Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
It's almost a car again!

Only one question: if I cinch the lower control arm mounting bolts as tight as I can the arm binds up on the bushings. It doesn't look like the parts ever had grease, so is it a matter of using less torque on the bolts than it seems like I should, or something else?

e: i see a video talking about preload. I'm guessing I need to load the arms up before snugging them down

Panty Saluter fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Feb 25, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
Always do final tightening on suspension components with the weight of the car on them. On the ground is preferable, but at least lower the wheels onto some ramps if you can't reach stuff while it's on the ground.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
I think jacking the suspension up to the point where it's balanced against the weight of the chassis is the best I can manage. There is no way I could reach the upper arm with a wheel and tire on

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Panty Saluter posted:

I think jacking the suspension up to the point where it's balanced against the weight of the chassis is the best I can manage. There is no way I could reach the upper arm with a wheel and tire on

That method is fine too, just try to jack it to approximately where it'd normally sit.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
I figure that's roughly where the spring stops compressing and the chassis starts to raise. Gonna have to be, I guess :v:

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
this is one reason why i work on one side at a time! measure the LCA height on the side that's still on the ground, jack the other side up the same amount, and you're there

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
Yeah I'm not gonna try to do a big rebuild like this again. I simply do not have the space to effectively manage all these parts at once. One corner/piece at a time for me.

That being said, that's a great idea and I can definitely sit one side on the ground at a time and make it work. The only sketchy bit will be the tie rod ends, which I got as close in length as I could manage. Guess we'll see how cockeyed it is....

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Britpart DA5150 - Petrol Tank Fitment Straps (pair)

(this is going to have to be good enough until it gets warm enough for me to paint the chassis and replace all the suspension bushings - I have a proper replacement fuel tank strap but I'd have to drop the sway bar and get into a bunch of other stuff I don't want to be doing until the whole job gets done later which includes replace the whole floor back there so everything will be super easy to get to).

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
Tried to do this at work, but we were swamped with the impending snowpocalyose. So I spent my morning on my off day doing brakes on my wife's Crosstrek. We bought the car 50k miles ago, and I have no idea when the brakes were done prior. I did new rear brakes then, but as I recall the fronts were ok. Definitely worn out now!

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Motronic posted:

Britpart DA5150 - Petrol Tank Fitment Straps (pair)

(this is going to have to be good enough until it gets warm enough for me to paint the chassis and replace all the suspension bushings - I have a proper replacement fuel tank strap but I'd have to drop the sway bar and get into a bunch of other stuff I don't want to be doing until the whole job gets done later which includes replace the whole floor back there so everything will be super easy to get to).

The parts falling off of this vehicle are of the highest British quality. :allears:

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
BEWARE, I LIVE

https://i.imgur.com/0qJBqG2.mp4

The battery was at all of 3V when I tried to start it. Fortunately my little boost pack got things going quickly.

Brakes: still feel like poo poo. basically nothing happens until it's near the bottom of the pedal, then it grabs. The rear brakes are still untouched but I have all the parts so that's next. If that doesn't help I guess it's master cylinder time.

Everything else feels fantastic. The alignment is absolutely out but it drives mostly straight and on center so I'm not mad about it. No more clattering around turns, and no clunking or squeaking from the new suspension so I guess I got it mostly right. :v:

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
New battery. Rolling. Inspected. Registered.

Also I think yes, the brake booster be hosed

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Panty Saluter posted:

Also I think yes, the brake booster be hosed

So is the master.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
how do you figure? it's all on the vacuum hose to the booster

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Panty Saluter posted:

how do you figure? it's all on the vacuum hose to the booster

Looks like to booster is also soaked and I'm assuming its brake fluid. Where else is that going to come from other than from filling up the booster through the rear seal of the master.

If it's not brake fluid I have no idea why you would say it's a bad booster.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Its everywhere, is it not spray from whatever is leaking oil further forward?

heffray
Sep 18, 2010

Replaced Kmac strut mounts with Superpro urethane. Car no longer slightly clunks any time the front end hits a bump, and I've learned an important lesson about using spherical bearing strut mounts on a street car. This also lowered the front end by about 10mm, putting it closer to where I wanted (about 16mm total front, 12mm rear).

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

BlackMK4 posted:

Its everywhere, is it not spray from whatever is leaking oil further forward?

Is it? All I see is the hose and cowl. If you mean the proportioning valve it's a little shiny since I had to torque the new fitting down a little more when testing. The area around the check valve and cowl are the new development

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

I see that the sociopaths at BMW are still using lug BOLTS.

Panty Saluter posted:

Is it? All I see is the hose and cowl. If you mean the proportioning valve it's a little shiny since I had to torque the new fitting down a little more when testing. The area around the check valve and cowl are the new development

There should never be brake fluid in the booster, so where is that fluid coming from?

