Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Your favorite isekai thought crime
slavery
war crimes
boobs
protags that correctly remember and know how to recreate complex technologies
View Results

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Kwyndig posted:

I've been reading one where the entire island chain of Japan gets isekai'd to a fantasy world and their modern military just wrecks everyone's poo poo.
Gotta link? Sounds like the ring of fire book series

Jackard fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Feb 26, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Jackard posted:

Gotta link? Sounds like the ring of fire book series
Think this is it
https://mangadex.org/title/29837/nihonkoku-shoukan

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

EDF vs Dragon Quest fantasy world doesn't sound too terrible either. The potential for weird genres clashing against each other is the main reason I'm excited about ONE's (the One Punch Man guy) Versus manga. Because I am quite curious to see creative people tackling different types of energy colliding with each other. Like, Earthbound Psi energy vs a psychic Pokemon using Confusion. What's the difference and should one even be stronger than the other? I dunno, but I bet you can make some compelling fiction out of it if you were interested.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I remember reading this, it's terrible

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

https://mangadex.org/title/0b87a1c9-3f02-42de-b022-ff4938d1d595/listen-to-my-lady-s-story-villainess-conquest-record

A very rare case of the Villainess already being a terrible person and the butler arriving too late to change much.

Posting here because it has some tags that might lead to the usual problems later.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015

Captain Invictus posted:

I remember reading this, it's terrible

Yeah, I couldn't get past this spoiler: A dragon or wyvern manages to make one desperate flame attack on an Apache attack helicopter... and zip. Doesn't even set off the rocket pod or any of the pylon mounted missiles, much less the fuel.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
you have to really bend over backward to write a story where the jsdf is an effective military.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry

Arc Hammer posted:

Like GATE only not stupid as gently caress.

. Gate was hilarious until the jingoism got tiresome

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
I just wish the artist for GATE wasn't still adapting GATE because the best part of the manga is the visuals.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
no idea why its an isekai, but maybe it will come into play more. The prologue didn't seem to have anything to do with it.
edit: oh, its standard japanese food cheats and stuff, i feel like it could have just went with the usual regular demi-human stuff
but started reading the manga, Happy Harem Making with the Mighiest Orc.
about as silly as you expect from the title

GateOfD fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Feb 26, 2023

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Ehh, the first three chapters were interesting but then it dives into an edgy war.

They spent over a dozen chapters on this pointless curbstomp, probably could have shortened it to one or two. I think you could skip straight to chapter 17..?

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005
Hey do you want that motherboard?
It's better than Gate if only because it doesn't have a super horny 12 year old running around owning the libs.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
started reading The Ideal Sponger Life

mellow self-insert isekai fantasy life

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
The most common reactions to Sponger Life are, as follows:

1. "Expected this to be way hornier than it is, judging by the first chapter"
2. "Huh, the political intrigue actually kind of makes sense in this one"
3. "this dude loving LOVES his wife"

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

SexyBlindfold posted:

The most common reactions to Sponger Life are, as follows:

1. "Expected this to be way hornier than it is, judging by the first chapter"
2. "Huh, the political intrigue actually kind of makes sense in this one"
3. "this dude loving LOVES his wife"

then inevitably

4. "well yeah this dude getting a harem makes total sen... wait what the hell."

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
'she has pretty sizeable boobs, but not too crazy big.'

the dream of going in and quitting your job, reason is because your moving to another world

GateOfD fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Feb 28, 2023

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
oh no new attempted concubines! How's zenjirou going to wriggle out of this bind?

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

RareAcumen posted:

This is fun. I need a Webtoon list, there's lots of good stuff there that I'm just not able to find. I like The Fabled Warrior- a Reverse/postgame Isekai with an added wrinkle of 'Whoops, time in the other world and on Earth function like how a year for Mercury and Jupiter are totally different!' And Rewriting the Villainess Which is another one of those reverse Isekai that I'm always a fan of.

Both of these have great takes on using isekai as a plot device to tell pretty non-isekai stories, thematically at least. Fabled Warrior gets a bit too miserable like manhwa can be (which is not bad, just need to be in the mood) and I put it down after 20 some chapters. Rewriting the Villainess is incredible though and the last few chapters have really ratcheted up the tension and really given some great flaws to the MC who was doing pretty well otherwise. Thanks!

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
fabled warrior is very mean spirited. it's a woman with extreme ptsd from being an isekai hero being constantly triggered and also trying to keep her idiot daughter from facing the same fate. she's also constantly failing because no one who understands what is going on is on her side.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

So the core premise of this story is that in order to research this bizarre hole in the ground filled with tentacle monsters we're going to send a bunch of women into it? Kind of a bizarre spin on Made in Abyss for sure but I think I'm good.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
On the other hand, the protagonist looks at least five years older than the Abyss cast, and as Assassination Classroom taught us, tentacles don't always mean... that..

I mostly want to know what the deal is with that head in a jar though.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Elfface posted:

On the other hand, the protagonist looks at least five years older than the Abyss cast, and as Assassination Classroom taught us, tentacles don't always mean... that..
I might have had faith if I was reading this on a site that didn't offer cover art and search tags.

quote:

That's the main character, he brutally murdered and resurrected as a tentacle monster for unknown reasons.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Kwyndig posted:

I've been reading one where the entire island chain of Japan gets isekai'd to a fantasy world and their modern military just wrecks everyone's poo poo. Like the Demon Lord is resurrected and they perform a decapitation strike with a missile that literally decapitates him and blows the rest of his body away, despite him using several magical barriers.

