Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
They stole the fuckin' team. Can't have poo poo in Detroit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

JosefStalinator posted:

Oh my word, I'm simming the season right now and something caught my eye, completely unnoticed:

Something look off?

Stranger things have happened, but wow.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

Red posted:

Stranger things have happened, but wow.

EDIT: Aaaaand he's gone!

JosefStalinator fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Feb 27, 2023

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

JosefStalinator posted:

Oh my word, I'm simming the season right now and something caught my eye, completely unnoticed:

Something look off?

:tviv:

This is gonna be GREAT

Red
Apr 15, 2003

JosefStalinator posted:

EDIT: Aaaaand he's gone!

Please modify my petition to change the Nationals to the Grays to include changing Indy's name to anything else.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

someone explain it for me i please, i don't know baseball

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

biosterous posted:

someone explain it for me i please, i don't know baseball

The extreme tl;dr: Sometimes, very rarely, teams move as a result of getting bought out, or just moving to a more profitable market. Detroit lost its baseball team to Indianapolis.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Monathin posted:

The extreme tl;dr: Sometimes, very rarely, teams move as a result of getting bought out, or just moving to a more profitable market. Detroit lost its baseball team to Indianapolis.

This is a pretty weird one too because Detroit has had its team since 1901 and I don't think they've been at much risk of relocation any time recently, unlike a LOT of other franchises. Maybe a Tigers fan goon can correct me though. Truly bizarre.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Monathin posted:

I blame Bob Irsey.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
More like the Indianapolis Clowns, amirite?

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer
2033 MLB Season

2032 was, I think, one of our best goon years. We've more or less hit our goon playing peak as our players are reaching their primes - fewer and fewer are under team control, more are getting paid, and just about everyone's at least had their shot in the bigs.

Last season we also saw Vegeta win a championship with the White Sox, which I was very excited for. Still curious if other deserving goons like Kalan or Saito will ever get their chance, or if Replica will get one since she JUST missed the Tigers' championship by one year. And will anyone end up with more than one?

Not all was well last year though, as a great number of goons are plateauing - and Reggie Blank had an injury-ridden, horrible season. His ratings took a bit of a dive - is this a sign of decline, or just a blip?

And what of our ever homeless Dugless? Will he be the Bobby Bonds of our goons, playing a year or two on every team? Or will free agency see him finally sign a big, multi-year deal?

Before I even remember to take stock of the free agents, Goku signs a minor league deal with the Cubs, staying alive.

With Goku's signing, only Dugless, Malysz, and Tubbs are waiting to find new teams.

Adam Malysz doesn't wait long to sign a minor league deal with Boston. This is a bit disappointing as Malysz has actually been in the majors consistently since 2026, never being demoted once.

Just before Spring Training our favorite boney boy Steve McGee is released by Colorado, thrusting him into free agency.

Only Mr. Panda and Tukhachevsky don't make the Spring majors rosters. Dugless, McGee, and Tubbs are still waiting on contracts!

The - what? The Golden Knights?

What. WHAT!? That's not an expansion team goons! Without my knowledge or consent, it appears that the Detroit Tigers were relocated to Indianapolis.

I have no idea when this happened - I scoured the old news articles and didn't see it anywhere! This also had to have JUST happened because in the screenshots between seasons they were definitely still Detroit.

Enjoy your new uniforms.

Oh wait, I found it:

At least it's only 250 miles or so! Mike must be rolling over in his grave. I love that the team just up and moved like a month before Spring Training too - good thing Indy happened to have a 45k capacity baseball stadium waiting for it. :rolleyes:

I can't believe this - thank goodness Sir Plusse is not here to see this. I guess Replica never will get her Tigers ring, and I wonder how much longer Blank and McCracken will have to endure this. Do we let this continue or give the Detroit goons a chance to at least rename their team?

I did find out that Walker Beuhler is working on his PhD, though.

Another year, another awful set of Dugless rumors. Just give him a multi-year deal, drat it!

Spring comes and goes, with no big changes - Tubbs and Dugless are still not signed to any team.

Seven goons start in the minors, but only one below AAA, which is a good sign! Steve McGee is back in the Dodgers org, so his little scare was shortlived hopefully.

