Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"

thehoodie posted:

similar question, how is d2 resurrected. thinking about getting one or the other

wait, i just found the Prime Evil Collection, which seems to give both d2 and d3 for less than the price of either individually... am i missing something here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lt. Broccoli
Jun 4, 2006

It just sits there. Completely harmless.

thehoodie posted:

similar question, how is d2 resurrected. thinking about getting one or the other

It runs decently and has the good control scheme from d3, its actually better than m/kb due to the way d2 handled skills. Also has cross characters with pc if you care, maybe crossplay? Fun nostalgia trip but I think d3 is the superior choice here.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Looper posted:

ezlo is so cute, i never understood the complaints about him

His main problem is he doesn't have enough situation specific dialogue so the help button he's assigned to ends up being generally unhelpful. It's usually more of a reminder of where you are supposed to be going rather than any kind of actual hint.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

d2 is a better game than d3 in every conceivable way, and d2r runs and controls great on switch

Ramie
Mar 2, 2021

i'm not one of those people that think each of the 24 skills should have a had a markedly different line reading (how??) but i'll cop admit to not seeing much in the way of identifiable differences in voice direction between individual skills. maaaaybe some noticeable trends between the 4 main groupings?

the textual voice and the voice acting owns though. here's my favorite bit of cut audio content, not spoilery and standalone

i would listen to a DE audiobook

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

They could've hammed it up, making something like shivers sound like a paranoid nervous wreck or have Authority BOOM his lines out. It would've been cheesy and over-the-top and would've missed the point entirely. What makes this better is that the only voice to ham it up is Drama which should come as a surprise to no one, because that's the point.

The execution is far more subtle than exaggeration. Again the writing helps as every facet has an actual written 'voice'. The things they say are different and the way they are said aren't the same, that the actor then manages to read them a bit, and it's ever so slightly a bit, differently is incredible. I'd have to hear them all again to better pin-point it and explain it, but I know when Perception is talking vs Logic vs Drama vs the Narrator himself without having to read who said what. Brown, the voice actor, came from it as a rapper and would give every voice a different rhythm and flow, even if the rhymes and beat weren't there. You can feel the pacing play its part even if the actual tone is relatively the same.

It's all in the delivery and it's terrific. The fact that they're not blatantly different is even better since they're all the protagonist anyway, so they shouldn't sound altogether different. If the game only had the Narrator and the Psyche's be that good that'd be one thing, but the only cast is stellar. Again it's as good as the best animated works, no joke.

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

Geckoagua posted:

It runs decently and has the good control scheme from d3, its actually better than m/kb due to the way d2 handled skills. Also has cross characters with pc if you care, maybe crossplay? Fun nostalgia trip but I think d3 is the superior choice here.

Wait D2R on Switch has the same controls as D3? I thought I'd seen shots of it with on on-screen cursor and had lost interest.

Fyodorovich
Dec 12, 2004

MASSACRE, at Lyons, i. 336; caused by jealousy, iii. 260

Prophet of Nixon posted:

Wait D2R on Switch has the same controls as D3? I thought I'd seen shots of it with on on-screen cursor and had lost interest.

D2R controls beautifully, and even playing a class where having cursor targeting “matter” for like, teleport or whatever (I guess this is all classes because lol Enigma) it still feels and plays amazingly.

Edit: to be clear, there’s no cursor on switch.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
I have 475h+ according to my profile, and that was mostly solo Fury Werewolf in Hell, to give you an idea of the level maneuverability the controls are capable of. :)

Fyodorovich
Dec 12, 2004

It’s a game I’ve consistently come back to for 20 years, and playing on the Switch has been the most fun imo. Well worth the price of entry if the game is your thing.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

I mostly run Necromancer and Flame Druid and I think Diablo 2 works perfectly on Switch. Great version

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

widespread posted:

How well does it run, though. Maybe being portable and/or potent would make it a fun side game.

Diablo 3 runs spectacularly at 60 fps it's like the gold standard for switch games. Remember it originally came out in 2011.

It can chug a *little* bit if you are at endgame multiplayer with a ton of poo poo going on. By yourself it's fine all the way through though.

D2R runs fine but at 30 fps, it's got more graphical bells and whistles going on.

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"
sweet, thanks y'all - i just picked up the prime evil collection which has both d2 and d3. excited!

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

drat Metroid Prime is a good game. Played a lot this afternoon, all the way to the thermal visor.

Trips through Lava zone so far: 2

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
D2 owns

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Put the Metroid game with the diablos.

Metroid Prime Evil collection.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

John Wick of Dogs posted:

drat Metroid Prime is a good game. Played a lot this afternoon, all the way to the thermal visor.

Trips through Lava zone so far: 2

I'm strolling around and scanning and enjoying it. I realized that I'm not sure I ever beat this game, Phendrana Drifts seems like my last memory of this place

:corsair:

Fyodorovich
Dec 12, 2004

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Put the Metroid game with the diablos.

