Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

mastajake posted:

Would have been fixed by a boss rush mode.
"Why is there an Ice Shriekbat and Aqua Drone teamup round"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
I feel like Primes 2 & 3 make the missable scans less punishing? Maybe because MP2's menu navigation is a dumpster fire and by MP3 I just didn't care.

But yes, the solution would be to automatically populate log scans for no-longer-observable enemies. Especially for bosses, right, you already defeated them (and probably a harder way if you didn't uncover a scan target) why not get the scan as a freebie?

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Paper Mario TTYD had a good system where if you didn't scan the enemy for notes and it was a limited/missable encounter, the notes would be in a trash bin back at your house.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Tender Bender posted:

Paper Mario TTYD had a good system where if you didn't scan the enemy for notes and it was a limited/missable encounter, the notes would be in a trash bin back at your house.

Samus goes back to her ship, the ship fills in the missing log entries. That would only work if the computer were Adam and he said something snarky about her missing the scan.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Samus goes back to her ship, the ship fills in the missing log entries. That would only work if the computer were Adam and he said something snarky about her missing the scan.

the scans you miss can be found on a space pirate computer who is studying “blind spots in the hunter’s knowledge” that could be used against her

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Tbh all they would need is for the combat visor to display a different color lock-on circle when you're targeting an unscanned enemy.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Scans are at least much easier in MP2 and MP3 due to the whole enemy having a different color to signify their scan status compared to mp1 just having icons over the general center that you have to be looking at directly to see.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

something i never noticed until playing the remaster is that the chozo, in all their wisdom, designed a beam cannon for samus that requires her to dislocate her ring finger whenever she wants to fire a normal power beam.

honestly it's a miracle that it took all the way until dread for this woman to go berserk

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Augus posted:

something i never noticed until playing the remaster is that the chozo, in all their wisdom, designed a beam cannon for samus that requires her to dislocate her ring finger whenever she wants to fire a normal power beam.

???

Are you talking about the spock hand or the shocker?

E: I apparently have a terrible memory of the symbols, wow

Sockser fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Feb 24, 2023

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
Quadraxis rules.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

MP2 boss scans were much worse, but at least they took energy/ammo pickups out of the logbook.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Bloody Pom posted:

MP2 boss scans were much worse, but at least they took energy/ammo pickups out of the logbook.

Those were fine, the silly ones were the stalactite you can knock down with a missile being a scan. That’s missable too!

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Didn't Prime 1 have some weird upgrades you had to scan too?

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Oxyclean posted:

Didn't Prime 1 have some weird upgrades you had to scan too?

Research scans were stuff like health/missile/power bomb pickups, morph ball bomb slots, spinners (for use with boost ball), missile door barriers, the barriers that appear on doors to lock you in until you kill all the enemies, stalactites that you can knock down. Those are all I can think of off the top of my head so yeah they were kind of weird and random. But you didn’t need to scan any upgrades thankfully.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

Just thought I'd drop in to say that playing this game for the first time last week, I had a good chuckle when I got to the Elite Pirates and every boss after that and finally understood why you said Big Shot was "Guest designed by Retro Studios" in your Salmon Run guide.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Item Getter posted:

Just thought I'd drop in to say that playing this game for the first time last week, I had a good chuckle when I got to the Elite Pirates and every boss after that and finally understood why you said Big Shot was "Guest designed by Retro Studios" in your Salmon Run guide.

Haha, yuuuup. It's one of those things you just can't unsee. I'm glad people still remember that guide; maybe I should update it again. Retro and shockwaves is a meme that just kind of stuck with me, and now I look for similar things in other games (consider: Team Cherry and lasers/spikes/pillars coming out of the ground at even intervals).

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I am now the proud owner of a hacked PS Vita, and I tried looking for a Vita port of AM2R but the results I was getting from google were saying that it's less-than-stable and hasn't been updated in quite a while, does anyone have a link to what I should be looking for? Thanks!

