeling blushy crushy about it, but will still start chapter 5 today. I wish merc missions continued while the switch was asleep.

oh they suck. especially the ones that are like 90 minutes long.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
gently caress, bannerlord didn't download last night so it's going now. Hopefully get to play this evening.

Just pulled two hunks of brisket off the smoker for lunch this week and going to a fish fry now or I'd spend my day on it.

Splash Attack
Mar 23, 2008

Yeahhh!
I am GHOS!!
Haaaaaa Ha Ha Ha!!

i finally caved and instead of playing the atelier games in chronological order i just started ryza

it’s kind of neat to jump from rorona to this

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Ryza needs a "shut the gently caress up Tao" button but other than that it's pretty great

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
(Mass Effect 2) Beat Firewalker and Project Overlord after banging my head against them a bunch the last couple days. They are... not fun on insanity. Going back to the main game and my enjoyment has improved considerably. Have blitzed through all the recruitments. Getting ready to attack the Collector Ship.

It's just wild how much those two DLCs fumbled gameplay. The Firewalker ship is paper thin and there are no checkpoints for those vehicle-only levels, so a bunch of the missions wind up being painful gauntlets that you need to win with little margin for error. Overlord warsmostly fine until the last bit of the mission where the game forces Shepard to fight the boss solo. yeesh. i should've done it later on when I was more levelled.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

My daughter and I both have colds, so we're going to "Have a garbage day"

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I got tired of waiting for my thrice delayed copy of Metroid Prime to show up so I used an Amazon gift card I had lying around and bought it digital. It's real good. I turned on the hybrid motion controls and it works surprisingly well with the pro controller. Dual stick felt wrong but classic wasn't clicking either

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

trying to plan out the next d&d session; we play online over videochat on roll20, and in retrospect i shouldn't have set this in the underdark as it's a lot easier to find suitable art for overland stuff

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

LETTIN THE CAT OUTTA THE BAG

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

trying to plan out the next d&d session; we play online over videochat on roll20, and in retrospect i shouldn't have set this in the underdark as it's a lot easier to find suitable art for overland stuff

I'll make an entire set of terrain by hand but for the life of me I can't make roll20 work for me

i am the boomer

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i use a dogshit mapping tool called Dungeon Painter Studio to make maps and then drag tokens around it while people get steadily drunker. i really need to use a newer product but i've used pyromancers for like a decade and i ain't stopping now

there's a lot of integration you can do with roll20 but i literally use it for character sheets and maps. everything else we just talk through on MS teams due to inertia. i recently found out you can drag items to character sheets and it was a gamechanger

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008
I hate Roll20 but that's cuz I feel like the rolling algorithm is janky. when I played in a D&D game last, it felt like sometimes the entire party would roll the same number multiple times a session and everyone was going :psyduck:

that game was kinda rough though and tbh I was kinda checked out of it by the end

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

5e.tools recommends some other place called foundry that i know nothing about. that might be better!

that said i figure a decent online diceroller will have an xcom-style smoothing algorithm in place. we don't do well with true randomness

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008
I just learned a few weeks ago that the dicebot we use in Discord for our game actually uses the clock for its seed. It came up because I asked for a roll and 3 out of 4 players got a 2. this got my wife going :wtf: so she made a bunch of "test" rolls that included a bunch of 2s again, which got the one programmer going "oh yeah I wonder if the seed for random generation is just based off the clock and since all these rolls occurred on the same minute mark, they used the same seed" and the other programmer in the group replying "yes, it specifically does use the clock as a seed. it said so when i loaded this bot to the server"

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Skypie posted:

I just learned a few weeks ago that the dicebot we use in Discord for our game actually uses the clock for its seed. It came up because I asked for a roll and 3 out of 4 players got a 2. this got my wife going :wtf: so she made a bunch of "test" rolls that included a bunch of 2s again, which got the one programmer going "oh yeah I wonder if the seed for random generation is just based off the clock and since all these rolls occurred on the same minute mark, they used the same seed" and the other programmer in the group replying "yes, it specifically does use the clock as a seed. it said so when i loaded this bot to the server"
Should have a specification on the box: speed 1rpm

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Decided to fiddle around with Planet Zoo. So basically I spent all day doing this:

Don't even have animals yet, just trying to build the entry plaza and core animal care area. And even then, I ended up scrapping most of it and using prefab buildings instead of building my own.

