Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

I don't see how to activate pager duty

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

scan this qr code to notify the on call

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

(definitely not quishing)

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
I was mostly interested in any and all hardware diagnostics, but I've yet to have a single issue so I'm just gonna blame micro$oft

Umbreon
May 21, 2011

Buff Hardback posted:

To clarify, did you apply, or did cloudflare reach out cold and ask you to chat?

If it’s the latter, you’re at the “don’t gently caress it up” portion of applying for a job IMO.

I hit the easy apply button on linkedin on a lark. I'm pretty sure that still jacks up the formatting of my resume and I was surprised to see them of all companies actually responding back.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

tokin opposition posted:

I was mostly interested in any and all hardware diagnostics, but I've yet to have a single issue so I'm just gonna blame micro$oft

Go with the vendor diagnostics, plus also memtest. HP has a handy utility that will make a bootable thumb drive with their EFI diagnostic tool on it.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Internet Explorer posted:

The admin/mod consensus seems to be pretty hesitant to share anything about reports as to not create a chilling effect, so unfortunately, REQUEST DENIED.

It's not a chilling effect if the people who would be chilled are the ones asking. Post the stats, coward. What are the mods trying to hide? Is jaegerx somehow NOT the most reported poster???

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Dick Trauma posted:

The only other Mac user quit and refused to return his laptop, so... free laptop, I guess.

Whatever device enrolment is called now combined with activation lock should make them change their mind on how badly they want to keep a stolen laptop.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

The admin/mod consensus seems to be pretty hesitant to share anything about reports as to not create a chilling effect, so unfortunately, REQUEST DENIED.

Customer refused to cooperate despite request being drawn with crayons and delivered with sugar and cherries on top

Reaching out to listed manager

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

tehinternet posted:

Customer refused to cooperate despite request being drawn with crayons and delivered with sugar and cherries on top

Reaching out to listed manager

Release the SA FILES JEFFREY!

Hot Stunt
Oct 2, 2009

tehinternet posted:

Any of you guys know anything about ServiceNow (specifically how it compares to FreshService)? Saw a posting for an ITSM position that had kinda stupid pay for what the job reqs were

I've been working in the ServiceNow space for a fairly large implementation in the public sector (Australia) for the last year or so. It's... fine? Not that exciting, but day to day work is a pretty varied mix of admin, dev and support work. Honestly, I'm mostly sticking with it because I've seen the pay rates some of the consultants I work with are getting after only ~3 years of experience and I want to sell out at some point.

Hot Stunt fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Feb 27, 2023

App13
Dec 31, 2011

Ah nothing like an FDA audit to wake you up in the morning. At least I’m not one of those GRC guys who’s going to get grilled all week.

Oh wait no I am

Time to earn that cheddar I guess

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I don't know how SNOW compares to FreshService, but I can say Service Now is one of those big enterprise software suites where it's more like what do you want it to do, as opposed to what can it do.

We run everything IT related through it, Service Desk, Change Management, CMDB, Releases Management, it's setup to do automation for common requests and that's probably less than half of it. It's one of those things that can be very powerful if you put the resources into it. If you don't put the resources into it, you're going to have a bad time. We easily have probably 25 people (possibly double that) dedicated full time to service now between developers and admins. It's the center pillar of everything IT at my job. It's integrated into all sorts of other apps as well.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
my huge org is currently running an unholy mix of ServiceNow, JIRA, PPMC and HPSM - too many cooks and decentralized control means the implementation is horrible and everything is undocumented

everything talks to everything for the worst reasons as well

we are on our fifth service transformation project in 10 years (this is also how we got the previous four platforms)... they give 75% to the new platform and leave 25% on the old ones for political reasons, repeat four times

i'm just venting, there's nothing wrong with the platform

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

The Iron Rose posted:

Chatgpt is better at coding than most of the people I’ve worked with in my career, and if it can replace the jobs of half of recruiters and SEO spam content writers so much the better. A friend of mine has a job supervising an AI to do content work for clients and it scales a lot better than you think!

A working session on chatgpt is dumb, but a GitHub copilot subscription for the company is not. There’s legit features of use here.

Blockchain was cool until it lost its killer app: anonymous illegal drug purchases. Without that it’s just confidence scams and a waste of energy.

Counterpoint: it is not actually good to automate the process of writing decent-looking but broken code and churning out SEO spam so that you can produce 100x more of it

It was in fact a good thing that those things were limited by the time of your employees and how much money you were willing to spend on it

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

But can Chatgpt produce ... a smile?

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life

skipdogg posted:

I don't know how SNOW compares to FreshService, but I can say Service Now is one of those big enterprise software suites where it's more like what do you want it to do, as opposed to what can it do.

We run everything IT related through it, Service Desk, Change Management, CMDB, Releases Management, it's setup to do automation for common requests and that's probably less than half of it. It's one of those things that can be very powerful if you put the resources into it. If you don't put the resources into it, you're going to have a bad time. We easily have probably 25 people (possibly double that) dedicated full time to service now between developers and admins. It's the center pillar of everything IT at my job. It's integrated into all sorts of other apps as well.