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Research scans were stuff like health/missile/power bomb pickups, morph ball bomb slots, spinners (for use with boost ball), missile door barriers, the barriers that appear on doors to lock you in until you kill all the enemies, stalactites that you can knock down. Those are all I can think of off the top of my head so yeah they were kind of weird and random. But you didn’t need to scan any upgrades thankfully.
A devious one is map stations because you can only scan them unused and eventually you run out of map stations

You also didn't list spider ball tracks and grapple points, both only valid entries after you get the relevant items (not missable tho)

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Just rolled credits, amazing game, amazing remaster. I've been trying to put a finger on what exactly bugs me about the last act of this game but one way or another I think it just comes down to the fact that the Phazon Mines suck.

Visually, they're not that interesting except for the mushroom areas. The music is pretty dull and a step down from the rest of the game imo. There's not much in the way of interesting exploration or secrets despite the fact that it's the most convoluted map. And most of the enemies are Beam Pirates which means you're doing a lot of traditional FPS corridor shootouts which plays against the game's strengths. And it's the last new area.

It just means, at least for me, that the whole last chunk of the game is a big "ugh let's get this over with". Pretty much as soon as you leave the Crashed Frigate you're either in the mines or backtracking. It's a testament to how much the rest of the game rules that I still consider it one of my all time favorites!

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I actually really like the Phazon Mines but I can see why some people don't. I enjoy the initial endurance test of getting down to the power bombs and the atmosphere of Level 3 is really good.
Although, on this playthrough I did get stuck in front of a mandatory power bomb wall on Level 3 and have to run around killing enemies to farm for a drop and that sucked!

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Simply Simon posted:

A devious one is map stations because you can only scan them unused and eventually you run out of map stations

You also didn't list spider ball tracks and grapple points, both only valid entries after you get the relevant items (not missable tho)

Yeah I was thinking about that last night.

Also save stations and missile stations, the latter of which there are only three of? You can scan the map station in the opening Frigate Orpheon and the game is encouraging you to scan everything so I usually pick it up then.

BrokenLink
Apr 27, 2013
Then 2 ups the ante by having you have to scan the morph ball cannons BEFORE you activate them, the ship before you make any progress, turrets you can only scan during the one time they're attacking you and not after even though you can get in them, a set of web things that weirdly show up only once, invisible containers that only become scannable when you hit them, and an organic door lock that exists for the length of one fight.

BrokenLink fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Feb 24, 2023

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Augus posted:

I actually really like the Phazon Mines but I can see why some people don't. I enjoy the initial endurance test of getting down to the power bombs and the atmosphere of Level 3 is really good.
Although, on this playthrough I did get stuck in front of a mandatory power bomb wall on Level 3 and have to run around killing enemies to farm for a drop and that sucked!

I actually don't mind it that much on the initial endurance run either, it's after that when you're going back and forth like you mentioned as you get upgrades and have to keep slogging through Beam Pirates. On Normal they each take 2-3 charge beam shots (and Hard is even worse) and there's so many of them. And aesthetically I find the Mines really dull.

But to each their own!

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
My copy of Metroid Prime Remastered came in today. I completed my most recent playthrough of the trilogy version back in November, so this is all very fresh in mind. Some initial impressions that I haven't necessarily seen elsewhere:

The new models and textures are very well done, it looks very good. That said, it's a bit of a shame there isn't enough power budget in the Switch to do some kind of anti-aliasing. One of the things I liked about playing the trilogy version in PrimeHack is that I could turn on 4x MSAA which was really nice to clean up jaggies around the doors and elsewhere where the game has deliberately simple geometry. That said, if AA came at the cost of 60 FPS then I think they went with the right balance here. It's pretty refreshing to play Switch games at 60 since very few do these days.

