Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

It's been years since I've had a filled doughnut. At least a decade.

Mokotow posted:

I tap out at around 8 throughout the day

:staredog:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
I'm at 8 but then again I'm not eating anything else today as a principle.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

I remember a couple years back when my office floor had a fuckton of pączki per person, so we figured out you can microwave them the next day and they are still pretty decent. Between those 2 days I was probably at 15, and very very sick. WFH today, so I'll probably end up with 3.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

alex314 posted:

I remember a couple years back when my office floor had a fuckton of pączki per person, so we figured out you can microwave them the next day and they are still pretty decent.

:hmmyes:

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Pouring one out for dunkin donuts, which while dreadful in their own way were a nice respite from the tyranny of pączki both times they tried to establish in Poland.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Closest one is in Berlin I think. I was trying to explain the virtues of a boston creme with coffee to my wife a few weeks ago when we were standing in fron of one on Alexanderplatz when she asked me who this Dunkin fella was.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
My mom always makes a batch the week before and another the day before, so I intake like 8-10 over the course of the week and just a few on the day.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Talking about Dunkin Donuts - I like bad coffee. I often go to McDonalds or Starbucks for "large black". I've used to use those vending coffee things as well. So I've tried DD one back when they were present in commercial passages near Central Railway Station in Warsaw. I expected the same old fast food level of coffee, but it was really bad. Tasted like when you're cheap weirdo and do 3 "lungo" shots from one capsule of Nespresso. Donuts were ok, tasted artificial as expected out of US based foodstuff.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

cinci zoo sniper posted:

It's been years since I've had a filled doughnut. At least a decade.

May I interest you in these?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Antigravitas posted:

you do actually, that looks pretty good. i basically subsided on schnitzel buns during my brief stay in bonn, and sweet & savoury is a combination I'm cool to try

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Antigravitas posted:

Ahh the German Luther Burger

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
South Urals man admits sabotage of public property, is probably a foreign agent :commissar:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBHLqwv3sLU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Nenonen posted:

South Urals man admits sabotage of public property, is probably a foreign agent :commissar:

Resembles gallows? 40 years in prison for threat to Putin.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

quote:

Latvia says it is planning to confiscate cars from drunk drivers to donate to Ukraine's army

Latvia is planning to donate cars confiscated from drunk drivers to Ukraine's army.

Latvia's finance ministry confirmed that the coalition government agreed on the proposal on Monday.

Volunteers in Ukraine have been retrofitting civilian cars to turn into military-grade vehicles.

Latvia's government is looking to hand over cars confiscated from drunk drivers to the Ukrainian army after the country's new coalition government approved the measure on Monday.

Latvian Prime Krišjānis Kariņ announced the proposal, which was put forward by the finance ministry, at a press briefing on Monday, according to national public broadcaster LSM News.

The finance ministry is currently revising the proposal to prepare it for implementation, a spokesperson confirmed to Insider in an email.
https://news.yahoo.com/latvia-says-planning-confiscate-cars-143657982.html

Thank you for your service, Latvian drunks! :patriot:

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
If I were a Latvian bar owner I would offer free shots to anyone coming with their own car.

When I was staying in Riga there was a bar called Perse across my nightstead. In Finnish it means rear end. This was my personal Latvia experience, thank you for listening :tipshat:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Nenonen posted:

If I were a Latvian bar owner I would offer free shots to anyone coming with their own car.

When I was staying in Riga there was a bar called Perse across my nightstead. In Finnish it means rear end. This was my personal Latvia experience, thank you for listening :tipshat:

I'm guessing Pērse, which is a river near the university I went to

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC
Käi perse

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Nenonen posted:

"Did you steal the toilet?'
"No."
"Honestly though, you took it for firewood, correct?"
"Yes."

:lol: :lmao:

a podcast for cats
Jun 22, 2005

Dogs reading from an artifact buried in the ruins of our civilization, "We were assholes- " and writing solemnly, "They were assholes."
Soiled Meat

Nenonen posted:

It may or may not be a time honoured Latvian tradition regardless.

Exhibit A: late 1980s music video with some Depeche Mode influences: https://youtu.be/ZfaBSwnwgXM

Estonians making fun at both the river and the cafe has been part of road trip trivia since I was kid too.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 3 days!)

Going to Budapest on Thursday March 2nd, coming home on Sunday. Any Hungoons suggestions for Friday and Saturday activities?