Rich Mahogany and Sir Plusse are at least beginning the season as relievers - with rich recording a save in his first chance as Oakland's dedicated closer. Sir Plusse is listed as a long reliever/emergency SP so he may end up a starter again as well.

The reigning World Series Champion White Sox once again sent Vegeta out to start the season - and he did so magnificently, pitching 6 scoreless innings with 8 strikeouts.

The Giants have chased Dugless every single year that he's been available, and they FINALLY get him for 2033. Another one year deal though? Come the gently caress on!

But then, 3 days later:

Lol. The washboard abs are just, not strong enough.

And they keep getting worse! :negative:.

Sir Plusse misses Detroit, apparently - or hate Arizona. Too bad Detroit is no longer an option.

Looks like he's mostly mad that the team sucks, hah!

Here's some good news! Looks like a change in scenery was good for Adam Malysz, who is having a little rebound season in Boston. Considering he hit .186 last season, this is welcome news.

Something far more concerning catches my eye though:

Ever injured Tukhachevsky appears to have a new injury. Here's the problem - he was injured on May 5th and it's... June 12th and they still haven't diagnosed it. I tried simming a few days to get the news article about it but he seems to just be stuck. Dude is definitely the most cursed goon injury-wise.

Jessie Crime showing that women know how to tussle too - and becomes the first lady goon to be suspended for beating up 35 year old Manoah.

Jeffthew returns to the majors for his obligatory 30ish games, but manages to hit safely in 20 of them in a row! Will he finally spend an entire season in the MLB?

Actually - this streak goes back to 2031. They've been demoting the man between his streaks!

I swear, I wonder how many goons had their careers ruined by lovely managing/AI. I guess it's realistic.

Glass' awful 2033 continues with another injury. So much for being an "Iron Man" as he was billed to us at generation.

All-Star time!

Only four goons? I haven't checked the stats yet, but the absence of Replica, Glass, and Dugless bodes poorly. I wonder if the move to Indy hurts the voting of the formerly Detroit goons?

Welp! Reggie Blank wasn't a Golden Knight for long - a blockbuster trade with the Rays sees Blank traded away to Tampa. Keep in mind that this puts Tampa on the hook for the rest of Blank's salary - that's four seasons of $27.4 million each.

Great news for Blank honestly - Tampa has been competitive, whereas Indy is clearly selling off all their talent. Jose Alface is no longer alone in Tampa.

But what of poor Replica, abandoned in Indianapolis with McCracken?

gently caress.

Ahhh! This is turning into an injury season! At least Tukhachevsky finally got a diagnosis - he actually strained his oblique for six weeks and then immediately sprained his knee for another month.

The All-Star game is a stomp in favor of the AL. Reggie gets a hit, Kemping strikes out, Plusse has a nice clean inning, and Vegeta doesn't show for some reason.

I am glad that Plusse got an All-Star nod to be honest - definitely one of the bright spots of an otherwise cursed season. :smith:.

2033 All-Star Batting Stats

Oh my.

Well, Bantoni Kemping is having a good first half, at least! On pace for another 50+ dingers and 150+ RBI, 5 WAR... pretty much firing on all cylinders!

Adam Malysz is also THRIVING in Boston! His 29 year old season is by far the best yet - he's on pace to beat all his personal best records at virtually every stat! Is it the new team? New batter-friendly park? Or just some late maturing? We'll see if it holds.

I doubt Kalan, Mr. Consistency, is complaining either. Especially with the Phillies back in first place in the division :).

Replica and Dugless are both having good seasons - between injuries. Replica actually has the best OPS+ of the bunch, and as noted in the thread earlier, usually has the best ratios of all the goons. But she can't stay healthy long enough to realize it! There's still time, of course, for both of them. Dugless in particular has barely been able to play.

I guess the good news is that few of the goons are having truly abysmal seasons - Snorp and Cooper are definitely disappointed but hardly devastated by their numbers, especially Cooper who still has average and fielding behind him. I'm sure Glass wishes he were doing better, especially with that dreadful .214 average, but the power is still there, I guess.

Clips keeps bouncing between competency and abject failure - he's already put up negative WAR on the season and seems to be the worst player of the goons right now besides maybe McCracken, but at least McCracken can field between his errors. McCracken for his part is bouyed by the fact that Indy is in full rebuild mode and on the hook for another season and a half of his contract, so he'll keep getting chances to redeem himself.

