Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Frosted Flake posted:

KSP is getting savaged. Why did they release as a half-cocked early access after KSP 1 was such a big hit and exists for people to compare side by side?

As far as I can tell:

It's early access and has far fewer features than the old KSP - but it costs as much as a full release.

The few novel features it has, like graphics improvements, can be added to the old version through free mods.

It's two or three years overdue from their initial release date.

And the performance is terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

I guess the upshot with KSP2 is theres a lot there to play with if they fix the horrendous crashing and performance issues. Buggy is one thing but the game dropping to single frames doing just basic tasks way out of line of what people expect for EA anymore

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

It just seems like a waste of goodwill. It’s one thing for small indie teams that need the money but my understanding is they have the money to spend a few quarters with negative cashflow while they work it out.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

is it in a different engine? not gonna touch it with a 100 yard stick but if it's built on a better engine it might make for more ambitious background simulation (spacecraft drifting when not under direct command for example)

** if it gets anywhere rather than shutdown of course, which lol, lmao

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

double nine posted:

is it in a different engine? not gonna touch it with a 100 yard stick but if it's built on a better engine it might make for more ambitious background simulation (spacecraft drifting when not under direct command for example)

** if it gets anywhere rather than shutdown of course, which lol, lmao

no, it's just a much more modern unity engine.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

Frosted Flake posted:

I started KSP when the earth was flat and there were like 7 parts, on the recommendation of Games, I think, so I get what you mean. It took a long time to get to where it is.

I suppose I’m asking more why they didn’t wait until they had at least the content of the final build of KSP 1:1, everything except the interstellar stuff I guess. You can’t even do career mode now.

The stuff you can do you can't really do. There are so many weird bugs like the game pausing when you go to 1x (sometimes), showing the game: paused and game: resumed notices 2 or 4 times instead of once, Camera mode auto-selecting Orbital when you go to launch, "warp to point" not turning off time warp if you pass into the Mun's SOI, the Parts view is unscalable and just plain doesn't work for fuel tanks. Stuff that new players would undoubtedly encounter during their first play session. Lots and lots of small things.

They have a real conflict going on with their UI art direction. There's this low-fi 70s inspired dithered aesthetic in some UI elements that clashes with how crisp everything else looks. The game looks great though. It feels good when it works. If they don't give up on it I think it will turn out.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

gradenko_2000 posted:

UoC2 is decidedly less of a puzzle game

you can try the base game first and play only as the Allies, and then pick up the two Soviet DLCs later which is a big step up in difficulty (I have not tried/played the Desert Rats campaign)

are there two soviet dlcs? there's moscow and i thought that was it

the moscow '41 dlc is goddamned brutal though

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

took a crack at the first scenario in UoC 2. lotta cool stuff going on, like a lot of the new stuff they've added. does seem like its more focused on campaign mode than scenario, which is a shame since i really liked being able to just knock out the korsun pocket or bagration in 20 minutes when i felt like killing some nazis. also i inevitably hosed up and let a motorized unit slip past and gently caress up all my supply lines so glad to see its basically the same game

e: showing which enemy spaces are actually in supply is worth the price of admission alone

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

V. Illych L. posted:

are there two soviet dlcs? there's moscow and i thought that was it

the moscow '41 dlc is goddamned brutal though

right, it's just Moscow 41 - I had a brain fart and thought the Stalingrad DLC was for the Reds

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Paging gradenko_2000

Nearly 200 pages of Designers Notes for the upcoming John Tiller Philippines 44-45 title.

“I have always thought that the Philippines campaign, at this scale, has been neglected in the wargaming industry. While many games have covered the campaign on the squad or platoon level, there has been a dearth of computer or board games covering this large campaign to liberate the Filipino people from the Japanese armed forces at the battalion level to include air and sea force.”

Seems comprehensive, but I’m curious what you think in light of your review of GMT’s People Power.

:psyduck:

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 05:13 on Mar 2, 2023

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

quote:

Further to the south, the XI Corps of the Eighth Army was joining the race. The 187th and 188th Glider Regiments of the 11th Airborne Division and one battalion of the 19th RCT of the XI Corps were landed at the beaches of Nasugbu Bay on the morning of January 31st. The plan called for that 511th Parachute Regiment to be dropped further to the east at Tagaytay Ridge on February 2nd. The two Glider Regiments would advance to the east and link up with the 511th and then advance on Manila from the south.

