Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Basically all the raids before Ivalice are boring now imho, if not just because most classes play like butt pre-70 or so

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Detheros posted:

I just leave nier raids and do something else tbh

I'll take an agonizingly long Nier raid over Lab any day. It's a coinflip on Syrcus because the music in Syrcus kinda slaps.

But Lab is just so loving awful.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Syrcus has the hat.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Kazy posted:

LotA isn't even a real Labrynth :mad:

The ancients are like 12 feet tall, it's real hard to build a labyrinth for them.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Aphrodite posted:

The ancients are like 12 feet tall, it's real hard to build a labyrinth for them.

The ancients in question are the Allagans, not the other ancients. :v:

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Feb 26, 2023

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Hard-queueing Tower to get the Popola set, gently caress the haters :yokotaro:

Speaking of Alliance roulette though, yesterday I got into a Void Ark with four other SMNs, a SGE and a WHM who got dropped and replaced with a SCH. Combined with the WAR tank it was like a high school book club plus one jock who enjoys hanging out with the nerds. :3:

Bloody Pom fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Feb 26, 2023

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
The onion set owns but you can get a better dyeable version now for trophy crystals so there's not much point unless you're helping a sprout

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Queue for E8 in 8-man raids.

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

a cartoon duck posted:

it's insanely important to pull the dragon as far north as possible so we have even more time to ignore all the skeletons running towards the dragon and exploding

are there any other bosses where the accepted strategy is clearly wrong

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Zokari posted:

Only cowards eat the fruits on Aurum Vale

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Zokari posted:

for rofocale everyone stays in the center for his flashy rear end attack even though you take less damage on the sides of the ring

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Detheros posted:

for rofocale everyone stays in the center for his flashy rear end attack even though you take less damage on the sides of the ring

wait seriously

lol

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

Detheros posted:

It's not well telegraphed, but far as I am aware it's line falloff damage and you're "supposed" to track him as he goes around the arena then run to the side relative to where he stops.

Not sure that I'd call stacking in the middle and just healing wrong exactly, since it's not dangerous and stacking makes healing up the extra damage trivial. It doesn't cost anything, unlike the evil dragon north strat.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

I’m only ever in LotA with the dumbest healers on Earth so any time someone tried tanking in the center 75% of the entire raid goes down.

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

It's educational. That will be an important lesson. :skeltal:

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

hopeandjoy posted:

I’m only ever in LotA with the dumbest healers on Earth so any time someone tried tanking in the center 75% of the entire raid goes down.

75% of the raid being dead but still managing to win is the ideal outcome for an Alliance Raid boss.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Timing the Death Gaze kill so everyone flies offstage is ideal (so long as you slapped Arm's Length first)

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.

hopeandjoy posted:

I did a quick fate on my 80 WHM today to level up and had to rez someone and spent so much time finding the button.

So, I don’t play healers for reasons other than the amaro

TopHatGenius
Oct 3, 2008

something feels
different

Hot Rope Guy

super sweet best pal posted:

Tank the dragon in the center!

The aforementioned "Bone Zone" is the ideal place to be. Make the healers do a little something. And watch the really undergeared players explode. :getin:

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Runa posted:

wait seriously

lol

yeah it’s a line prox damage but no one really runs to the side because even on day 1 the full damage wasn’t really that much more than a typical transition raidwide

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Day 1 I absolutely saw some confused deaths at the center wondering what they screwed up but it wasn't a wipe so everyone just soldiered on. After all the deaths on Hashmal it was probably a relief.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Everyone loves hanging around the center for any big attack for some reason.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

That's because too many fights have gather points in the center.

Although speaking of braindead Alliance Roulette, Void Ark is a cakewalk. The bosses are easy, the trash is easy, the only possible gently caress up point is if the tanks don't separate the adds during the last boss and even that is survivable to an extent these days.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Zokari posted:

for p6s in the current savage tier, there's a limit cut style mechanic where every player gets hit by a super-wide cleave in sequential order. you could point odd-numbered cleaves northwest and even-numbered cleaves northwest, and simply stand so far in the boss' hitbox you can slide in and out of cleave-pointing position in the space of a slide-cast, but instead party finder decided the best strat is the "diamond weapon limit cut", where you point the cleaves in all four intercardinal directions, with tiny safe slices east and west and way greater distances to direct cleaves which sucks as a caster. naturally if you try to make a pf party with the nw/ne strat, most people won't join you because it's not the one strat they learned from some half-assed day 1 guide, and the ones who do join didn't read your pf description and will throw a hissy-fit when they realise your party uses a different strat

then the latest extreme trial with another limit cut mechanic where people actually do use the ne/nw method. i haven't actually gone back to p6s in a hot minute so i dunno if people would apply these new lessons to other still-current fights, but knowing pf they will never stop being set in their terrible ways

on the flipside, the current unreal trial has a mechanic where the best way to deal with it is to do it the "wrong" way: a surprisingly hard-hitting line stack where missing even one person kills everyone in it, except dying in that phase actually heals you to full and puts you in a zombie state where you run up to and auto the closest other player, so the easiest way is to just have the stack haver eat it solo and not even suffer a weakness penalty for it