The biggest disappointment I have on here is Saito, who silently missed 5 weeks to an oblique strain and has struggled mightily since. Like Kalan he's been a silent workhorse so when he's not near the top in all categories, I worry.

I also worry because I had hoped that at least EVENTUALLY Cincinnati would be good and get him a chance at a ring. They're 20 games behind at the halfway point.

2033 All-Star Pitching Stats

Okay... okay! That's better!

Vegeta does his usual thing, starting and kicking rear end on the White Sox. They're a dominant .625 in their division so I'm sure he's salivating at the idea of building a dynasty. Those K/9 numbers continue to surprise and delight!

Sir Plusse also is doing well in his role as a reliever - though that FIP concerns me. I think WAR does some weird stuff for relievers so I won't read too much into it - that WHIP is a bit high but the ERA is fine - that HR/9 concerns me too, if they're putting him in high leverage situations. He's currently the 8th inning setup guy.

Charlie!!! :smith: The Angels also have Charlie as their 8th inning setup guy, and he's loving it. His ERA is a bit higher but his other stats suggest he's actually surpassed Plusse, though admittedly with a bit lower use.

Dugless is... good again? He's started 7 games this year and not gone deep, averaging just 5 innings per game, but that's still progress and value if he's pitching a 3 ERA! He's striking dudes out too with nearly a 10 K/9, but also issuing WAY too many walks. We'll see if these hold over the season. I bet his high walk/strikeout rate is tiring him out in games and keeping him from going deep.

Rich's low IP numbers and highish ERA belie the fact that he's doing quite well as the Oakland Closer - currently with 14 saves to 3 blown saves. I know saves aren't really great stats but he's doing his job as a closer, at least. ANd he might get a lot of opportunities - Oakland is actually 55-41 and leading the AL West for once!

Do take note though, Oakland:

Adam is truly in his home element - being in Boston has inspired him into pointless and counter-productive brawls.

Reminder:

Welp. Looking like a lost season for Dugless. This is some bullshit, really, if he ends up as an 80/80 rated player who never spends more than 1 season on a team after the Cubs.

Maybe Tukachevsky will become so injured he'll become invincible like Mr. Burns. Is there a part of this man's body he hasn't broken?

I miss seeing more of these. At least Bantoni is still kicking rear end.

Jon Dowd has been the hero of Tulsa for the better part of 5 years now. He played 12 games in San Diego in 2028 as his only MLB experience.

A tale of two teams - the awful and equally terribly named Golden Knights are eliminated the same day Vegeta's White Sox clinch the division.

I really, really hope Replica gets the gently caress out of there or gets traded.

This wasn't done by me - apparently THE Carlos Beltran went on to coach Saito and his Reds from 31-33, but their dreadful performance has led to hire firing.

Tubbs is a late signing but stays alive and is thriving a bit in the minors - hopefully this keeps him employed another season.

Kalan!!! Now you might think this is just a run of the mill suspension brawl - but this comes on the last day of the season, as the Phillies are poised to go into the playoffs! I don't know if this will disqualify Kalan because it's technically the postseason - PEDs do, but unsure about fighting.

The season ends - how are our goons looking ring-wise?

Good work Indianapolis, you're worse than Mexico City! And Montreal surpassed DC!

Goon ring potential:

NYY - Sisters (didn't appear in MLB)
BOS - Malysz
TOR - Kemping
KCR - Crime, Krillin (Krillin isn't on the roster but IS eligible for a ring, having appeared 4 times in MLB)
OAK - Mahogany
CHW - Vegeta
STL - I just noticed, have we had a single goon ever show up in the Cards org at all?
PHI - Face, Glasscock(didn't appear), Kalan (suspended!)
MIL - Bitchface (did appear, not on roster)
SFG - Dugless (currently on rehab but should rejoin ASAP)

That might be our best odds yet! Of the 12 playoff teams, 8 have goons - including 5 of 6 AL teams. Who is rooting for Bitchface to get a ring for 17 appearances?

Move over Bantoni, Malysz continues to wreck with Boston, crushing a dinger and two RBI to Bantoni's pathetic single RBI and .250 average.