On February 1st, the two glider regiments advanced to the east along the Palico River and found the 17th Infantry Regiment of the Fuji Force dug in up on the heights in the path of their advance. For the next two days they attacked the Japanese positions. The defenders were dug in and had the advantage of the terrain.

The drop of the 511th had to be pushed back to February 3rd. The attack of the glider troops forced the Fiji Group forces opposing them to retreat. Many of the Japanese units simply ceased to exist. On the 3rd, the paratroopers dropped on Tagaytay Ridge and linked up with the advancing glider troops. Japanese reinforcements which tried to attack their positions were driven back with heavy losses.

I've driven along Tagaytay ridge dozens of times and have been to a few local museums and it's going to be incredibly interesting to see this play out on terrain I've physically been to.

The devs are absolutely right that this is a largely ignored section of WWII, or even in games that deal with WWII in the Pacific specifically.

The only thing I'm a little worried about is their depiction of the urban fighting in Manila, especially when they specifically didn't try to model that in, say, Stalingrad '42.

oh man, literally "I can see my house from here"

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

gradenko_2000 posted:

I've driven along Tagaytay ridge dozens of times and have been to a few local museums and it's going to be incredibly interesting to see this play out on terrain I've physically been to.

The devs are absolutely right that this is a largely ignored section of WWII, or even in games that deal with WWII in the Pacific specifically.

The only thing I'm a little worried about is their depiction of the urban fighting in Manila, especially when they specifically didn't try to model that in, say, Stalingrad '42.

oh man, literally "I can see my house from here"

If I'm not mistaken, that unit and geography is also where Rod Serling, who created the Twilight Zone, fought, which did a lot to inform the anti-war position of his later work. Just a bit of trivia, but him talking about it was the first I had heard about airborne in the Pacific and events around Manilla.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ywWdT6IL3o

It must be surreal seeing your neck of the woods like that. Are there many local museums? What are the memorials like? Any preserved battlefields? Here, we have the forts from 1812, and memorials, reenactors but obviously it must be so much more vivid there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wcInFvF5Kc

Last question: How recognizable is that geography today? Are all of those roads and streams still visible, or is it all under subdivisions and highways now?

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 11:06 on Mar 2, 2023

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
I think I have the stupidest reason for not liking Phantom Brigade. The gameplay loop is interesting, the presentation is super slick, its all very nice. But it does the barest amount of Strangereal-esque context building. Its the maximum distillation of the simplistic idea that war is solely about the shooty-bang-bangs and not the political and historical context that results in war. The mechs are very cool and all, but when the reason the mechs are here is solely because "they" are invading "us", it completely sucks me out of the whole experience.

Obviously, this doesn't apply to historical war games because I'm pretty familiar with the context of why Germany was invading Poland in 1939.

1stGear has issued a correction as of 11:23 on Mar 2, 2023

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

that major road running across Tagaytay ridge and running north into Silang is still a highway up to today and is one of two main thoroughfares into the area.

that other major road on the eastern end of the map, running from Balibago to Tanauan is the other large highway, and forms part of the major artery running the whole length of Luzon. The big modern development is the extension of a highway running from Canlubang to link up with Tagaytay road north of Mount Sungay

there are no preserved battlefields, unfortunately, save perhaps for Corregidor Island in the middle of Manila Bay, whose isolation let it keep most of its legacy. There are museums in Calamba and Silang that I've been to, though they tend to focus more on the Spanish era and WWII only gets a smaller section

this whole area that I've marked-off in red, covering most of the province of Cavite... is not a swamp anymore, and is mostly suburbs and low-density industrial parks. It's weird looking at it like that because that's almost all houses now!

and that point I've marked in yellow, "El Deposito", is the name of a water reservoir that was established in the Spanish area to provide fresh water to City of Manila to the west, carrying it from the Marikina river. It's now been converted into a museum, which I went to in July of last year, and they have a much bigger WWII section, primarily because El Deposito itself was a lynchpin of the Japanese defense plan and was the site of a lot of bitter fighting.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

New change to Victoria 3 wars is uh interesting.

