Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

There’s been kind of a lot since Animal Crossing. Maybe look at the eligible games and ask about one or two that seem interesting to you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Splatoon 3 or Metroid Dread imo.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
Kirby and the Forgotten Land is pretty fun. Arceus is probably the best of the Switch Pokemon, but it still has some jank.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Arceus is the worst one actually, it’s a boring checklist game with awful bosses

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Kirby and the Forgotten Land, or Metroid Dread imo.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Oh yeah, Kirby rules.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia

hatty posted:

Arceus is the worst one actually, it’s a boring checklist game with awful bosses

I mean you're free to disagree and I could see how you might prefer Violet/Scarlet to Arceus. But in my own personal experience Violet/Scarlet is the only gen I haven't put at least a few dozen hours into. I quit like one gym in and have no desire to go back. It plays like poo poo, it looks like poo poo and all the characters kind of suck. Somehow it being open world just made the whole thing really sink in how shallow the whole Pokemon gameplay loop is. The fact games like Xenoblade, Witcher and Breath of the Wild exists makes the existence of whatever is going on in Violet and Scarlet inexcusable.

Arceus has a lot of problems too, but it just didn't quite fail to engage me. Maybe if I played one before the other I'd have a reverse opinion, idk.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

man nurse posted:

There’s been kind of a lot since Animal Crossing. Maybe look at the eligible games and ask about one or two that seem interesting to you?

Fair. I asked about the Pokemon games since I haven't played one in years, but it doesn't need to be those.

I keep hearing Kirby is good too but I've never really enjoyed a Kirby game before, they always seemed too simple for me, like Mario aimed at a younger audience. Which isn't necessarily bad but I hesitate to use the voucher if I'm going to breeze right through it. How does the new one compare?

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Kirby and the Forgotten Land, or Metroid Dread imo.

I forgot about Dread, I did play that one!

hatty posted:

Zurtilik posted:

Kirby and the Forgotten Land is pretty fun. Arceus is probably the best of the Switch Pokemon, but it still has some jank.

hmm ok, thanks. I don't really mind jank as long as it's fun to run around and explore and the combat isn't terrible

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

gey muckle mowser posted:

I got the game vouchers and used one to preorder BOTW2, what other game should I get? Haven't touched my Switch since Animal Crossing so anything newer is fair game. Do the latest Pokemon games still run like poo poo? Should I get Arceus instead?

Pikmin 4? Arceus is pretty cool but a little underbaked, depending on what you expect walking into it. I'd say it's better than Scarlet/Violet, or at least has a tighter-feeling design.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

That Pokemon showcase was underwhelming.

Just patch Scarlet/Violet please!

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Arceus was under baked as are all of gamefreaka games, but it was such significantly better dough that I don't know if I'll bother with the main games till they catch up. Granted I had already quit buying the main games because they have barely advanced since red and blue.

Arceus was closer to what I expected from the first 3d Pokemon games announced on N64 than anything else they've made yet. Hell even just the smoothness and speed and fluidity of getting in and out of Pokemon battles makes it hard to go back. I fired up Arceus and sword at the same time, and in the time It took me to complete one of the earliest pokemon fights, just starter tackling whatever first route critters, and was able to get in and out of several Arceus encounters in the time it took the animations to finish for Sword.

The main thing Arceus lacked to me were trainer battles, but the main games are missing those these days considering how scared they are to give enemy trainers more than 1 Pokemon, let alone it be an actual obstacle in any way.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I got the game vouchers and used one to preorder BOTW2, what other game should I get? Haven't touched my Switch since Animal Crossing so anything newer is fair game. Do the latest Pokemon games still run like poo poo? Should I get Arceus instead?

Do you enjoy Splatoon? 3 good be a good way to spend it. Though if nothing interests you, I'd just hold on to it for a year at most and only spend it if nothing you want catches your eye.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Kirby

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

hatty posted:

this, with the exception of the true final boss. arceus has some cool stuff but it's really bogged down by the core gameplay loop being aggressively checklisty in an unsatisfying way. for every research task that involves doing an actual sidequest, there are ten more that are just "use flamethrower twenty times."

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Do you enjoy Splatoon? 3 good be a good way to spend it. Though if nothing interests you, I'd just hold on to it for a year at most and only spend it if nothing you want catches your eye.

not a huge Splatoon fan, I have Splatoon 2 but don't play it all that often.

Kirby seems like the favorite. I think I'll go with that, I was just checking out some videos and it does seem pretty cool.

Thanks all!

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
on the other hand, scarvio is insanely good

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
scarvio ftw. become anti framerate pilled and play the God dang game

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Inzombiac posted:

That Pokemon showcase was underwhelming.

Just patch Scarlet/Violet please!

They literally just released one today (and it’s not like any of the glitches were particularly gamebreaking to begin with, as far as I know anyway)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Feb 27, 2023

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

The game is only $60 haha, you don't have to pay for the DLC haha what do you mean

No one's forcing you to buy the $35 dlc which would make the game currently $95 if you wanted access to the pokemon in the dlc which could have and should have been in the base game, that's crazy talk

6 months later "Please buy DLC 2, it's only $35, you wanted access to your "vintage" pokemon right? We'll add another 230 pokemon, even though we're missing 378 at this point. What do you mean you don't think pokemon is worth $130, it's not $130, it's $60. Anyways, please buy dlc 1 & 2!"