Crime doesn't really bring her A game against the A's, and falls accordingly. Mahogany is now the setup guys and fails to make an appearance yet, but I bet he will in a longer series.

Notice who isn't there? That's right, AJ Kalan, whose suspension DOES carry over into the playoffs. And wouldn't you know it, Philly goes down 3-1 and 5-3 to be crushed by the Padres. Would it be different with Kalan? Maybe, but we'll never know. Absolutely shameful.

Next round!

Malysz cools down a bit, but his Red Sox barely eliminate the Yankees. They lost game 1 5-3 and game 2 14-4, looking to be done for. But game 3 was an 18-6 crushing of the Yankees, and then two nailbiters of 4-3 and 3-2 to win it for Boston. His RBI in game 4 was the difference :).

Mahogany technically shows up in Oakland's series win with 1 inning pitched, 1 hit one out. But Vegeta's meltdown is what costs the White Sox their chances at victory.

Game one goes fine, with the White Sox winning 8-2 behind Vegeta.

But the decisive game 5 does NOT - with Vegeta giving up all six runs to lose 6-4. A shame, no repeat for our favorite Prince.

Unlike Vegeta, Dugless can be absolved of all blame in the Giants' loss. He had one of the best playoff performances of any goon so far, coming out of rehab to crush Milwaukee's pitching. But it wasn't enough, as the Giants lost game 5 5-4 :(.

Our NL goons are all gone (except bitchface's cheap MIL ring chance).

But that dies too!

Malysz does alright with a solo shot in game five's 6-2 win, but the A's can't hold it together. Mahogany has a pretty sickening 15 ERA over 3 innings in the series, mostly from game 4 where he gave up 5 runs over .1 innings as the A's lost 13-10.

It all comes down to the World Series - can Malysz put the final touches on his triumphant renaissance season?

No he can't as San Diego FINALLY wins its first World Series championship in franchise history! Malysz does alright in the World Series, but hey - he had a great season and got to play in the WS, so he's probably not complaining. I hope this leads to a contract extension or free agency haul.

We are immediately told that Plusse is pissed off that Arizona sucks so bad.

Replica is still hurt, not that it really matters right now since the season's done.

Awards time!

In MVP voting, Bantoni is a distant 10th and that's all we have to show there.

Ever the bridesmaid - Vegeta gets second place for the Cy Young AGAIN. How many times is that?

Reggie Blank swoops in to save us from going awardless, as he gets our only award with a Golden Glove.

Reggie's hardware is getting pretty crowded. That's only his second golden glove.

Free agents file, but first, grim news:

:rip: Rex Sisters :rip: He never did make the majors - he played for a decade in the minors, and got SO CLOSE in AAA. I guess he finally decided it was time to stop wasting his time. You'll be missed our weirdly proportioned dino friend.

He's not alone, :rip: Steve McGee :rip: our boney boy. He DID make the majors, albeit briefly, logging 31 games over 2 seasons. He actually did pretty well his one brief stint in 2030, but I guess the Reds didn't have enough faith in him.

Both are immediately made into coaches.

With two retirements, here's our free agent goons on the first day of free agency:

Dugless? A free agent? What a shocker! A bigger shocker is AJ Kalan being a free agent as well - I hadn't noticed his contract had expired. Maybe the Phillies were too pissed at his conduct to re-sign him. Malysz is also free now, and he had his career year at JUST the right time.

Oh, apparently Kalan did reject the Phillies' qualifying offer. That means the Phillies made him an offer based on the mean salary of the top 125 players, and Kalan chose to reject it. This gives the Phillies a compensatory draft pick, and can only be done the first time a player enters free agency (or I guess if they've never gotten a QO before, technically).

I'd like to note that Replica received a whopping $23.4 million in arbitration for her last arb-eligible season with Indianapolis. Bantoni received $16.6 million, but I think he has one or two more left (I can't remember how they manipulated his playing time). Cooper also is getting a nice 4.3 million in automatic salary, not even arb-eligible yet.

Charlie Brown is traded to the Marlins for a prospect.

Plusse pivots to a new one year deal with the rebuilding Astros, making a solid $4.1 million. Not bad, but I wish he was still making starter money.

Welp. Okay - not sure why this didn't happen sooner, but it looks like Kalan won't be going anywhere. He signs a 5 year, $96 million deal to stay in Philadelphia.