I get why companies want a centralized platform but everything I’ve heard (and the experiences I’ve had as a user) just makes it sound like such a pain in the rear end. Both implementations I’ve seen didn’t seem like they justified the cost for the software and FTEs dedicated to it. I’m sure you can make great money supporting it but it isn’t a specialty I would seek out.

But yeah, it’s an entirely different beast than freshworks platforms.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Cyks posted:

I get why companies want a centralized platform but everything I’ve heard (and the experiences I’ve had as a user) just makes it sound like such a pain in the rear end. Both implementations I’ve seen didn’t seem like they justified the cost for the software and FTEs dedicated to it. I’m sure you can make great money supporting it but it isn’t a specialty I would seek out.

But yeah, it’s an entirely different beast than freshworks platforms.

I think almost all of it boils down to two major problems:

It’s really hard to know if a platform will work for your business until you implement it. As a business gets bigger, determining this gets exponentially harder.

Everybody needs to buy in. If any group decides not to join, the product loses its network effect and the value goes way down. This includes leadership buying in to the support needed to implement and maintain. Most of these platforms are a series of APIs that the end business needs to chain together, otherwise it’s only the most basic/example things that will work.

EoRaptor fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Feb 27, 2023

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I have to give out my personal cell to everyone I convert to intune/AAD* and I'm mad about it

God I hope I get a call back soon

*Entirely manually

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

... why?

I just cringed. At the very least, get a throw-away Google Voice number or something.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

You don't have a personal cell do you?

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Thanks Ants posted:

You don't have a personal cell do you?

This was my first reaction, but it feels almost too good to be true.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

In case anything goes wrong, basically. We're doing this over GTA, a half baked VPN, and this is the first test on a real machine.

Also we're doing two of them at the same time so no support or lessons learned.

If I weren't so checked out id argue against it but at this point I do not care. With any luck I'll be gone by the end of this month.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

And a year later those people will still be calling you for support.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I'll be happy to do so, at my consultancy rate (10 billion dollars a nanosecond)

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

And a year later those people will still be calling you for support.

Oh god, I use my cell for work too and I never even thought about this. I don't plan on leaving here soon but still. poo poo!!

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

johnny park posted:

Oh god, I use my cell for work too and I never even thought about this. I don't plan on leaving here soon but still. poo poo!!

I didn't even officially publish my cell phone at work and like 3 years after I left one company someone called me from an old job asking for help. I was like "who the gently caress gave you this number" and they rattled off someone I remembered helping after hours ages ago.

I was like "look bud, email helpdesk@company.com and it aint me, BYE"

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

For better or worse, I am in Kansas City again

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
WHICH
ONE

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

WHY IS THERE MORE THAN ONE

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
can't hear kansas city with out playing the tech n9ne song

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

CLAM DOWN posted:

WHY IS THERE MORE THAN ONE

It's a plural like attorneys general - otherwise it'd be Kanas City.

Now why it was named after cans of rear end is another question.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

The Fool posted:

For better or worse, I am in Kansas City again

Make sure to abuse the corporate card on good restaurants.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

literally the only worthwhile thing to do here

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

The Fool posted:

literally the only worthwhile thing to do here

Buy up all that delicious bbq sauce (SAWCE) and just fill your tub with it and marinade yourself to pass the time. You'll emerge delicious.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

I have 15 servers on a VLAN, all connected to the same pair of switches. 14 of them can all talk to each other. The 15th can only talk to 3 of them. External communications work to all of them. I spent 12 hours Saturday and another 6 hours today trying to puzzle this thing out with a bunch of people way smarter than me, including the guy who set up the network these things are on.

(It's not DNS, they resolve their DNS requests just fine. ...right?)

All we know right now is that someone went in and royally hosed up the cable routing and LAGG configurations. That doesn't explain why this started happening at 2AM on a Saturday, immediately following a software deployment. The software engineers are positive it isn't software. The network engineers are only slightly less positive it isn't the network.

Oh, yeah, the one that can't talk to 4/5ths of the stack is also the most important server in the cluster. For those keeping track, this is the third deployment in a row where something got colossally hosed at this site. I'm glad I get overtime.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

... is the subnet wrong? different default gateway?

Do you have any guest firewalls or microsegmentation in place?

I mean, I guess if we're talking about someone loving up cable routing (???) and LAGG configurations, it could be anything, but I could totally see someone focused on the networking/host side and not just looking at the guest.

Internet Explorer fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Feb 28, 2023

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

... is the subnet wrong? different default gateway?

Do you have any guest firewalls or microsegmentation in place?

Subnets are good. Gateways are good. And no firewalls to speak of. Went through and checked all of that today.

The most baffling bit is the difference between internal and external behavior. Zero issues reaching the servers from the outside, and zero problems reaching anything outside from the servers. But as far as the one controller server is concerned, there are only three reachable servers in that VLAN with it, even though it is technically aware of the other 13 (checked ARP tables and it is at least getting the right info from the switch).

And my own skills suck here. My knowledge of networking could fit in a shot glass, so all I'm really good for is checking configurations on these servers and pointing out when someone has overlooked a detail that we've gone over--as I've posted before, I'm primarily here because I know how to talk to people really well and keep crap organized.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

You’re in packet capture territory now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Lol you'd all enjoy this, I'm sure: https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2023/02/lastpass-hackers-infected-employees-home-computer-and-stole-corporate-vault/