Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

I have trouble reconciling that a grown man without diagnosed severe mental disabilities, can’t figure out his own location in 2023. It almost feels like Mr bean fanfic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

Flowers for QAnon posted:

I have trouble reconciling that a grown man without diagnosed severe mental disabilities, can’t figure out his own location in 2023. It almost feels like Mr bean fanfic

What is learned helplessness?

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk
Oh the undiagnosed mental illness part is very simple to explain.

You see, he doesn't believe in there being such a thing as mental illness.
Brain damage? Sure that's real and a physical thing.
ADHD? nah, just lazy.
Depression? nah, just lazy.
Schizophrenic? nah, just acting up.
Pointing out that he has this tick where he sniffles every time he gets agitated? gently caress you, he has a cold (which apparently he has been having for...45 years now)
Epilepsy? ehhhh....might be faking it for attention.
Unable to support yourself due to factors like these? Should just lie down and die in the gutters and not be a burden on society.

He has gotten better with time and his wife wearing away at his stubborn brand of stupid, but yeah. Can't fix what doesn't want to admit its broke.

Edit: I'm willing to cut him a lot of slack on the lack of ability to find his position, since he basically hasn't had a moment's rest to find solid ground to stand on for the entire first 16 days of his arrival to China. Trying to think rationally when you are jetlagged, keeping track of two kids and getting shat on by your wife at all times while also having to work from "home" is going to mess with anyone's head. Getting helpful advice from his youngest and traditionally most helpless little brother is just not something he can process at that stage.

SerthVarnee fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Feb 27, 2023

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012
he should have hooked up with a beijinger, but he would have had to actively go to china, since anyone that leaves beijing don't wanna go back

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Sounds like a real piece of work!

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk
On the plus side, it seems like things are going better and better for them for every day that passes at the moment, so it looks like the crisis has been avoided or at least postponed for now.
Marriage might still end up in the dumpster once its time to go back on the plane, but it seems like the rest of the vacation plan is going to hold and be somewhere between tolerable and enjoyable.
So I'm quite pleased with the outcome of this event.
Don't think I've had such a lovely weekend in....20 years...though.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

SerthVarnee posted:

Oh the undiagnosed mental illness part is very simple to explain

Starting to come around on the idea of the whole hypothetical kidnapping thing.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
The more you post, the more I start to sympathize with the wife.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah I think maybe he should just stay there.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Tomn posted:

big commonality on that one with the other previous western dudes too, lol

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

As a complete aside: How is this bloke dealing with the food situation?

Coz given everything that we have been told about him, I cannot imagine him being anything near an adventurous sort. So may be frightened of all the scary spices and noodles and be missing the Danish version of chicken tendies.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

BrigadierSensible posted:

the Danish version of chicken tendies.

From my own experiences with my sister's in-laws, that would be bread. Shitloads of bread in multiple varieties.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

Bad news about bread in China

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Cadmiel posted:

If things go south with your brother and his wife, it sounds like it'll be very difficult for him to have any legal recourse to get the children out. China does not recognize dual citizenship, and if the kids entered on Chinese passports the ability of Danish consular officials to help will be limited. If they got married in the PRC and he has any of that documentation that could help make a case that she can't take the kids and cut him out, but it would be at the discretion of local officials and if he doesn't speak Mandarin or know anyone else, he'd be hosed. I'd say he needs to try to salvage the relationship as much as possible, at least until they can leave China again, and to get in touch with Danish consular officers as soon as he can so they know there's a possible parental abduction case.

The reason I felt I was bouncing off of Chinese textbooks was because of them using characters pretty early on. The characters they give you are usually high frequency, but fairly complex. It can be quite overwhelming to have to start memorizing characters that you need without learning how characters even work really.

