Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yeah it's all a bit "clap for the NHS"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Remember when he pronounced the name of the pedophile the British way instead of the American way?

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Guavanaut posted:

Remember when he pronounced the name of the pedophile the British way instead of the American way?

Worse, the German way :hitler:

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

i thought it was quite instructive how the media only had a day or two of “oooh boris doesn’t like this deal and tory rebels might vote it down”, with a collective just f off, just get a brexit deal done and leave us alone

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Guavanaut posted:

yes, it’s andrew not andy

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

keep punching joe posted:

Worse, the German way :hitler:
Andrew Saxe-Verbrecher

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

I'm the gammon rage about the head of the EU popping in to see the UK chief-of-state

I keep reading VDL as VPL. All this jeanis talk is getting to me.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
The Kyiv thing is pretty funny. I can promise you it's the last thing on anyone affected by the war's mind.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

kyiv starmer

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Frustrating that through all the things Corbyn could be criticised on regarding Jewish concerns, this was the epitome of jumping the shark to be offended at poo poo he was doing.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

No because the shark was jewish :jewish:

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
Corbyn also forced these Palestinian kids to paint anti-Israel propaganda on plates, will his crimes never end??

https://twitter.com/guardian/status/1630239813424095234?s=20

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Harassed by a child's plate.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

sinky posted:

Corbyn also forced these Palestinian kids to paint anti-Israel propaganda on plates, will his crimes never end??

https://twitter.com/guardian/status/1630239813424095234?s=20

Imagine any other ethnic minority being granted this level of accommodation for being whiny little baby freaks.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Children's plates to be replaced by a Dilbert collage celebrating old white men.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Guavanaut posted:

Children's plates to be replaced by a Dilbert collage celebrating old white men.

Dilbert Lemonparty has no place in a hospital

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
So, the "Stormont Brake:"

This seems to imitate the old Petition of Concern (which was itself notoriously abused by the DUP) in every manner that matters. Setting the number of MLAs being required to sign a petition as low as 30 seems just as open to abuse as the PoC itself was. 30 member signatures can be gained from a single party, never mind a single community (as, in fact, was the case in the past with the PoC). There's a lot of good-faith language in there ("The Brake will not be available for trivial reasons," "there must be something significant" etc etc) which seems to be drafted completely in ignorance of the DUP's history abusing exactly this sort of mechanism.

This doesn’t seem about ensuring cross-community consensus so much as it seems about placating Unionists and getting them back to the table with the carrot that if they do better in the next election they can go right back to abusing their position as they have done in the past, rather than having to put up with a filthy taig First Minister.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Gonzo McFee posted:

Folks, Where's the lie?!

idk if this is an in joke or w/e but you can watch it back on channel 5 if you demand evidence to back up my shitposts

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Tesseraction posted:

Imagine any other ethnic minority being granted this level of accommodation for being whiny little baby freaks.

it’s not an ethnic minority, it’s a gang of israeli lawyers with an explicit mission to attack perceived enemies abroad

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Israeli lawyers are technically an ethnic minority :colbert:

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
oh i suppose i should probably point out that by "a mrs norman", i meant a woman who very much reminds me of the character mrs norman, not that the woman's name was actually mrs norman

but if you want to gotcha me on that you can go ahead, i don't like to dampen other people's jollies however they get them :)

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
anyway lol that rishi thinks he can shame the DUP into accepting his deal by naming it after the royals and getting charlie boy involved

fool they know no shame :nono:

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

crispix posted:

oh i suppose i should probably point out that by "a mrs norman", i meant a woman who very much reminds me of the character mrs norman, not that the woman's name was actually mrs norman

but if you want to gotcha me on that you can go ahead, i don't like to dampen other people's jollies however they get them :)

the post you're replying to is agreeing with her claims by asking where in her opinion was a lie being told

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
okay thanks for explaining i sometimes need extra help

i don't know how the young people talk these days

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Nilbop posted:

This seems to imitate the old Petition of Concern (which was itself notoriously abused by the DUP) in every manner that matters. Setting the number of MLAs being required to sign a petition as low as 30 seems just as open to abuse as the PoC itself was. 30 member signatures can be gained from a single party, never mind a single community (as, in fact, was the case in the past with the PoC). There's a lot of good-faith language in there ("The Brake will not be available for trivial reasons," "there must be something significant" etc etc) which seems to be drafted completely in ignorance of the DUP's history abusing exactly this sort of mechanism.

This doesn’t seem about ensuring cross-community consensus so much as it seems about placating Unionists and getting them back to the table with the carrot that if they do better in the next election they can go right back to abusing their position as they have done in the past, rather than having to put up with a filthy taig First Minister.