Assuming he doesn't accept a trade or retire, he'll be playing until he's 35 (or 34 if the team buys him out). That would make for a 14 year career with the Phillies.

Goons making it rain! Malysz wastes no time either, and gets a nice new years' present of a 4 year, $12 million deal with Atlanta. This is why you gotta try harder the year before you hit free agency - though the AAV is a bit low, it keeps Malysz employed. Atlanta hopes this isn't another McCracken situation.

Who doesn't love Mr. Panda? The dude has pitched a total of 14.2 innings over 11 years, and yet has made $10 million on top of his $6.25 million signing bonus. Get that bag, dude.

Actually Goku heads to the Angels, who seem to enjoy grabbing our goons for short periods of time.

Goku has had a weird path this season and did BRIEFLY appear for Chicago in 2033. His future remains uncertain.

The Hall of Fame vote is uneventful in 2033, as no players are voted in. Scherzer is still in great shape to make it, and MAYBE Verlander, but the rest will almost certainly fail. No one really notable shows up, other than maybe Madison Bumgarner if you're a Giants fan, languishing alongside Posey.

Bob Glass has narrowly surpassed Reggie Blank as the highest paid goon going into 2034. Alongside Vegeta these are the goons with the big contracts, though Kalan and Snorp aren't too far behind. It seems like Replica and Bantoni will give them all a run for their money.

Dugless, Tubbs, and Tukhachevsky are teamless. Dugless will hopefully continue his Bobby Bonds strategy and find a new team to play for, though I'm annoyed that he's not getting the big beautiful contracts like the above players.

2033 Goon Batting Stats

Bantoni took Kalan's coveted role as PA leader in 2033 - and ran away with it. 43 dingers may be down from last year's 55 but I doubt he's complaining - this was another fantastic showing. Don't miss that he led goons in walks and OBP too (Replica aside), and is morphing into our goon leader.

Snorp took a step back, but did alright. 100 RBI isn't something to be mad about.

Kalan... had an absolutely shamefully timed suspension, but otherwise played as we expect. .300 average, solid OPS and OBP, just a consistently above average player. Ask yourself - would you rather have a player who can give you a season of anywhere between 15 and 50 dingers with fluctuating skill and constant injury risk, or a dude who is consistently above average but never spectacular? Most teams would take the above average guy.

Ratio-wise Replica actually had her best season yet, with a stunning 163 OPS+! The problem was that she only managed to play in 73 games, by far her fewest yet. In fact, she's only ever been able to play 131 games tops, as each season has seen injuries steal at least a few weeks. A lost season, but she'll recover. A good question is - if she ever played a full season, would she be better than Bantoni?

I've covered Malysz plenty, but good work getting that payday and securing the bag with a career year just when you needed it. A shame you couldn't get that ring, but maybe you can help lead Atlanta over the hill to a playoff chance.

Dugless had an even worse season than Replica in terms of injuries, playing well otherwise. Very sad.

Bob Glass, don't think I missed you. 32 dingers ain't nothing to scoff at, but the decline in average was a teensy step back. Good thing your defensive play is godlike, and you actually led all batting goons in WAR.

On the bad side, McCracken somehow played even worse after the half. Dear lord is that Detroit, er, "Golden Knights" contract looking terrible.

Alface and Clips also sucked, but maybe Alface and Blank can work together to regain their lost glories. For the first time I don't have much to say about Blank! At least he isn't in Indy anymore.

Crime had 666 plate appearances. Hail Satan.

No contest this year - Bantoni Kemping wins my Goon Batting Award for 2033. Wake up Replica, Glass, and Blank!

2033 Goon Pitching

Vegeta may have missed his chance at another ring but there's not much else to be concerned with this season. He got that ERA to his career best 2.93, and every other stat just screams stud. Can't wait for another 2nd place Cy Young vote!

Charlie Brown alternated between the bullpen and starting, mostly playing the role of long reliever from the looks of it. He performed well and I think has earned himself a spot as a consistent starter in the majors!

Sir Plusse is pissed off that Arizona sucks, but he did pretty well himself throughout the season. He was utilized almost exclusively as a reliever, albeit middle to long relief. I think Charlie Brown has surpassed him in skill, to be honest.

