Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I never log out of our system unless I know I'm walking away for more than 20 minutes. And only then because I can declare that break "lunch" and claw back the 20 minute statutory requirement it otherwise subtracts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

working in an office/computer touching sounds like a loving nightmare

I'll work with toxic chemicals that will kill you in a cleanroom and not deal with the minutiae of managing time doctor thx

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

MrQwerty posted:

working in an office/computer touching sounds like a loving nightmare

I'll work with toxic chemicals that will kill you in a cleanroom and not deal with the minutiae of managing time doctor thx

I'm post-covid WFH in a office worker type job and holy poo poo time doctor sounds awful. I'd be looking for a new job the day after that poo poo got installed on my work PC.

Lady Jaybird
Jan 23, 2014

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I beep in at 7AM, I beep out at 3PM. Only time management I have to do is if I am doing work for the plant I'm at or working on a project for one of the onsite engineering firms. I'll round to the hour. I'm drat glad I don't have to deal with time doctor or its ilk.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
As a manager, time doctor sounds like a nightmare. Iif you've got time to waste snooping on staff you need more duties.

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Escape From Noise posted:

Sounds like the restaurant is back to playing bossa nova in the afternoon. I'm really glad I'm no longer behind the bar.

the girl from IPA-nema

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Outrail posted:

As a manager, time doctor sounds like a nightmare. Iif you've got time to waste snooping on staff you need more duties.

*middle manager sweats profusely, installs a second instance of Time Doctor*

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Cyrano4747 posted:

I'm post-covid WFH in a office worker type job and holy poo poo time doctor sounds awful. I'd be looking for a new job the day after that poo poo got installed on my work PC.

I work for War Crimes Inc. and we don't have anything that aggressive on our PCs. We just have three keyloggers, screen checkers and at least one time tracker. I just move my mouse now and again and send IMs to my wife and friends to fool the system. No, they didn't tell us they installed any of these things when WFH began, a few of us found out after a while and when I had to roll back my previous laptop's BIOS I no longer had them. I'm not able to pull the same trick on this computer, though.

MrQwerty posted:

Went and talked to HR today, got my separation and severance packet, said later to my plant director and the couple people on 2nd shift who still have work to do there, cleared out my locker and then took some PTO and no work from tonight til 3/17.

Gonna give all the paperwork back to my HR rep at some point early next week so I can get the ball rolling on that severance check, but regardless I'm not separated/eligible for UI until the 17th. I'm fine with that, I'd like to take a bit of a vacation, and even if I'm not getting paid for the most part I'm still getting another bonus after this evening's paycheck. Plus, from the sounds of it, it's so easy to find manufacturing work here right now that UI is super strict and doing hella audits, discontinuing you for not taking the first offer you get, etc. Sounds like it's gonna be a real loving pain in the rear end this time around, and I'm gonna be clean to take a piss test right around the 17th anyway.

I also stole some Canary craft scissors (we used those for splicing reels), a tape dispenser, a pen cup and a, "Your Safety Team," placard with my picture on it on the way out.

You get the new job and planning on letting unemployment cover you till that starts?

Taking poo poo from closing companies is my favorite. I still have some cupholders, test parts and coffee mugs from an old job. Today was a Monday in 2014 according to my BEPeterson mousepad.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Lazyfire posted:

You get the new job and planning on letting unemployment cover you till that starts?

Taking poo poo from closing companies is my favorite. I still have some cupholders, test parts and coffee mugs from an old job. Today was a Monday in 2014 according to my BEPeterson mousepad.

Still kinda up in the air, especially since I'm still officially employed until March 17 and can't file UI or tell people I'm separated from my current employer until then. I got a big severance check coming in the next couple weeks, got paid today, and get one more 105% week's pay bonus coming for not going to work for 3 weeks in the meantime. Gonna start really throwing out feelers next week, maybe I won't have to deal with UI anyway since it's gonna be such a pain from what the DWS reps told us. Really don't like the idea of getting cut off because it got reported that I didn't take the first offer thrown my way.

Basically, I've got plenty of work to do in the next few weeks despite not going to work, but I had a feeling this was coming when I took that 5 day weekend after shutting down the bread and butter of the plant and prebuilding the last stuff that last day I worked. Until Monday, though, I'mma drink beer and play videogames and deal with the 5 stages of grief over losing my favorite job ever.