War exhaustion now scales to casualties, and since most casualties come from attrition and not combat, actually mobilizing your population is a horrible idea that's more likely to lose you the war than anything else.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Got through north Africa in Unity of Command 2, the persistent campaign and alternate attack modes are a little hard to wrap my head around coming from the Soviet campaigns in UoC 1 where bloody attacks with artillery infantry solved all your problems. The end of the Sicily scenario in particular means I'll have to sort out how to deal with enemies in rough terrain. I do like how the persistent HQ stuff makes the game a little less "solvable"

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Lostconfused posted:

New change to Victoria 3 wars is uh interesting.

War exhaustion now scales to casualties, and since most casualties come from attrition and not combat, actually mobilizing your population is a horrible idea that's more likely to lose you the war than anything else.

That's fine, total war mobilization is a very insane thing to commit to in reality. They need to fix the AI so they don't just mobilize 100% in every war though.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Frosted Flake posted:

If I'm not mistaken, that unit and geography is also where Rod Serling, who created the Twilight Zone, fought, which did a lot to inform the anti-war position of his later work. Just a bit of trivia, but him talking about it was the first I had heard about airborne in the Pacific and events around Manilla.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ywWdT6IL3o

It must be surreal seeing your neck of the woods like that. Are there many local museums? What are the memorials like? Any preserved battlefields? Here, we have the forts from 1812, and memorials, reenactors but obviously it must be so much more vivid there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wcInFvF5Kc

Last question: How recognizable is that geography today? Are all of those roads and streams still visible, or is it all under subdivisions and highways now?

iirc they even had a plot that occurred in Corregidor.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

That's fine, total war mobilization is a very insane thing to commit to in reality. They need to fix the AI so they don't just mobilize 100% in every war though.

No, I absolutely need to spend 500,000 lives to make sure that Heligoland is no longer British.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

With Leonard Lemoy in yellowface, if it’s the episode I think, “A Quality of Mercy”.

It’s too bad about the yellowface because it was a brilliant and humanizing screenplay for its time, or any time.

I totally and completely get what they were going for, having the same actor in the shoes of his Japanese counterpart, but now you’d do it with two actors, quantum leap style.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
*googles episode name*

weird why the first result a purple memory alpha link.... oh they stole the name for the stupid SNW episode where they redo balance of terror with pike who learns how much he fucks up if he doesn't get melted in the accident

Raskolnikov38 has issued a correction as of 01:06 on Mar 3, 2023

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

It's better than the other WW2 Twilight Zone episode with a Star Trek actor

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

StashAugustine posted:

Got through north Africa in Unity of Command 2, the persistent campaign and alternate attack modes are a little hard to wrap my head around coming from the Soviet campaigns in UoC 1 where bloody attacks with artillery infantry solved all your problems. The end of the Sicily scenario in particular means I'll have to sort out how to deal with enemies in rough terrain. I do like how the persistent HQ stuff makes the game a little less "solvable"

theres way too much rng 'friction' in UoC2 to call it a puzzle game outside maybe the first turn of smaller scenarios, but grogs gonna grog.
but yeah in the Allies main campaign sticking ungodly amounts of arty on your vet infantry and Prepared Attack/Bombardment is ur friend

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009
I went for the "This time for Africa" achievement in HOI4 and I have 13 collab governments under me but I'm not getting the achievement :argh:

Does changing flag to Horn of Africa disable it? :confused:

e; nvm I got it, consider this a brag post. Guess some of them didnt count cause it popped at 17 collab govs.

fanfic insert has issued a correction as of 14:06 on Mar 8, 2023

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Mantis42 posted:

It's better than the other WW2 Twilight Zone episode with a Star Trek actor

I think it was a very good episode, and Nemoy is great in it, it's an incredibly thoughtful script, but...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqSuR5eyQso

I don't know what they could do differently, and I can see why if it were a book or something it would be no problem.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Oh man, Victoria 3 civil wars suck so much rear end.

The AI just completely ruins your entire country by just deleting all of your infrastructure and industry.

Dunno if Paradox playtested this ever, but uh they should fix that. Kind of like how they don't let you downsize a bunch of poo poo during a civil war as a player, because reasons.

Edit: Civil wars in general are completely incoherent because they're only designed to split the country in two but don't account for distribution of industry, resources, or anything at all, whatsoever. There's 0 effort on the part of the game to make them work, and it's pretty much all up to the player to do the work.