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Scarlet is the shittiest game I’ve still somewhat enjoyed playing. Still haven’t finished it tho :v:

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

GreenBuckanneer posted:

The game is only $60 haha, you don't have to pay for the DLC haha what do you mean

No one's forcing you to buy the $35 dlc which would make the game currently $95 if you wanted access to the pokemon in the dlc which could have and should have been in the base game, that's crazy talk

6 months later "Please buy DLC 2, it's only $35, you wanted access to your "vintage" pokemon right? We'll add another 230 pokemon, even though we're missing 378 at this point. What do you mean you don't think pokemon is worth $130, it's not $130, it's $60. Anyways, please buy dlc 1 & 2!"

Where are you getting $130? As you said the DLC is $35 (just checked the website to make sure), and it includes part 1 and part 2. Unless either my math is wrong or I heard something wrong in the presentation.

Also, if it's like the expansion for SwSh, you'll be able to trade for the Pokemon from the expansion with zero issue. You just won't be able to catch them yourself.

Dpulex
Feb 26, 2013
lol a bunch of updates for bad free to play/mobile games and an expansion for the second worst pokemon game. Stay poo poo lamefreak.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Silver Falcon posted:

Where are you getting $130? As you said the DLC is $35 (just checked the website to make sure), and it includes part 1 and part 2. Unless either my math is wrong or I heard something wrong in the presentation.

Also, if it's like the expansion for SwSh, you'll be able to trade for the Pokemon from the expansion with zero issue. You just won't be able to catch them yourself.

I should be able to trade the missing pokemon from Pokemon Home for free.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

External Organs posted:

Diablo 3 runs spectacularly at 60 fps it's like the gold standard for switch games. Remember it originally came out in 2011.

It can chug a *little* bit if you are at endgame multiplayer with a ton of poo poo going on. By yourself it's fine all the way through though.

D2R runs fine but at 30 fps, it's got more graphical bells and whistles going on.

It’s my favorite version of Diablo 3 but it also destroys the battery life. I remember playing it on flights and never making it through even with a battery pack

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

kirby was real fun but i checked it out of the library on a thursday and finished the final arena on a sunday. maybe spend the voucher on something that's a bit longer?

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I should be able to trade the missing pokemon from Pokemon Home for free.

Ah. Well it doesn't cost extra to send them from Home to Scarvi. At least I didn't see anything that said it would. If you're already paying for Home, you can send stuff to Scarvi without paying for anything. In fact you should be able to send expansion-only Pokemon from Home even if you don't have the expansion. Pretty sure it worked that way in SwSh. If you can trade for such 'mons with no issue, I can't imagine you wouldn't be able to send them from Home just as easily.

And speaking of Home, if you don't pay for it, you can use one box for free, which would be enough to (extremely tediously) send any dudes you want from SwSh over to Scarvi.

kidfresca
Dec 31, 2007

You're kidding, right?

John Lennon, Singer of The Beatles. He wrote the song "Imagine" and was shot and killed some time in the eighties.

Fuck has the WHOLE WORLD GONE CRAZY!

since someone asked about text size earlier, double tapping the home button initiates a system zoom tool

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Zurtilik posted:

I mean you're free to disagree and I could see how you might prefer Violet/Scarlet to Arceus. But in my own personal experience Violet/Scarlet is the only gen I haven't put at least a few dozen hours into. I quit like one gym in and have no desire to go back. It plays like poo poo, it looks like poo poo and all the characters kind of suck.

uhhh what the h*ck

you clearly never met clive or learned arven's secret, get outta here with this nonsense

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Larry is the best gym leader.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Arven is cool and is my friend

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

Len posted:

kirby was real fun but i checked it out of the library on a thursday and finished the final arena on a sunday. maybe spend the voucher on something that's a bit longer?

hmm yeah this was kind of my concern.

I somehow missed that DKC Tropical Freeze was voucher eligible, I haven't played that yet so I think that's actually going to be my choice

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Yeah I think scarlet violet is one of the worse gens but I loved the characters. They managed to make every leader unique and memorable like the ghost rapping grandma

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Zurtilik posted:

all the characters kind of suck.

take that back

Ramie
Mar 2, 2021

sometimes it feels like Gamefreak most assuredly Still Got It but they constantly have to give everything 70% of the time and effort it needs because the moneymen are telling them to pick up the pace

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

I just secured a copy of Metroid Prime Remastered to pick up on March 3 at a Best Buy after many attempts. Every time it was available, it was gone in under a minute. I used the HotStock app to tell me when it was available, and I highly suggest using it, as it may improve your chances.

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
I think all the Pokemon games on the Switch are good.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Pungry posted:

I think all the Pokemon games on the Switch are good.

I've only played Violet, but really enjoyed the game a lot. I love the mechanic where you can have a Pokemon fight for you on the overworld, speeding up combat immensely. If Pokemon going forward continues to have this mechanic then I will enjoy the series a lot. I'm pretty new to Pokemon, Violet is really the first game I played.

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Tiddy cat Buddha improving your day.
I bought the two Potal games for £8. I've beaten both ages ago of course.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

catgirlgenius posted:

sometimes it feels like Gamefreak most assuredly Still Got It but they constantly have to give everything 70% of the time and effort it needs because the moneymen are telling them to pick up the pace

It's pretty much this. The Pokemon Company has set a cycle for when everything has to be released and no brakes are alowed on the merch train.

Granted it's still partially GF's fault since they do have a say in TPC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Pokémon Scarlet/Violet is the most fun I’ve had playing a mainline Pokémon game since Gold/Silver and actually felt halfway like a meaningful advancement of the series for once. I will not be taking questions at this time.