Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Well they're in diapers you gotta assume

edit: wow what a snipe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Cool Dad posted:

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Cool Dad posted:

sometimes we just wear the diapers as a fashion accessory. i mean they. they wear them.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
Unless their kink is using a company owned computer to get embarrassed it isn’t kinkshaming it’s just like… multiple non kinkshaming related problems

Weedle
May 31, 2006

i am a moron posted:

Unless their kink is using a company owned computer to get embarrassed it isn’t kinkshaming it’s just like… multiple non kinkshaming related problems

i think people just wanna be clear that the problem here isn't that the guy is into furry scat fetish art, it's that other people had to see his furry scat fetish art

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
Exactly, different strokes for different folks but consent is consent, my dude.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Just quietly have someone enforce the same boring corporate desktop image via group policy with machine name, IP, logged in user, etc and claim it's to "make things easier for Helpdesk".

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

A Frosty Witch posted:

I loving hope not but I don't even know how to begin bringing this up.

"So about those making GBS threads dogs loving on your desktop" seems a little brusque.

Honestly I'm just going to mention it to his supervisor and let him handle it.

I don't get paid near enough to kinkshame.

But it's still a good coach-able moment!

"Hey buddy, got a second? We all saw what was on your desktop, and I'm not a snitch but who knows what could happen? So my advice is if anyone asks you in your next job interview why you no longer work here, just say "It was a bad cultural fit" and refuse to elaborate. Also maybe keep whatever you use to rustle your jimmies on a personal machine you don't use for work next time?"

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
If it makes you all feel any better, during one morning's stand up, another engineer was discussing their previous day about having to go to the sherrifs office to get re-fingerprinted. They quickly clarified that they did so to refile a permit for a gun they have that new legislation required him to register, and just picked up the gun in question and showed it on the call.

We're all remote, but that was a bit of an eye opener, for sure.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

DelphiAegis posted:

If it makes you all feel any better, during one morning's stand up, another engineer was discussing their previous day about having to go to the sherrifs office to get re-fingerprinted. They quickly clarified that they did so to refile a permit for a gun they have that new legislation required him to register, and just picked up the gun in question and showed it on the call.

We're all remote, but that was a bit of an eye opener, for sure.

one of our guys has a weekend gig as an armed security guard at a megachurch

https://twitter.com/FreeRepublicTXT/status/414145226656059393

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Serious Hardware/Software Crap > [SPAM] FW: RE: say "It was a bad cultural fit" and refuse to elaborate

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Serious Hardware/Software Crap > [SPAM] FW: RE: So about those making GBS threads dogs loving on your desktop

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Fidon't show off your fetish to stakeholders.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Renegret posted:

We're offering 5 gig home internet now and the overwhelming opinion of this is, it's complete overkill, but we're all afraid to say that we'll never need it because we've all been burnt before.

My house is wired with cat6a, the switch it comes off of does 10gbps over copper and a few pcs support that as well. I still can't imagine any use for this other than posting ye olde epeen speedtest results.

Still probably going to get it since it's in my neighborhood now...

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

I really do not want furries referenced in the title of a thread I made but go wild y'all

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

kensei posted:

I really do not want furries referenced in the title of a thread I made but go wild y'all

I think we should continue to wait patiently for lowtax to address the concerns in A Frosty Witches email.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Paladine_PSoT posted:

My house is wired with cat6a, the switch it comes off of does 10gbps over copper and a few pcs support that as well. I still can't imagine any use for this other than posting ye olde epeen speedtest results.

Still probably going to get it since it's in my neighborhood now...

Streaming and media upload is the main purpose of faster than gigabit links in most of the cases since you get decent uploads that way.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

kensei posted:

We can be circumspect about how many opposable thumbs those dogs making GBS threads and loving have, though I'm unsure if that would make the resulting mental image better or worse?

Best be polite about it, like seeing dick pics on your buddy's phone when he's scrolling through his gallery showing you stuff. Maybe it's his dick, maybe it's dick he's getting. Either way, pretend it didn't happen and/or give him endless poo poo over it. Depends on the nature of your friendship, I guess?

SlowBloke posted:

Streaming and media upload is the main purpose of faster than gigabit links in most of the cases since you get decent uploads that way.

