Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Cannon_Fodder posted:

How do civilians get out of places like this? I want to believe that they've all been evacuated but there's got to be enough Florida Man Stays To Ride Out Hurricane that must be civ around, right?

One thing worth noting is that Bakhmut IS in Eastern Ukraine, historically the part that's most sympathetic to pro-Russian views - that's why 2014 targeted it, after all. If there's any civilians left they're either legendarily stubborn or quietly sympathetic to the Russians, though we'll have to see how long they stay that way under occupation.

There was an Economist article a bit ago featuring the diary of a mobilized Ukrainian office manager turned soldier, and at one point he mentioned arriving on station at the frontlines and having random grannies come up say "We don't care who is the government, as long as there is no war." Later a crying girl showed up in the middle of the night telling them that they'd been betrayed and the locals had passed their locations on to the Russians. The guy moved his troops out immediately and shortly afterwards their positions were shelled.

Not saying to be clear that oh yeah those areas are actually totally sympathetic to Russia and should be ceded to them - it's just that those who were sympathetic to Ukraine mostly saw the writing on the wall and bugged the gently caress out, leaving only those who figure they might be able to work a decent future under the Russians. Not to mention of course that nobody likes living in a war zone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯
BBC has a short article about a Ukrainian helicopter pilot, and am I losing my mind or does he have cat whiskers on his mask?

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-64779505.amp

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

and a nose as well I think.

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

Definitely watching Hentai on that screen

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

In a group chat of guys I went to gunsmith school with, we often share footage. Someone posted a racing drone kill, and I made the joke about how this war is so much scarier than mine, and "I swear to God I know I get clapped by some loving drone covered in anime girls stickers. I couldn't respect myself in the afterlife."

Like three days later, there was a picture of a group of drone bombers, and all their drones were covered in anime stickers. It was like I willed it to myself.

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

Carth Dookie posted:

Uwukranian

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

bulletsponge13 posted:

In a group chat of guys I went to gunsmith school with, we often share footage. Someone posted a racing drone kill, and I made the joke about how this war is so much scarier than mine, and "I swear to God I know I get clapped by some loving drone covered in anime girls stickers. I couldn't respect myself in the afterlife."

Like three days later, there was a picture of a group of drone bombers, and all their drones were covered in anime stickers. It was like I willed it to myself.
This is a very DIY sort of war, and that means anime stickers

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Nessus posted:

This is a very DIY sort of war, and that means anime stickers

There was also that photo early on in the war about that one Polish volunteer helping load Ukrainian aid supplies while wearing a hentai hoodie.

Surprised the man didn't spontaneously combust from embarrassment the moment he walked out his door.

Pot Smoke Phoenix
Aug 15, 2007

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Dinosaur Gum

Cool Kids Club Soda posted:

BBC has a short article about a Ukrainian helicopter pilot, and am I losing my mind or does he have cat whiskers on his mask?

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-64779505.amp

Carth Dookie posted:

Thank you :)

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Tomn posted:

There was also that photo early on in the war about that one Polish volunteer helping load Ukrainian aid supplies while wearing a hentai hoodie.

Surprised the man didn't spontaneously combust from embarrassment the moment he walked out his door.
The sort of commitment that leads you to wear your hentai hoodie outdoors seems to have overlap with martial courage, which has terrifying implications.

Jimmy Smuts
Aug 8, 2000

Tomn posted:

a hentai hoodie.
Yeah so apparently if you don't know what this is and are gonna look this up, turn on safesearch or the equivalent, I just found out the hard way :nws:
edit: also, don't look it up

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
*desperately trying to get DALL-E to make hentai Memphis Belle-san nose art*

tiaz
Jul 1, 2004

PICK UP THAT PRESENT.

Zelensky's Zealots

Jimmy Smuts posted:

Yeah so apparently if you don't know what this is and are gonna look this up, turn on safesearch or the equivalent, I just found out the hard way :nws:
edit: also, don't look it up

welcome to that particular set of watchlists, Jimmy Smuts!

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
I can't even fathom the Kremlin doing a propaganda piece about the evil satanic homonazi west centered around hentai hoodies.
...maybe I shouldn't.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

bulletsponge13 posted:

and the Ukranians are using them to drop dildos on their enemies.

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.
-Any fault of MG3 ( recoil, too fast RoF, misfeed issues) is negated by the fun factor of brrrrrrrrrrrrrrt.
-Easiest way to jam a MG3 is to fully depress the trigger as fast as you can with an aggressive jerk.
-these two things are not interrelated in any way.