I did keep the Information booth I built, since I tend to do it the same way every time

Behind the Info booth is a dodo statue and a fountain

This game is such a time sink sometimes...

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Still playing Xenoblade 2 and chapter 5 was a pretty big improvement over chapters 3 and 4. I'm not going to finish 6 today, but so far it seems to be keeping pace too. I really hope the game can keep this energy going, because today it's pretty much been at 'good game without reservations' level while the stuff before was definitely more of a mixed bag.

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008
Also I got home after running some errands and found a board game I backed on Kickstarter like 1.5 years ago delivered. It's a game where everyone is a swordsmith and trying to make the best katana for the shogun, and you get to do all kinds of little things to help make the best sword possible

Can't wait to bust it out and give it a spin soon

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

5e.tools recommends some other place called foundry that i know nothing about. that might be better!

that said i figure a decent online diceroller will have an xcom-style smoothing algorithm in place. we don't do well with true randomness

I use foundry and love it, but be aware it does require a buy in.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Cthulu Carl posted:

Decided to fiddle around with Planet Zoo. So basically I spent all day doing this:

Don't even have animals yet, just trying to build the entry plaza and core animal care area. And even then, I ended up scrapping most of it and using prefab buildings instead of building my own.

I did keep the Information booth I built, since I tend to do it the same way every time

Behind the Info booth is a dodo statue and a fountain

This game is such a time sink sometimes...

Very nice!

I just finished Roadwarden yesterday and I'm trying to figure out if I should replay it knowing all of its secrets to get a better ending or if that will feel unsatisfying and repetitive and I should let it lie as a completed experience.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Sally posted:

(Mass Effect 2) Beat Firewalker and Project Overlord after banging my head against them a bunch the last couple days. They are... not fun on insanity. Going back to the main game and my enjoyment has improved considerably. Have blitzed through all the recruitments. Getting ready to attack the Collector Ship.

It's just wild how much those two DLCs fumbled gameplay. The Firewalker ship is paper thin and there are no checkpoints for those vehicle-only levels, so a bunch of the missions wind up being painful gauntlets that you need to win with little margin for error. Overlord warsmostly fine until the last bit of the mission where the game forces Shepard to fight the boss solo. yeesh. i should've done it later on when I was more levelled.

i hate driving around in the hammerhead so much, it loving sucks, i always find myself putting off doing overlord for that reason. driving it is bad, shooting from it is bad, it cant take any damage, it sucks. doing it on insanity... i would destroy my computer lol.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Really the fact that bioware made a hovertank not fun to play as should have clued us in about the future

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

my most controversial gaming opinion is that mass effect 3 is the best one :twisted:

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

lobster shirt posted:

my most controversial gaming opinion is that mass effect 3 is the best one :twisted:

I thought they made a really good move leaving the ending ambiguous by making my Xbox turn off after Shepard and Anderson had their talk at the end.