Lostconfused has issued a correction as of 22:03 on Mar 8, 2023

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
what? The game tells you what parts are going to revolt and based on the class characteristics of the revolutionaries you can easily get an idea.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Yeah, no, I'm going to say combat is still broken.

Or someone is really bad at designing the UI

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
Anyways, modders unlocked the ability to make custom campaign maps for current generation warscape games.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Frosted Flake posted:

I think it was a very good episode, and Nemoy is great in it, it's an incredibly thoughtful script, but...

What I mean is it's better than the episode where George Takei is a Japanese American who gets possessed by a samurai sword and kills a bigoted veteran while screaming bonzai.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Mantis42 posted:

What I mean is it's better than the episode where George Takei is a Japanese American who gets possessed by a samurai sword and kills a bigoted veteran while screaming bonzai.

I was positive you were talking about the Shatner episode with the gremlin!

I looked it up, and again, there are moments of real thoughtfulness here. I can see what they were going for, even if some of it is ridiculous now.

The Encounter posted:

Digging through his attic, an American World War II veteran named Fenton finds an old samurai sword. A young Japanese American named Arthur Takamori comes in looking for work, on a tip from a neighbor. Fenton is gruff yet cordial, and invites Takamori to share a beer with him in his cluttered attic. Fenton makes a remark about the incongruity between his first name and his obvious ethnicity. Arthur takes offense at first, but when it becomes apparent that Fenton meant no harm he admits that he changed his name from Taro. Fenton shows Takamori a samurai sword and says he took it off a Japanese soldier whom he killed during the war 20 years earlier. When Fenton leaves to fetch more beer, Takamori takes hold of the sword and says in an astonished way "I'm going to kill him. I'm going to kill him. Why?"

Fenton says he has repeatedly tried to sell, give away, or throw out the sword, but it always comes back. He has had the inscription on it translated: "The sword will avenge me". Seemingly despite himself, Fenton continues to speak in a racially offensive manner, such as addressing Takamori as "boy." Takamori grows more uneasy and more confrontational to match Fenton's increasing hostility. They have brief heated exchanges that cool but then reemerge. While recounting how he got the sword, Fenton appears to suffer a post traumatic flashback. They assume an adversarial posture, and Takamori challenges Fenton with the sword. This tension, too, subsides, though Takamori, seeming to gain some kind of supernatural insight from the sword, says Fenton killed the Japanese soldier after the soldier surrendered. Fenton challenges the accusation, but then admits to it. Intensely uneasy now, Takamori tries to leave but the door to the attic won't open for either him or Fenton, even though it doesn't have a lock.

In response to an insult from Fenton, Takamori describes his experience as a small child at Pearl Harbor. His father was a construction foreman who helped build the harbor. Takamori watched as the planes bombed the harbor, and his father with it. He first states his father tried to alert sailors to the attack, but then confesses that his father was actually a traitor who directed where the planes should drop the bombs. Seeing Takamori's guilt, Fenton tries to offer some comfort. The sword, however, appears to be dictating the course of the conversation, and soon Takamori accuses Fenton of being a murderer because he killed an unarmed man. Fenton defends himself by saying his orders were to take no prisoners, and he had been trained to think of Japanese as inhuman.

In a sudden depression, Fenton admits that he is unhappy with himself and what he has done. He has lost his job, his wife is leaving him, he is consumed with hostility and bigotry, and he coaxed Takamori into conversation because he does not want to be left alone. But Takamori, now thoroughly under the controlling influence of the sword, poises to kill Fenton. Fenton seizes him by his sword arm and overpowers him, and the samurai sword is dropped, wedging into the table supports, pointing upward. Going down to the floor to retrieve it, Fenton is then fatally impaled on the sword when Takamori pulls at his feet. Takamori takes the sword, shrieks "Banzai!" and jumps out the window, presumably to his death.

Moments later, the first floor door slowly opens on its own.

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 12:38 on Mar 9, 2023

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Lostconfused posted:

Yeah, no, I'm going to say combat is still broken.