Those craft scissors are expensive as hell and they are real nice, as is the heavy-rear end tape dispenser (plus it's got a new roll of ESD tape in it!), and I was always gonna take one of the safety team placards lol.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

MrQwerty posted:

Those craft scissors are expensive as hell and they are real nice, as is the heavy-rear end tape dispenser (plus it's got a new roll of ESD tape in it!), and I was always gonna take one of the safety team placards lol.

Hoard those scissors. Hoard those loving scissors. I ended up buying a nice pair of titanium coated scissors and keep them in my work locker along with my x-acto knife because I was tired of people borrowing them and either returning them dirty or not returning them at all.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

I brought my Drake posted:

Hoard those scissors. Hoard those loving scissors. I ended up buying a nice pair of titanium coated scissors and keep them in my work locker along with my x-acto knife because I was tired of people borrowing them and either returning them dirty or not returning them at all.

I took 2 pair and they are gonna live at home forever, I specifically took my 2 favorite pair for splicing SMD reels. The best two for making precise cuts across two reels of paper or plastic tape housing microscopic chips and getting the tape to feed without any errors.

Straight up some of the best scissors I've ever used, you best bet I stole some on the way out.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
They look like metal shears. Which makes sense.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

goatface posted:

They look like metal shears. Which makes sense.

they're basically metal shears for fabric and paper and thin plastic, real nice precision cutting instruments that give you a really good picture from 90 degrees overhead of what you're doing.

Also the tape dispenser is real heavy, top-quality poo poo. I stole a bunch of trashed chips that I had to throw away over the past few years, too, but that was posterity more than anything; most of those things are probably bad outside of resistors and caps and lol you can't identify SMD resistors and caps unless you wanna take multimeters to microscopic components or they're on a board and you have a diagram. Guaranteed all the ball-grid CPUs are bad after spending months an an ESD jacket pocket jangling around.

MrQwerty fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Feb 24, 2023

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Lazyfire posted:

Taking poo poo from closing companies is my favorite.

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

I desperately want one of the cases silicon wafers come in, but they’re $50 on ebay and there’s no way to smuggle one out of the cleanroom and to my car.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

TaurusTorus posted:

I desperately want one of the cases silicon wafers come in, but they’re $50 on ebay and there’s no way to smuggle one out of the cleanroom and to my car.

yeah I never stole anything from the drug factory because they would have seen me do it :(

otherwise you'd better bet I'd have like 20 gamma-cooked full bunny suits ready and packing for whatever case that may be

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

I've gotten a few monitors and a couple of projectors from my office. Granted those were things they were getting rid of anyway, but I could probably take any IT equipment I felt like and no one would question it.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Cthulu Carl posted:

I've gotten a few monitors and a couple of projectors from my office. Granted those were things they were getting rid of anyway, but I could probably take any IT equipment I felt like and no one would question it.

Yeah, same. I could cart whole workstations out to the bus stop and people would probably hold the door for me.

So far I've only taken an old SAS controller and a couple of (wiped!) 3TB disks out of a retired server, and a display port cable, and I think I've accidentally donated a usb-C cable. We currently have a spare geforce 3090 on a shelf, but uh I feel slightly too moral to make use of that.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Computer viking posted:

Yeah, same. I could cart whole workstations out to the bus stop and people would probably hold the door for me.

So far I've only taken an old SAS controller and a couple of (wiped!) 3TB disks out of a retired server, and a display port cable, and I think I've accidentally donated a usb-C cable. We currently have a spare geforce 3090 on a shelf, but uh I feel slightly too moral to make use of that.

lol my HR actually asked me if I wanted to take a computer away from them when I was meeting with her and I was like, "I have no reason to take a 20 year old Dell workstation that I can't fix from you"

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Verdugo posted:

the girl from IPA-nema

Lol. God drat you.

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

I was tossing a gasline cap up and down and fumbled it and trying to catch it punched myself in the balls.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Ran into a former coworker from my current place who works at another beer bar now. He told me that the last remaining brewer at the poo poo place I used to work at quit. Now all of the brewery workers are part time. Guess they're going out of business sooner than I thought. Lol.

