Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Wild bit of ME history IMO is the whole kin strife part that Gondor goes through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

SHISHKABOB posted:

Wild bit of ME history IMO is the whole kin strife part that Gondor goes through.

Yeah. I guess what it probably is is Tolkien wanting to unambiguously shut down the kind of "pure blood" argument that people were referring to upthread, by creating a situation where Gondor is shown to have racist politicians who are deservedly thrown out by a multiethnic coalition led by a biracial true king. The racists then flee to Umbar and take over there, becoming partisans of Sauron.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HgtZF0ogyI0

It may not be Tolkien's grassy plains and fertile soil but goddamn does a drone with a camera do justice to these Rohan shooting locations.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

It's really insane that such a unique bit of geography was ready to go in NZ

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
Celebrimbor is the last descendant of Feanor that is recorded right? Surely the dude had more grandchildren right? Or did most of his sons just simply not gently caress.

I'm going through some of the things I found a little less fleshed out in the SIlmarillion and one thing that really stood out to me is the conflict between elves and dwarves over the Silmaril and the Nauglamir - it stuck out to me that those dwarves don't even have names, which is very un-JRRT. And then I learned that this portion of the Sil wasn't really written by the time JRRT died, so Christopher basically wrote it out of wholecloth. Looking back, it does stand out from much of the rest of the material.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I think what I heard (from Olsen?) was that the only thing Christopher added to that section was Thingol’s racist rant

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

Mike N Eich posted:

Celebrimbor is the last descendant of Feanor that is recorded right? Surely the dude had more grandchildren right? Or did most of his sons just simply not gently caress.

Most of his sons simply did not gently caress before the Oath drove them to untimely deaths, after which time they were unable to sire any children.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

YaketySass posted:

Gondor conspiracy theorists noticing that the son that should have inherited the Steward role supposedly died while Aragorn was with him.

I believe this actually happened as a point in the LOTR parody version.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

skasion posted:

Nah there’s 2000 years of kings in Gondor after Isildur leaves. The last king of Gondor was a guy who got a message from the Witch King of Angmar literally saying “1v1 me bro” and thought it would be a good idea

At least he had the good sense to leave the actual crown of Gondor in Rath Dinen before he went off on his dumb stunt.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

zone posted:

I believe this actually happened as a point in the LOTR parody version.

I enjoyed the Bored of the Rings interpretation of "steward" in the culinary sense, so they made the first steward a "scullery slave" who usurped the throne

Data Graham fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Feb 26, 2023

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Data Graham posted:

I enjoyed the Bored of the Rings interpretation of "steward" in the culinary sense, so they made the first steward a "scullery slave" who usurped the throne

There's also a fan parody of the LOTR appendices that's worth reading, if you like
https://groups.google.com/g/alt.fan.tolkien/c/jmMvQa2WcII?pli=1

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks

zone posted:

At least he had the good sense to leave the actual crown of Gondor in Rath Dinen before he went off on his dumb stunt.

I do want to point out that Glorfindel, of all people, told Eärnur "it ain't worth it bro" the first time around and this was the second time the Witch King issued a challenge. Should have paid attention to the guy who threw down with a Balrog telling you that you shouldn't go about throwing hands with that guy.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
On the other hand, how often are you gonna take "stay safe" advice from someone named glorfindel

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Blood Boils posted:

On the other hand, how often are you gonna take "stay safe" advice from someone named glorfindel

You only ignore it once.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
The first previews of the Lord of the Rings crossover Magic: the Gathering set came out, obviously I'm not going to post them here but I did want to start an argument over exactly one thing:
The "Gandalf the Grey" creature card (with two arts, him right before / right after falling off the Bridge) is an Avatar Wizard. Not any of the other possibly-applicable existing creature types of Angel, Demigod, Elder, Elemental, Incarnation, Human, or Spirit.

Is this correct? If not, why not? Discuss :black101:

(magic Incarnations tend to be not human and the one explicitly humanlike one is actually an Avatar Incarnation)

DACK FAYDEN fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Mar 13, 2023

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

I was already of the opinion that the MtG color pie is a poor fit for Tolkien's cosmology, so I'm not surprised they hosed this up as well.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

Anshu posted:

I was already of the opinion that the MtG color pie is a poor fit for Tolkien's cosmology, so I'm not surprised they hosed this up as well.

Not surprising, but what did they gently caress up?

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Anshu posted:

Gandalf has red in his color identity, and that's what I was most concerned about. gently caress-up won't be total, if at all.

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

YaketySass posted:

Not surprising, but what did they gently caress up?

Gandalf's typing

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

i mean it's MTG, it's just a name & picture attached to some vague set of stats and nonsense about tapping/untapping. hard to capture Gandalf in pog form

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Pham Nuwen posted:

i mean it's MTG, it's just a name & picture attached to some vague set of stats and nonsense about tapping/untapping. hard to capture Gandalf in pog form

Is this a joke image or is it actually censored.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

SHISHKABOB posted:

No, I censored it myself because if you didn't know it was Gandalf, aside from the word "Wizard", does anything about that card really feel like Gandalf in any way?

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
It's not how i personally would've depicted gandalf but it's also not particularly un-gandalf-y either, frankly

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

SHISHKABOB posted:

It's a "joke" image to illustrate that they did a flavor fail with Gandalf.

I'm not really sure why the OP "obviously" didn't link the card images if they wanted to discuss them, so here we go:

Aside from the red color identity, this Gandalf is pretty lame. The abilities don't tell me he's Gandalf, just some dude who does some stuff with spells.