There are half day and whole day tours, Castle, Parliament, Opera House, Fisherman's Bastion, Great Synagogue, sort of thing. Any particular museums?
Anything to avoid?

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort

Rust Martialis posted:

Going to Budapest on Thursday March 2nd, coming home on Sunday. Any Hungoons suggestions for Friday and Saturday activities?

There are half day and whole day tours, Castle, Parliament, Opera House, Fisherman's Bastion, Great Synagogue, sort of thing. Any particular museums?
Anything to avoid?

This thread will probably have more recommendations:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3318901&pagenumber=373#lastpost

- The Hungarian National Museum is impressive, it has a good ancient Egypt collection and the cafe had good cake.
- I liked the Natural History Museum too but it had some exhibitions (or maybe I'm remembering the museum shop) that had information only in Hungarian.
- I always like to spend a few hours at the Pinball Museum.
- Budapest was some 6-7 years ago the Room Escape capital of Europe. Maybe it still is, I don't follow the scene any more.
- Wasabi.hu is a good all you can eat sushi place with meals circling on that little conveyor belt.
- I liked The House of Houdini. Small but charming in a peculiar way.

Doctor Malaver fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Feb 20, 2023

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Doctor Malaver posted:

This thread will probably have more recommendations:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3318901&pagenumber=373#lastpost

- The Hungarian National Museum is impressive, it has a good ancient Egypt collection and the cafe had good cake.
- I liked the Natural History Museum too but it had some exhibitions (or maybe I'm remembering the museum shop) that had information only in Hungarian.
- I always like to spend a few hours at the Pinball Museum.
- Budapest was some 6-7 years ago the Room Escape capital of Europe. Maybe it still is, I don't follow the scene any more.
- Wasabi.hu is a good all you can eat sushi place with meals circling on that little conveyor belt.
- I liked The House of Houdini. Small but charming in a peculiar way.

I... this is another reason I need to visit Budapest again because I think I missed most of this. But I also stumbled into a big street food festival when I was there last so I still came out ahead.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

https://notesfrompoland.com/2023/02/24/warsaw-refuses-to-certify-157-micro-apartments-in-citys-hong-kong-complex/

Rich dude in Warsaw is super annoyed his genius plan of skimming the regulations did not pan out. He tried to register micro-apartments as hotel rooms he would then sell on to private “investors”. Now he’s extra mad at the city authorities. Luckily, the whole oligarch thing hasn’t really caught on, so he can go and pound sand.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Mokotow posted:

https://notesfrompoland.com/2023/02/24/warsaw-refuses-to-certify-157-micro-apartments-in-citys-hong-kong-complex/

Rich dude in Warsaw is super annoyed his genius plan of skimming the regulations did not pan out. He tried to register micro-apartments as hotel rooms he would then sell on to private “investors”. Now he’s extra mad at the city authorities. Luckily, the whole oligarch thing hasn’t really caught on, so he can go and pound sand.

quote:

Some of the properties are advertised by developer JW Construction as “micro-apartments”. They include units below the 25 square metres required under Polish law for residential properties, with the smallest being 18 square metres in size, reports the Gazeta Wyborcza daily.

Officially they were built under a permit for a hotel, which would allow the rooms to be that small. But in fact they do not function as part of the hotel but are rather sold on the open market, city officials told the newspaper.

As a result, the authorities have refused to issue certification for them. They also told Gazeta Wyborcza that JW Construction has in any case not even demonstrated that the rooms meet the requirements for a hotel, as is required under regulations.

:laffo: Get bent, slumlord.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Mokotow posted:

That place looks like a total nightmare and obvious future urban blight, it's a joke it got approved in the first place, and got so far as to even start construction.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Also yeah, what's up with that skyline of a concrete spiral

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Looks like we've parked a shot Russian T-72 in front of their embassy lmao

RedSnapper
Nov 22, 2016
The Warsaw Hongkong is not just an oppressive, urban hellscape - it's an urban hellscape built just next to another, bigger (but SLIGHTLY less dense) apartment building project. It's single-lane streets also connect directly into one of Warsaw's busiest communication arteries :D

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Looks like we've parked a shot Russian T-72 in front of their embassy lmao

Oh hey, I just went and took a look at the one that they brought to the Freedom Square in Tallinn!

cinci zoo sniper posted:

:emptyquote:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Angryhead posted:

Oh hey, I just went and took a look at the one that they brought to the Freedom Square in Tallinn!