Metroid Prime Evil collection.

Desert island material, right there

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

mdemone posted:

I'm strolling around and scanning and enjoying it. I realized that I'm not sure I ever beat this game, Phendrana Drifts seems like my last memory of this place

:corsair:

I've got 50% scans already, which is weird because it doesn't feel like I'm that far

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
Can you play d2 and 3 casually without getting deep into farming for drops and all that bullshit

Fyodorovich
Dec 12, 2004

Levitate posted:

Can you play d2 and 3 casually without getting deep into farming for drops and all that bullshit

D3 absolutely, D2 as well if you play solo self-found (a great way to play imo)

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

yes, absolutely

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
Yeah I don’t have time to get invested in the deep end game farming stuff but just dinking around to relive the days of my youth when D1 and 2!came out

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

John Wick of Dogs posted:

I've got 50% scans already, which is weird because it doesn't feel like I'm that far

Well, a lot of stuff you scan shows up again throughout, like creatures, enemies, or stuff like that. If they had different categories of scans, your creature one might be already almost done, chozo lore might be halfway, and space pirate data might be maybe a 3rd. Of course, I'm just guessing at where you are, generally, or where I was when I got 50% scans.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
D2R is incredibly chill for normal and nightmare but you’ll want to kill yourself if you’re not following a build guide in hell.

Ramie
Mar 2, 2021

does Diablo II stil have that thing where half the skill tree is kind of rear end for most classes? that might have never actually been the case and i'm going off of mistaken impressions as a teen

i guess i'll not bite until Blizz cleans their poo poo up though

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

catgirlgenius posted:

does Diablo II stil have that thing where half the skill tree is kind of rear end for most classes? that might have never actually been the case and i'm going off of mistaken impressions as a teen

They're never going to make D2 as user friendly as 3. It would piss off way too many people.

I don't have nostalgia for D2 and found it kind of a pain to play. I'll give it another shot later but 3 was much easier to understand and therefore more fun faster.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

An Actual Princess posted:

d2 is a better game than d3 in every conceivable way, and d2r runs and controls great on switch

it's only 12 minutes into a new day but i don't think i'll read anything more wrong today

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

thehoodie posted:

wait, i just found the Prime Evil Collection, which seems to give both d2 and d3 for less than the price of either individually... am i missing something here?

I only realised this after I bought D3 but yeah looks like you can buy that pack for cheaper and get more game 😳😳

the rat fandom
Apr 28, 2010

worms butthole guy posted:

You know what would be cool Switch thread? A Resident Evil collection of the original versions of RE1, RE2 & RE3. Maybe throw in Dino Crisis and DC2 while they're at it.

:yeah:

Lt. Broccoli
Jun 4, 2006

It just sits there. Completely harmless.

catgirlgenius posted:

The team who made it recently dropped a patch that tries to buff the bad skills in the trees. I don’t know how effective it was but people seem to like it, things like pet druids suddenly became realistic.

If I’m remembering right the game was made by vicarious which was bought out by blizzard, if that gives you any feeling of separation.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Levitate posted:

Until you get to the boss of Act 2 at least

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
My kid got Mario Odyssey (which he has already beaten but plenty of moons to get) and Luigi's mansion 3 for his birthday. Having never played much Nintendo I'm kind of surprised how big a mechanics departure Luigi is. Hell of a lot of buttons to keep track of for him

So far all the main name games we've been trying out have been really good - Mario, yoshi crafted world, Luigi, demos of the various Kirbys. The older Mario ports haven't clicked, sadly.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
I barely pay attention to this stuff, how often do they actually add games to the NES/SNES/N64/GBA apps? Just like a couple of them drop 2-3 times a year or is it actually more often?

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
usually every couple of months or so

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Item Getter posted:

I barely pay attention to this stuff, how often do they actually add games to the NES/SNES/N64/GBA apps? Just like a couple of them drop 2-3 times a year or is it actually more often?

You'll get whatever poo poo Jaleco games Nintendo feels like tossing out and thank them for it.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Looper posted:

usually every couple of months or so

N64 releases were consistently monthly for a spell.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
I got the game vouchers and used one to preorder BOTW2, what other game should I get? Haven't touched my Switch since Animal Crossing so anything newer is fair game. Do the latest Pokemon games still run like poo poo? Should I get Arceus instead?

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

gey muckle mowser posted:

I got the game vouchers and used one to preorder BOTW2, what other game should I get? Haven't touched my Switch since Animal Crossing so anything newer is fair game. Do the latest Pokemon games still run like poo poo? Should I get Arceus instead?

Metroid Prime if thats vouchet, no, maybe later

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

wizard2 posted:

Metroid Prime if thats vouchet, no, maybe later

Metroid prime is good, but not "spend a voucher you bought for $50 on a $40 game" good.