Also the FDF personal AA doctrine (everyone pepper the sky) was as per handman’s soldierbook to force enemy rotary transport assets to re-assess their landing spot / force rotaries to pull higher up where they would be visible to actual AA assets. It was also as mentioned before only a last-case scenario and should be used in a coordinated fashion; private snuffy is *not* meant to individually decide to take the famous lay-on-back-and-PKM-the-sky yoga pose illustrated in the soldierman’s handbook unless told so by someone.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

EorayMel posted:

I can't even fathom the Kremlin doing a propaganda piece about the evil satanic homonazi west centered around hentai hoodies.
...maybe I shouldn't.
The day Putin disrespects Anime is the new battleship Aurora strike.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

CommieGIR posted:

Its pretty high, yup. A proud tradition inherited from its MG42 cousin.

Inherited? Uhhh…

Theree are plenty in circulation that are the exact same weapon. They are rechambered. Lot of the Finnish MG-3s I saw had ”unfortunate” stamps and markings from the 40s. Same with at least one of the Italian MG-3s I’ve fired.

There is a huge mix-mash of ”modern” MG-3s and there is a legit non-zero chance the MG in that tweet is in Ukraine for the second time.

Edit: mind you the correct term I guess for many of these old rechambers is ”MG-2” and some ”MG-1” was also combination of new and old. What’s called MG-3 might not be a true MG-3.

Vahakyla fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Feb 27, 2023

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Can we not?

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Vahakyla posted:

Inherited? Uhhh…

Theree are plenty in circulation that are the exact same weapon. They are rechambered. Lot of the Finnish MG-3s I saw had ”unfortunate” stamps and markings from the 40s. Same with at least one of the Italian MG-3s I’ve fired.

There is a huge mix-mash of ”modern” MG-3s and there is a legit non-zero chance the MG in that tweet is in Ukraine for the second time.

No poo poo? I would have figured that any truly ancient guns would have been retired or totally clapped out in the intervening 75 years.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Arrath posted:

No poo poo? I would have figured that any truly ancient guns would have been retired or totally clapped out in the intervening 75 years.

The receiver doesn't really see a lot of wear and tear. Most of the M2 .50 caliber machine guns I saw in the army were made during WWII, but the interior parts and barrel would have been replaced a few times along the way.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Yeah US Army M2s I saw were mostly WW2 also. I’m gonna take a stab that it is just pure statistics since that would be the year group with the most obscenely highest production numbers.

Borscht
Jun 4, 2011

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.

McNally posted:

The receiver doesn't really see a lot of wear and tear. Most of the M2 .50 caliber machine guns I saw in the army were made during WWII, but the interior parts and barrel would have been replaced a few times along the way.

Can confirm; I have fired an MG3 that had ”MGXX /MG3-7.62mm stampings on the receiver on a Leo2A4. Unfortunately M2s dont have a similar dead-easy recognition way to distinguish the new construction from ye olde ones.

Kallikaa
Jun 13, 2001
https://twitter.com/elzuzurper/status/1629427850230022147

Cute but I dunno, I guess I just don't get the thought process

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Valtonen posted:

Unfortunately M2s dont have a similar dead-easy recognition way to distinguish the new construction from ye olde ones.

Sure there is. You look at the manufacturer. If it was made by the AC Spark Plug Division of General Motors, it was made during WWII. If it was made by Savage Arms, it was made during WWII. If you can't read the manufacturer because it's worn away, it was made during WWII.

A lot of the more recent M2s have a manufacture date on them. My platoon in Iraq had one made the month I was born and one made the month I joined the army.

It was a little weird.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

freeasinbeer posted:

It’s concern trolling and whataboutism.

They’ll also deny things like todays reporting around the bodies pulled out of izyum today, and preemptively accused ukraine of war crimes during the major offensive when they took it as it became clear their side was losing.

Really vile people.

Pardon? Would you like to clarify who you're calling vile people, because I don't think what you've just said applies to anyone here who was taking part in the conversation.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Kallikaa posted:

https://twitter.com/elzuzurper/status/1629427850230022147

Cute but I dunno, I guess I just don't get the thought process

it's AI but yeah, like not even "ukraine + leopard" just like war cat?

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

Pardon? Would you like to clarify who you're calling vile people, because I don't think what you've just said applies to anyone here who was taking part in the conversation.

This was a follow up to the discussion folks were having about the prevalence of Nazi symbols in ukraine.