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008
Bioware ganking all the cool ME characters then tottering off to make Anthem was kinda amazing

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.

lobster shirt posted:

it's definitely the best game at being what BioWare wanted to do with ME

it's been a decade but I still genuinely think the ending was absolute rear end, especially pre-update. but everything else was fine to good, even the dumb himbo made for xbox players or w/e

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Cthulu Carl posted:

I thought they made a really good move leaving the ending ambiguous by making my Xbox turn off after Shepard and Anderson had their talk at the end.

lol yup

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

lobster shirt posted:

i hate driving around in the hammerhead so much, it loving sucks, i always find myself putting off doing overlord for that reason. driving it is bad, shooting from it is bad, it cant take any damage, it sucks. doing it on insanity... i would destroy my computer lol.

it seems to easy to fix... allow it to take more hits, let the player quicksave while in it, and do away with the cooldown before you can jump again and it's way way better. i know that Mako got a lot of flak, but i had way more fun mountain climbing in that than the Hammerhead. there were moments where the Hammerhead seemed ont he verge of being fun... but then i'd blow up or whiff a jump because i didn;t stop playing to let the engine cooldown.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

lobster shirt posted:

WarpDogs posted:

it's been a decade but I still genuinely think the ending was absolute rear end, especially pre-update. but everything else was fine to good, even the dumb himbo made for xbox players or w/e

Yeah no none of the Mass Effects are bad games imo, and 2 and 3 both have reasons for people to favor them. 3's gameplay is absolutely the best by far too.

But you see, ends bad, so you have to say 2 is your favorite

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

there's a lot of layers basically. strategic decisions, tactical warband composition and equipment choices, and a lot of good fighting. and there's multiplayer iirc

just a head up, native/vanilla bannerlord multiplayer is basically dead. not just like no players, but the servers for most game modes are generally busted. taleworlds hosed that up bad. there are still healthy event servers/communities though.

there are a few pretty active multiplayer mods. cRPG (https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2878356589) is probably still pretty active and I think they improved on a lot of the default server stability problems. Persistent Empires is apparently going to be a thing? vOv

Highly recommend anyone who enjoys bannerlord and might want more to check out M&B warband. looks like ancient rear end but arguably plays better (a lot cleaner mechanics) and has a bunch of pretty incredible total conversion mods. bannerlord's got some now, but warband still holds up.

also star sector

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

WarpDogs posted:

for me i think the sense of urgency ties all the random noodling around the galaxy together in a compelling way that the other two games fail at, like in me1 you were literally postponing the main quest called "a race against time" to drive around a bunch of planets fighting pirates and finding minerals (my personal headcanon is that all those missions happen between the end of me1 and the beginning of me2 lol, only way it makes sense), and then in me2 it feels just feels like you're biding your time in between the illusive man calling you up and telling you what to do.

i mean obviously there are big problems with me3, they clearly didn't really know how they wanted to end things, it clearly suffers from a rushed development cycle, the leviathan dlc is fun gameplay-wise but explains what doesn't need to be explained, etc. but. it's my favorite game of the series, it just works for me. fun times. mid last year i fizzled out on replaying the trilogy in the middle of the second game, i should pick it back up.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Cuttlefush posted:

also star sector

everyone please come play starsector with us, it is one of the good Games threads

I need more people to back me up in saying that the conquest is the best ship

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Psycho Landlord posted:

everyone please come play starsector with us, it is one of the good Games threads

I need more people to back me up in saying that the conquest is the best ship

it's the best big ship. midline ftw

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

i also like mass effects 1-3 a whole lot so when i say one or another is my favorite i dont mean to start gaming wars or whatever lol, they're all fun, i think every game has many valild reasons to be a favorite.

i preordered andromeda and played it at launch but because it suffers from bioware syndrome of starting in an extremely slow/boring way i bounced right off it and have never tried again. maybe one day, i've heard the combat is real good for what it is.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

If you like to optimize stupid builds andromeda is apparently like crack but I'm weak and was never able to get over all the other jank to find out

Cuttlefush posted:

midline ftw

:hai:

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
combat in andromeda rules. most fluid and responsive of all MEs. played the most powerful Vanguard ive ever played in that. there is a mod that makes the combat even more responsive and it is incredible

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Starsector is incredible, and what is most incredible is how much the Conquest sucks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008
trying to level my crafting jobs in FFXIV is killing me. I think I'm gonna re-install Crusader Kings 3 or somethin