Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Is it just me or has there been a whole lot of X-villains who are just evil geneticists now? I suppose there's a thematic logic to the X-Men constantly fighting gene-splicing baddies, but I can't remember if it's always been this way or if every single ongoing title having some rando with a PhD cooking up some sci-fi genetic monstrosity in their lab is a more recent development.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I feel like it's always been an X-Men villain archetype but the focus on genetics as battlefield of destiny in Powers of X, plus the prominence of Mr. Sinister in the Krakoa era, plus the fact that the protagonists now rely on cloning as a building block of their status quo, were all probably factors increasing the thematic relevance of the evil geneticist.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
That and the way Krakoa is monolithically focused on the X-gene as what makes you a mutant, to the point of excluding non-X-gene mutants like Franklin Richards.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Well Richards was supposed to be in the mix of Krakoa but he was written out of it on the FF side.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yeah, he was explicitly listed as an omega in HoX/PoX or X-Men and from interviews Hickman definitely sounded a bit bummed he had him taken away because of what Slott was writing.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Least it has a easy fix that it was not actually Xavier contacting him.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Rand Brittain posted:

That and the way Krakoa is monolithically focused on the X-gene as what makes you a mutant, to the point of excluding non-X-gene mutants like Franklin Richards.

Which is a bit iffy in the X Run itself. Juggernaut and Mimic are allowed on Krakoa and neither of them are mutants.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

And Warlock and Broo.

Synesthesian Fetish
Apr 29, 2008

Ya know, I useta be President... I'll let you kids punch me anywhere but the face for a dollar.

rantmo posted:

And Warlock and Broo.

I'm pretty sure they are both mutants of their own race. Like, the x-gene is universal, not just in humans

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Synesthesian Fetish posted:

I'm pretty sure they are both mutants of their own race. Like, the x-gene is universal, not just in humans

That's absolutely not the case with Warlock, at least. Broo I'm less confidant about. I'm pretty sure that the x-gene is earth based though, there are non-humans with the x-gene but they're all at least partially human so far as I can recall. Which non-humans have the x-gene?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Warlock's just considered a mutant socially because he doesn't want to murder.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Aphrodite posted:

Warlock's just considered a mutant socially because he doesn't want to murder.

Yeah, exactly this. The rest of the Technarchy/Phalanx are all genocidal weirdos with Warlock's dad Magus having been the worst of them. Apparently Broo is similar because he gets things like 'empathy for non-Brood.'

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
warlock's dad is Adam warlock?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

X-Men Warlock and daddy Magus were introduced during a time Adam Warlock hadn't been used in several years, so speculation is it was a trademark protection thing.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
lol

Synesthesian Fetish
Apr 29, 2008

Ya know, I useta be President... I'll let you kids punch me anywhere but the face for a dollar.

rantmo posted:

That's absolutely not the case with Warlock, at least. Broo I'm less confidant about. I'm pretty sure that the x-gene is earth based though, there are non-humans with the x-gene but they're all at least partially human so far as I can recall. Which non-humans have the x-gene?

https://imgur.com/a/v49RQ88

and

https://imgur.com/a/dKApijB

Synesthesian Fetish fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Feb 27, 2023

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

I'm not convinced that either of those are to be read as having the x-gene.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
This just came up, but I'm pretty sure Warlock and Broo are mutants in the general sense of "not being typical members of their species," not literally having an X-gene.

Along those lines, are there any Marvel characters who are mutants in that sense, ie having some kind of power naturally but not being a capital-M Mutant? No radioactive spider, no Eye of Agamatto, etc., just being able to conjure fire naturally? X-Men has been popular for so long I doubt there's anybody whom they wouldn't have just made a mutant, but it would be interesting to see if there's some kind of mutant/Mutant solidarity there.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
isn't that just everyone who can use magic? so like all of strange academy

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Quake was like that before they retconned her into being Inhuman.

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

rantmo posted:

Warlock is there because Krakoa says he can be there. He and Doug fall into the "ultimately the island has the final say in what happens on it" clause, and the three of them are the architects of the current state of Krakoa. Doug talks to/is the voice of the island, and Krakoa allowed Warlock to terraform it.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

rantmo posted:

Weren't the Skrull Cadre-K written as capital-M Mutants? Really like to see them come back on Krakoa.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

It'd be interesting if Cain was a low level mutant who's ability was to slowly absorb magical energy, which is why he retains some Juggernaut abilities even during the times when he's not bonded to the gem.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

We Got Us A Bread posted:

Warlock is there because Krakoa says he can be there. He and Doug fall into the "ultimately the island has the final say in what happens on it" clause, and the three of them are the architects of the current state of Krakoa. Doug talks to/is the voice of the island, and Krakoa allowed Warlock to terraform it.

