Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

The virgin complaining about random numbers I saw in patch notes vs the chad getting very hype for new fruity little outfits

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BastardySkull
Apr 12, 2007

Whirling posted:

I still have no idea why they went with the Megamind-esque design for the Witness. There was concept art I think I recall seeing where it looked kind of like a space pharaoh, and that was pretty sweet and matched up with the whole Pyramid aesthetic, no idea why they ditched that in favor of somebody with big ol' Pixar character eyes.

It looks ridiculous and after liking the lore for ages I can't get behind their big Marvel turn.

edit: also the not-so-subtle redesign of the Pyramid aesthetics in Beyond Light was disappointing too.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

*stands heroically* I like The Witness

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
The Witness sucks but I am extremely on board for the Neomuna 80s lightwave aesthetic. The red headband helmet owns.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

The virgin complaining about random numbers I saw in patch notes vs the chad getting very hype for new fruity little outfits

Yeah, I glossed over numbers, I know a bunch of stuff I like is getting nerfed and/or buffed, I'm more keen on playing with the new stuff and also dress up games with Green Spider-Man roleplay.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

HOIL is still useable easily, just not brain dead

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

I like the Witness a lot but I also agree that the lore is sort of getting dumbed down and Marvelized in a way guys who watch Byf videos instead of reading it might really dig but I don’t.

making Nezarec a Thing instead of just an incidental piece of worldbuilding was a massive downgrade and they’ve been snuffing out far more mystery than I’d prefer, but oh well. still a cooler and more interesting world than Harry Potter or, yes, comic books

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
IMHO inside of PvE you get your ability uptime from Mods & Perks, and very rarely do you get it from passive cooldown & waiting around

I think HOIL is still going to be exceptional since it makes your grenade & melee do more damage, but it will be very annoying to have to chuck your grenade within ~4s of finishing the barricade animation

T1g4h posted:

Ornament, you say? Where can I find this?

If you want to see the exotic ornaments for Loreley, Dawn Chorus, and... something else that I can't recognize, you can fix and visit this link

twitter DOT com/JpDeathBlade/status/1630290835848691712?s=20

I don't want to direct link it because it will also show you the Legendary Ornaments that match certain Exotics, as well as Season 20 bright dust armor and other such cosmetics that some might not want to see

BastardySkull
Apr 12, 2007

I like the Witness a lot but I also agree that the lore is sort of getting dumbed down and Marvelized in a way guys who watch Byf videos instead of reading it might really dig but I don’t.

making Nezarec a Thing instead of just an incidental piece of worldbuilding was a massive downgrade and they’ve been snuffing out far more mystery than I’d prefer, but oh well. still a cooler and more interesting world than Harry Potter or, yes, comic books

Yeah this is where I'm at. Though, all that old stuff still exists and I can still read it. I guess having this kind of ultimate showdown with the Big Bad is always going to dispel a lot of the cool mystery, it's always the way.

I hope you all enjoy the new xpac. Very tempted to jump back in, I think my favourite period of time other than Taken King is probably Forsaken so will have to wait and see how this one pans out.

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

BastardySkull posted:

It looks ridiculous and after liking the lore for ages I can't get behind their big Marvel turn.

edit: also the not-so-subtle redesign of the Pyramid aesthetics in Beyond Light was disappointing too.

Honestly I'm not that bothered by them actually using lore stuff, since it feels refreshing for background details to actually matter unlike in The Elder Scrolls, but I would very much like the writing in the main game to be far less Marvel-like. Its so disorienting to come back from reading good sci-fi writing on Ishtar Collective and then get back into the game and hear people doing the worst banter imaginable.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Whirling posted:

I still have no idea why they went with the Megamind-esque design for the Witness. There was concept art I think I recall seeing where it looked kind of like a space pharaoh, and that was pretty sweet and matched up with the whole Pyramid aesthetic, no idea why they ditched that in favor of somebody with big ol' Pixar character eyes.

The Witness is a big ol' smokey head kitty who just wants to bat the traveller around. :3:

yes I saw the fanart and I love it.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
If it's any consolation regarding 'big bosses get lame once they show up in the actual gameplay' then you may be happy to hear that none of the big 3 writers were asked to generate ANY Xivu Arath content for LF or even TFS... Could just mean they have someone on the actual bungie payroll handling it but it's still super weird

and a bad sign, since the contracted writers do Very Good Work and the Bungie Staff Writers are.... less so

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

they should’ve sniped Seth Dickinson out from under the Subnautica mfs. Bungie Fail.