Or someone is really bad at designing the UI

The Taiping Rebellion event in particular is just completely broken and makes no sense at all. It fires when 4 provinces get the modifier and have sufficient unrest and as soon as that happens you lose 90% of your provinces to the Heavenly Kingdom, including any armies based in those provinces? it would be fine if it were just the 4 initial provinces and maybe an event army but it's not. Qing in general is pretty poorly done and they completely break the game's economy just by having such a huge population

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Qing definitely needs more attention from testers/developers. It pushes the game mechanics to their limit, and it's kind of interesting because of that.

Improving literacy, and research speed, in China is pretty much impossible because of how it scales based on population. It also doesn't help that nobody in China apparently wants to even have an education system.

You will pretty much always be at a "bureaucracy" deficit because of again population size.

On the other hand the game has no mechanics that really encourage you to not industrialize. So China having a gigantic economy still lets you build heavy industry and outpace everyone despite all the handicaps.

As for the Taiping Rebellion, yeah, I have no idea what happened there. That's why I'm just complaining about it feeling broken lol. It was a no win situation for me because Britain joined the fight against me. Even though I managed to convince Russia and Germany to go to war on my side, they both capitulated half way through because of the new casualty exhaustion mechanics. But on the other hand it apparently did nothing to the other side.

I'm still convinced that they completely missed the point with the way war works. Industry doesn't matter at all. Due to how the tech trees work, and technology spread. Nobody really outpaces anyone when it comes to armies until late late late game. So what really matters is just having a general with +30% bonus to whatever stats, making your armies several times better or equal despite whatever tech and industrial differences there might be.

Edit: Honestly my advice is when it comes to doing anything with Qing is just "Don't". Don't do the opium wars, don't start the "heavenly kingdom" event chain. There's just no winning, there's 0 upside to engaging with any of it.

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

whenever the heavenly kingdom fired as i was playing qing i just reloaded. it's completely loving random and impossible to win the war it starts and after a certain point in time your unrest will be so high from your massive unemployed population you won't at all be able to keep it under the event threshold.

being the #1 world producer of absolutely everything and with a GDP 5 times higher than the next great power was very funny though

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

Lostconfused posted:

As for the Taiping Rebellion, yeah, I have no idea what happened there. That's why I'm just complaining about it feeling broken lol. It was a no win situation for me because Britain joined the fight against me. Even though I managed to convince Russia and Germany to go to war on my side, they both capitulated half way through because of the new casualty exhaustion mechanics. But on the other hand it apparently did nothing to the other side.

The thing with V3 warscore is that it drops like a rock, BUT, it's capped to never drop below "maybe considers peace on current lines" until you at some point control either some of every war goal (if the goals are conquest/colonial transfers) or some of their capital state. Usually it's extremely gameable in the player's favor if you have any sort of navy and ability to support a single competitive army, because the UK's happy to send a million heavily armed men to the Raj in 1850 to turbomurder 250k of your peasant conscripts, and the second a couple hundred of your regulars survive stepping off their boat into unguarded-because-there's-no-front-there loving Selsey they're on a quicker-than-it-takes-to-move-troops-back capitulation timer for anything the rules will let you demand even as they continue the slaughter.

Taiping is such a ballbreaker because their goals are, IIRC, to pop off a couple of random extra states--could be Formosa if you're lucky, could be pocketed and unreinforceable Ili and Ngari behind 5,000 li of rebels if you're not--while your goal is annexation which means boots on the ground in their capital (which could well be Tianshan.) And if any of the Euros get involved, them just landing and opening a front in Beijing is enough to doom things immediately even if you root them out.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Its real loving weird I keep getting sponsored content from PC Gamer on facebook about Comany of Heroes 3 touting about controlling the might of Axis tanks

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
warthunder is really good for making it extremely clear how absolute poo poo the big mighty axis tanks were when they weren't broken or out of fuel. piece of poo poo.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Cuttlefush posted:

warthunder is really good for making it extremely clear how absolute poo poo the big mighty axis tanks were when they weren't broken or out of fuel. piece of poo poo.

Too bad Warthunder feels.too pay to win

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

I like dunking on big cats with 122mm aphebc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

KomradeX posted:

Too bad Warthunder feels.too pay to win

it's pay to progress. the actual gameplay is heavily, heavily skill/knowledge based. especially flying. if you don't know your air combat maneuver theory and what not you will not win a dogfight with someone who does. tanks can be a little bit more random.

still sucks rear end that it's like that though. as ff says, it's unfortunate that the underlying game, engine, and models are tied to such a lovely game format.