The One Ring, on the other hand, I think is a flavor win. Without getting into the weeds of Magic rules and poo poo, they took a more abstract route with the Ring than they could have, which is good in my opinion. Being able to draw multiple cards a turn in Magic is quite strong, but there's a growing price to it's use. Probably should've had black in it's color identity but as has been pointed out the Magic color pie really isn't a good fit for this stuff and there's probably a looot of cards that need to be black, so the Ring needed to be colorless.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
The card going to the top of your "library" (deck? idk MTG) is kind of a funny Gandalf thing.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

SHISHKABOB posted:

The card going to the top of your "library" (deck? idk MTG) is kind of a funny Gandalf thing.

Yeah, you got it. And that's the one thing that's a flavor win for him! He does some poo poo, then peaces out. Too bad it sucks in terms of playing the game.

As far as his type goes: avatar is fine? There's no "incarnation" creature type yet in the game, that would be the most appropriate term I think, so "avatar" is a fine substitute for using already-existing creature types.

Untapping permanents could also be a "kindling the spirits of others" thing. Card still sucks.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I'm a little surprised he isn't a double faced card given how much they love those

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

cheetah7071 posted:

I'm a little surprised he isn't a double faced card given how much they love those

Based on spoiled art we're getting at least three Gandalfs: "Friend of the Shire," "the Grey," and "the White." But yeah would've been a good contender for a DFC

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
I appreciate the big rear end eyebrows. Textual

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

skasion posted:

I appreciate the big rear end eyebrows. Textual

Here's the art for "Gandalf, Friend of the Shire":

Canonical eyebrows-past-the-brim-of-the-hat.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
You'll know they read the books if they have "Saruman of many colors"

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Judgy Fucker posted:

The One Ring, on the other hand, I think is a flavor win.

Strong disagree.

Why does The One Ring give you cards (knowledge) at the cost of life (life)? That's basically the opposite of what it does. It extends life, and in exchange makes you less sane.

Why is its "invisibility" effect a one-and-done thing and not reusable?

Why isn't it an equipment or have some sort of creature-based ability? The One Ring should be able to affect Frodo, Gollum, etc., not (just) you, the player.

Judgy Fucker posted:

As far as his type goes: avatar is fine? There's no "incarnation" creature type yet in the game, that would be the most appropriate term I think, so "avatar" is a fine substitute for using already-existing creature types.

There is an "incarnation" type, but it's used for physical manifestations of non-physical concepts, like Dread and Subtlety, so it wouldn't really be appropriate. "Avatar" is fine, but if the Warhammer 40,000 set was allowed to introduce "Tyranid" and "Necron" as creature types, why shouldn't the LotR set introduce "Maia"?

Judgy Fucker posted:

Here's the art for "Gandalf, Friend of the Shire":

Canonical eyebrows-past-the-brim-of-the-hat.

This art is great. I am sure that a lot of it will be. So there is at least some good to come from this crossover bullshittery.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

DontMockMySmock posted:

Why does The One Ring give you cards (knowledge) at the cost of life (life)? That's basically the opposite of what it does. It extends life, and in exchange makes you less sane.

Why is its "invisibility" effect a one-and-done thing and not reusable?

Why isn't it an equipment or have some sort of creature-based ability? The One Ring should be able to affect Frodo, Gollum, etc., not (just) you, the player.

Card draw is in effect, power. The ring gives you power, but at a cost, and the most regular "at a cost" in magic is life.

Powerlevel.

"There is only one Lord of the Ring, only one who can bend it to his will. And he does not share power."

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

DontMockMySmock posted:

There is an "incarnation" type, but it's used for physical manifestations of non-physical concepts, like Dread and Subtlety, so it wouldn't really be appropriate. "Avatar" is fine, but if the Warhammer 40,000 set was allowed to introduce "Tyranid" and "Necron" as creature types, why shouldn't the LotR set introduce "Maia"?

"Angel" has been a creature type basically from the game's beginning.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

DontMockMySmock posted:

if the Warhammer 40,000 set was allowed to introduce "Tyranid" and "Necron" as creature types, why shouldn't the LotR set introduce "Maia"?

It occurred to me today while talking to some friends that M:tG probably has the rights to The Hobbit, LotR, and appendices, but not any other material (afaik), and "maia" does not appear in the appendices (or main text). So that's probably why.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

For long term game design and balance reasons MTG avoids adding new creature types when existing ones will serve. It helps to create connections between old and new cards, and it helps prevent certain things from becoming messes. So rights or no, "Maia" was never going to happen.

E. They probably went with "avatar" so that good and evil wizards can be the same type and any colour , and "angel" and "demon" often get published as opposing counterbalanced types with white or black colour connections

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
I think the Ring card works pretty well, though I do agree that there should be more to the invisibility other than a first turn protection thing.

The Gandalf doesn't really work though. It's cute that he can go back on top of your library, but the rest of him doesn't really reflect what he does. His biggest power is inspiring people around him, so some sort of buff to others would have made more sense. Oh well, whatever.

I'm re-reading the books for the first time in about 20 years after I devoured the Silmarillion. One thing I realized on this go around is how Jackson's Fellowship takes a ton of dialogue right from the book in the movie, but that really starts slowing down in movie 2 and 3 I think. Which is a shame, because Tolkien's dialogue is pretty drat evocative and has a real character.

I also forget how often people just straight up insult hobbits. Gandalf at one point calls them stupid and dull, the elves they run into in the woods are also like "ya'll are pretty silly and useless" - nobody is fazed with just insulting hobbits to their face.

Flakey
Apr 30, 2009

There's no need to speak. You must only concentrate and recall all your past life. When a man thinks of the past, he becomes kinder.
The alternate art for the Ring is pretty cool:

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
Sorry, but the MtG set is the best adaption of the Lord of the Rings we have had until now. Because all others were cowards:
https://scryfall.com/card/ltr/234/tom-bombadil

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Avatar is a pretty accurate description of Gandalf