(the Lightfall CE stuff is really good tho, whoever worked on that. might even have been Seth again but all the avenues through which I’d bug Seth about it are gone)

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
kinda feels like bungie just wants to get all the dangling plot threads over and done with, instead of letting them dangle, and they realize it's gonna take through the final shape to tie them up

i'd rather let some things just... dangle, you know

arsenicCatnip
Dec 23, 2022

:33< i KNOW, i was speaking metafurrikitty :33

at least we'll always have the shadow demons that killed Drifter's crew, cause they'll probably never make those a real enemy

Yarrington
Jun 13, 2002

While I will admit to a certain cynicism, I am a nay-sayer and hatchet man in the fight against violence. I pride myself in taking a punch and I'll gladly take another.

they should’ve sniped Seth Dickinson out from under the Subnautica mfs. Bungie Fail.

(the Lightfall CE stuff is really good tho, whoever worked on that. might even have been Seth again but all the avenues through which I’d bug Seth about it are gone)

It was Seth (pre-Subnautica) per a post on r\DestinyLore from someone who'd presumably know. It definitely reads like them so I'd be shocked if it wasn't.

Panderfringe
Sep 12, 2011

yospos

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

You are wrong to.

God this expansion is going to be even worse than shadowkeep isn't it. Dumber story, regressive gameplay, just poo poo all around

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

same

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Panderfringe posted:

You are wrong to.

God this expansion is going to be even worse than shadowkeep isn't it. Dumber story, regressive gameplay, just poo poo all around

You say this about every expansion

And every season

arsenicCatnip
Dec 23, 2022

Panderfringe posted:

You are wrong to.

see you in game guardian!

Panderfringe
Sep 12, 2011

yospos

arsenicCatnip posted:

see you in game guardian!

Yeah I'm basically that boycott modern warfare 2 meme

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I started a Titan the other day and all I can say so far its ... gently caress yeah! A few observations though and I see why new players get hosed up.

Started the Titan fresh and just started working my way through the cosmodrome quests. I was about half way through the new player quests when I logged off for bed. I log back on the next day and the game immediately starts me on the Savathun quest on mars lol. I'm like power level 1400 (ish) so I give it a shot and while it was probably doable it was going to be a pain in the rear end. I quit out of the mission and go back to the comodrome.

I log back in the next day and the game again throws me into another quest but this time its the rasputin quest. I already know what is going on so I just quit out of it and go back to the cosmodrome.

If I was a new player though I'd have no fuckin clue what was going on and my first thought wouldn't be to quit out of the quest.

I'm really not so sure the game should just be throwing you into these quests like that.

Oh and the update is 87 gigs lol

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

In less than 24 hours, the new Guardian Ranks system will hopefully guide you on how to Destiny

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

SgtSteel91 posted:

In less than 24 hours, the new Guardian Ranks system will hopefully guide you on how to Destiny

I am honestly going to make a warlock and see if it really is improved.

Also I did kinda lol that they wanted to sell me 1530 upgrades for 2000 silver but I managed to get to like 1522 in like 2 hours (if that)

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

Honestly, it was frustrating to play FFXIV the first time around because it makes you do every single expansion in order, but gently caress it, that's probably way better for the average new player than Destiny 2's weird and disjointed system where you're doing a million different seasonal things out of context if you enter Vanguard Ops.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

MarcusSA posted:

Also I did kinda lol that they wanted to sell me 1530 upgrades for 2000 silver but I managed to get to like 1522 in like 2 hours (if that)

You are the perfect use case so please let us know how well it walks you through the onboarding

arsenicCatnip
Dec 23, 2022

MarcusSA posted:

those PL upgrades are the weirdest microtransactions I've seen in any game, it's not even skipping the part of the power grind people hate.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

RBX posted:

HOIL is still useable easily, just not brain dead
seems like a hosed up thing to do to Titans

Whirling posted:

Honestly, it was frustrating to play FFXIV the first time around because it makes you do every single expansion in order, but gently caress it, that's probably way better for the average new player than Destiny 2's weird and disjointed system where you're doing a million different seasonal things out of context if you enter Vanguard Ops.
FF14 (eventually) starts training you on mechanics, so by going through things in order, you'll actually learn about a stack marker and a gaze marker before you see the "gaze stack" marker. I am still kind of in awe of the time I started to be able to sight-read new raid encounters in Shadowbringers since they often actually structure fights in a ways you can learn them on the fly if you know what sorts of things to look for, and have seen enough mechanics to understand the ways they'll combine them or iterate on them.

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

Whirling posted:

I would rather deal with Destiny not telling new players a loving thing, than have to suffer through the slog that is ARR.

Who's ready for that dumbass reddit "twas the night before" thread?

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

Oxyclean posted:

FF14 (eventually) starts training you on mechanics, so by going through things in order, you'll actually learn about a stack marker and a gaze marker before you see the "gaze stack" marker. I am still kind of in awe of the time I started to be able to sight-read new raid encounters in Shadowbringers since they often actually structure fights in a ways you can learn them on the fly if you know what sorts of things to look for, and have seen enough mechanics to understand the ways they'll combine them or iterate on them.

