Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Weren't Iron Fist's problems bigger than just that? Everyone seems to like Jessica Jones and Luke Cage and love Daredevil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The biggest problem is that Danny Rand is boring and the show is dull

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

STAC Goat posted:

In do think it’s kind of funny that there are people who hated Iron Fist because

I thought they hated Iron Fist because he was a schlubby white dude who refused to train or so actual fight choreo.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Would be pretty weird to hate the actor for the production company's choices, but not unexpected.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Considering Danny Rand's two traits are "is good at kung fu" and "serves as a fun contrast to Luke Cage" it's weird to me that they wouldn't want to nail the first one

But then again they took Luke and instead of making him a cool young guy and trying to recontextualize the blaxploitation tropes the character was created with for a modern take, they just made him a kinda stuffy middle aged guy, so really it's remarkable that Daredevil and Jessica Jones turned out as good as they did

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

FilthyImp posted:

I thought they hated Iron Fist because he was a schlubby white dude who refused to train or so actual fight choreo.

I thought the story was he was cast at basically the last second and didn't have time to do any of that?

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
and the second season was much better, but it also had more jessica henwick

\/\/\/still annoys me that that guy could have been danny instead

Soonmot fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Feb 27, 2023

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
First season at least had the drunken kung fu guy that owned.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

They can replace Danny, but bring back Henwick and Ward

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
I feel like I'm the only person that kinda liked the dragon stuff at the end of Shang Chi.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
It was fine, it just felt like a it of a letdown to end the movie with another big cgi mess instead of continuing the wuxia/martial arts stuff they’d already done throughout the movie.

It was like they had 15 minutes left before realizing they had to follow some MCU finale pattern even if it didn’t make sense.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
Yeah, the dragon stuff was probably the worst fight in the movie, but it was fine. I think they wanted to set Shang Chi up as an Avenger, so they wanted to show he was a heavy hitter.

Iron Fist was extremely bad, I'm pretty sure the season 1 finale had no big fights, like Danny knocks a bunch of people down by punching the ground, and then uses his iron fist to block bullets against a guy who's plan, which is stated out loud, is to shoot Danny somewhere other than his fist.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
I liked the dragon stuff for how bugged out it was. If they're going to keep doing world ending threats, making it a giant dragon fight is a fresh way to do it.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
It would have been cool if they'd combined it, like what if they had a hand to hand fight while also running along the side of the dragon as it twists across the landscape in all directions, that could have been rad... but no, it ended with evil color light vs good color light again.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Is every character Jonathan Majors play named Kang or just the guy from Quantumania? Like, is He Who Remains also "Kang?"

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

live with fruit posted:

Is every character Jonathan Majors play named Kang or just the guy from Quantumania? Like, is He Who Remains also "Kang?"

Kind of yes and kind of no, but generally speaking Kang is specifically The Conquerer and everyone else has their own name (Immortus, Rama Tut, Scarlet Centurion, etc)

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

In the comics several are the same guy at different points in his life.

Rama Tut, Iron Lad, Scarlet Centurion and Kang are all the same incarnation.

Immortus and Victor Timely are alternate Kangs.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Wonder if they'll try to fast track a F4 film before whatever the end of the Kang plot is

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Disney exec, on cocaine: what if Reed Richards is an alternate heroic Kang

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

site posted:

Disney exec, on cocaine: what if Reed Richards is an alternate heroic Kang

Jonathan Majors as Reed? Okay.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
How likely would it be for the MCU to just cut the weird alternate space-time fustercluck backstory behind the two Nathaniel Richardses and just have the Kang version of Nathaniel Richards be Reed's father?

Rental Sting
Aug 14, 2013

it is not the first time I have been racist in the name of my own mistake and sadly probably not the last

StumblyWumbly posted:

Iron Fist was extremely bad, I'm pretty sure the season 1 finale had no big fights, like Danny knocks a bunch of people down by punching the ground, and then uses his iron fist to block bullets against a guy who's plan, which is stated out loud, is to shoot Danny somewhere other than his fist.