Sorbus
Apr 1, 2010
WFH has ruined taking stuff from office for us as the supply shelf is not being maintained anymore and everything is paperless anyways except some special export documents or certs.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
"We recently announced that we would be removing [system A] at the end of March and replacing it with [system B]... Since that announcement we have been communicating with all major stakeholders and getting agreement that [system B] is the right choice for a replacement..."

Seems a bit backward, lads.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
System B to be implemented late April of course

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Sorbus posted:

WFH has ruined taking stuff from office for us as the supply shelf is not being maintained anymore and everything is paperless anyways except some special export documents or certs.

Plenty of copper in the walls.

Also if most of the office is wfh there's no one keeping an eye on stuff like the bosses office.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Supposedly one group is already using it (and may have demanded everyone else follow suit so they don't have to learn anything new) and it just needs general deployment. It should "just work", but we're exceptionally good at breaking things.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Outrail posted:

Plenty of copper in the walls.

Also if most of the office is wfh there's no one keeping an eye on stuff like the bosses office.

I havent worked at a company where anyone lower than the CEO has an office in almost 10 years.

Ive posted this before but at every job Ive been at the requirement for having an office was one higher level than what I achieved, and we are now reaching a point where if I get promoted again nobody in the company will have an office.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

goatface posted:

but we're exceptionally good at breaking things.

Putting this on our 'Careers' page.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

goatface posted:

"We recently announced that we would be removing [system A] at the end of March and replacing it with [system B]... Since that announcement we have been communicating with all major stakeholders and getting agreement that [system B] is the right choice for a replacement..."

Seems a bit backward, lads.

Hah, at my company, this is code for “We arbitrarily made the decision and are now using everyone sucking it up and enduring it as proof that it was the right decision all along.”

Or, if they really want to mix it up, the “major stakeholders” are, in fact, people who are not affected by the decision at all but have similar titles to those who made the change.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

How bad is it going to be if McKinsey and Company are coming around to advise the parent company on what appears to be a reorg?

I am only a little worried so far, as I am in a regulated electric utility. And the company I am in is in the Midwest, where most of the rest of the partner utilities are on the East Coast. The majority of the gains will be in consolidating the East Coast companies, which has been started somewhat. It also helps a tiny bit that all the East Coast companies combined are about equal to the Midwest company in size and revenue.

One thing that saved us in the past is that any major change in the Midwest would involve present a rate case to the state utility board. And until the company is ready to present a new rate case, nothing major is going to change in terms of consolidation.

But I never discount executive stupidity or a pissing match.

Also, I love the cognitive dissonance in the email announcing this. There is a note about how O&M expenses are higher than peer utilities, and this will have to be examined. And for like 5-10 years there has been this huge push to climb the various outage ranking polls. The companies have succeeded in getting higher rankings, but executives must think that comes from happy thoughts or something.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
They'll always bring in somebody to do a big reorg, to "remove biases" and "gain an outside perspective". Probably just means a load of shuffling and some conflicting demands until organisational inertia reasserts itself.

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies
Was talking with my boss about rushing a repair. I told him, “I will have to talk to Howard and see if it’s possible.” Suddenly my boss’s boss comes up behind us and says “Of course it’s possible, we just have to work hard enough!”. For some reason my internal filter failed, and I just blurted out: “Howard can’t poop components”. He kind of paused and said “That’s true”. Here’s hoping I don’t get fired over that.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Sounds like a valid comment that asserts reality. Good luck.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Orvin posted:

How bad is it going to be if McKinsey and Company are coming around to advise the parent company on what appears to be a reorg?

I am only a little worried so far, as I am in a regulated electric utility. And the company I am in is in the Midwest, where most of the rest of the partner utilities are on the East Coast. The majority of the gains will be in consolidating the East Coast companies, which has been started somewhat. It also helps a tiny bit that all the East Coast companies combined are about equal to the Midwest company in size and revenue.

One thing that saved us in the past is that any major change in the Midwest would involve present a rate case to the state utility board. And until the company is ready to present a new rate case, nothing major is going to change in terms of consolidation.