That's the other thing: I can actually learn some of what I need to do for FFXIV by just playing the raids, reading the ability tool-tips, and doing the combos in the right order. Meanwhile, I gotta sift through several websites to figure out what to do with armor mods alone (by the way, why the hell were these even for sale and not just a default thing you get back in the day?), and that's assuming these articles or videos are made by people who know what they're doing and not just clickbait assembled by a very tired person trying to get ad money.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/Dysruptz/status/1630166528510287873?s=20

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

My complaint with those pop ups is I couldn’t find them again because I clicked too fast and wanted to go back and read what it said.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.

life_source
May 11, 2008

i got tired of looking at your edgy baby avatar that a 14-year old would be proud of
ron run need 5 must commend leadership or ban

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Yarrington posted:

It was Seth (pre-Subnautica) per a post on r\DestinyLore from someone who'd presumably know. It definitely reads like them so I'd be shocked if it wasn't.

ahh awesome. I miss them, one time I PM’d them on R*ddit after they’d disappeared for a couple weeks and said basically like “hope you’re well, you’re so awesome and talented and funny” etc and they messaged me back something like “no u”

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Whirling posted:

That's the other thing: I can actually learn some of what I need to do for FFXIV by just playing the raids, reading the ability tool-tips, and doing the combos in the right order. Meanwhile, I gotta sift through several websites to figure out what to do with armor mods alone (by the way, why the hell were these even for sale and not just a default thing you get back in the day?), and that's assuming these articles or videos are made by people who know what they're doing and not just clickbait assembled by a very tired person trying to get ad money.

Yeah Destiny 2 is not the most straight forward to learn, but I feel like stuff like Light 3.0 was a big step forward to like, something approaching "you can read tooltips and understand at least something you might want out of your build" and I hope Armor 3.0 follows suit, and I sort of feel like armor charge system might actually accomplish that since it feels like it should be fairly straight forward to understand?

But one gripe I think that will remain is the "okay, but how do I min-max" and for something like WoW, you just go over to wowhead or icy veins, click a guide, and then follow their talent build and stat priorities. Where as destiny doesn't really have good, quick, resources for builds - like you said, it's just like, random youtube and article barf and it can be hard to tell if it's even relevant to the current state of the game. It's almost always a bit long winded, and maybe that's the nature of explaining how to actually make use of the build.

But sometimes you just wanna know what you should slap on so you got something better then nothing.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Oh and another thing! Because I was playing a Titan I didn't have Solar or Void unlocked when it started throwing me into these expansion quests so if I would have just continued with those who knows when I would have been lead to unlock them lol

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
re: having a Big Bad

the last three years of destiny have been "let's introduce a clear representative of the darkness to reflect the traveler" and "let's align all of the evil aliens with this force." i'm ambivalent on the former (yeah its kind of a lame design), but the latter part is super cool. it reminds me of destiny 1 calling enemies "minions of the darkness" and everyone going "what the gently caress does that mean, how are these things linked to the darkness, we're clearly linked to the light via the traveler but i have no idea what is motivating these guys"

they've now done this really amazing job moving around the pieces and factions on the board and getting so much depth out of the four enemy types they launched in 2014 that i can no longer mock their inability to create new models and now have to simply respect it. now, explicitly aligned with the darkness by way of the witness, you've got:

* the fallen (eramis/house of salvation)
* the scorn (xivu arath)
* hive (xivu arath again)
* vex (sol divisive, which hey they've been around for-loving-ever huh)
* cabal (calus)
* (trailers + speculation) tormentors! they did add new guys! which presumably may that longstanding drifter lore about the weird ice planet

and then still on the periphery you've got:

* other vex still trying to figure out what in the gently caress is going on with paracausality
* savathun's/immaru's lucent hive, who are probably just going to hang out in the throne world so we can continue completing bounties, but maybe they'll pop up again
* probably some miscellaneous fallen houses who aren't aligned with us or with the darkness
* some other cabal deserters who didn't align with calus?

so when they talk about post final shape content, its actually kinda easy to imagine some "mop-up" story now divorced entirely from the darkness

i have a number of friends coming back for lightfall, and im kinda glad i can just tell them "ok, listen, all these guys we're fighting (probably) are working for that dreamworks looking motherfucker," rather than having to break down the specific grievances of fallen houses or whatever

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Witness can make 'Nightmares' so every enemy faction is on the table going forward no matter how much we ally with the real ones

Also there's a second faction of Cabal on team darkess - the Psions. They're interesting because Otzot & co helped to oust Calus way back when, but they more recently betrayed Caital to join team Nezarec so it'll be interesting to see if there's bad blood among the Witness' cabal broods.

If Calus dies in the LF campaign then the 'loyalists' will all be loyal to the Witness instead so it's probably moot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
Can someone pick up the light, please?

Light all over the floor.