Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Oasx posted:

I’m a big Agents of Shield fan, from the twist in season 1, to season 2,3 and 4 I think the show was great.
The later seasons were more of a mixed bag, especially as it became evident that their budget had been severely slashed, but season 7 was a banger with Sousa from Agent Carter.

I still think that Grant Ward is the best villain Marvel has had, and there is a whole lot of great characters from the show.

I still enjoyed 5 through 7 quite a bit, they're a step down from season 4 but by that point the strength of the characters makes up for a lot of the other shortcomings. Sousa was a great addition too.

also I give AoS a lot of credit for having a way more diverse cast than other Marvel projects (pre-Black Panther and Shang Chi anyway)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Everyone posted:

I'm pretty sure the situation with Loki being segregated in the TVA is fairly temporary. Figure a good bit of the fun with the character will be eventually watching Tom Hiddleston as Loki bounce off a bunch of other characters once he gets back into the wider MCU. Meanwhile, given the post-credit scene from Love and Thunder, I guess if they wanted to they could bring back Natalie Portman, Idris Elba and others in some kind of Valhalla series.

Yeah there's zero chance Thor and Loki don't close out their MCU journey together

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Rarity posted:

Yeah there's zero chance Thor and Loki don't close out their MCU journey together

I'd say it's a non-zero chance if for no other reason than because Chris Hemsworth appears to be stepping away from acting for the sake of his own health for the moment, so he may not want to return even for a minor TV show appearance. That said, I'd certainly think it's plausible they'll have an epilogue together, and have even suggested that it's likely myself in this very thread in the past and I think I may have even said that I'd probably find it quite enjoyable and emotive if it does happen as a final moment for the two characters; I don't think "I enjoyed this" is incompatible with "but I wish they'd done it differently", especially when I hope that Loki and the TVA remain sequestered off in their own corner of the MCU even within Disney+ shows until they're ready to wrap things up and that Loki only returns to the regular MCU to walk off into the sunset with Thor.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

gey muckle mowser posted:

also I give AoS a lot of credit for having a way more diverse cast than other Marvel projects (pre-Black Panther and Shang Chi anyway)

Yea there was a lot of it where the main cast is pretty much entirely women and people of colour.

The only character who sucked was Deke but even the show knew that.

Without see season 2 of Loki i don't want to make any predictions, but at the same time, there is no way they keep Loki out of the main films entirely. At least he'll show up in Kang Dynasty. Its too bad everyone but Banner is gone from Avengers, so other than him, Fury and Valkyrie, no major characters have encountered the earlier Loki, so seeing them deal with one who has kinda worked through his poo poo and is an ally would be interesting.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
What Deke is awesome and I only hope we get to see Director Deke in some multiverse down the road

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Deke's actor is playing Buggy in that Netflix One Piece live-action show, which, uh, okay

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Deke Squad was great
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eyKIzd93l0A

But again, that whole run of season 7 was the best sort of cheesy fun.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I love that the lyrics to this are slightly wrong all over the place, because he was probably just trying to recall it from memory... which is probably how all of my songs would end up if I were to get Yesterday'd and had the same idea.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Everyone posted:

I'm pretty sure the situation with Loki being segregated in the TVA is fairly temporary. Figure a good bit of the fun with the character will be eventually watching Tom Hiddleston as Loki bounce off a bunch of other characters once he gets back into the wider MCU. Meanwhile, given the post-credit scene from Love and Thunder, I guess if they wanted to they could bring back Natalie Portman, Idris Elba and others in some kind of Valhalla series.

Natalie Portman explicitly wanted out of the MCU. According to Wahiti, Portman only agreed to come back for L&T when he promised that the film would kill off Jane.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I mean Portman also transformed her body for the role so its not like it was some kind of indebted role filling out a contract. I think the takeaway is more than Portman didn't want to do some open ended 3 picture deal where she had to film cameos for other movies and keep working out like a fiend in perpetuity. But Love and Thunder gave her a complete story so she apparently got on board. So theoretically if someone offered another complete story down the line she'd list. I dunno. I don't know her. But I think its a difference between "don't want to be part of the MCU" and "don't want to make the MCU my fulltime job."

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I could see her coming back in some darkest hour thing in some other Thor appearance as a valkyrie and kicking rear end for a few minutes and going "I will always love you Thor" and going back to Valhalla. Hell, they might even just kill Thor and have her take him to Valhalla.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I could see her doing something like that or some kind of multiverse cameo. I definitely think the big Secret Wars/Endgame finale might be a huge cast of cameos from the multiverse like Agent Carter and Deadpool coming together to stop Kang. So Portman could return for something like that. I just don’t imagine she’d sign in for a multi film situation knowing what that means.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Feb 27, 2023

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

To me it just seemed like leaving the door open in the event she felt like coming back, but they pretty much closed the book on her character.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

twistedmentat posted:

Hell, they might even just kill Thor and have her take him to Valhalla.