The only problem with the series is the author likes to go to the sexual violence well occasionally to make their bad guys seem even worse. But the parts where the coast guard ships just blow the gently caress out of invading sail ships is hilarious. That said, it's still Japan, not jingoist Japan like GATE so they exercise restraint and try not to fire first, it's just that all the militaries of the new world are really belligerent and quite willing to first strike (usually ineffectually).

This comic is absolutely just as jingoistic as GATE. It just takes the angle of "comically evil and smug fantasy foreigners force Japan to crush them with their mighty modern military."

It also bugs me that Japan is basically able to function normally in this story, despite being cut off from the rest of the world economy as a country with a significant trade deficit that is one of the top importers of food. I'm also pretty sure that they would have a very hard time maintaining stuff like their jets, given the way more complex military hardware like that is developed/manufactured in modern times.

It has some neat ideas (like there being other ex-earth countries that have earlier modern technology), but it's definitely more similar to GATE than it is different with regards to the jingoism. The main difference is that the foreign nations in this are more akin to "Earth nations from 100-200 years ago" as opposed to the more "pure" fantasy of the GATE fantasy world. So instead of actual Earth nations being antagonists (like in GATE) you instead get "fantasy nation that strongly resembles European Earth nation from the 19th to early 20th centuries."

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Elfface posted:

The head in the jar IS the main protaganist, and he becomes a hentai tentacle monster. The manga is about what you'd expect from that premise(Also the manga is literally called Tentacle Hole)

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

It's a good thing we didn't get the title immediately, that might've influenced our thoughts of it

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Ytlaya posted:

This comic is absolutely just as jingoistic as GATE. It just takes the angle of "comically evil and smug fantasy foreigners force Japan to crush them with their mighty modern military."

It also bugs me that Japan is basically able to function normally in this story, despite being cut off from the rest of the world economy as a country with a significant trade deficit that is one of the top importers of food. I'm also pretty sure that they would have a very hard time maintaining stuff like their jets, given the way more complex military hardware like that is developed/manufactured in modern times.

It has some neat ideas (like there being other ex-earth countries that have earlier modern technology), but it's definitely more similar to GATE than it is different with regards to the jingoism. The main difference is that the foreign nations in this are more akin to "Earth nations from 100-200 years ago" as opposed to the more "pure" fantasy of the GATE fantasy world. So instead of actual Earth nations being antagonists (like in GATE) you instead get "fantasy nation that strongly resembles European Earth nation from the 19th to early 20th centuries."

yeah a vital part of the jingoistic power fantasy is that [your nation here] is an innocent shining jewel beset on all sides by savages jealous of your incredible success and traditional values

nothing will ever beat that one GATE page where a general wonders dramatically if japan might commit a war crime, for the first time ever

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry
That always made me laugh.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

that sounds like the writer actually knows a bit about history and is still mad that japan repeatedly tried and failed to get accepted into the Cool Colonial (White) Power Club.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Ytlaya posted:

It also bugs me that Japan is basically able to function normally in this story, despite being cut off from the rest of the world economy as a country with a significant trade deficit that is one of the top importers of food.

The very first country they interact with is like "Sure, we can send you millions of tons of grain, no problem."

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
I don’t mind it, of course the home country is gonna have bias and win.
Like how America always win in all of their stories or portrayed as the heroes to their audience.

Or how the alternate Korean or Chinese isekai stories has Korea/China as the top world power because of reasons and it’s America that keeps trying to undermine them.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Nipponophile posted:

The very first country they interact with is like "Sure, we can send you millions of tons of grain, no problem."

Yeah at no point is the question of money ever brought up, despite currency exchanges being a big deal historically and even still today. I don't see how Japan is paying for all this with a strict moratorium on selling modern technology.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
why, obviously they trade japan's rich natural resources like sakuradite or japanium ore.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
You mean soy sauce or mayo (Japanese mayo)?
It works in other isekai situations

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i knew that japan mostly depends on soybean imports, but i wasn't aware they are mostly self-sufficient with eggs. learn something new every day.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Kwyndig posted:

Yeah at no point is the question of money ever brought up, despite currency exchanges being a big deal historically and even still today. I don't see how Japan is paying for all this with a strict moratorium on selling modern technology.

Cultural exports, obviously. They're sending idols and nendoroids to every corner of the world.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

GateOfD posted:

I don’t mind it, of course the home country is gonna have bias and win.
Like how America always win in all of their stories or portrayed as the heroes to their audience.

Or how the alternate Korean or Chinese isekai stories has Korea/China as the top world power because of reasons and it’s America that keeps trying to undermine them.

i mean it sucks when any country does it, nationalism is a disease

though tbf with your example it isn't entirely wrong in china's case

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Nipponophile posted:

Cultural exports, obviously. They're sending idols and nendoroids to every corner of the world.
The power of Gundamium allows us to harness vast Otaku-particle energies!

*said in the manner of a Go Nagai superscience hero*

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
If Go Nagai wrote it it might he worth a drat.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Speaking of Super Robots and Isekai

Isekai Yuusha G-Shine
I still wish this was a fully fleshed out manga and not just a series of vignettes by the artist working on the Knight and Magic's manga adaptation at the time. But it's a fun brief read from a guy who is truly passionate about mecha and uses the Brave Series (Shows like Da-Garn or GaoGaiGar) as an inspiration.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

GateOfD posted:

This hasn't been true for a while.