The solution I found was the Heisig series of books "Remembering X". They have them for Kanji, Traditional Hanzi, and Simplified Hanzi. I used "Remembering Traditional Hanzi" since those are the most relevant for Taiwan. It took me about a summer to get through the book, and then I did flashcards after that. Being in Taiwan helped a bunch because every time I learned a new character, I could see it on the street somewhere, be it a sign or a poster or a newspaper headline.

What really helped me was learning the characters in English so that I had the meanings down before I had to worry about Chinese grammar or pronunciation. Then, when I saw dialog or vocabulary in the Chinese textbook, working out the meanings wasn't that bad and it was just a question of memorizing how characters were pronounced.

The other issue I had with Chinese textbooks is that I think they do a poo poo job of explaining pinyin construction. Like, they do a good enough job saying "these are initial sounds" and "these are final sounds" but they don't do a great job of explaining that certain groups of consonants only use certain vowels and certain combinations that look legal are never seen in Chinese. Once I had figured out the pattern on my own, getting the pronunciation down was straightforward enough.

As an example to the above, consider that the "i" in zhi, chi, and shi is pronounced entirely differently than how it is pronounced in ji, qi, and xi. Also consider that "ju" is actually "jü", but it's never specified because it can only be the one sound, whereas for "lu" you actually have to specify "lu" vs "lü" (and the digital input for the latter is usually "lv").

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?

Tomn posted:

This is always the case

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

Atopian posted:

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Atopian posted:

don't tell me that sliced bread is toast. it isn't toast until you toast it

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012
last time i was in gz i'd hit up this chain bakery on my way to ikea. they had nice approximations of baguettes, perfect for making subs with or just having with dill pickled herring. had the texure of those electrically cooked japanese breads

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
the curse of the steamed bread

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Atlas Hugged posted:

The reason I felt I was bouncing off of Chinese textbooks was because of them using characters pretty early on. The characters they give you are usually high frequency, but fairly complex. It can be quite overwhelming to have to start memorizing characters that you need without learning how characters even work really.

The solution I found was the Heisig series of books "Remembering X". They have them for Kanji, Traditional Hanzi, and Simplified Hanzi. I used "Remembering Traditional Hanzi" since those are the most relevant for Taiwan. It took me about a summer to get through the book, and then I did flashcards after that. Being in Taiwan helped a bunch because every time I learned a new character, I could see it on the street somewhere, be it a sign or a poster or a newspaper headline.

What really helped me was learning the characters in English so that I had the meanings down before I had to worry about Chinese grammar or pronunciation. Then, when I saw dialog or vocabulary in the Chinese textbook, working out the meanings wasn't that bad and it was just a question of memorizing how characters were pronounced.

The other issue I had with Chinese textbooks is that I think they do a poo poo job of explaining pinyin construction. Like, they do a good enough job saying "these are initial sounds" and "these are final sounds" but they don't do a great job of explaining that certain groups of consonants only use certain vowels and certain combinations that look legal are never seen in Chinese. Once I had figured out the pattern on my own, getting the pronunciation down was straightforward enough.

As an example to the above, consider that the "i" in zhi, chi, and shi is pronounced entirely differently than how it is pronounced in ji, qi, and xi. Also consider that "ju" is actually "jü", but it's never specified because it can only be the one sound, whereas for "lu" you actually have to specify "lu" vs "lü" (and the digital input for the latter is usually "lv").

This is interesting, I studied the characters and went with trying to understand the thing they were abstracting, I even came across a book other than heiseg that explained the abstractiong and radicals.

However my experience going down that road, was ultimately not successful for me, and the few times I ve talked about it with other I advise them not to do it.

When I was in china I amused the tour guide by being able fake read some simple signs.

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

Booty Pageant posted:

last time i was in gz i'd hit up this chain bakery on my way to ikea. they had nice approximations of baguettes, perfect for making subs with or just having with dill pickled herring. had the texure of those electrically cooked japanese breads

In the 80's in HK one of the big deals about a visit to Macau was the actually good bread.