Then his new daughter can join Morgan Stark and start the Orphan-vengers

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

TwoPair posted:

Then his new daughter can join Morgan Stark and start the Orphan-vengers

Yea can have her as, wait, what was Thor's daughter called in the comics? I know actual Thor's daughter is Thrud, but I remember in a few comics that take place in the future there was one that had a different name.

I'm sure at some point we're gonna get something where someone goes to some horrible future and the ragtag group of heroes is grown up versions of young ones now.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah you have to do a dystopian future episode eventually. That’s just genre law. I don’t think they’ve done time loop yet either.

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Well I hear the thunder roll, I feel the cold winds blowing...
But you won't find me there, 'cause I won't go back again...
While you're on smoky roads, I'll be out in the sun...
Where the trees still grow, where they count by one...
I think I remember negative sentiments towards the MCU from Idras Elba as well, so as far as I'm concerned mcu Valhalla is just "good end" for the characters played by actors who wanna be done... and I'm OK with that.

If steve rogers wants to come back for some kind of brief epic moment though I won't complain, but they broke their own rules to give him that ending so I kinda doubt it.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah you have to do a dystopian future episode eventually. That’s just genre law. I don’t think they’ve done time loop yet either.

MCU 2099

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

twistedmentat posted:

I'm sure at some point we're gonna get something where someone goes to some horrible future and the ragtag group of heroes is grown up versions of young ones now.

Buddy, that's just us naturally reaching the year 2035 when this will all literally happen.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

tsob posted:

I'd say it's a non-zero chance if for no other reason than because Chris Hemsworth appears to be stepping away from acting for the sake of his own health for the moment, so he may not want to return even for a minor TV show appearance. That said, I'd certainly think it's plausible they'll have an epilogue together, and have even suggested that it's likely myself in this very thread in the past and I think I may have even said that I'd probably find it quite enjoyable and emotive if it does happen as a final moment for the two characters; I don't think "I enjoyed this" is incompatible with "but I wish they'd done it differently", especially when I hope that Loki and the TVA remain sequestered off in their own corner of the MCU even within Disney+ shows until they're ready to wrap things up and that Loki only returns to the regular MCU to walk off into the sunset with Thor.

For my part I want to see nu-Loki as part of the greater MCU. I think the TVA was necessary to his development because it stripped away all of his usual powers, trappings and baggage.

We all kind of mocked the "fast-forward redemption" Loki went through in the first episode of the series, but let's take a second look at what was happening there. Toward the end Original Loki has begun to question his life choices and started trying to maybe reboot his relationships with Thor and others. Then Thanos killed him. The End.

Nu-Loki didn't have to question anything. He learned beyond a shadow of a doubt that his life had been essentially engineered toward dysfunction and failure. Most people in their lives are the heroes of their own story. In the TVA Loki learned that he was never the hero, never even the protagonist. He was always a prop/supporting character in other peoples' stories. Finally he learned that as a Variant he by definition did not have to follow that path. That he could be his own Loki, his own person, whatever that comes to mean.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Seems possible but that seems too far out to do the old “your my father” thing. But I definitely could 2099 and other stuff like that becoming a potential thing as a consequence of this whole Multiverse/Kang Dynasty arch. Deadpool 3 seems like the first logical way to look at how they might handle that kind of thing but we’re pretty heavy into multiverse so it seems like just a matter of time before they tell a story explicitly outside 616. Or whatever number the MCU is.

I mean I guess What If is already that. But like live action thing. And 2099 seems obvious.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

MCPU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Disney is reportedly considering selling their 67% stake in Hulu to Comcast, getting out of most non-ABC/Disney+ TV content, and purchasing the distribution rights to solo Hulk and Namor movies.

The new CEO says they plan to "focus more on its core franchises and aggressively curate our general entertainment content."

Does Disney even have much TV content outside of ABC and its subsidiary channels (like Disney Channel) and Disney+ anymore (other than ESPN, which is being spun off into its own thing outside of the TV division)?

I think they have pretty much not done any Netflix, Hulu, or licensing/production deals with other channels for multiple years at this point.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/disney-could-sell-its-67-stake-in-hulu-to-buy-up-more-marvel-rights-citi-123021962.html

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Yeah, ultimately I don't see what value they're getting out of Hulu currently, especially if they're more willing to use the adult content functionality they've implemented on D+.

Not sure the solo movie rights are really that valuable for Hulk and Namor at this point, but it would probably be nice to get those back in the box finally. Though if this gets a Maestro focused movie who also later takes part in Secret Wars, I'm in.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
There's probably huge money in a Hulk movie, he's been one of their most popular characters since the 60s and they could sell it as them finally doing the character right

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Disney is reportedly considering selling their 67% stake in Hulu to Comcast, getting out of most non-ABC/Disney+ TV content, and purchasing the distribution rights to solo Hulk and Namor movies.