Dugless looked to be poised to be a good pitcher again - not surprising, because it is the Giants, who have mythical powers to resurrect even the most washed up of pitchers. But he was hurt :(.

Mahogany had a bad season despite a somewhat positive looking start. He got booted from the closer role and never recovered, pitching only 29 innings across 27 games and ending the season in AAA, where he pitched 119 innings. Interestingly, his ratings as a reliever are quite good - the game rates him 69(nice)/75, so he's working to be an elite closer/setup guy.

I was a bit surprised to see O'Doyle show up here with 16 innings. Too small a sample to make much of it, but let's hope the Nats give him another shot.

I might need to just rename this award the "Prince Vegeta Pitching Award" and disqualify him from it in the future. Vegeta wins the 2033 Pitching Award, as always.

2033 Goon Fielding Stats

Fielding! Goons smarter than I can probably spot the best fielder, but McCracken once again stands out as a skilled butterfingers. Dugless, Replica, and Blank all continued to crush it in Center. I'm going to defer to the game on this one and give Blank the award since he won a Golden Glove. Reggie Blank wins my 2033 Goon Fielding Award!

2033 was weird. Detroit no longer has a baseball team, and the Tigers foursome is now down to two - Replica and a struggling McCracken. Malysz is... good? Blank is mediocre? Topsy turvy world indeed.

I hate the name the Golden Knights so I'll entertain a goon vote at some point for a new name. Also, do feel free to suggest other changes - be they team name changes, rule changes, or financial scheme suggestions.

JosefStalinator fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Feb 27, 2023

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Vegeta being the eternal number two is on point, at least.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

tukachevsky noooooooooooo

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
:patriot: Coach well you beautiful, bony bastard.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Where the hell did Indianapolis find a 45k capacity baseball stadium?? Victory Field only holds 12k. I'm sure the minor league team there just loves the GKa moving in.

Dugless, buddy, what in the world is going on with you? I don't remember anything in his personality that might lead to all these one year contacts; if anything his low opinion of himself leading to small contacts should have teams falling all over themselves!

Also what's Shohei Ohtani up to?

Is it possible to make a team become team owned? Cut out the billionaire, everyone pitches in to buy them out.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

JosefStalinator posted:

This is a pretty weird one too because Detroit has had its team since 1901 and I don't think they've been at much risk of relocation any time recently, unlike a LOT of other franchises. Maybe a Tigers fan goon can correct me though. Truly bizarre.

Especially since the Tigers are owned by a family who own loving everything in Detroit.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

JosefStalinator posted:

I hate the name the Golden Knights so I'll entertain a goon vote at some point for a new name. Also, do feel free to suggest other changes - be they team name changes, rule changes, or financial scheme suggestions.

I'll always push to change the Nationals to the DC Mayor's initial suggestion - the Grays: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xt4VmaUnZwI

Below is a good logo for the Grays, too. (you can find a higher res version on Wikipedia)

For the Indy team, I'd suggest the Blue Sox again - they were the girls' baseball team from South Bend: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Bend_Blue_Sox

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
How the gently caress did Bitchface end up in Milwaukee? I swear, I was born in Baltimore, was stationed at Ft. Lewis, and up until 10 years ago, was living just outside Milwaukee in West Allis. He's going to the Giants next, I'm sure of it.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
I think I've figured it out- Plusse is using demonic magic to transfer his big injuries to Glass; being a product of satanic magic himself, Glass is, naturally, more vulnerable to it.

As for why he picked Glass... well, it's probably the name, really. Either that, or it was Glass's idea, as an excuse to get out of baseball.

And it's quite satisfying to see Plusse get acknowledged as an All-Star, after his years of consistently-good pitching. He's more than earned it by now, I say.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
I'm gonna also rec a name from the old Negro Leagues for the Golden Knights, one that matches the history of baseball in Indianapolis.

The Indianapolis Clowns were the last of the old Negro League teams to disband, surviving as a barnstorming team until 1989. They're most well known for being where Hank Aaron got his start for all of three months before going to the Braves, but they also had three women take the field as players including Peanut Johnson who went 33-8 as a pitcher while batting .276 in her three years.

e: Also, Storg is gonna end up chasing Mike Hessman for the Home Run crown of the minors. Probably still a ways away from the ~430 that Hessman hit.

habeasdorkus fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Feb 27, 2023

The Mattybee
Sep 15, 2007

despair.
Is Clips literally the worst goon player to get consistent playing time in the majors?