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
Up your rear end, which is where you can cram the attitude. I asked a simple question, there's no need to be a dick

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Panty Saluter posted:

It seemed like it to me based on that picture, but you've got a better view.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Panty Saluter posted:

Up your rear end, which is where you can cram the attitude. I asked a simple question, there's no need to be a dick

You seem to be in over your head and lashing out at people who know a lot more than you.

Why don't you take it down a notch and ask/answer questions from people who are actually trying to help you.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Motronic posted:

You seem to be in over your head and lashing out at people who know a lot more than you.

Why don't you take it down a notch and ask/answer questions from people who are actually trying to help you.

You can talk to people in a way that's not lovely and condescending. Oh but then you can't feel like a big man I guess.

Also, I wasn't talking to you? and I wasn't talking to Darchangel when I asked for some clarification? How do you take something so personally when people aren't even talking to you?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

So fragile. Sorry you got bruised while someone is trying to help you.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

BlackMK4 posted:

It seemed like it to me based on that picture, but you've got a better view.

Yeah the lower wet area is from a different leak that's been fixed. Honestly after reflection it doesn't matter because replacing a booster without the master cylinder (or vice versa) probably doesn't make much sense anyway. Time to start signing my checks over to Rockauto I guess :v:

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Panty Saluter posted:

Honestly after reflection it doesn't matter because replacing a booster without the master cylinder (or vice versa) probably doesn't make much sense anyway.

That's not at all correct. If you want to just be obstinate and throw money and parts at this then stop reading here.

If you want to actually diagnose this you need to say why you think the booster is bad and figure out what fluid is on everything.

It's trivial to see if the master is leaking back into the booster. Just unbolt it. It will be dry or it won't be.

It's trivial to see if the booster is bad. It's holding vacuum or it's not. If it's not you start by making sure that check valve in the line is still working.

Additional observations about how the brakes work or don't work should be taken into account.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Panty Saluter posted:

????? I dont think they were being a dick? Please step back a bit.

OTOH.....

Motronic posted:

So fragile. Sorry you got bruised while someone is trying to help you.

FFS Mo, dont throw a stick of TNT into a minor spat.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

FFS Mo, dont throw a stick of TNT into a minor spat.

You reap what you sow.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Lets be nice to each other. Its alot less energy.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

Darchangel posted:

I see that the sociopaths at BMW are still using lug BOLTS.

Forever and always

I am trying to decide if I am really going to be taking the wheels on and off frequently enough to make a stud conversion worthwhile. I had it all set to go, but I recently found out I'm going to have twins (in addition to my current child) this year and I really don't expect to be able to do many track days if at all.

Also yes, I just got a brand new 2dr tiny car fully knowing that I was about to suddenly have 3 kids. I am that idiot.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Panty Saluter posted:

What in the goddamned gently caress?
So, hey, figure it out yourself then.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Darchangel posted:

What in the goddamned gently caress?
So, hey, figure it out yourself then.

You phrased it in a way that implied I was an idiot for not knowing already. I don't tolerate people talking down to me.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Panty Saluter posted:

You phrased it in a way that implied I was an idiot for not knowing already. I don't tolerate people talking down to me.

Nope, he didn't. This is a you problem.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Popped a thick-rear end rubber mat from Tractor Supply in the bed of the Acty to protect it from dents and such. I was considering spraying the bed with bedliner, but this is reversible and if I decide to spray later, I can always use this on the garage floor. It’s 4x6 and it fit the bed almost perfectly.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe

Motronic posted:

Nope, he didn't. This is a you problem.

Look man, he doesn't tolerate people pointing things out to him. You can't let these uppity people with ideas and solutions get to you.

Got the quarter panel put on the driver's side of the 56. It's all tacked and glued into place. So tomorrow I can start cutting the rockers out of the passenger side.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
When I’m asking for help it would make it way easier if someone would treat me like a child and say it very slowly, it would be appreciated. How do I drill out this window motor? Pretend it was a 7 year old asking and you dont want me to break anything.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Imperador do Brasil posted:

Popped a thick-rear end rubber mat from Tractor Supply in the bed of the Acty to protect it from dents and such. I was considering spraying the bed with bedliner, but this is reversible and if I decide to spray later, I can always use this on the garage floor. It’s 4x6 and it fit the bed almost perfectly.

:hmmyes:

If it means anything, this way you are doing it, with the cut-to-fit rubber mat, is the way lots of people in Japan do it. Maybe 50% of the trucks we'd import, kei or standard size, would have a slab of rubber in the back.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Those rubber pads are good.
It'll pay for itself the first time you need to unload something from the deck when it's wet.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

KakerMix posted:

:hmmyes:

If it means anything, this way you are doing it, with the cut-to-fit rubber mat, is the way lots of people in Japan do it. Maybe 50% of the trucks we'd import, kei or standard size, would have a slab of rubber in the back.

I think that’s where I got the idea. I remember seeing a kei truck of some sort with a big rubber pad back there.

This one is supposed to be for a horse stall or similar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

weirdly chilly pussy
Oct 6, 2007

Autobanned over some spilled brake fluid, lol