95% of my 10GB usage is copy/pasting poo poo to and from my hobo-SAN/NAS box. There's something magical about moving a game from local disk to the NAS at 400 MB/sec.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

chin up everything sucks posted:

I think we should continue to wait patiently for lowtax to address the concerns in A Frosty Witches email.

yeah, I'm sorry, this is just too good and too new of a title to get swapped out

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

95% of my 10GB usage is copy/pasting poo poo to and from my hobo-SAN/NAS box. There's something magical about moving a game from local disk to the NAS at 400 MB/sec.

My 10g is for iSCSI traffic. I’ve had 10g in the house for years, starting with infiniband and then switching to fiber, and yet I still get exited to see aggregate traffic at 3gigs/sec. It makes it all feel worth it somehow.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Internet Explorer posted:

yeah, I'm sorry, this is just too good and too new of a title to get swapped out

:glomp:

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

SlowBloke posted:

Sorry, let me clarify...

I still can't imagine anything *that I do* that would need it

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

chin up everything sucks posted:

Did Frosty Witch remember to enable read receipt for this email?

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

Buff Hardback posted:

Did Frosty Witch remember to enable read receipt for this email?

Should have marked it high priority.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

ponzicar posted:

Should have marked it high priority.

Low priority gets a faster response in my experience.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Zil posted:

It's worth a shot

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
You should immediately recall that email with a note to please be professional and respect the recall and not read or share the email.

It's the only way to ensure it will absolutely get read.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Zil posted:

Someone sent me an email the other day with a fault they'd found. They had no subject line, was marked as high priority, and didn't actually describe the fault, just highlighted two numbers from a dashboard. And we have a ticketing system for faults.

We then had a back and forth via email with them actually getting more specific and explaining the problem and me saying "yeah we'll get on that, soon as you've got the ticket number let me know and I'll get it done" over and over again. Just raise the loving ticket.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I wonder what IT would think about me having Epic Sax Guy (10 hours) running in the background all day every day just to prevent my computer from going to sleep...

Transitioning from

ConfusedUs posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Serious Hardware/Software Crap > [SPAM] FW: RE: say "It was a bad cultural fit" and refuse to elaborate
to

A Frosty Witch posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Serious Hardware/Software Crap > [SPAM] FW: RE: So about those making GBS threads dogs loving on your desktop
just caused me to spray hot Earl Grey all over my laptop and monitors, A+ would read again

edit: unrelated, but

bell jar posted:

It's worth a shot
:drat:

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

A second round of interviews at my dream job just came in.

Here's hoping :unsmith:

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Good luck!

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

That's great news! You got this. :hai:

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Hell yeah AFW!

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Good luck!

Weedle
May 31, 2006

A Frosty Witch posted:

get it girl

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

A Frosty Witch posted:

I'm crossing my fingers :yotj:

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

A Frosty Witch posted:

Good luck!

I'm doing my part by telling LinkedIn recruiters that their compensation range is about half where it needs to be for me to continue the conversation, and eagerly refreshing to see if they've stopped laughing/crying/sighing long enough to respond.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

A Frosty Witch posted:

Let's gooooooooooooo

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

A Frosty Witch posted:

Sweet! Good luck!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

I GOT FLAT FEET JUST LIKE MY HERO MEGAMAN
Total Clam
A side job came in.

A computer wouldn't recognize a network printer at a church, and I was contacted to help. Over the last year my confidence has grown immeasurably thanks to a kickass (though demanding) new job (went from Xerox tech to MSP to Senior Network Engineer in 2 years), and I thought to raise my personal rates from $20 to $100/hour. They accepted.

Got there to find out that the printer was not actually on the network, everyone printed via Bluetooth. The computer in question did not have Bluetooth capability. I was able to get the printer on the wireless network, but the computer was hardwired and whoever set up the network created different subnets for wired and wireless. I gave them three options; get a $15 wireless dongle for the computer, hardwire the printer, or give me access to the router to fix it.

They opted to give me access to the router, but someone had changed the password. I found an ethernet cable and brought it to the printer only to find another cable under the printer, one end plugged into the wall behind it. I plugged it in, it got a wired IP, installed the driver on the comp, done.

56 minutes. They asked if it was $100 charge, I confirmed. Easiest $100 I've ever made, and I'm hella proud that I was able to stick to it.