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
Now I'm picturing an alternate universe China where instead of electric rice cookers every family has a breadmaker and goes on trips to Germany for the best ones it turns out Zojirushi also makes the best breadmakers

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
Bought tickets for China for end of March until beginning of May, hoping I can land a job at the spy balon factory.

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯
My friend is sending me a Datung rice cooker, that classic green one, and I am so stoked

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Cool Kids Club Soda posted:

My friend is sending me a Datung rice cooker, that classic green one, and I am so stoked

I got a Datung shirt from Uniqlo with the little Datung man logo, looks great

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

MarcusSA posted:

Yeah I think maybe he should just stay there.

Maybe he shouldn't, for the wife's sake

Just, drat I can see why she's so mean to him. Sorry about your brother being all like that SerthVarnee.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Ups_rail posted:

This is interesting, I studied the characters and went with trying to understand the thing they were abstracting, I even came across a book other than heiseg that explained the abstractiong and radicals.

However my experience going down that road, was ultimately not successful for me, and the few times I ve talked about it with other I advise them not to do it.

When I was in china I amused the tour guide by being able fake read some simple signs.

Your mileage may vary I guess. I liked Heisig because while it broke characters down by radicals and lumped some characters together into broad categories, it doesn't let the etymology get int the way of just learning a mnemonic for the characters. Heisig often labels radicals with terms that are not directly related to the real etymology of the radical, but are convenient for memorizing them and making associations.

Some linguists and language learners are annoyed by this because it means someone can build a Chinese character using the correct radicals, but can't actually explain why those radicals are used. Mechanically, it's not any different. If you follow the method, you'll have a much better spatial awareness of how radicals are combined and what the various possible positions and permutations are, but you won't know the genuine etymology of many characters.

To me, that isn't important because you'll still know what the character means and you'll have no issue recognizing and writing them.

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012

kntfkr posted:

Bought tickets for China for end of March until beginning of May, hoping I can land a job at the spy balon factory.

i can see it clearly now, the chinese startup "balon" corners the market for high altitude balloons for everyone to use, like what dji did with drones

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

Air is stored in the balls

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

Booty Pageant posted:

i can see it clearly now, the chinese startup "balon" corners the market for high altitude balloons for everyone to use, like what dji did with drones

Balon-yi

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Fur20 posted:

the curse of the steamed bread

You call it steamed despite the fact it is obviously baked

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Steamed bread is p good.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Whilst we are talking about Chinese bread.

Forgive the stupid question, but does anybody here know what the egg and chive fried bread thing that I used to have all the time for breakfast in Fuzhou and Chengdu is called?

Coz I loved it, and haven't found it anywhere outside of China.

Again, sorry for the stupid question.

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
Has he considered selling the in-laws house and fleeing to Denmark?

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

BrigadierSensible posted:

Whilst we are talking about Chinese bread.

Forgive the stupid question, but does anybody here know what the egg and chive fried bread thing that I used to have all the time for breakfast in Fuzhou and Chengdu is called?

Coz I loved it, and haven't found it anywhere outside of China.

Again, sorry for the stupid question.

Pan-fried like a Dan Bing or deep fried like a You Tiao?

Horatius Bonar
Sep 8, 2011

Or chive pockets?

Baddog
May 12, 2001

GoutPatrol posted:

Pan-fried like a Dan Bing or deep fried like a You Tiao?

Man, Chinese breakfast kicks rear end. I never eat breakfast in the US, but I'm getting up early to go walk down the street and grab some of these, and a sack of pork buns.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

People learn differently but I also found the Heisig method super easy. I was learning ~40 characters a day when I was really going at it.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

Atlas Hugged posted:

i had a terrible time discriminating —n from —ng finials until i realized —n always comes with a short vowel and —ng always comes with a long one. No teacher ever pointed this out to me and a few have outright denied it exists but it’s absolutely the more reliable way to tell those sounds apart

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skrill.exe
Oct 3, 2007

"Bitcoin is a new financial concept entirely without precedent."
Rene Chang would know what to do.