The new CEO says they plan to "focus more on its core franchises and aggressively curate our general entertainment content."

Does Disney even have much TV content outside of ABC and its subsidiary channels (like Disney Channel) and Disney+ anymore (other than ESPN, which is being spun off into its own thing outside of the TV division)?

I think they have pretty much not done any Netflix, Hulu, or licensing/production deals with other channels for multiple years at this point.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/disney-could-sell-its-67-stake-in-hulu-to-buy-up-more-marvel-rights-citi-123021962.html

I don't think I've touched Hulu for years. I kind of forgot it was even a still a thing.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Teek posted:

Yeah, ultimately I don't see what value they're getting out of Hulu currently, especially if they're more willing to use the adult content functionality they've implemented on D+.

Not sure the solo movie rights are really that valuable for Hulk and Namor at this point, but it would probably be nice to get those back in the box finally. Though if this gets a Maestro focused movie who also later takes part in Secret Wars, I'm in.

Hulk is one of the few OG Avengers they have left. Maybe the only one, depending on the status/health of Hemsworth and Renner. I don't blame them for wanting to at least solidify their options moving forward with him.

Namor is probably more valuable, having just made his debut in WF, being one of the most popular things in the movie, and ending the movie not entirely as a bad guy. There are movie options there.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I don't know why I can't comprehend the writing but am I wrong in that it's not saying Disney would be selling Hulu to Comcast, but that if Disney wants to sell Hulu they would also have to buy out Comcast's minority share.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

The Dave posted:

I don't know why I can't comprehend the writing but am I wrong in that it's not saying Disney would be selling Hulu to Comcast, but that if Disney wants to sell Hulu they would also have to buy out Comcast's minority share.

It says that the Hulu contract gives Comcast the option of requiring Disney to buy out their shares for $27.5 billion if they are exiting the company entirely.

The Citibank analyst is speculating that they will sell their 67% control of Hulu to Comcast (giving it 100% ownership of Hulu) for some cash and the distribution rights to Hulk and Namor movies (estimated at about $300 million).

They could sell it to someone else (and in that case Comcast could require Disney to buy them out if they wanted) but the Citi analyst is speculating they will sell to Comcast.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
It’ll make Dis+ poorer in other countries. For example the EU/UK doesn’t have Hulu, so D+ has a section called Star which features Hulu content, making it one of the better streaming services right now.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Yeah D+ is pretty decent in the UK at the moment (even if some Hulu and FX shows are still tied up in deals on other platforms). As much as I want Disney not to own literally everything it'd be a shame to see them lose a lot of that stuff.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

I assume that also means D+ won't be bundled with Hulu anymore. Won't be worth subscribing to D+ for maybe 3 shows a year.

StrugglingHoneybun
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.
Hope they get theme park rights east of the Mississippi in the deal too

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

StrugglingHoneybun posted:

Hope they get theme park rights east of the Mississippi in the deal too

So...Disney World?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

thrawn527 posted:

So...Disney World?

Universal still has rights to use certain Marvel characters east of the Mississippi at their Islands of Adventure theme park. That's why there's a Spider-Man ride and a Hulk coaster.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Arist posted:

Universal still has rights to use certain Marvel characters east of the Mississippi at their Islands of Adventure theme park. That's why there's a Spider-Man ride and a Hulk coaster.

Oh right. I was just replying to the “East of the Mississippi” comment with regards to theme parks, especially when Disney is a part of the conversation. But I get what OP was talking about now.

Hulk is my favorite coaster.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Mar 4, 2023

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

thrawn527 posted:

Oh right. I was just replying to the “East of the Mississippi” comment with regards to theme parks, especially when Disney is a part of the conversation. But I get what OP was talking about now.

Hulk is my favorite coaster.

Yeah, Universal's Islands of Adventure has a whole Marvel section with all the big and famous characters plastered everywhere. The Hulk roller coaster is fantastic, and at the time the Spider-Man ride was state of the art augmented reality. There is also an X-men (Storm) ride that is like a kiddy tilt a whirl type ride. The free fall ride is Dr. Doom based (which has a really fun instructional video instructing you, a loyal citizen of Latveria on how to best serve Doom by going on this ride so he can extract fear pheromones). Actually, that area has the best waiting of most theme parks, with longish videos and decorations. The Spider Man line takes you through the Daily Bugle offices where JJJ is yelling constantly in the background.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

It seems like that contract is mostly for Avengers characters, because last year Disney opened a Guardians ride at Epcot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

FlamingLiberal posted:

It seems like that contract is mostly for Avengers characters, because last year Disney opened a Guardians ride at Epcot

I believe the deal is character IP specific, but I've forgotten the details. I know the solo movie rights was "literally just The Incredible Hulk", though.