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Red posted:

Especially since the Tigers are owned by a family who own loving everything in Detroit.

That's right, and technically Ilitch still owns the Red Wings too.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

JosefStalinator posted:

That's right, and technically Ilitch still owns the Red Wings too.

It's so ... hosed. The family owns a casino and sports teams, but it's fine because differently family members have their names on different things.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

habeasdorkus posted:

I'm gonna also rec a name from the old Negro Leagues for the Golden Knights, one that matches the history of baseball in Indianapolis.

The Indianapolis Clowns were the last of the old Negro League teams to disband, surviving as a barnstorming team until 1989. They're most well known for being where Hank Aaron got his start for all of three months before going to the Braves, but they also had three women take the field as players including Peanut Johnson who went 33-8 as a pitcher while batting .276 in her three years.

e: Also, Storg is gonna end up chasing Mike Hessman for the Home Run crown of the minors. Probably still a ways away from the ~430 that Hessman hit.

This is also a good suggestion. I also like the ABCs.

In fact, the more I look at it, the more I like the ABCs.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

I guess with this dismal season it's time I asked for the breakdown on my boy Saito in detail - he's stuck at 3B when he's better at 1B, and he I'm scared he might be plateauing at this point. Not that you can tell given how trash the Reds are in OOTPverse.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

JosefStalinator posted:

By the way, do you have a way to do ranked choice voting? There may be some really great options out there.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

BTW we should have another Goon HoF vote after five (in-game) years to correct the gross errors of the BWAA OOTP AI Past Goons.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Ammat The Ankh posted:

BTW we should have another Goon HoF vote after five (in-game) years to correct the gross errors of the BWAA OOTP AI Past Goons.

I'll have you know my ballot was perfect, so do not lump me in with those other terrible goons good sir / madame.

NiftyBottle
Jan 1, 2009

radical
How are the coaches doing?

HereticMIND
Nov 4, 2012

You can call it regression, but I say Bob pulling a 4.5 WAR outta nowhere—while injured for a week, mind—is certainly justifying his ~$200 million USD contract. Shame he missed the postseason, though.

Also, is it possible to start a vote to have the Golden Knights relocated back to Detroit?

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Relocate them back to Detroit but rename them the Basebolcats

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I see everyone's suggestions for Indy (and the Nationals) - I will ponder these ideas for a bit, as I'm pretty swamped this week, and figure out a fun and interesting way to collaborate on their future.

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Where the hell did Indianapolis find a 45k capacity baseball stadium?? Victory Field only holds 12k. I'm sure the minor league team there just loves the GKa moving in.

Dugless, buddy, what in the world is going on with you? I don't remember anything in his personality that might lead to all these one year contacts; if anything his low opinion of himself leading to small contacts should have teams falling all over themselves!

Also what's Shohei Ohtani up to?

Is it possible to make a team become team owned? Cut out the billionaire, everyone pitches in to buy them out.

Very good questions! I guess Ilitch used his absurd amount of wealth to secretly build a 45k capacity stadium while no one was looking, and immediately moved the team. I think Detroit (and Michigan as a whole) might riot if they really did this.

Genuinely have no idea whats going on re: Dugless' contracts. Maybe some more baseball or OOTP experienced goons can explain it, but for whatever reason he just demands 1 year contracts each year.

Not sure if you can change team ownership structure, but it would be funny to make a goon-owned team and let the goons make periodic decisions for them. Maybe next gen we can try something silly like that! I'd probably keep it to bigger things like big signing decisions or whatever rather than clog the thread with every minute decision.

Here's Ohtani's stats so far. He's actually a free agent right now coming off a 1-year 2.6 million deal with Boston, so he's likely near the end of his career. It looks like his pitching went a bit south in 2029 when he hit 34, and he barely pitched in 2032 or 33. His batting has also fallen off as he's not gotten regular use since 2031, his last "full" season. That's mostly because in 2029 he tore his rotator cuff - and then tore it again in early 2032, missing 20 months in total from just those injuries.