But I never discount executive stupidity or a pissing match.

Also, I love the cognitive dissonance in the email announcing this. There is a note about how O&M expenses are higher than peer utilities, and this will have to be examined. And for like 5-10 years there has been this huge push to climb the various outage ranking polls. The companies have succeeded in getting higher rankings, but executives must think that comes from happy thoughts or something.
Preface this with a reminder that your baseline working relationship with an employer in the US is no one owes anyone anything. You should be treating each other with a mutual level of respect which means you should be in a union or continuously investigating other employers or lines of work just to make sure they aren't baseline screwing you for a variety of reasons including reorg lay offs.

Anywhere there are 2 basic sorts of reorg. The first is the firesale where the company wants to be bought or already was bought and they just want to gently caress the books into a nice looking bottom line for the buyers. This is maximum chaos at every level and probably a good chance to be laid off for no real reason. Doesn't sound like that's the case here but see previous statement about not trusting your bosses.

The "why is other guy better when we do same thing" reorg is when they get an outside perspective on their place in clout rankings or revenue shares compared to industry standard benchmarks and then ask what do you think is causing it. It's usually middle manager bloat so line employees come out safe at least temporarily until the reduced directorship is like "I can't manage all this crap I'll just fire team XYZ." You might get new and exotic job responsibilities that belonged to a random director for no real reason which may make you want another job anyway so no harm following the first paragraph's instruction and testing the water.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
I'm having real issues with staff not doing their timesheets. Every single week they're not done. I need timesheets to pay them money, which is why they're doing the work in the first place. I need them to be more responsible, more self reliant, and to use their own initiative instead of me having to hound them multiple times to do basic tasks constantly (which costs us money, which means there's less money for things like bonuses). These are project managers and co-ordinators who spend about 90% of the time in front of a computer. Keeping track of deliverables is part of the job.

'Do timesheet before go home on friday' isn't a difficult concept. I'm getting to the point where a dumb poo poo your work does policy of 'No timesheet by 9:30 Monday = lose 1-2% of your annual bonus' is going to happen. This feels like a shithead move, but I'm losing my mind here. Has anyone found a way to make people do their loving timesheets?

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Are these exempt roles? Do you need the timesheets to bill clients for hours worked?

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Outrail posted:

I'm having real issues with staff not doing their timesheets. Every single week they're not done. I need timesheets to pay them money, which is why they're doing the work in the first place. I need them to be more responsible, more self reliant, and to use their own initiative instead of me having to hound them multiple times to do basic tasks constantly (which costs us money, which means there's less money for things like bonuses). These are project managers and co-ordinators who spend about 90% of the time in front of a computer. Keeping track of deliverables is part of the job.

'Do timesheet before go home on friday' isn't a difficult concept. I'm getting to the point where a dumb poo poo your work does policy of 'No timesheet by 9:30 Monday = lose 1-2% of your annual bonus' is going to happen. This feels like a shithead move, but I'm losing my mind here. Has anyone found a way to make people do their loving timesheets?

One way I've seen is non payment for time cards that don't exist. They catch on really quick when they have to frantically make up sheets after the fact to get paid their money.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Last time I was in that situation I would always send a reminder email to the whole team on Thursday around noon, making it clear that I didn't give a gently caress if they pre-filled out Friday, and if an emergency came up and they had to change that (call out sick because of a kid Friday morning or something) we could do that.

It worked pretty well. I know it annoyed the people who did them on time, but there were a couple of flakes that REALLY needed that prod, and they were also the ones who it became a four alarm fire if their paycheck was a few days late.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pyrtanis
Jun 30, 2007

The ghosts of our glories are gray-bearded guides
Fun Shoe
We had issues with people not doing their timesheets, they were work from home transcriptionists and all they had to do was literally click approve. We stopped hounding them after one last warning that we were going to stop reminding and sure enough a couple hosed up. They had to then contact payroll and get a manual check cut, drive down and pick it up, no mailing and no direct deposit. If it's one thing WFH transcriptionists hate it's going outside, but we had a huge documentation trail so they couldn't do poo poo.

What I'm saying is, unless this is getting in the way of deliverable billing, let them not get paid because they didn't do their timesheet. Works wonders.