Right, Warlock is not a capital x-gene mutant.

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

It'd be interesting if Cain was a low level mutant who's ability was to slowly absorb magical energy, which is why he retains some Juggernaut abilities even during the times when he's not bonded to the gem.

Honestly, I wouldn't hate that.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Checked out the new Rogue and Gambit book today, mostly because I've enjoyed their dynamic with Destiny in Duggan's run and had heard Manifold would be in this. A little too early for me to judge, as it mostly just set up the plot. Not much good or bad stood out. Will give it another issue or two to get going. Though it reminded me I need to check out Kelly Thompson's series.

Synesthesian Fetish
Apr 29, 2008

Omega Red tasting the giant's blood from Deadpool’s suit was such a character moment for him

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
I'm enjoying Percy's stuff more than most I think, but it still felt great to see him wrap up a subplot in a relatively clean and conclusive way.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
one feature of the krakoa era has been adding in a seemingly endless array of anti-mutant villains. the difference from previous x-books is that none of them were ever really defeated and put out of action, even temporarily. other kinds of villains, sure. but not orchis and their ilk. so, i'll give percy that much. he actually ended it with this one instead of having the dude run off yet again and continue his bullshit.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
Did the new X-Force finally deal with that shady villain?

Good. gently caress Hank.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

How Wonderful! posted:

I'm enjoying Percy's stuff more than most I think, but it still felt great to see him wrap up a subplot in a relatively clean and conclusive way.

Yeah i actually really liked this issue of X-Force

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Can't believe Beast finally got his comeuppance.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
The way that Orchis is a catch-all for all anti-mutant sentiment now feels a little too tidy for me. I guess it makes sense from a "All the mutants are united, so why wouldn't the villains?" except the mutants aren't really THAT united and it's not like you don't have factions in the real world dealing with multiple distinct groups that have irrational hatred towards them who probably wouldn't get along if they were in the same room.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

OnimaruXLR posted:

The way that Orchis is a catch-all for all anti-mutant sentiment now feels a little too tidy for me. I guess it makes sense from a "All the mutants are united, so why wouldn't the villains?" except the mutants aren't really THAT united and it's not like you don't have factions in the real world dealing with multiple distinct groups that have irrational hatred towards them who probably wouldn't get along if they were in the same room.

Mutants colonized Mars, declared themselves rulers of the solar system, and made themselves immortal. Their enemies weren't going to sit on the sidelines playing the same old game.

e: Also on a narrative level you can't have the same level of enemies because current mutants would stomp them out. That's the problem with escalation in a medium like this. Everything needs to escalate if you want to keep the status quo.

Mulva fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Mar 2, 2023

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Krakoa has also been very much showing a united front, even if they're not actually particularly united.

But yeah, mutants claiming dominion over the solar system is certainly going to get the anti-mutant groups actually working together.

(But also I think they've been hinting - if not outright stating - that some factions of Orchis aren't actually aware they're part of it.)

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Saoshyant posted:

Can't believe Beast finally got his comeuppance.

oh, no, the series' Big Bad is still at large I'm afraid

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

oh, no, the series' Big Bad is still at large I'm afraid

I think the comeuppance will happen in Wolverine. If it’s XForce it’ll have to time jump a little since this issue happened before the last issue of Wolverine.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Rochallor posted:

Along those lines, are there any Marvel characters who are mutants in that sense, ie having some kind of power naturally but not being a capital-M Mutant? No radioactive spider, no Eye of Agamatto, etc., just being able to conjure fire naturally? X-Men has been popular for so long I doubt there's anybody whom they wouldn't have just made a mutant, but it would be interesting to see if there's some kind of mutant/Mutant solidarity there.

I mean depending on how you count powers, you could count Valeria Richards. Like she's been explicitly stated to not be a mutant but also she was a supergenius at 3 so something's not normal

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I am pretty sure Beast will be dealt with in Wolverine. As Sage and Logan are united in taking him down there.

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

I have always said Cain should have a mostly useless mutant power entirely unrelated to his being Juggernaut and his connection to Cytorrak just masks his X-gene from scans and Cerebro.

Perfect accent imitation is my go to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I kind of like that he is not a mutant.