I've been watching Daredevil Season 1 all the way through for the first time--I think I caught 3-4 episodes when it first came out--and I absolutely love it. The show is essentially the opposite of what the MCU has become: killer cinematography and lighting, well-realized characters (D'Onofrio, Cox, Dawson, Curtis-Hall, and basically everyone else do great work), cast top-notch fight choreography, and just a great sense of place and mood. So, I'm wondering: I know Iron Fist is universally considered terrible, but what do people here think about the other Netflix-era Marvel shows? Do Jessica Jones, Luke Cage, The Punisher, or The Defenders come close to matching Daredevil's quality?

Rental Sting fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Feb 27, 2023

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Jessica Jones has a good first season, and pretty bad after that.

Luke Cage has an alright first season that gets bad towards the end and a bad second season.

Iron Fist has a bad first season and an alright second.

Punisher has a good first season but I didn’t finish the second.

Defenders sucks rear end.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
I like Jessica Jones season 1 better than Daredevil, but it is very different.

Daredevil stays mostly good.

Luke cage season 1 is worth watching, although it falls apart towards the end. Season 2 want bad but I couldn't finish it.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

BrianWilly posted:

How likely would it be for the MCU to just cut the weird alternate space-time fustercluck backstory behind the two Nathaniel Richardses and just have the Kang version of Nathaniel Richards be Reed's father?
?

Kang and Reed's dad have the same name, but that's because Kang was named for Reed's dad.

That said, I wouldn't be shocked if they do this, since I've seen Kang "explainers" out there that say he's Reed's dad.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Right like, if all the fans keep going "omg Kang is so great, he's the best part of the MCU" like they're doing now, what are the chances that the writers just cut out the extra stuffing of "Kang was named for Mr. Fantastic's dad thanks to timey wimey nonsense" and instead tie Reed to him directly instead of indirectly? If nothing else it would be an unexpected hook for the FF story which, at the moment, really isn't connected to anything at all in the MCU that we know of.

Though tbh I'm not sure it wouldn't end up making things more complicated than it needs to be. As if the MCU needs more daddy issues. :sweatdrop:

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Sockser posted:

Wonder if they'll try to fast track a F4 film before whatever the end of the Kang plot is

You mean the one they announced a while ago and have on the schedule?

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

BrianWilly posted:

Right like, if all the fans keep going "omg Kang is so great, he's the best part of the MCU" like they're doing now, what are the chances that the writers just cut out the extra stuffing of "Kang was named for Mr. Fantastic's dad thanks to timey wimey nonsense" and instead tie Reed to him directly instead of indirectly? If nothing else it would be an unexpected hook for the FF story which, at the moment, really isn't connected to anything at all in the MCU that we know of.

Though tbh I'm not sure it wouldn't end up making things more complicated than it needs to be. As if the MCU needs more daddy issues. :sweatdrop:

Honestly, they would be better off recognising how good JM is and just making Reed and Kang one and the same. Every version of Reed is evil except the MCU version and they all happen to be called Kang.

Reed's story is basically only interesting because he is evil everywhere else so cut the chaff and make him Kang.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I’m mildly mad they got William Jackson Harper and he’s just Chidi with a glowing forehead. Like yeah, we’ve all seen the quantumknife, Chidi.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i think it's funny people are typecasting him as chidi when he's only on screen for like 5 whole minutes and has ten lines

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

I am still so confused how the people working on Iron Fist didn't keep the Daredevil hallway fight from Season 1 consistently in mind. Like, that's your automatic baseline. That's the level your kung-fu show is required to operate on. You've tied to yourself to that brand, comparisons are inevitable.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Sockser posted:

The F4 film is currently slated for February of '25, between Kang Dynasty and Secret Wars, which comes out in May of '25.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Rental Sting posted:

So, I'm wondering: I know Iron Fist is universally considered terrible, but what do people here think about the other Netflix-era Marvel shows? Do Jessica Jones, Luke Cage, The Punisher, or The Defenders come close to matching Daredevil's quality?