30 member signatures are required from BOTH the unionist & nationalist parties for it to go through... unless it's something both agree on the EU law is applied.

DUP gets to say NO! but they can't do squat without Sinn Féin. :dance:

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
That sounds alright actually, in NI-adjusted terms. So I must be misunderstanding

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Dead Goon posted:

I thought it was Keev, and we were wrong to pronounce it Keyev for all these years?

Keev Starmer

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Dead Goon posted:

I thought it was Keev, and we were wrong to pronounce it Keyev for all these years?

Just think Derry/Londonderry to truly appreciate the connotations and vibe enclosed therein.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Kviv/Londonkviv

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

Just Another Lurker posted:

30 member signatures are required from BOTH the unionist & nationalist parties for it to go through... unless it's something both agree on the EU law is applied.

DUP gets to say NO! but they can't do squat without Sinn Féin. :dance:

It's 30 members from at least 2 parties, it doesn't say anything about requiring representatives from both sides of the community.

I'd agree that's probably their intention, but it's not the letter of the law. And with these cunts that's what matters.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Kreev sounds kind of cool tbh

I did think it was weird that corbyn pronounced epstein a diff way to everyone else at the time but didn't realise it was clearly antisemitic against Germans

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

OwlFancier posted:

Everybody very conspicuously started trying to pronounce it the ukrainian way after the war started, with varying degrees of success.
This is good though, isn't it? Like how everybody understands it's impolite to say _the_ Ukraine now, I thought we were all trying to move towards pronouncing foreign countries / regions according to the preferences of people that live there?

E: I'm not sure how Türkiye is pronounced now, is it like Turkey-ey? (thanks to my laptop for autocorrecting the spelling for me :c00l: )

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I think it's close to Tour-key-yay but with the y-y part more like one y, like in kayak

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Nilbop posted:

It's 30 members from at least 2 parties, it doesn't say anything about requiring representatives from both sides of the community.

I'd agree that's probably their intention, but it's not the letter of the law. And with these cunts that's what matters.

That makes it a clusterfuck again if accurate. :downsgun:

From .gov.uk: ''They will do so on the same basis as the ‘petition of concern’ mechanism in the Belfast (Good Friday) Agreement, needing the support of 30 members from at least two parties.''

Still bollocks then. :rolleyes:

Wonder how the EU phrased this on their end.

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

TACD posted:

This is good though, isn't it? Like how everybody understands it's impolite to say _the_ Ukraine now, I thought we were all trying to move towards pronouncing foreign countries / regions according to the preferences of people that live there?

E: I'm not sure how Türkiye is pronounced now, is it like Turkey-ey? (thanks to my laptop for autocorrecting the spelling for me :c00l: )

The Ukraine came about because Ukraïna translated as "borderland" so the definite article was applied similar to Nederlanden translating as "lowlands" so in English it's the Netherlands. But yeah, preferences of the people who live there should be respected.

On that note and closer to home, can the British media stop using "the Republic", "the Republic of Ireland" or "the ROI" when referring to their closest neighbour? The country is called Ireland. That's its name. You'll never see it referred to as anything else on any official Irish documentation (except Éire).

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Every time someone tries there's a faint rumbling from under the earth.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Nilbop posted:

Modeled on Petition of Concern is what it says--though with the new rules, not the old ones:

quote:

Petition of concern including:
 The mechanism, which was designed to ensure that all sections of the community are
protected and can participate and work together, will return to its intended purpose
 Parties to publicly commit to using it in most exceptional circumstances and as a last resort
 Petition can still be triggered by the support of 30 MLAs, but it needs members from two or
more parties (this can include independent MLAs)
 A valid Petition shall trigger a 14-day period of consideration. After this, if 30 MLAs confirm
support, the Assembly will determine the matter in accordance with the cross-community
consent procedure.

...and, presumably, after that it goes to the UK gov, and if they're convinced, talks with the EU. It's pretty much a basic good faith check before it can be done, also I'd imagine you can't do it if you're not in Stormont, working. Would this be enough of a turd-to-throw-at-fans to make the DUP happy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Clyde Radcliffe posted:

The Ukraine came about because Ukraïna translated as "borderland" so the definite article was applied similar to Nederlanden translating as "lowlands" so in English it's the Netherlands. But yeah, preferences of the people who live there should be respected.

On that note and closer to home, can the British media stop using "the Republic", "the Republic of Ireland" or "the ROI" when referring to their closest neighbour? The country is called Ireland. That's its name. You'll never see it referred to as anything else on any official Irish documentation (except Éire).

It always irked me how everyone calls the Netherlands, Holland. Even in Spain if you say the correct term: Los Paises Bajo (literally the low country) people would look at you blankly for a second then go "Oh... Holanda?"