He's ending up with some pretty impressive career stats, and in the gooniverse his pitching really went to "good" and "mediocre" quickly while the hitting stayed extremely good. I don't know if this is his last season or he will retire, but he looks slated for the hall based on these stats.

Monathin posted:

I guess with this dismal season it's time I asked for the breakdown on my boy Saito in detail - he's stuck at 3B when he's better at 1B, and he I'm scared he might be plateauing at this point. Not that you can tell given how trash the Reds are in OOTPverse.

Always feel free to ask about your dudes!

I checked and he played RF once but 3B every single other game lately - they had him playing 1B sometimes early on but not anymore.

I also noticed that he's very angry - apparently he's mad about "Transactions". That means hes mad at the Reds for not making moves he views to be competitive, signing popular or skilled players to help them improve. That or maybe they're shopping him around.

Saito's been, as noted, consistently good but rarely great. He covers for his mediocre average with a lot of extra base hits, especially home runs. This last season was his worst offensively and probably his worst overall, but I think it's too early to tell if he's aging or was just a bit unlucky. His type of player, slowish power hitters, tend to age a bit later/better than most but that's hardly a guarantee!

I think the biggest concern for Saito is that he just had a bum year and has one year left on his contract. A bad 2034 could really hurt his market value, whereas a good 2034 might get him a decent contract away from the hell that is the Reds. He is one of the oldest goons though, so he doesn't have THAT much peak time left, if any.

NiftyBottle posted:

How are the coaches doing?

The coaches move much more slowly than our players, but they are finding jobs! I'm excited to see three goons in the majors, Lebron has a 3rd base coach, billy dee coaching first base, and Aaron Zinn as a pitching coach. Probably more interesting are the goons managing AAA teams - Cash Money and Velo are well situated for eventual promotions to MLB managers. Cash Considerations in particular has developed a "good" reputation as a manager, and actually won the manager of the year award for 2029 in AAA!

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

JosefStalinator posted:

I also noticed that he's very angry - apparently he's mad about "Transactions". That means hes mad at the Reds for not making moves he views to be competitive, signing popular or skilled players to help them improve. That or maybe they're shopping him around.

Between the fact that he's unhappy about the team record and very angry about transactions, I would wager our boy Saito is pissed he's stuck on a trash team that isn't even trying to rebuild - the Reds have been garbage basically every year he's been on them. To which I say: lol

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

JosefStalinator posted:

Who doesn't love Mr. Panda? The dude has pitched a total of 14.2 innings over 11 years, and yet has made $10 million on top of his $6.25 million signing bonus. Get that bag, dude.

It's actually kinda unfortunate he threw those MLB innings. I think it'd be more amazing to pull an 8 figure decade+ career with never having played a game in the bigs.

Why do teams keep signing him? Fear of being mauled?

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Pander posted:

It's actually kinda unfortunate he threw those MLB innings. I think it'd be more amazing to pull an 8 figure decade+ career with never having played a game in the bigs.

Why do teams keep signing him? Fear of being mauled?

MLB execs and owners used to invite him to their parties as a gimmick, because who wouldn't want a Panda at your party? They didn't realize he was sentient. And could talk.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

JosefStalinator posted:

MLB execs and owners used to invite him to their parties as a gimmick, because who wouldn't want a Panda at your party? They didn't realize he was sentient. And could talk.

This is one hell of a game

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

quote:

Very good questions! I guess Ilitch used his absurd amount of wealth to secretly build a 45k capacity stadium while no one was looking, and immediately moved the team. I think Detroit (and Michigan as a whole) might riot if they really did this.

The team would have to have been acquired by someone else at that point. You don't sneak teams out of your generations long home. I buy the entire Ilitch empire moving even less than I do the Tigers moving, and I buy both moving together least of all.

And that name is dreadful, even without considering it's somehow already in use in another league.

NiftyBottle
Jan 1, 2009

radical
LMAO my guy has a “conventional” coaching style and emphasizes contact hitting. Using himself as a cautionary tale, I didn’t think he had it in him.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

hang in there, goku!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Update and some guidance on the "Golden Knights" coming soon!

Also, I will start updating the OP soon with awards/achievements/notable things for each goon player, as well as update those who have retired (including their lifetime stats in each league/level).