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

My static team doesn't look up any guides or information about fights. We pretty quickly settled on the NE/NW strat and after we finished the fight we looked up what the standard strats are because it's fun to see where we naturally landed on the party finder strat and where it's different.

When we learned what PF strat was for photogenic cells, we were confused and horrified.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

a cartoon duck posted:

for p6s in the current savage tier, there's a limit cut style mechanic where every player gets hit by a super-wide cleave in sequential order. you could point odd-numbered cleaves northwest and even-numbered cleaves northwest, and simply stand so far in the boss' hitbox you can slide in and out of cleave-pointing position in the space of a slide-cast, but instead party finder decided the best strat is the "diamond weapon limit cut", where you point the cleaves in all four intercardinal directions, with tiny safe slices east and west and way greater distances to direct cleaves which sucks as a caster. naturally if you try to make a pf party with the nw/ne strat, most people won't join you because it's not the one strat they learned from some half-assed day 1 guide, and the ones who do join didn't read your pf description and will throw a hissy-fit when they realise your party uses a different strat

The reason is because doing four directions gives plenty of time to run out and the other person to run in before it comes back around. When it's every other swing you get too many idiots who don't stand right.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Galaga Galaxian posted:

The ancients in question are the Allagans, not the other ancients. :v:

You seen the size of Xande and Amon? Allag loved cosmetic bone-lengthening genetic-surgery.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Yeah, the Allagans loved them some giant people. A good chunk of their nobility underwent titanizing and their mad descendants still clog Mor Dhona's roads to the Crystal Tower.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
https://twitter.com/CeejayXIV/status/1629734249443082240

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Kwyndig posted:

Yeah, the Allagans loved them some giant people. A good chunk of their nobility underwent titanizing and their mad descendants still clog Mor Dhona's roads to the Crystal Tower.

Specifically, they used Sephirot's ability to grow huge to beef themselves up to large lad sizes.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

YggiDee posted:

Timing the Death Gaze kill so everyone flies offstage is ideal (so long as you slapped Arm's Length first)

Tag yourself with the triangle marker first so people follow you, then run away from the safe spot and arm's length the knockback

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I would never do something so depraved. Not on my home DC anyway.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

YggiDee posted:

I would never do something so depraved. Not on my home DC anyway.

When I was playing Age of Wushu, the goon clan had a couple hard rules:
A) Don't gently caress with the group Tai Chi practice that gives everyone XP bonuses.
B) If you do gently caress with it, use a non-clan alt.
Your statement reminded me of that.

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

Don't forget, while Arm's Length has a long cooldown, gap closers do not, and they do a great job of helping you bait sprouts into unsafe zones survive the knockbacks, if you time them right.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Maximum Tomfoolery posted:

Don't forget, while Arm's Length has a long cooldown, gap closers do not, and they do a great job of helping you bait sprouts into unsafe zones survive the knockbacks, if you time them right.

Wait really

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

Yeah, there's even a lot of knockbacks that can't be blocked with Arm's Length, but gap closers will cancel pushes every* time. Second boss of the first EW alliance raid has one that I make a point to cancel, just as a flex.

*There may be pushes that are too fast for this to reasonably work on, like Lakshmi's big push, if not mitigated by the duty action. Also most gap closers require a target to dash to, which isn't always available.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

It's Stormblood Time! Bring your helmet, we're goin' back to war

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Bruceski posted:

The reason is because doing four directions gives plenty of time to run out and the other person to run in before it comes back around. When it's every other swing you get too many idiots who don't stand right.

the actual reason is that the previous half-remembered instance of limit cut cleaves used that positioning, except for diamond weapon it was because of the massive gaping hole in the center of the arena that necessitated it. people manage it just fine in the latest extreme trial, and that's people farming content where they try their hardest to get as close to a vegetative state as humanly possible, i'm sure people doing savage raids once a week can handle counting to eight early on in a fight

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Gap closing mid-knockback is one of the coolest feelings in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

i like watching the boss spin in a circle