For the most part folks that constantly bring up Azov as proof ukraine is bad are concern trolling, or justifying their support of Russia. It’s also used to derail and poo poo up discussions where folks rehash America is bad.

And depending on how aggressively the person making that argument is taking it, range from merely implying Zelenskyy is Nazi adjacent to writing off all of Ukraine and absolving Putin of anything.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I don't think being uncomfortable with, or having questions about why anyone is wearing Nazi symbols is something that you can honestly dismiss as "concern trolling" or an indicator of any form of partisanship beyond not being comfortable with the display of Nazi symbols. But that's a derail I cannot be arsed to pursue, and I don't think the mods would appreciate.

It'd be cool if we could avoid sweeping offensive generalisations in this thread though. It's usually pretty good about it.

Lovely Joe Stalin fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Feb 27, 2023

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Arrath posted:

You must have missed the Vickers stuff a few months back. Turns out water-cooled MGs still have some valuable qualities.

https://www.economist.com/the-economist-explains/2022/05/11/why-ukraines-army-still-uses-a-100-year-old-machinegun

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Vahakyla posted:

Inherited? Uhhh…

Edit: mind you the correct term I guess for many of these old rechambers is ”MG-2” and some ”MG-1” was also combination of new and old. What’s called MG-3 might not be a true MG-3.

20 years back, a friend who did his basic service here in austria casually mentioned that the MG that they trained on still had the Reichsadler somewhat visible, but new markings stamped over and the swastika filed off.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I think a point of nuance that is missed is that for all the reasons that Russia thinks of Nazis as bad because they were 'Westerners who fought against Russia' because that's what the USSR defined them as, there's a lot of people in Ukraine who are subject to the same perceptual bias.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
Morning cereal. Afaik, they still haven't destroyed a single HIMARS

https://twitter.com/Tendar/status/1629991892715819010

https://twitter.com/Lyla_lilas/status/1629906366163742720

Vatnik soup, served in an old shoe

https://twitter.com/P_Kallioniemi/status/1629865688721489927

TCD posted:

A couple of Twitter sources are mentioning a possible Ukraine mechanized counter attack right now that are using the flooded land as part of it.

Could just be BS, or part of a withdrawal but...

A polish and german guy was posting this yesterday evening. So far no confirmation. This here is worded more carefully though.

https://twitter.com/mhmck/status/1630070263185301505

The usual firehoses of semi-true and made up stuff like Chuck Pfarrer stuff are touting it, so it's not a good sign.

Power Khan fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Feb 27, 2023

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

I just want to say that this thread has always been outstanding. Excellent, credible commentary from people with relevant experience. It's actually been my primary source of information about the war, because I know the regulars are much better able to sort truth from bullshit than I.

I really hope it stays this way.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/Flash_news_ua/status/1630078649486409731
Overnight massive drone attack was launched at Ukraine. 14 Shaheds of which 11 were shot down, unfortunately three got through in Khmelnitskiy. There was damage to several buildings, a person was killed and a few more injured.

Splorange
Feb 23, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YqWUyjpbJX8

Dropped some hours ago. I feel like I've known a few guys like this, mostly good people.

(edit: if you're not familiar with lindybeige, there's always long tangents, this time it's the ad break that waffles on..)

Splorange fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Feb 27, 2023

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

my god. it's full of posts

Valtonen posted:

-Any fault of MG3 ( recoil, too fast RoF, misfeed issues) is negated by the fun factor of brrrrrrrrrrrrrrt.
-Easiest way to jam a MG3 is to fully depress the trigger as fast as you can with an aggressive jerk.
-these two things are not interrelated in any way.

What I'm learning from this is that machine guns are very much like eastern bloc motorcycles.

Apologies for missing it if it was posted before. Belarussian partisans are claiming responsibility for blowing up a Russian A-50 at an airport near Minsk.

https://twitter.com/KyivIndependent/status/1629939166011183104

zone
Dec 6, 2016

armpit_enjoyer posted:

What I'm learning from this is that machine guns are very much like eastern bloc motorcycles.

Apologies for missing it if it was posted before. Belarussian partisans are claiming responsibility for blowing up a Russian A-50 at an airport near Minsk.

https://twitter.com/KyivIndependent/status/1629939166011183104

Was posted before, but Pro-Russian sources also confirmed it later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Splorange posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YqWUyjpbJX8

Dropped some hours ago. I feel like I've known a few guys like this, mostly good people.

(edit: if you're not familiar with lindybeige, there's always long tangents, this time it's the ad break that waffles on..)

The other videos with the guy are super entertaining too