I couldn't get through S1 of Iron Fist

I loved Luke Cage S1, but the drop to S2 was pretty steep, and it ends on a loose thread that I really wanted resolved. S2 gets weird with it, in a lot of ways, but overall it kind of works.

Jessica Jones S1 was really strong, great villain, great story overall. S2 went some places and added some twists, and some real gut punch moments. S3 picks up pretty much immediately after, but the villain is off putting and the story goes pretty off the rails.

I thought Punisher was pretty great for both seasons, though S1 is better overall.

Defenders is there. :shrug: Iron Fist proves that he's the dumbest motherfucker to ever be entrusted with the iron first power. Sigourney Weaver is completely wasted in her role. The hand is simultaneously a major threat and completely full of jobbers. It's kind of fun getting to see these characters and their supporting casts interact for the first time, like a small scale Avengers.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Defenders is straight up bad

They completely waste Sigourney Weaver, the story is essentially a continuation of the pretty lame Hand stuff from the second half of Daredevil Season 2, and the majority of the story takes place in an office building and the basement

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

theironjef posted:

The F4 film is currently slated for February of '25, between Kang Dynasty and Secret Wars, which comes out in May of '25.

On paper that sounds similar to the way they put Captain Marvel between Infinity War and Endgame to intro her in one and feature her in the other.

Rental Sting
Aug 14, 2013

it is not the first time I have been racist in the name of my own mistake and sadly probably not the last
Thanks for sharing your opinions, everyone. Sounds like I should skip a lot of that stuff. Although I'll probably still watch Defenders cuz its 8 episodes and has Daredevil...

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Season 1 of a lot of the Netflix stuff is super solid. Daredevil and JJ being the best for me. I don't know why there was such a steep quality drop after the first seasons but there was. Season 2 of Daredevil was evenly great (the Punisher stuff) and terrible (the Elektra stuff). Season 2 of JJ seemed to need characters to act out of character to drive the story along which is not great story telling. Season 2 of Cage was uneven. Never saw season 1 or 2 of Iron Fist. I think I stopped caring about the Netflix shows for season three. The only one I tried was Daredevil and I stopped around episode 4.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

Rental Sting posted:

Thanks for sharing your opinions, everyone. Sounds like I should skip a lot of that stuff. Although I'll probably still watch Defenders cuz its 8 episodes and has Daredevil...

Defenders is “fine”. Just go in prewarned it doesn’t stick the landing and there are good times in there.

Do watch JJ S1 and then stop.
Do watch Punisher S1 and then stop.
Luke Cage is a scruffy mess that is half good then gets better, but Defenders and JJ S1 has him covered.
Avoid Iron Fist but do YouTube the Colleen Wing fights as she’s The Best.

Daredevil is solid loving gold for 3 seasons and I’m so glad he’s back. Best boy.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Rental Sting posted:

For whatever it’s worth I enjoyed mostly all of it in some form or another. Like Defenders has a bad story but there’s a lot of fun character interaction. So I dunno. I’d recommend you watch along chronologically as long as you’re interested. It’s too much stuff to juggle opinions of each part. My take is it’s all worth trying and only you can decide if it’s worth continuing. But I’d say the lows are IF S1, Defenders, and JJ S2. And if I remember right those aired in succession which I think is what really soured people on the whole thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Parkingtigers posted:

Do watch JJ S1 and then stop.
Do watch Punisher S1 and then stop.
Luke Cage is a scruffy mess that is half good then gets better, but Defenders and JJ S1 has him covered.
Avoid Iron Fist but do YouTube the Colleen Wing fights as she’s The Best.

Daredevil is solid loving gold for 3 seasons and I’m so glad he’s back. Best boy.

i mostly agree with this (really agree on punisher) but will add that i actually think cage s2 is worth watching as well because bushmaster is a pretty good sympathetic villain and they smartly kept him around through the entire season unlike cottonmouth in s1. the ending is pretty lol given it never got s3

same with iron fist s2. it's actually pretty decent (better than defenders or jj s2 anyways) and by the end it's set up some good stuff that sadly never came to fruition