Retro committed the cardinal sin of not using the Switch's built-in gyro in handheld mode, so there's no gyro controls when using a Split Pad Pro. Fortunately gyro controls aren't necessary for this game but I would've liked them in handheld. It's just a shame that nobody but Nightdive gets this right. It's especially frustrating since Valve figured out how to make gyro work with any first-person game that runs on the Steam Deck, which includes PrimeHack. For me, it's a basic quality-of-life feature these days.

The triple-shot power beam thing is a bit of an odd choice. I think this means it actually takes the beam longer from button press to charge? Will have to see how this impacts things.

Perhaps it's a bit too early to make this call, but while the remastered version is easily the best looking version of the game, I'd argue that MPT via PrimeHack on the Deck is the best feeling version of the game to play. Certainly I'd still recommend that as a path for anyone interested in Primes 2 & 3 after playing this.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Counterpoint: Handheld gyro controls always suck and they made the right call to not try and shoehorn a useless gimick.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

yeah i also call it shoehorning in a useless gimmick whenever a game has something i don't personally enjoy but doesn't affect me at all lol

also you literally can do handheld gyro controls the complaint was that they use the joycon gyro so it doesn't work for third party controllers

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Amppelix posted:

yeah i also call it shoehorning in a useless gimmick whenever a game has something i don't personally enjoy but doesn't affect me at all lol

also you literally can do handheld gyro controls the complaint was that they use the joycon gyro so it doesn't work for third party controllers

Yea, sure, that's why.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I actually didn't realize the Switch "body" has gyro, I thought it was only in the joycons.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

CainFortea posted:

Yea, sure, that's why.

what the gently caress are you talking about

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
That one Magmoor Caverns bomb jump energy tank gave me so much grief as a kid, and this time I got it on my third try! (Without taking the coward’s way and using Spring Ball :smuggo:)

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Zoran posted:

That one Magmoor Caverns bomb jump energy tank gave me so much grief as a kid, and this time I got it on my third try! (Without taking the coward’s way and using Spring Ball :smuggo:)

drat, nice! I had to abandon my first attempt and came back later when I had a lot more energy tanks.

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

Anyone trying to secure a copy of Metroid Prime Remastered, try the HotStock app. After maybe 4-5 attempts that it notified me it was available on Best Buy’s online store, I finally got it to be picked up March 3rd. Each time it was available, it was gone in less than a minute.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Tender Bender posted:

Breath of the Wild let you buy entries for items and enemies you'd missed. I wish more games did that.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

DoctorWhat posted:

what the gently caress are you talking about

Metroid Prime on switch.

Books On Tape
Dec 26, 2003

Future of the franchise
This is my first time playing Prime. Not very far in, but loving everything save for the scanning controls. Having to constantly switch visors is very tedious. Do you end up getting an upgraded scanning visor or something? I know this is an old game, but scanning should just be walk up to the thing and scan it, not switch out of combat to scan visor, scan the thing, then switch back to combat.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Books On Tape posted:

This is my first time playing Prime. Not very far in, but loving everything save for the scanning controls. Having to constantly switch visors is very tedious. Do you end up getting an upgraded scanning visor or something? I know this is an old game, but scanning should just be walk up to the thing and scan it, not switch out of combat to scan visor, scan the thing, then switch back to combat.

scanning visor, no. This is how it always worked :(

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Nope. All three Primes have functionality identical Scan Visors and they function the same as they do from the start of the game.

Always have to select it, and then lick on to scan. At least you can just tap the shoot button to go back to the basic combat visor.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
https://twitter.com/nintendoamerica/status/1631459746493464577?s=46&t=fkkcmPjGcNs4Q8LKoCu-8g

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

They’re loving doing it, the mad lads :stwoon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Icon Of Sin posted:

They’re loving doing it, the mad lads :stwoon:

Wasn’t Fusion on the “New games will be periodically added” section of the GBA games Switch announcement, so we already knew it was coming?

That said, I did not expect it so soon.