:emptyquote:

Oh nice, it appears this could indeed be the Ukrainian government helping send them out for the anniversary, as it was suggested to me yesterday. I think that's cool – our giant skele-Putin is a thing, but it doesn't really ground the public conscience in what the war is like on a day-to-day basis. All that said, I hope I'm merely not seeing the story poster accompanying your tank, since the wall of text you see on our photo describes where it was made, where it fought, how it died, and so on.

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Oh nice, it appears this could indeed be the Ukrainian government helping send them out for the anniversary, as it was suggested to me yesterday. I think that's cool – our giant skele-Putin is a thing, but it doesn't really ground the public conscience in what the war is like on a day-to-day basis. All that said, I hope I'm merely not seeing the story poster accompanying your tank, since the wall of text you see on our photo describes where it was made, where it fought, how it died, and so on.
Oh, I'm not sure if there's any plaque; I didn't spend much time getting up close to find one, but it's been on the news:

quote:

The tank is to remain in Freedom Square until March 2, Delfi reports, after which it will embark on a tour of Estonia, stopping off at various towns for public display.

Its ultimate resting place will be the National War Museum in Viimsi, just outside Tallinn, where it will remain on display.

The tank is one of several Ukraine has sent to all three Baltic States, and also to Germany, with the intention of their becoming museum pieces in those countries, having been captured by Ukrainian forces during the course of the invasion.

fake edit: oh nevermind there's little info plaques clearly visible in the first picture there hah

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Today in what Russian cops bother with to not get sent to the Bakhmut trenches - they have started a crackdown on teenagers affiliated with the fearsome Ryodan PMC

https://twitter.com/KevinRothrock/status/1630313046554865664

What is Ryodan PMC you ask? Well, it is a group of terminally irony poisoned and very aggressive weeabos who formed as a fanclub of a Dota 2-themed tiktok rapper. In order too stop being bullied they have started dressing in spider hoodies referencing a gang from HunterXHunter manga. They have started public fights in Moscow malls and seek beefs with football ultras, skinheads, Caucasian gangs and Central Asian migrants. Both skinheads and caucasians did not take that well and started publicly beating the poo poo out of kids just the same.

In a sudden display of soft power those vape-crazy kids even manage to influence similar doomer teens to raise hell in Ukraine, including Ivano-Frankivsk, a place long believed to be supremely hostile to any Russian influence.

https://twitter.com/go2the5dogs/status/1629929696979722256

lots of weebs were arrested in Kharkiv too
https://twitter.com/Ars7513/status/1630302100352540673

cue Ukrainian police raising alarm about Russian psyops while Russian politicians warn about the threat of western degeneracy

Teens love it and it is hillarious and horryfying at the same time because cops are 100% going to declare some of those kids as terrorists just like the one who blew up FSB headquarters in Minecraft.

Cyberpunk is loving here and it is a shame that Andrew Callaghan turned out to be a sex pest because I don't think there is anyone else on the planet equipped to cover it

fatherboxx fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Feb 27, 2023

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Thanks for this! I saw a bizzare vid of some emo/manga kids exchanging blows in a Moscow mall and had no idea wtf I’m seeing.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

extremely disappointed that no one was doing the naruto run in the videos

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

cinci zoo sniper posted:

extremely disappointed that no one was doing the naruto run in the videos
This is the first thing that I thought of too.

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021

Mokotow posted:

Waiting for Mentzen or other Konfederacja shithead to butthurt how oppressive commies destroy free market, literally 1984.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

fatherboxx posted:

Teens love it and it is hillarious and horryfying at the same time because cops are 100% going to declare some of those kids as terrorists just like the one who blew up FSB headquarters in Minecraft.

Wait, what?

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

https://amp.theguardian.com/world/2022/feb/10/russian-teenager-nikita-uvarov-jailed-over-minecraft-plot-to-blow-up-virtual-spy-hq

5 years penal colony

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

fatherboxx posted:

Cyberpunk is loving here and it is a shame that Andrew Callaghan turned out to be a sex pest because I don't think there is anyone else on the planet equipped to cover it

WHAT. Why did this happen oh nooooooo
Ironic since I think his Kiev coverage was one of the best ones out there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

btw, xbone game pass is now broadly available in ee https://www.engadget.com/microsoft-pc-game-pass-40-new-countries-131022625.html